search within a note

Not possible (yet) I think - unless you open a Word or PDF document in an editor that includes it's own internal search options.

Thank you.

This is unbelievable!

If Evernote don't add this feature I'm not going to renew my Premium account!

• Level 5*

Well,  best I'm aware,  no-one has noticed the lack until your query just;  and Evernote almost certainly won't add this single feature before your next subscription is due - unless they already have it in hand and roll it out in the next update.  It's a reasonable feature request - let's see what happens...

• Level 5*

I sit corrected (and more aware.. :)). 

The problem up to now may have been the editor software,  which didn't allow for features like better tables / bullet / indents etc;  https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

That's changed recently,  so there is a better chance of this being delivered now.  Maybe.  Evernote don't (usually) comment,  so we'll probably still have to wait and see...

I sit corrected (and more aware.. :)). 

The problem up to now may have been the editor software,  which didn't allow for features like better tables / bullet / indents etc;  https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

That's changed recently,  so there is a better chance of this being delivered now.  Maybe.  Evernote don't (usually) comment,  so we'll probably still have to wait and see...

Thanks for the link, gazumped :)

Let's hope you're right and we'll see this feature implemented soon :D

Hello all,

Please refer to Karen's post here.

Hi folks!

Sorry this thread hasn't been addressed properly - sometimes requests fall through the cracks, so thank you for bringing this to the top of the threadlist.

We have a (large) number of feature requests in our backlog, but this is something we're considering working on. Can any of your provide some use cases for the search in note feature? How often would you use this feature? Do you use this feature on other platforms? What is the workflow you do that requires search in note (specifically, what would you do after you had a successful search)? Answers to these questions will help us better understand and prioritize the feature request.

Thanks for giving us the feedback, and keep the requests coming! It helps us make our products better.

-Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote mavens (Steve Dotto, for example) had convinced me that I did not need to structure my EN notes -- just use the EN search feature - you'll love it! Not if I can't home in on a specific statement when I need to - like from my phone. E.g.: I'm trying to contact Roku customer service and need my account number and serial number which I have stored in my EN "accounts" note (200 or so long entries). I search for "Roku"  and find the  "accounts" note but - no joy finding the specific account. The clumsy search function makes EN on android almost useless. 

• Level 5*

"almost useless" seems kind of harsh for a feature that successfully searched your data and found the notes with your search term.

I can understand the approach to using search instead of structuring notes.  It saves time and hassle - just file the note and possibly add keywords in the title.  And in your case, you found the note without structuring. 

My preference is to use a hierarchy of tagging, but I appreciate having the search feature as backup.

"Almost useless" is my calibrated assessment of EN for Android in this situation. "Almost useful"  would be harsh. I do structure my tags and, typically, I use more concise notes, however, in this case, I am using a note that had grown quite large as a general purpose desktop text file before I imported it. The note contains over 300 entries (some with up to 50 sub-topics) and breaking it into 500 or more separate notes would be a hassle. On the desktop, this works great, and using EN with long notes there is wonderfully productive, so my comment does not apply there. I avoid Apple products, particularly iOS (but that is a separate topic) so changing mobile devices and acquiring further limitations is not a solution. I use EN on my Android phone to capture ideas and images on the fly, but if I cannot recall what I need except from a desktop, half of the value of the mobile system is lost. 

• Level 5*

FWIW I have a few long notes 'inherited' from former lives,  although I've now fully accepted the 'make a new note' philosophy for all new information.  The majority of my notes are one 'screenful' on my phablet,  or very much longer - up to 400 pages - PDF files. 

The legacy notes however still contain (some) useful information,  and I deal with those nuggets of data in the same way I deal with all the curation details that come with a big database of information - retitling / tagging / deleting etc - and that is: when I have cause to look at them.  A 'just in time' method works fine - I'm not going to spend hours tidying things up,  but when something sore thumbs its way into the pile,  it gets fixed.

In this case a useful nugget I find in a long text will either get ripped out of the original note and saved separately under its own title,  or that note will get printed to PDF in its entirety,  because while Evernote can't point to a word in a specific long document on some platforms,  my PDF reader can...

• 6 months later...

I was considering going premium, but beacuse of the lack of this feature I'm considering moving to another app. I'm possibly going to miss EN but that search within a note (especially big/long ones) is kind of basic. Please don't consider my reaction basic.. but you know it's 2016. I'll start by trying Google Docs, because it also has offline notes but I'm open to suggestions. Cheers

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2015 at 10:03 AM, oded said:

How do I search for certain text within a note? (Ctrl-F on desktop app)

Surprised this has not been implemented yet. Just switched from ios to android and was shocked that this feature is lacking. 

6 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Hello @er231,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. This was recently added in Evernote for Android over the summer. To access this, please try the following when within the note.

• Tap on the three dots
  • Select "Search in note"

Thanks!

When I tap on the three dots the options I see are:
Add to home screen
Add to shortcuts
Delete
Share note
More sharing
Go to source
Settings

No "Search in note" option :(

What am I missing?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, oded said:

Add to home screen
Add to shortcuts
Delete
Share note
More sharing
Go to source
Settings

What am I missing?

Hi.  What version of Evernote do you have?

• Level 5
13 hours ago, oded said:

Add to home screen
Add to shortcuts
Delete
Share note
More sharing
Go to source
Settings

What am I missing?

That's very strange. I also have v. 7.9.7, and when I tap the 3-dot menu while viewing a note, I see:

Share note

Search in Note

More sharing

Copy note link

Duplicate

Add to shortcuts

Add to home screen

Simplify formatting

Go to source

Context

Clip again

Settings

Statistics

Delete note

I wonder if something is wrong with your installation. If you don't have any purely local notes, you might try uninstalling Evernote and installing it again from Google Play. All your note information will download again after the reinstall (if you don't have any purely local notes!), so you won't lose anything.

• 1 month later...

You can't see the "search in note" option unless you open a specific note first which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.   It astounds me that evernote would argue the usefulness of search functions being able to scan inside notes also.  That is fundamental guys !

If I forget where I filed something in my thousands of notes , I want to be able to select "All Notebooks" and search for any term and get a list of the notes that contain that term, just like the desktop version.   I just realized the mobile app will not do this.  I may begin experimenting with one-note.

Regards,   Jay

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Jaybird said:

You can't see the "search in note" option unless you open a specific note first which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

"Search in note" does exactly what it says it does: searches for instances of the search text inside a single note (and allows you to search backwards or forwards for the same text). That's why it doesn't say "Search in notes".

5 hours ago, Jaybird said:

If I forget where I filed something in my thousands of notes , I want to be able to select "All Notebooks" and search for any term and get a list of the notes that contain that term, just like the desktop version.   I just realized the mobile app will not do this.

The Android application certainly does do this. Choose "All Notes", or choose a single notebook, tap on the the search tool (the magnifying glass icon), and type in your text, then tap on the magnifying glass on your keyboard. The result will be a list of notes that contain that text. You can search for other stuff as well, e.g. tags, etc.

I stand corrected, my desk top version automatically shows all the notebooks where the item is found before I even finish typing, and the mobile app for some reason shows only one notebook until I hit the search key (magnifying glass), then all notebooks where the search term was found suddenly appear.  This behavior along with this topic content made me jump to an incorrect conclusion.

Apologies, the mobile app does indeed search all notebooks AND all content inside notebooks just as the desktop version does as far as I can tell.

Regards,   Jay

• Level 5*

The desktop applications have all notes available, and so special indexing can be maintained on the device that aids in doing search-as-you-type. The mobile apps may not have all notebooks available (only offline notebooks are guaranteed), so I'm guessing they don't have that sort of indexing available. So you gotta tap the button.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Jaybird said:

I stand corrected, my desk top version automatically shows all the notebooks where the item is found before I even finish typing, and the mobile app for some reason shows only one notebook until I hit the search key (magnifying glass), then all notebooks where the search term was found suddenly appear.  This behavior along with this topic content made me jump to an incorrect conclusion.

Apologies, the mobile app does indeed search all notebooks AND all content inside notebooks just as the desktop version does as far as I can tell.

Regards,   Jay

2 hours ago, jefito said:

The desktop applications have all notes available, and so special indexing can be maintained on the device that aids in doing search-as-you-type. The mobile apps may not have all notebooks available (only offline notebooks are guaranteed), so I'm guessing they don't have that sort of indexing available. So you gotta tap the button.

I've found this behavior slightly baffling, though not really a serious slow-down to my work. Thanks for suggesting an explanation, Jeff.

Archived