Search for todos stopped working

For the past couple of years, I have relied heavily on saved searches containing "todo:false", and it has stopped working on iOS. The following searches "todo:" "todo:true" and "todo:false" should only return notes with checkboxes, notes with checked checkboxes and notes with unchecked checkboxes, respectively. Instead, they simply return all notes.

I'm on v7.9.2.318622. The problem may have coincided with the most recent update, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever seen this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks for your help!

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Larry Rogers said:

The following searches "todo:" "todo:true" and "todo:false" should only return notes with checkboxes, notes with checked checkboxes and notes with unchecked checkboxes, respectively. Instead, they simply return all notes.

I can confirm this behavior for "todo:false" on EN iOS 7.9.2.

This search returned ALL notes, where in EN Mac and EN Web, it returned 393 Notes.

I suggest you submit a bug report, which it clearly is.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• Level 5
11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

can confirm this behavior for "todo:false" on EN iOS 7.9.2.

This search returned ALL notes, where in EN Mac and EN Web, it returned 393 Notes.

This oversight by Evernote is a bad sign. Every time I see one of these major screwups, I wonder if there is a Quality Control group that double checks their updates. They should have a written checklist to confirm the basics still work.

I could understand something minor slipping through the update process, but this is CORE FUNCTION used frequently by the search grammar. If there is a major blunder in an update, hold off releasing it until the error is repaired.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

This oversight by Evernote is a bad sign. Every time I see one of these major screwups, I wonder if there is a Quality Control group that double checks their updates. They should have a written checklist to confirm the basics still work.

Yep, inadequate QC/testing and releasing of obvious bug has been one of my chief complaints for at least a couple of years now. @GrumpyMonkey commented in another thread he didn't know of any broken promises by former CEO Libin.  Well, this is one.  Libin promised in Jan 2014 that he would improve quality and focus on their core product.  Didn't happen.  See Evernote CEO Promises to Fix Stability Issues, Will Focus on Core Features Going Forward 

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Yep, inadequate QC/testing and releasing of obvious bug has been one of my chief complaints for at least a couple of years now. @GrumpyMonkey commented in another thread he didn't know of any broken promises by former CEO Libin.  Well, this is one.  Libin promised in Jan 2014 that he would improve quality and focus on their core product.  Didn't happen.  See Evernote CEO Promises to Fix Stability Issues, Will Focus on Core Features Going Forward 

and, the product did improve. perhaps not as much as we would have liked, or in the way we would have liked. search problems hardly seem to be stability issues either. but, that's neither here nor there, as phil libin is not the ceo now and this is a bug that has occurred under o'neill's leadership. he is the one you wrote so positively about as a complete change from libin. remember? i'm not sure why i'm getting called out in this thread for what i said elsewhere in another context.

the fact is that there are bugs and there will be bugs in the software, especially while they are churning through staff (i think they are looking for a lead ios developer now), committing to frequent updates, and making major changs to the product. it's the same story, different place in the score. as i've said many times -- pinning such problms on individuals (like phil) while ignoring the systemic issues will continue to produce unsatisfactory results. it may feel good to pile all of the problems onto phil's back, because that means they all disappeared when he left, but that's not how the world works.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

and, the product did improve. perhaps not as much as we would have liked, or in the way we would have liked

Sorry, I have to disagree.  I was referring to quality problems.  Evernote continued to prematurely issue releases that just didn't have a few minor bugs, but had obvious, major bugs in multiple products.  From personal experience, I know this to be true with EN Mac and EN iOS.  I saw no improvement in EN Mac quality until just a few months ago, after Libin left.  EN iOS had series of rapid-fire, very buggy releases starting with the iOS 9 versions.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 9:03 AM, annah said:

Hi all, thanks for reporting this. We are indeed aware of this issue, and our development team is investigating. I'll update this post when I hear more from them. 

Any updates on this Annah?  Saved searches not working on my mobile devises is not acceptable.  I rely on this for my organizational system.  Please give us an update.

• Ex Employees

Hi again, thanks for your patience. Some progress has been made on this and we hope to have a fix out soon. In the meantime, here is a workaround: search with _en_todo instead of todo:*, _en_todo_false instead of todo:false and en_todo_true instead of todo:true. You can create temporary saved searches with this syntax so that your workflow isn't hindered while we continue to work on the issue.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, annah said:

In the meantime, here is a workaround: search with _en_todo instead of todo:*, _en_todo_false instead of todo:false and en_todo_true instead of todo:true

Those workarounds seem to work in EN iOS, but not in EN Mac 6.3.  The normal todo:* is still working in EN Mac.

Typing an underscore ("_") on an Apple iOS device is very slow.  You have go to the numbers layout, and the the special chars layout each time.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived