How to offline access database when not logged on?

I am using EN premium on WIndows and I have no problem accessing the database without Internet connection as long as I am already logged on. So far so good

But  I have noticed that I am locked off from database access if I am not logged on and have no Internet connection.

Is there a workaround for this?

• Level 5*

I'm a Mac user, but I think it's the same process. As premium desktop users, we have a complete copy of our data and don't require constant Internet acess.  You shouldn't need a workaround, that's usually a mobile platform issue.

What are you seeing tha makes you think you're locked out?

a) I first log off ,

B) cut Internet connection

c) restart Evernote

then I am asked to log on, but if I try to do that I get the error message that there is no Internet connection and I should try later.

So I am basically cut off from offline access.

evernoteLogon.jpg

• Level 5*

If you close Evernote without logging out,  it is still possible to use the app when offline.  If you have logged out though,  it presumably wants to check back with the mothership to make sure this device has permission to connect to Evernote,  and obviously it can't...

@gazumped

Thanks for your answer.

yes I know.

My point is How to deal with the worst case. I am a premium member with EN since quite a few years and I since have collected  a huge number of notes, and they are precious for me. Now, imagine that EN goes out of business( hopefully not!). No more logon to EN possible since their IT is gone. If I am lucky I am still logged on or my local EN database program thinks so. So I probably could EN locally for some time. But invariably, my hardware will change(disk will break or I get a new PC , etc). Then my data will definitely  inaccessible.

It's like owning a gold treasure in safe for which you have lost the keys or the number combination. I still could access an .html export. But that's pretty cumbersome to use, since most of the structure  built into the database is gone.

• Level 5*
On December 19, 2015 at 7:39 AM, ken_meyer said:

I first log off ,

B) cut Internet connection

c) restart Evernote

You're right.  I tried this and got the same results.

I never noticed before; my internet connection is stable, and I haven't logged of Evernote in the last n years

This would bother me too. Also I'm thinking of after the Evernote Apocalypse when there's no company.  We were always assured that whatever happened to the company, we would always have access to our data.

• Level 5*

I'm sure that in the event of a total exit from the scene,  either Evernote would make some escape routes available in its last dying gasps of information,  or its principle competitors beneficiaries would quickly compile importing software before EN left the scene.  If all else fails,  the database is a SQL construction as described here... https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17412-working-directly-with-the-evernote-database-sqlite3-access-to-evernotesql/

Our company is very stable. Having said that, if you would like to export your data so that it can be read by other programs, you can do so. You can right click on notes or notebooks and select export. You have a couple of file types here. The .enex format is our own data format, which is a form of html interpreted by our application. You can also export the notes directly to .html format so they can be viewed by applications other than Evernote, should you need to do so.

Export your notes from Evernote as a backup following this article.

I hope that helps!

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, nohb said:

Our company is very stable. .....<backup export strategies>

Thankyou @nohb.  I agree and wouldn't want anyone to read my postings and think I believe different.

I do a periodic HTML export of my notes. The greatest danger to my data is me doing something stupid and deleting notes.  My Mac time capsule also backs up my data, but restoring an individual note is a real pain.

• Level 5*

I suppose the fringe issue here is that one decides to logout the same night that EN shutters its servers.  If I understand things correctly at that point how does one get into one's local data if one can't log in?  Not something I personally am concerned about, but I think the issue being represented.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, csihilling said:

I suppose the fringe issue here is that one decides to logout the same night that EN shutters its servers. 

It might be more immediate than that, as per the original post.  You are a laptop user; logged out; and somewhere with no internet.  So even though you have your EN data on your machine; you can't access it.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, David_Low said:

It might be more immediate than that, as per the original post.  You are a laptop user; logged out; and somewhere with no internet.  So even though you have your EN data on your machine; you can't access it.

For sure, but there is a solution to that, don't log out. 

No solution to server not there and you have logged out or you have a new device upon which you install EN, re the Apocalypse comment.  Definitely fringe though IMO.  :(  

I'm kind of interested as to why this feature (limitation?) exists.  Not much difference I can see in the state of EN on your machine after File - Exit or a log out.

Archived