Deletion/Purging of attachments

If a note is deleted which contains an attached file, the attached file in the Databases\Attachments folder seems to remain in that folder.  That is fine while the note sits in the Trash notebook, but when the note is deleted from Trash, then surely the attachment should be deleted from Databases\Attachments too.  Should this happen, or does the Databases\Attachments folder just get bigger and bigger with old unwanted attachments?   Or is there (should there be) a purge facility to find orphaned attachments in the folder and remove them?

• Level 5*

Backups of attachments you open from an EN note are placed in the Attachments folder while you view/edit them.  Sometimes they aren't cleared after you close the attachment, been that way forever as far as I know.  Anyway, if you don't have any attachments open in EN, you can safely delete whatever files are in the Attachments folder.

Thanks for this. It's good to know that these are backups only, stored while editing. It does seem that they are never deleted when the attachment is closed! Still, if it's OK to delete anything remaining in the folder when no attachments or notes are open, then that's what I will do.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  For me some attachments.open and close and don't leave a trace in the Attachments folder.  Others stick, don't know why.  I typically purge the folder with EN closed, just to be safe.  :)

• 1 year later...

Archived