End of iOS skitch is a big marketing fail

HerbyDE

Idea

It is okay to finish Skitch in Windows. But a lot of smartphone users searching screenshot tools - and skitch was one of the best in the iOS market. For a lot of people the "first contact" with evernote. They had never installed Evernote for annations of screenshots. But a small and very good tool like skitch was interesting - and in a second step they focused Evernote.

I like iOS Skitch but could live without it. But the taking away from the App store is a marketing disaster - look at your count of downloads in the iOS App store ... Very, very strange to make such a decision.

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It is not ok to kill Windows Skitch. I love both iOS and Windows versions and use them regularly. Annotating in Evernote isn't the same.. I can get the Skitch install file for Windows and hoard it until it no longer physically runs in some future version of Windows, but not iOS. Once I switch devices or get a new one, no way to get it installed short of jailbreaking.

Very VERY bad Idea Evernote. Skitch should not be killed!!!!!!!

• Level 5*

I was soooo frustrated this weekend trying to do what I normally do with Skitch just with Evernote. Did Evernote staff test just how many steps it takes? It was INFURIATING. Reading a book, I wanted to snap a photo of a page. With Skitch, the process was thus:

1. Open Skitch app.
  2. Snap photo.
  3. Annotate.
  4. Save to Evernote.

With Evernote, the process went thus:

1. Open Evernote.
  2. Hit Picture button.
  3. Snap photo.
  4. Save note.
  5. Open note from little popdown because it doesn't take me to the note I JUST MADE. If I miss tapping this step, I have to add the steps of: Tap Notebooks, Tap Inbox Notebook, Tap Note.
  6. Tap image.
  7. Hit Annotate button.
  8. Annotate.
  9. Save.

Asinine. Who looks at this and says, "Yup! A great solution! Let's dump Skitch!" Honest to God, between Dropbox and Evernote, I'm tempted to go back to paper. I'm getting fed up with the products I use getting dumped for worse solutions. Come ON, Silicon Valley.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make there some way to take a shot and annotate it immediately inside the Evernote app. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

:angry::angry::angry:

• Level 5*

Yeah @chirmer, but look at the pretty shades of gray they make evernote in now that barely contrast with each other. This is where resources are being focused instead of Skitch. Priorities, you know. :wacko:

22 hours ago, chirmer said:

I was soooo frustrated this weekend trying to do what I normally do with Skitch just with Evernote. Did Evernote staff test just how many steps it takes? It was INFURIATING. Reading a book, I wanted to snap a photo of a page. With Skitch, the process was thus:

1. Open Skitch app.
  2. Snap photo.
  3. Annotate.
  4. Save to Evernote.

1. Open Evernote.
  2. Hit Picture button.
  3. Snap photo.
  4. Save note.
  5. Open note from little popdown because it doesn't take me to the note I JUST MADE. If I miss tapping this step, I have to add the steps of: Tap Notebooks, Tap Inbox Notebook, Tap Note.
  6. Tap image.
  7. Hit Annotate button.
  8. Annotate.
  9. Save.

Asinine. Who looks at this and says, "Yup! A great solution! Let's dump Skitch!" Honest to God, between Dropbox and Evernote, I'm tempted to go back to paper. I'm getting fed up with the products I use getting dumped for worse solutions. Come ON, Silicon Valley.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make there some way to take a shot and annotate it immediately inside the Evernote app. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Exact!!!

Just tested 7, 8 other screenshot annotation Apps - Skitch is far the best in the App store! So fast and elegant!

Same reason why a lot of people use Scannable (absolutly good product!). Of course you _could_ do the same thing with the Evernote App - but Scannable is much, much faster.

However - I'll stick at Evernote ...

• Evernote Expert
On 28/12/2015 at 8:55 PM, chirmer said:

1. Open Skitch app.
  2. Snap photo.
  3. Annotate.
  4. Save to Evernote.

1. Open Evernote.
  2. Hit Picture button.
  3. Snap photo.
  4. Save note.
  6. Tap image.
  7. Hit Annotate button.
  8. Annotate.
  9. Save.

I couldnt agree more with you. I am a big time EN person. Somehow, I dont use Skitch much for Android and Windows, but I frequntly use it for IOS, only when i need to add TAGS, I go the EN route. I can accept the logic that Skitch is being killed, but why does it exist only for Mac and not for the other platforms? Do Mac users pay more ? Or are we second class citizens? 

• Level 5*
On 1/1/2016 at 7:15 AM, Panzerkampfwagen said:

I couldnt agree more with you. I am a big time EN person. Somehow, I dont use Skitch much for Android and Windows, but I frequntly use it for IOS, only when i need to add TAGS, I go the EN route. I can accept the logic that Skitch is being killed, but why does it exist only for Mac and not for the other platforms? Do Mac users pay more ? Or are we second class citizens? 

I think Mac is keeping it because Skitch for Mac is amazing. All other platforms (except for perhaps iOS) had a super watered-down version. I always thought Evernote would strengthen the other products up to Mac Skitch's standards - not drop them. Skitch is AMAZING. 

I don't understand...  Skitch already works.  At the least, just keep it on life support but with no enhancements.  My hunch?  Evernote is trying to save cost by limiting their developer resources.  And keeping Skitch as a separate product takes some number of cycles.

Forget the fact that customers found it a WONDERFUL tool and a great compliment to Evernote.  Get the image the way you want it, then push it into Evernote cleanly.  How hard is that?  Sounds like a grab to force more people to push ***** into Evernote, just to edit it and pull it back out again.  BAD user experience...

Well Skitch is still in the App store and working fine on my iPhone, so Kudos to the Evernote folks keeping this app going!

Hopefully Evernote will put some resources into keeping the app going since I find it really useful. Other companies like TechSmith which own Camtasia and SnagIt don't have as robust of an iOS app (Fuse really pales in comparison).

Long Live Evernote!

Archived