Evernote for Mac 6.4 Beta 1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We have release Evernote for Mac 6.4 Beta 1.

• Added new chat button to the WorkChat view.  We'll be removing the new chat button from the default toolbar so this is the beginning of this transition.
  • Changed the behavior when clearing search.  We now return you to your previous note or view.  Let us know if this subtle new behavior works or not.  
  • Improved search highlighting so that it highlights only words that start with the search phrase.  Before we would highlight even segments within words resulting in too many things being highlighted.  This does not change the behavior in the find within notes feature.
  • Fixed an issue where Evernote didn't remember the last note you were on when restarting the app.
  • Continued to improve stability.

You can get the beta release from here.

As always let us know if you find any issue in the beta.  Thanks for helping the Evernote for Mac community.

37 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I agree that performance can always be better.

@SoftwareMarcus:  You make it sound like it is a minor drop in performance with no real impact.  Not so.  This had a major impact to my workflow.

This is not about a typical performance-improvement task.  It is about addressing a major flaw in your design that requires nearly 30 minutes to sync one tag to 3911 Notes on a high performance Mac with very high bandwidth.

I responded to your PM.

On 12/30/2015 at 9:45 AM, JMichaelTX said:

After assigning a new Tag to 3911 Notes, it took 29 minutes, or about 0.44 sec/note, for the sync to complete.

Expected Performance: < 5 min since the ONLY change is adding one tag.  No changes to Note content. 
So only the Note header needs to be uploaded.  Very, very small amount of data.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Siberian said:

it would be nice to have option to protect my "second brain" not only on my android and iPad but on my laptop too. 

Is there a reason you don't log off Evernote?  It seems to me that your Evernote password would be protection.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Is there a reason you don't log off Evernote?  It seems to me that your Evernote password would be protection.

OMG. Thanks. This actually works. I believe in a past it worked diffrently. When you loged off and then log in again all your notes downloaded again.But I can be wrong about. 

But, anyway PIN would be better solution, because if you are using very strong password it's easier to log in using PIN, also you need to remember to log off every time when on mobile apps with PIN this is happens automatically. 

But best solution for privacy will be password protected Notebooks and Notes, but it seems to me that evernote team strongly opposed to this idea.    

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Siberian said:

OMG. Thanks. This actually works.

I should have added this warning.  To log in, you need an Internet connection.  Otherwise you will not be able to access your data.

4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Marcus, this doesn't make sense.

EN Mac has many inputs that support/allow tags that begin with a special character:

1. Assign tag to a Note
  2. Assign tag to multiple Notes
  3. Search box :tag search like "tag:.NB.Personal
  4. Search box text search (like .NB.Personal)
  5. Find a Tag in Tag view
  6. Create a Tag (why allow us to create tags we can't use????)

Also, the Jump to Notebook allows/supports use of special characters at the start of a NB name.

I'm sorry sir, but your logic just doesn't hold water.  You have ONLY one place where a tag that begins with a special character is not supported:  Tag Filter.

While that may be true for general text in a Note, it is clearly not true for Tags across the board, as I just illustrated above.

If I type in ".NB.Personal" in the Search box, with no "tag:" qualifier, it find ALL 2541 Notes that I have with a tag of ".NB.Personal"

Please change the Tag Filter to accept tags that start with a special character, just like everywhere else in EN Mac, and everywhere in EN Win.
I don't see any downsides to this.  I won't affect people who don't use the special characters as a prefix.

I wasn't here when they decided on the implementation they did so I don't know the full reasons behind it but my guess is that they felt their design made things easier for people. It's much more like Google search in that you can type "Personal" and it would find ".NB.Personal", "Personal.NB", "Personal Receipts", etc.  The user doesn't have to remember the specific tag name.  This wouldn't work with the prefix search used by Windows.  The user just has to remember one of the words in the tag.

With that said, I thought I made it pretty clear that I agreed with you and that we are planning to support both a prefix search which is what you're asking for and word search which is what we do today.  We don't necessarily want to lose the capabilities we currently have.  There is a benefit to being able to type "personal" or "nb" and have it find ".NB.Personal".  If we only supported the prefix search then someone is going to complain that we broke tag filters and that it no longer works the way they expect and the way it has worked for years.

2 hours ago, Siberian said:

I would like to have option to set PIN code for Evernote app for Mac. Same as on iPad. I don't understand why you treat laptop and tablet diffrently. I share my laptop with coworker, freinds even more than my tablet and it would be nice to have option to protect my "second brain" not only on my android and iPad but on my laptop too. 

I would love to hear more about why people want a PIN and why it's not the same as logging out.  We just had an hour discussion about this feature today and are actively talking about it.  I'm a big personal fan of a PIN but there aren't a lot of desktop apps that support this feature.  1Password has it but are there other Mac apps people use that have a PIN?  What if we made the user experience of logging out and logging back in more like the PIN experience.  My use case is that I have a bunch of personal stuff in Evernote like medical records and other things that I don't want people to see at the office if I get up to go to lunch and forget to lock my computer.  I would like to enter in a short 4 number code to unlock it but personally wouldn't want to log out because here at Evernote there's a lot of security steps for us to log back into the app.

There's a pretty big technical hurdle for us to do this feature so the more we can understand what people expect the better we can scope the project.

3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@SoftwareMarcus:  Normally the EN Mac performance on all of my Mac is very good.

As I said above:

So, the cause of the slowness clearly come from two factors:

1. I already had what you may consider to be a large number of Tags (~2,400)
  2. I created about 10 new tags, and assigned them to a large number (3911) of notes

One very curious thing.  Evernote states that it supports 100,000 notes and 100,000 tags, so 2,400 tags is only 2.4% of max capacity.  Shouldn't this be considered a very small number of tags?  Have you looked at, or tested your current Tags View screen?  Can you honestly say that it would support 100,000 tags????

I agree that performance can always be better.  It would help if you could get us a little more information to help us track down where the slowness is occurring.  I've direct messaged you. 

20 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I would love to hear more about why people want a PIN and why it's not the same as logging out.  We just had an hour discussion about this feature today and are actively talking about it.

Thanks for your replay and work at Evernote! You are doing great job! I'm glad to hear that you think about this option!

First of all, I want to illustrate the user case when additional protection is needed. Example: I'm dating a girl. We are watching together some funny YouTube videos on my laptop, then i'm going to restroom and leave her with my laptop (locking laptop or asking her enter in guest mode will be weird in this situation) and in this moment I feel uncomfortable knowing that on this laptop in my Evernote exist notebooks called ADHD and PUA (:rolleyes:). 

Logging out for me not convenient enough:
- it doesn't happens automatically;
- logging in doesn't work offline, when PIN on iOS does;
- it takes time to enter every time my long and secure password with numbers letters and symbols, when 4 digit PIN is a lot faster to enter. 

6 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Sorry I'm replying so late but I was having issues trying to reply in the forums for the past couple of days.  In any case, this is definitely an issue. We had most everything assigned to Helvetica Neue when we launched the Yosemite release a year ago so that it was the same font on all platforms.  Unfortunately this lead to weird kerning issues on El Capitan so the fix was to switch to the System Font where the bug appeared.   Unfortunately switching all of our fonts at once is not that easy to do in our app.  Of course this has lead to different fonts in different places and on different platforms since Apple has switched system font in the past 3 releases.  In any case, this is something we're fixing over time but won't be fixed in 6.4.

Thanks for the info, I understand it. I hope it won't be to long after 6.4 is released though. Thanks.

I would like to have option to set PIN code for Evernote app for Mac. Same as on iPad. I don't understand why you treat laptop and tablet diffrently. I share my laptop with coworker, freinds even more than my tablet and it would be nice to have option to protect my "second brain" not only on my android and iPad but on my laptop too. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

With that said, I thought I made it pretty clear that I agreed with you and that we are planning to support both a prefix search which is what you're asking for and word search which is what we do today.

OK, that sounds good.  Sorry I didn't see that in your previous post.

I do have a few, frequently used, tags with a prefix of "!" that it would be greatly helpful to just type "!" and see the dropdown list of these tags in the Tag Filter box.
I think the followers of the GTD and Secret Weapon methods also have tags that start with a special character.  So I'd think they would find this helpful.

11 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

There is a benefit to being able to type "personal" or "nb" and have it find ".NB.Personal".

I just tested this in my account, and here is what I observed using the Tag Filter:

• "nb" does cause a dropdown list of my tags that start with ".NB"
  • "personal" does NOT find ".NB.Personal"
  • Typing any of the words after tags that start with ".NB." does NOT find that tag
    For example, typing any of the follow did NOT find the tag:
    • business
    • contacts
    • projects
    • travel
    • etc

I would really love to get back to the old "notebook view" instead of the new "list view" but the option is gone.

I know that there is an option in Settings -> Update -> uncheck enhanced new list view (or something like that) but when I uncheck that option it tells me to restart EN but when I start it again it is still in the new list view. The option in settings does nothing accept restart EN.

Please help me get back the Notebook View. I really want that button back !!

mac-notebook_list_views.png

Bug: Only when in "All Notes" view, when I click on the filter by tag button for the first time it will show all the tags. But as soon as I start filtering notes and then clear the filters, it will only suggest the latest used ones.

568e53c2ea4e5_ScreenShot2016-01-07at12.5

As you can see from the screenshot, clicking on the filter button only shows the last used ones instead of a comprehensive list of all the tags. In notebook view, it always works as expected. 

On January 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM, SoftwareMarcus said:

I would love to hear more about why people want a PIN and why it's not the same as logging out.  We just had an hour discussion about this feature today and are actively talking about it.  I'm a big personal fan of a PIN but there aren't a lot of desktop apps that support this feature.  1Password has it but are there other Mac apps people use that have a PIN?  What if we made the user experience of logging out and logging back in more like the PIN experience.  My use case is that I have a bunch of personal stuff in Evernote like medical records and other things that I don't want people to see at the office if I get up to go to lunch and forget to lock my computer.  I would like to enter in a short 4 number code to unlock it but personally wouldn't want to log out because here at Evernote there's a lot of security steps for us to log back into the app.

There's a pretty big technical hurdle for us to do this feature so the more we can understand what people expect the better we can scope the project.

Logging in and out is a PITA when you are just getting up from your computer and are going to be back in 10-15 minutes.  Having a PIN that starts automatically after a set period of time give you protection over other people prying without you (or me) having to remember to log out and then log back in once I get back to my computer and deal with the waiting until it logs in, connects to the internet again, etc.   This way if I share my computer I either know that enough time has passed or can quickly just hit some key combination (maybe?) to lock Evernote quickly.  I do agree that this is much more prevalent on iOS, and funnily I am more likely to share my mac then my iPhone, so I do not use individual app pass codes on my iPhone but I really would like them on my computer for just these reasons.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DontDuckWithMe said:

As you can see from the screenshot, clicking on the filter button only shows the last used ones instead of a comprehensive list of all the tags. In notebook view, it always works as expected. 

I see the same behavior in EN Mac 6.3.

Here's my guess as to what is happening:

1. When you have a Notebook filter set, clicking in the Tag Filter shows you only those tags assigned to Notes in that Notebook.
    1. I find this very, very useful, and hope it does not change.
  2. When you are showing All Notes, clicking in the Tag Filter shows you a list of recently used tags
    1. This is not a bad idea, but the implementation needs improvement
    2. The problem with this is that is a very short list of only 5 tags
    3. IMO, this list should be at least 10 tags.  It would be best if this was a setting in Preferences
    4. It should order the tags by date/time last used, with the most recent on top.

@SoftwareMarcus:  Did you notice that @DontDuckWithMe also is using tags that start with a special character, the period (".") ?

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I see the same behavior in EN Mac 6.3.

Here's my guess as to what is happening:

1. When you have a Notebook filter set, clicking in the Tag Filter shows you only those tags assigned to Notes in that Notebook.
    1. I find this very, very useful, and hope it does not change.
  2. When you are showing All Notes, clicking in the Tag Filter shows you a list of recently used tags
    1. This is not a bad idea, but the implementation needs improvement
    2. The problem with this is that is a very short list of only 5 tags
    3. IMO, this list should be at least 10 tags.  It would be best if this was a setting in Preferences
    4. It should order the tags by date/time last used, with the most recent on top.

@SoftwareMarcus:  Did you notice that @DontDuckWithMe also is using tags that start with a special character, the period (".") ?

I can confirm that the same happens in Evernote 6.3.

I agree that having the last used tags at the top is indeed very useful, but why not show all the tags at once and keep the last used ones at the top? It doesn't seem to have any problems showing all the tags in terms of performance.

As for the special characters, I use them because Evernote for iOS still doesn't support nested tags and special characters allow me to keep specific tags at the top of the tag view on the iPhone.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DontDuckWithMe said:

why not show all the tags at once and keep the last used ones at the top?

I guess it depends on how many tags you have.  I have > 2,000, so showing all of them is neither practical, nor helpful.  That's why I suggested a Pref setting allowing each user to set how many to display.

2 hours ago, DontDuckWithMe said:

As for the special characters, I use them because Evernote for iOS still doesn't support nested tags and special characters allow me to keep specific tags at the top of the tag view on the iPhone.

Exactly.  I think a lot of people use special characters to force these tags at/near the top of the tag list of all devices.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Tag Filter Will Not Allow Tags that Start with Special Character

EN Mac Ver 6.3 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

I consider this a critical feature to make good use of Tags.  Please fix this bug ASAP.

Tag Filter will not allow Tags that start with a special character like:
! ^ . 

However Tag Assign fields on the Note Header, and in theMulti-Note panel, DO allow these characters.
Of course, when you create the Tag, it is allowed as well.

Here are two short videos that illustrate the bug.

Tag Filter

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-Filter-Video.gif

Assign Tags to Note

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-Assign-Video.gif
14 hours ago, trumpetg said:

All these improvements in 6.4b1 are welcome. Evernote is getting ever sleeker with each update now.

Post-search behaviour has indeed improved with EN returning to the previously selected note.

Great work!

Thanks for this feedback.  Would love to hear what other people think about the new search behavior.

In 6.4b1, I find a really terrible bug. In the end line of a list, if you use the command+←, it will mistakenly return to the start of the list rather than the start of current line.

This behaviour is totally different from normal user experience, and it might hurts the advanced user that use keyboard-shortcuts.

By the way, I cannot set Evernote back to the latest stable version---which mentions "the version is not the latest"

Hope these two bugs can be fixed soon. They really bother me during testing.

Thanks,

Qihang

Thanks for reporting this issue.  This appears to only be broken for numbered lists and not for bulleted lists.  It's already fixed in internal builds by our common editor team but I haven't personally tried it yet but will once we have a version to test with.  Please direct message me if you want to go back to a previous version.  This is not a bug but a safeguard against putting you in a state where you might crash if the database has changed.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

This appears to only be broken for numbered lists and not for bulleted lists.

I guess this must be a new bug for Ver 6.4b1, since it works properly in 6.3.

3 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Please direct message me if you want to go back to a previous version.  This is not a bug but a safeguard against putting you in a state where you might crash if the database has changed.

I would be great if you guys would provide a standard mechanism for reverting to the previous release, even if it means exporting local NBs and doing a clean reinstall.
I have one, but it would be much better if there was an official Evernote supported process.  See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac.

It is now a major issue, when you have years of critical data in Evernote, if a new update crashes or is otherwise unworkable.

On 12/24/2015 at 9:22 AM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Thanks for reporting this issue.  This appears to only be broken for numbered lists and not for bulleted lists.  It's already fixed in internal builds by our common editor team but I haven't personally tried it yet but will once we have a version to test with.  Please direct message me if you want to go back to a previous version.  This is not a bug but a safeguard against putting you in a state where you might crash if the database has changed.

If in a numbered list, the last line is an empty line, when the curser is in the second last line (\ie, a non-emtpy line), press the down key will cause the whole page to scroll down rather than to move into the next line (\ie, the blank line in the last)

I don't know what happens, but it seems that there are too many bugs about the list in 6.4beta1, compared with version 6.3 stable.

56814a156def6_ScreenShot2015-12-28at10.4

Some feedback:

Regarding the new search behaviour: I like that a lot. The highlighting works better and returning to previous note is really handy.

Regarding typography: maybe I'm just seeing this now but it looks like you are using three different typefaces. One in the (recent) notes and notebook column on the left, one for titles of note snippets and one for the note summary. I find this inconsistent and hard on the eyes. Please make everything the same or give people the possibility to define the fonts they want in all parts of the app, not only the notes themselves.

56829b11ccc16_ScreenShot2015-12-29at15.3

I'm als a bit worried that your UI designers all have retina iMacs on their desks because the way anti aliasing is handled on my Macbook Air 11" is far from ideal. Especially the note summary is jaggy. The screenshot looks slightly better then the live text on my screen.

Thanks, Jan

• Level 5*

Performance Issue:  Sync Very Slow After New Tag Assigned to Notes

EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5)

@SoftwareMarcus:  After assigning a new Tag to 3911 Notes, it took 29 minutes, or about 0.44 sec/note, for the sync to complete.

Expected Performance: < 5 min since the ONLY change is adding one tag.  No changes to Note content. 

I'm on a fast Mac with very high bandwidth.

My environment:

• 15K+ Notes
  • 2444 Tags
  • MBP-15R, 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 500GB SSD
  • Upload Speed:  116.35 Mbps (per speedtest.net)

Marcus, I'll PM you my Activity Logs.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Does this appear slower than it did before or has it always been slow for you?

@SoftwareMarcus:  Normally the EN Mac performance on all of my Mac is very good.

As I said above:

On 12/30/2015 at 9:45 AM, JMichaelTX said:

After assigning a new Tag to 3911 Notes, it took 29 minutes, or about 0.44 sec/note, for the sync to complete.

So, the cause of the slowness clearly come from two factors:

1. I already had what you may consider to be a large number of Tags (~2,400)
  2. I created about 10 new tags, and assigned them to a large number (3911) of notes

One very curious thing.  Evernote states that it supports 100,000 notes and 100,000 tags, so 2,400 tags is only 2.4% of max capacity.  Shouldn't this be considered a very small number of tags?  Have you looked at, or tested your current Tags View screen?  Can you honestly say that it would support 100,000 tags????

• Level 5*

For comparison, here is the EN Win Tag Filter that DOES support using special symbols at the start of a Tag.
Also, notice how much better the EN Win UI is, providing essential information, whereas the EN Mac Tag Filter shows NO information about the tags.

EN-Win-5.9.6-Tag-Filter.png

Bug in 6.4 Beta 1: Copy Note Link  pastes as "https://www.evernote.com/shard/xxxxxxxx" instead of the note's Title hyperlinked. It also pastes as blue instead of green -- not that I care about colors, but just adding to the detail. Following the link takes me to the internet and then (with "launch application" back into Evernote to the note. 

I submitted a formal bug report, too > but wanted to post here too.

On 1/3/2016 at 9:09 AM, karenjs said:

Bug in 6.4 Beta 1: Copy Note Link  pastes as "https://www.evernote.com/shard/xxxxxxxx" instead of the note's Title hyperlinked. It also pastes as blue instead of green -- not that I care about colors, but just adding to the detail. Following the link takes me to the internet and then (with "launch application" back into Evernote to the note. 

I submitted a formal bug report, too > but wanted to post here too.

We're not able to reproduce this.  Can you tell me where you're trying to paste?  The reason I'm asking is that our Copy Note Link is a little complicated.  If you paste into Evernote you'll get the nice title and hyperlinked text.  This pastes in a special Evernote only URL that looks something like evernote:///.  If you paste anywhere else we'll paste in a standard URL that takes you to the web version of the note.  This is because most third party apps don't recognize the evernote:/// as a link.   However if you do have an app that  recognizes it then you can force Evernote to paste the evernote:/// URL by right clicking on a note in the note list and selecting Copy Classic Note Link.   In any case, let me know if this helps clarify things and hopefully is the reason you're seeing some discrepancy in behavior.  As of now since we' haven't really touched this area and we can't reproduce it we don't think this is a bug.

9 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

We're not able to reproduce this.  Can you tell me where you're trying to paste?  The reason I'm asking is that our Copy Note Link is a little complicated.  If you paste into Evernote you'll get the nice title and hyperlinked text.  This pastes in a special Evernote only URL that looks something like evernote:///.  If you paste anywhere else we'll paste in a standard URL that takes you to the web version of the note.  This is because most third party apps don't recognize the evernote:/// as a link.   However if you do have an app that  recognizes it then you can force Evernote to paste the evernote:/// URL by right clicking on a note in the note list and selecting Copy Classic Note Link.   In any case, let me know if this helps clarify things and hopefully is the reason you're seeing some discrepancy in behavior.  As of now since we' haven't really touched this area and we can't reproduce it we don't think this is a bug.

Oh, you know what? it IS me: as I saw this and went to go Jing you a demo...I used a right-click Paste (so you could see my exact step) instead of my normal Cmd-V. And that right-click Paste worked as expected! And then I remembered I had recently mapped Cmd-V to "Paste & Match Style" inside Evernote due to a specific workflow that I do about a billion times a day and could never train myself to do correctly 1st time. So that was my problem: I was "matching style" on the paste and it was giving me the outside URL. When I choose Paste any other way than Cmd-V it's (of course) correct.

Thanks for bearing with me, and for pasting that response that helped me figure it out. Do I have to do something on the formal bug-submission end to close it out, or can you? You get to mark it "User Error" :P

On 12/28/2015 at 6:41 AM, iilaplex said:

If in a numbered list, the last line is an empty line, when the curser is in the second last line (\ie, a non-emtpy line), press the down key will cause the whole page to scroll down rather than to move into the next line (\ie, the blank line in the last)

I don't know what happens, but it seems that there are too many bugs about the list in 6.4beta1, compared with version 6.3 stable.

Numbered lists definitely took a hit in 6.4 Beta 1 but it looks like they are all working again today in our internal builds.  We plan to ship 6.4 shortly.  There is one more bulleted list bug we just found today that we need to fix before we release.  Thanks for reporting this issue.

On 12/29/2015 at 6:40 AM, Jan Peeters said:

Regarding typography: maybe I'm just seeing this now but it looks like you are using three different typefaces. One in the (recent) notes and notebook column on the left, one for titles of note snippets and one for the note summary. I find this inconsistent and hard on the eyes. Please make everything the same or give people the possibility to define the fonts they want in all parts of the app, not only the notes themselves.

I'm als a bit worried that your UI designers all have retina iMacs on their desks because the way anti aliasing is handled on my Macbook Air 11" is far from ideal. Especially the note summary is jaggy. The screenshot looks slightly better then the live text on my screen.

Sorry I'm replying so late but I was having issues trying to reply in the forums for the past couple of days.  In any case, this is definitely an issue. We had most everything assigned to Helvetica Neue when we launched the Yosemite release a year ago so that it was the same font on all platforms.  Unfortunately this lead to weird kerning issues on El Capitan so the fix was to switch to the System Font where the bug appeared.   Unfortunately switching all of our fonts at once is not that easy to do in our app.  Of course this has lead to different fonts in different places and on different platforms since Apple has switched system font in the past 3 releases.  In any case, this is something we're fixing over time but won't be fixed in 6.4.

On 12/31/2015 at 9:56 AM, JMichaelTX said:

BUG REPORT:  Tag Filter Will Not Allow Tags that Start with Special Character

EN Mac Ver 6.3 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

I consider this a critical feature to make good use of Tags.  Please fix this bug ASAP.

Tag Filter will not allow Tags that start with a special character like:
! ^ . 

However Tag Assign fields on the Note Header, and in theMulti-Note panel, DO allow these characters.
Of course, when you create the Tag, it is allowed as well.

Here are two short videos that illustrate the bug.

This is going to sound strange but this is actually a feature and not really a bug.  As one of our developers discovered, the feature is actually working exactly as it was designed.  Basically Windows uses a simple prefix search so if you type "gif" in the tag filter field you will only find tags that start with "gif" but you won't find ".gif" or "png/gif".  All of these will be found on Mac so in some ways it's more flexible.  It uses a "word" search vs a prefix search.   Of course, this has some unintended consequences.  If you type ".gif, the Mac won't find a tag named ".gif" because the Mac ignores symbols and considers them word breaks to define what a word is.  With that said, I think most people would expect that if you type ".gif" that it would find a tag name ".gif".  So we've been trying to brainstorm how we can do both because there are probably lots of people who've become accustomed to the current way it works.  In any case, we've implemented a hybrid approach that will most likely appear in our 6.5 Beta release.

On 12/30/2015 at 7:45 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Performance Issue:  Sync Very Slow After New Tag Assigned to Notes

EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5)

@SoftwareMarcus:  After assigning a new Tag to 3911 Notes, it took 29 minutes, or about 0.44 sec/note, for the sync to complete.

I'm on a fast Mac with very high bandwidth.

My environment:

• 15K+ Notes
  • 2444 Tags
  • MBP-15R, 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 500GB SSD
  • Upload Speed:  116.35 Mbps (per speedtest.net)

Marcus, I'll PM you my Activity Logs.

Thanks for messaging me directly and sending the logs.  We'll take a look.  Does this appear slower than it did before or has it always been slow for you?  

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

This is going to sound strange but this is actually a feature and not really a bug.  As one of our developers discovered, the feature is actually working exactly as it was designed.  Basically Windows uses a simple prefix search so if you type "gif" in the tag filter field you will only find tags that start with "gif" but you won't find ".gif" or "png/gif".  All of these will be found on Mac so in some ways it's more flexible.  It uses a "word" search vs a prefix search

Marcus, this doesn't make sense.

EN Mac has many inputs that support/allow tags that begin with a special character:

1. Assign tag to a Note
  2. Assign tag to multiple Notes
  3. Search box :tag search like "tag:.NB.Personal
  4. Search box text search (like .NB.Personal)
  5. Find a Tag in Tag view
  6. Create a Tag (why allow us to create tags we can't use????)

Also, the Jump to Notebook allows/supports use of special characters at the start of a NB name.

I'm sorry sir, but your logic just doesn't hold water.  You have ONLY one place where a tag that begins with a special character is not supported:  Tag Filter.

14 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

If you type ".gif, the Mac won't find a tag named ".gif" because the Mac ignores symbols and considers them word breaks to define what a word is.

While that may be true for general text in a Note, it is clearly not true for Tags across the board, as I just illustrated above.

If I type in ".NB.Personal" in the Search box, with no "tag:" qualifier, it find ALL 2541 Notes that I have with a tag of ".NB.Personal"

Please change the Tag Filter to accept tags that start with a special character, just like everywhere else in EN Mac, and everywhere in EN Win.
I don't see any downsides to this.  I won't affect people who don't use the special characters as a prefix.

Archived