Evernote for Mac 6.3 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We're starting to roll out Evernote for Mac 6.3 to customers.  The official release notes are:

New:

• Some people were unwittingly deleting notes by hitting ⌫. Totally our fault for not putting a safety on the deleter. So we changed the key command to ⌫, which is much harder to do on accident (and is equivalent to Finder’s shortcut key).

• We also added a preference to disable auto-formatting of bulleted lists and emojis, for those who want a little more control.

Fixed:

• Fixed an issue where font information was lost when copying from Evernote.

• Fixed an issue where URLs for web-clipped notes wouldn't appear.

• Improved tag auto-complete menu performance.

• Improved El Capitan visual and stability performance.

Thanks again for directing any issues or comments to this post so it's easier for us to find and address. I also want to apologize to Mac App Store free users who may have seen the upgrade notice a lot around Black Friday. I want to assure you that this was not intentional or a change in policy. This was simply a bug that was introduced by our service team when creating this one-time promotion.

I'm also hoping you're seeing an improvement in stability. We are seeing a significant drop in crashes with the release of 6.2 and we believe 6.3 will continue this progress. If you do crash we display a dialog that asks for your name and email when you launch the app again. Please fill this out. This is how we track crashes and we are actively fixing the top issues in every release.

If you want to download the app now you can get 6.3 here. We've submitted 6.3 to the Mac App Store and will release it once Apple gives us the go ahead.

67 replies to this idea

using Macbook pro (Latest OS 10.11.2 El Capitan):

I wanted:

I used to be able to simply drag files from my evernote to my desktop (videos is still ok), but pictures and they just make copies onto desktop, and that's it. I can use them to do whatever..

Now the Problem (after upgraded to 6.3 Evernote I guess?):

Every time I drag a file (pictures and animated gif) to my desktop, it says untitled clipping -> and this has nothing in it or I can't open with anytihng. For Animated gifs, when I use preview or gimp to open, export onto desktop, they often won't function as animated anymore once I posted to the internet, internally it looks ok when I preview it 

How can I fix this?

I'm having the same issue, when I drag an image out of evernote now it creates an empty document titled something along the lines of "Untitled clipping 2.textClipping".

It's quite a large document (1.5mb) so it seems like the image info is perhaps in there. When I double click on it in the finder it comes up with an empty box that says "Clipping contents: rich text (RTF)". I tried opening with word and text edit but it didn't reveal anything. 

Before I was able to drag the image to the desktop or another application. Now no can do. Seems like a bug.

Evernote Version 6.3 (452849 App Store)

Mac OS Version 10.11.2 (15C50)

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Contact support. this sounds like a corruption on your database. They might be able to fix it, but I suspect they will help you wipe your local copy of the evernote database, then install and let it download a fresh copy from their server.

And I assume you've rebooted your Mac just in case.

Thank you. I figured out how to remove all local files and then reinstalled it, and it seemed to do the trick :)

• Level 5*

2 hours ago, Diana Pedersen said:

I just installed the latest version of Evernote (6.3) on my Mac Book Air with OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), and now I can't start the Evernote app anymore.

It shuts down as soon as I tries to start it.

I also tried remove it and install an earlier version, but then it shuts down complaining the files I have stored locally are for a newer version. So right now I'm forced to use the webb version.

Anyone have any suggestions to solution? Is this a known bug?

Contact support. this sounds like a corruption on your database. They might be able to fix it, but I suspect they will help you wipe your local copy of the evernote database, then install and let it download a fresh copy from their server.

And I assume you've rebooted your Mac just in case.

I just installed the latest version of Evernote (6.3) on my Mac Book Air with OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), and now I can't start the Evernote app anymore.

It shuts down as soon as I tries to start it.

I also tried remove it and install an earlier version, but then it shuts down complaining the files I have stored locally are for a newer version. So right now I'm forced to use the webb version.

Anyone have any suggestions to solution? Is this a known bug?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gmmonty3 said:

Doesn't matter. PNG or JPG. Side question- you guys ever thought of allowing video embed from YouTube and Vimeo- this would be incredibly useful

Haven't tested in the new forum, but dropbox was allowed on the old, so you could just upload a video there and it would play in a new window assuming you shared it properly.

On 12/19/2015 at 8:32 PM, gmmonty3 said:

whether the images were added as part of a"clipping" from the browser plugin, or dragged into a note from the desktop, I get this problem. Essentially EN is in only for images for me, which really limits usefulness.

Is anyone else seeing this.  I still can't reproduce the issue.  What image format are you using?

4 hours ago, gmmonty3 said:

I am unable to drag images from Evernote to the Mac Desktop. A file titled "untitled clipping" appears instead with no content. OS X 10.11.2 Evernote 6.3

I can't reproduce this issue.  Can you tell me what image format you're using?  Also how did you get the image into Evernote?  Did you drag from a web page into Evernote?  Sometimes this causes problems because I think there may be an issue with us picking up the extension on the drag and drop operation and if we don't have the extension then there are issues when you drag it to the desktop.  Not positive but I seem to remember issues with that flow.

23 hours ago, jonathanwthomas said:

You've now made it TOO difficult to delete a note. Pressing either delete key on a Mac keyboard just gives you an annoying tone. Please give the option to disable Command + Delete and put it back to just delete. Accidentally deleting a note is not that big of a deal when they automatically go to the trash and can be recovered right away. You've solved a problem that doesn't exist.

We made this change based on what we were seeing in support.  Support found that many of the people they were helping who reported losing data actually deleted their notes by accident and thankfully we were able to recover their notes from the trash.  I realize it's a pain for people who liked the old way and some will think it's a bug but we really wanted to make sure we decreased the number of people who accidentally deleted their notes and I think this solves that problem.  There are still lots of ways to delete a note.  The trash button in the note itself.  Right click in the note list and of course the new key command.  I'm hoping you can find an alternative that meets your work flow.

11 hours ago, JMichael said:

I also disagree.  How hard can it be to press ⌘⌫ ???

Many users have reported accidently deleting Notes and not even know it until months later.

This provides great protection against that.

It's not hard at all.  It's standard Mac behavior.  This is a great addition.

I hate having to go through the trash every so often and see if anything is there that's not supposed to be.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, jonathanwthomas said:

You've now made it TOO difficult to delete a note.

I also disagree.  How hard can it be to press ⌘⌫ ???

Many users have reported accidently deleting Notes and not even know it until months later.

This provides great protection against that.

• Level 5*

You've now made it TOO difficult to delete a note. Pressing either delete key on a Mac keyboard just gives you an annoying tone. Please give the option to disable Command + Delete and put it back to just delete. Accidentally deleting a note is not that big of a deal when they automatically go to the trash and can be recovered right away. You've solved a problem that doesn't exist.

I disagree. It is too easy to delete because you can be in note selection mode vs text mode and DEL deletes the note. CMD-DEL is the same key stroke to delete a file from Finder, so this is actually more logical.

As someone that has had to go and find a note and undelete it way WAY too often since getting a Mac earlier this year, this was a very VERY welcome change. 

As noted when it was implemented, it was often a support issue too where people would submit a ticket to recover a note and this accidental deletion was usually the culprit.

Plus Member here - Any chance we can change the default double-click action for images?

I don't want to use to presentation mode and would rather have images open using Preview on Mac as opposed to command-clicking to open-with Preview.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Fat Panda said:

It was not clear to me from the instructions how local notebooks would be affected by switching from deleting app store evernote and replacing it with the direct download one.  I assumed everything needed to be synced with the cloud to be sure of not loosing everything.

Kudos for recognizing data in Local Notebooks is at risk.  It’s not sync’d by Evernote and therefor not backed up.  Users should backup their Local Notebooks, typically with an export to a .enex file.  Usually it’s separate export for each notebook 

To restore local notebook data to a database, the .enex file is imported

It was not clear to me from the instructions how local notebooks would be affected by switching from deleting app store evernote and replacing it with the direct download one.  I assumed everything needed to be synced with the cloud to be sure of not loosing everything.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Fat Panda said:

Local Notebooks that are only available to the Evernote app, and not synced to the Web.  

Correct, Local Notebooks are not sync'd and have no impact to your upload limit

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I would not expect switching from the app-store version to trigger an upload of data
- data would be downloaded as the database is rebuilt

What do you mean by "10gb offline notebooks"?  
Offline notebooks is an IOS/Android thing; the Mac installation includes a copy of the entire database

Local Notebooks that are only available to the Evernote app, and not synced to the Web.  

ScreenShot- 2017-10-23 at 10.50.55 PM.jpg

ScreenShot- 2017-10-23 at 10.50.15 PM.jpg

ScreenShot- 2017-10-23 at 10.51.23 PM.jpg

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Fat Panda said:

What I didn't expect when following the instructions was that I had over 10gb offline notebooks, and just today got an error, that I had reached my upload limit for the month!

I would not expect switching from the app-store version to trigger an upload of data
- data would be downloaded as the database is rebuilt

What do you mean by "10gb offline notebooks"?  
Offline notebooks is an IOS/Android thing; the Mac installation includes a copy of the entire database

On 1/22/2016 at 2:32 AM, WB Cadzow said:

I did the same thing at the suggestion of support, and it fixed the problem for me. 

Here's their instructions:

The first troubleshooting step I would like to try is a quick reinstall of the application.

Before reinstalling, please verify all of your notes and notebooks are safely stored on our server by logging into your account at www.evernote.com. If all of your notes and notebooks appear properly on the web, then they are safe on our servers and will be synced back to the application after reinstalling.

If you have any unsynced notes (they will have a blue arrow in the upper corner in your Notes view) or local notebooks, please export those first by using the steps found here.

To reinstall Evernote for Mac, follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote app
  2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on the Trash and select Empty Trash
  4. Restart your computer
  5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
  6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
  7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

I have had this issue for almost a year.  I was excited to be able to get a fix for it.   What I didn't expect when following the instructions was that I had over 10gb offline notebooks, and just today got an error, that I had reached my upload limit for the month!  So in my case, trying to fix the issue, created a more serious issue. My evernote account now is useless as my other team members will not see any updates until next month.    If I didn't have a second account, I would be totally screwed.   In any case, next month, I may know if this solves my issue or not.  

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Bannon said:

Plus Member here - Any chance we can change the default double-click action for images?

I don't want to use to presentation mode and would rather have images open using Preview on Mac as opposed to command-clicking to open-with Preview.

This. 1,000 times this!

And double-click on PDF. I'd rather it open than do, uhm, nothing, which is what it usually does.

I did the same thing at the suggestion of support, and it fixed the problem for me. 

Here's their instructions:

The first troubleshooting step I would like to try is a quick reinstall of the application.

Before reinstalling, please verify all of your notes and notebooks are safely stored on our server by logging into your account at www.evernote.com. If all of your notes and notebooks appear properly on the web, then they are safe on our servers and will be synced back to the application after reinstalling.

If you have any unsynced notes (they will have a blue arrow in the upper corner in your Notes view) or local notebooks, please export those first by using the steps found here.

To reinstall Evernote for Mac, follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote app
  2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on the Trash and select Empty Trash
  4. Restart your computer
  5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from www.evernote.com/download
  6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
  7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
On January 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, skyhskyh said:

I have been waiting for solutions. Is it only a few users having this issues?

Is there any fix? 

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!

So I was having the same issue where I could not drag images out of Evernote to the desktop or to other apps such as Quickbooks. 

I was using the Mac App Store version. I don't know what the actual difference is, but I had an inspiration to uninstall the Mac App Store Version and then install the version downloaded from the Evernote website. This version doesn't have this problem. Either that or the conversion to the database that occurred when I opened the downloaded version fixed it. 

PS I am on 10.11.3 and I was using 6.4 of the Mac App Store version and switched to 6.4 of the downloaded version.

On January 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, skyhskyh said:

Is there any fix? 

I have also been having this issue for a while. On 6.4 now and issue persists. Using latest Evernote 6.4 and Mac OS 10.11.3

On 28 December 2015 at 4:35 PM, skyhskyh said:

using Macbook pro (Latest OS 10.11.2 El Capitan):

I wanted:

I used to be able to simply drag files from my evernote to my desktop (videos is still ok), but pictures and they just make copies onto desktop, and that's it. I can use them to do whatever..

Now the Problem (after upgraded to 6.3 Evernote I guess?):

Every time I drag a file (pictures and animated gif) to my desktop, it says untitled clipping -> and this has nothing in it or I can't open with anytihng. For Animated gifs, when I use preview or gimp to open, export onto desktop, they often won't function as animated anymore once I posted to the internet, internally it looks ok when I preview it 

How can I fix this?

Is there any fix? 

It's happening with jpg and png. PDF's and regular files are fine. It just seems to be pure image files. 

I can see what's happening, when I drag an image Evernote is treating it the same way as if I was to drag an image and some text. I include the the two files below:

this is a testy.textClipping - This is the file produced dragging the image and a little bit of text that says "this is a testy"

Untitled clipping 8.textClipping - This is the file produced dragging just an image. 

this is a testy.textClipping

Untitled clipping 8.textClipping

17 hours ago, WB Cadzow said:

I'm having the same issue, when I drag an image out of evernote now it creates an empty document titled something along the lines of "Untitled clipping 2.textClipping".

It's quite a large document (1.5mb) so it seems like the image info is perhaps in there. When I double click on it in the finder it comes up with an empty box that says "Clipping contents: rich text (RTF)". I tried opening with word and text edit but it didn't reveal anything. 

Before I was able to drag the image to the desktop or another application. Now no can do. Seems like a bug.

Evernote Version 6.3 (452849 App Store)

Mac OS Version 10.11.2 (15C50)

I haven't faced this issue.  I just dragged out a png, jpg and pdf successfully.  Do you know the file type of the image?

There is one ongoing issue that I'd like to highlight:  Clicking on a NB or Tag in the left Sidebar does NOT highlight the object clicked.

• This is particularly poor UI and confusing for Tags.  After clicking on the tag, the Tag Filter is set, but the tag used is NOT shown anywhere.

This issue has been invoked so many times but seems to be a blindspot for the EN team.

In the case of tags, preferable behaviour would be to highlight the selected tag in the sidebar. But if, for whatever reason, the team does not see how helpful this would be to users, at least we should see the tag name next to the highlighted tag icon above our notes, as I suggested a few betas back. 

I see there is now a tool tip naming the tag when we hover our mouse over the highlighted tag icon above notes, but this is poor compensation and not nearly as helpful as highlighting the tag in the sidebar.

• Level 5*

We just discovered a possible issue in Mac 6.3 when a customer has hundreds of tags and they are setting up a new system.  Basically every time there is a new tag added we update a bunch of stuff and normally this is unnoticeable by people.  However, if one has hundreds of tags and they are setting up Evernote for the first time, their system can slow down because we're trying to update a bunch of stuff all at once.   We have a fix that we'll release in 6.4 Beta 1 on or around 12/21.   For now if you run into this please just let Evernote run in the background and complete downloading all of the tags.  If you want to use Evernote during this time I would recommend using the web client.  After it's done, the system will go back to normal.  We don't think this should affect many people but wanted to let everyone know.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

:P 

We just discovered a possible issue in Mac 6.3 when a customer has hundreds of tags and they are setting up a new system.  Basically every time there is a new tag added we update a bunch of stuff and normally this is unnoticeable by people.  However, if one has hundreds of tags and they are setting up Evernote for the first time, their system can slow down because we're trying to update a bunch of stuff all at once.   We have a fix that we'll release in 6.4 Beta 1 on or around 12/21.   For now if you run into this please just let Evernote run in the background and complete downloading all of the tags.  If you want to use Evernote during this time I would recommend using the web client.  After it's done, the system will go back to normal.  We don't think this should affect many people but wanted to let everyone know.

There is one ongoing issue that I'd like to highlight:  Clicking on a NB or Tag in the left Sidebar does NOT highlight the object clicked.

• This is particularly poor UI and confusing for Tags.  After clicking on the tag, the Tag Filter is set, but the tag used is NOT shown anywhere.

I second this. This one thing on it's own has caused me many head scratching moments, and seems such a basic oversight.

I find evernote very good for getting your information IN to it, but it falls short when trying to get the info back out - I often find myself saying "What am I looking at here?" . I want to glance at evernote, see a selection of notes and know immediately what filters (notebooks, tags etc) are used to give the resulting notes.

FYI, it just resolved itself.  I have no idea why or how.  I didn't do anything different, it simply started working correctly out of no where.  I got a message from EN asking me to create a screen recording to show them the problem and when I went to go do it, the program worked without a problem. Go figure, but I'll take it!  Let's hope it sticks!

Bug: I am running 6.3 on a new MacBook. Latest El Capitan updates installed.  Here is what happens:  I create a note and assign a tag to that note.  Then, when I search for all of the notes with that particular tag, the new note does not appear. When I hunt down that individual note, the note is there and the tag is properly affixed.  But when I search all notes by tag, the new note is not displayed.  When I quit EN, then restart, it sorts itself out. But all notes with tags that I create during a log in session are not displayed when I go to search by that tag.

​This isn't happening on the web server.  I tested it and the web is working fine.  So it my iPhone. This doesn't happen on my 2012 MacBook Air (running an older version of EN there). It only happens on the 2 day old MacBook with EN 6.2.1 and now also EN 6.3.

I placed a ticket by email but have not heard back.

​Assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sounds weird.  I cannot reproduce it.  Does anyone else see this issue?

What tag name do you use?  And what is the search query?  Thanks,

BTW, I completely removed EN and reinstalled, reindexed, etc and I still have the same problem.

Tag names varied.  First the tag name was 1-Now (ever see that life hack video where they show how to use EN as a task manager? It works nicely).  Then I thought maybe it was an issue with the tag, so I deleted it and created a new tag called "TestTag".  Same thing.  Tag name didn't seem to make a difference.

Search wasn't done by query.  First, I had the tag listed in shortcuts.  When I clicked on the tag/shortcut, the notes with that tag appeared, but not all of them.  The new notes created and tagged during this log in session did not appear. 

Then I went to the Tag list, searched for the tag.  I found the tag.  It stated that there were 5 notes with that tag.  When I clicked on the tag in the tag list only 3 notes appeared.  The notes that I tagged during this log in session were not displayed.

Bug: I am running 6.3 on a new MacBook. Latest El Capitan updates installed.  Here is what happens:  I create a note and assign a tag to that note.  Then, when I search for all of the notes with that particular tag, the new note does not appear. When I hunt down that individual note, the note is there and the tag is properly affixed.  But when I search all notes by tag, the new note is not displayed.  When I quit EN, then restart, it sorts itself out. But all notes with tags that I create during a log in session are not displayed when I go to search by that tag.

​This isn't happening on the web server.  I tested it and the web is working fine.  So it my iPhone. This doesn't happen on my 2012 MacBook Air (running an older version of EN there). It only happens on the 2 day old MacBook with EN 6.2.1 and now also EN 6.3.

Sounds weird.  I cannot reproduce it.  Does anyone else see this issue?

What tag name do you use?  And what is the search query?  Thanks,

• Level 5*

@Marcus, thanks for sharing this issue when you have a lot of tags.

I have noticed that the EN developers seem to think that they need to be concerned with accounts that have only a relatively small number of tags, like < 100.

For example:

1. The Tag View panel does not work well, and is VERY SLOW when you have more than 100 tags.  If you have > 1,000 it is really bad.
  2. When you first released Ver 6.03 (or so), there were major performance issues with lots of tags
  3. The left Sidebar is not well suited for large amount of tags.  For example, there is no way to collapse all or expand all tags
  4. And now, once again, there is a performance issue with large amount of tags.

Please keep in mind that Evernote limits us to 250 NBs.  I see posts all the time where people are hitting this limit.

Evernote does not support sub-notebooks.

OTOH, Evernote claims to support 100K tags!!   Really!?!?!?

So, the recommendation, by long-time users and EN employees alike, is to use Tags, Tags, Tags.

So you have two basic uses for tags:

1. Replacement for Notebooks/Sub-Notebooks (I call these Pseudo NBs)
  2. Categories that cut across multiple Notebooks and Pseudo NBs

I hope by now you get my point:  It is quite easy to get to 400-500 hundred tags, even over a thousand.

I am probably not the normal, but I like to highly classify all my Notes using Tags.  I have a lot of interests/subjects, business and personal, that I track in Evernote.  So I am now up to about 2,400 tags with 14K+ Notes.  If I really worked at it, I could probably get that down to 1,500 or so.  I've tried, and it is a very slow process.  It is very hard to organize tags into tag groups (hierarchies) in the Tag View.  So, after spending a few hours curating my tags, and eliminating only about a 100 or so, I gave up.

The good news:  With all my tags, I can almost find exactly what I want by using tag filter or search using tags.

So, please, advise all of your developers/designers that they need to keep in mind that Evernote needs to support a wide range of number of tags, from < 100 to > 2,000.  It's a challenge, I know.  But it's one I'm sure you're up to. 

Thanks.

@Marcus, I'd like to bring this bug to your attention.  It was created in the Ver 6 series, and reported nearly a year ago, but still has not been fixed as of Ver 6.3.  It is a big issue for me, since I need to resize large segments of, if not all, text in a Note several times a day.

Since you are rolling out a new Note Editor, it seems like this should be fixed now.

Confirmed still a bug in EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5).

From EN Mac 6.0.3 BUG: CMD+ Changes All Text to Same Font Size

BUG REPORT:  Using CMD+ to Increase Font Size Changes All Text to Same Font Size

Expected/Previous Behavior:  When you select text that contains different font sizes and press CMD+, all text is increased by one point size.  Thus, text with different font sizes prior to this action will still have different font sizes.

This was working properly in EN Mac 5.5.2.

For details see:  https://discussion.e...ion-even-worse/

I can confirm this bug running:

• EN Mac 6.0.3 DirectDL
  • Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Thanks for pointing this out and getting it back on my radar.  We'll investigate.

Using Version 6.3 (452832 Direct), I just lost some information from a note with a simple cut/paste operation between two Evernote notes.

I had two Notes, one prepared beforehand and a new one that I had created and was editing. Viewing the older note, I highlighted some text interspersed with two images, which happened to be the first part of the Note (but not the entire Note) and used CTRL-X to cut the highlighted region. Then I viewed the newer note and pasted with CTRL-V. What I got was the text with "broken image" icons as shown in the first attachment:

attachicon.gifrdj_2329.jpg

(The first icon happened to be selected when I captured that image.)

Then, I tried to reproduce the problem by recreating the text-and-image portion and variously creating new Notes, cutting and pasting, and copying and pasting. I could not recreate the problem (immediately), however, when I was finished being unable to recreate the problem, I noticed that one of the notes I had created ended up looking like this second attachment:

attachicon.gifrdj_2331.jpg

(It was necessary to obscure the actual content of the image: it was a screen captured JPEG of text.)

As you can see, one of the images "survived", but the other magically transformed into a "broken image" icon.

I realize that this seems like inconsistent behavior, so it may be difficult for you to track down, but it has me really scared at this point. While there's a risk of losing (and being unable to retrieve) note content through ordinary cut-and-paste operations, I won't be relying on "cut" with Evernote for a while until you folks can track this down.

This is not good.

Thanks for posting this issue.  I think JMichael might be right in that it's been there for awhile but it's intermittent and therefore hard to track down.  If others are seeing it please post your exact steps and provide as much detail as you can like the image type used or where the content came from originally or how was it created.  In these cases there is probably a specific sequence of steps that causes the bug but we won't be able to fix unless we can reproduce it reliably.

• Level 5*

Using Version 6.3 (452832 Direct), I just lost some information from a note with a simple cut/paste operation between two Evernote notes.

. . .

As you can see, one of the images "survived", but the other magically transformed into a "broken image" icon.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have seen this behavior, but long before Ver 6.3, and it happens only rarely.

I have always been able to get the broken image to appear by one of the following:

• CMD+Z to undo, then re-paste CMD+V
  • Click to another Note, then back to the problem note
  • Paste into a new Note

Until you copy something else, the image is still on your clipboard.  So if it doesn't paste into EN, you can try pasting into another app.

While it rarely happens, it still needs to be fixed.

• Level 5*

The 6.3 update appeared today in my EN Mac update check, and I did the upgrade.

So far, everything looks OK to me.  Although it is still early, one really great "feature" I've observed for the last few production updates is that no new major bugs were introduced.  This (new bugs) has been my biggest issue/complaint about Evernote for over a year now.  I truly hope this trend of no-new-bugs continues. 

I can confirm these fixes:

1. ✅ Turning OFF the new Preference to auto-format numbers & asterisks into lists works, and I can now enter them w/o any auto-formatting.  Yea!
  2. ✅ The Source URL seems to be showing properly in the Note header of all my notes
  3. ✅ Tag auto-complete is working fine
  4. ✅ Deleting a Note now requires ⌫ -- outstanding!  A long overdue fix.

I cannot reproduce the cut/paste issue with images reported above.

I did notice one cool feature.  Not sure if it is new, or I just had not noticed it before.

When you mouse-over the NB name in the Note header, it shows a little button, an arrow in a circle, that will set the NB filter to that NB if you click it.  It also shows a tooltip so indicating.

EN-Mac-6.3-Jump-to-NB.gif

It would be very cool if mouse-over, or maybe a right-click, on one of the Tags allowed you to set the Tag Filter to that tag, or to ADD that tag to the existing Tag Filters.  Right-click is probably better UI for Tags because we also need to select a Tag in order to remove it.

I had two Notes, one prepared beforehand and a new one that I had created and was editing. Viewing the older note, I highlighted some text interspersed with two images, which happened to be the first part of the Note (but not the entire Note) and used CTRL-X to cut the highlighted region. Then I viewed the newer note and pasted with CTRL-V. What I got was the text with "broken image" icons as shown in the first attachment:

post-80297-0-40886700-1449612910_thumb.j

(The first icon happened to be selected when I captured that image.)

Then, I tried to reproduce the problem by recreating the text-and-image portion and variously creating new Notes, cutting and pasting, and copying and pasting. I could not recreate the problem (immediately), however, when I was finished being unable to recreate the problem, I noticed that one of the notes I had created ended up looking like this second attachment:

post-80297-0-13040100-1449613159_thumb.j

(It was necessary to obscure the actual content of the image: it was a screen captured JPEG of text.)

I realize that this seems like inconsistent behavior, so it may be difficult for you to track down, but it has me really scared at this point. While there's a risk of losing (and being unable to retrieve) note content through ordinary cut-and-paste operations, I won't be relying on "cut" with Evernote for a while until you folks can track this down.

This is not good.

• Level 5*

@Marcus, I'd like to bring this bug to your attention.  It was created in the Ver 6 series, and reported nearly a year ago, but still has not been fixed as of Ver 6.3.  It is a big issue for me, since I need to resize large segments of, if not all, text in a Note several times a day.

Since you are rolling out a new Note Editor, it seems like this should be fixed now.

Confirmed still a bug in EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5).

From EN Mac 6.0.3 BUG: CMD+ Changes All Text to Same Font Size 

BUG REPORT:  Using CMD+ to Increase Font Size Changes All Text to Same Font Size

Expected/Previous Behavior:  When you select text that contains different font sizes and press CMD+, all text is increased by one point size.  Thus, text with different font sizes prior to this action will still have different font sizes.

This was working properly in EN Mac 5.5.2.

For details see:  https://discussion.e...ion-even-worse/

I can confirm this bug running:

• EN Mac 6.0.3 DirectDL
  • Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Is it identical to 6.3 Beta 1? My EN on Mac claims that 6.3 Beta 1 is the most recent version ...

It's different.  You may not get the upgrade notice immediately.  We roll these things out slowly.  You can always download it from the link above, select Check for Updates Now in preferences or wait for the upgrade notice to come your way to update to 6.3.

This does appear to be broken in 6.3.  We're starting to investigate it.  In my quick test of previous versions of the app I'm able to get the notebook to be remembered but not the actual note itself.  I tried version 6.2, 6.1 and 6.0.11.

It is possible, that the functionality was based on notebooks and not on individual notes.

I cant be sure, because I have created a special note, that sits alone in a special notebook and acts as a point of reference during my day. That is why, I might have blurred the line between "remember note/notebook".

Petar

So, please, advise all of your developers/designers that they need to keep in mind that Evernote needs to support a wide range of number of tags, from < 100 to > 2,000.  It's a challenge, I know.  But it's one I'm sure you're up to. 

Thanks.

Understood.  This is just a bug that we didn't catch until now.  By the way, in 6.3 we did make the tag auto-complete faster for a large number of tags (>2K).  Hopefully you'll see a difference when typing a tag in the note editor.

• Level 5*

@Marcus, OK, glad to see you understand, and I appreciate the auto-complete improvement in 6.3.

Now, what about the Tag View?  Have you tried it with, say, > 1,000 tags?

Can you guys please take a look at a complete redesign of the Tag view, one that works well with > 1,000 tags?

It currently takes 10-15 seconds for the Tag View screen to fully show, with a spinning beachball until complete.

For example (just to give you some ideas of what's helpful)

1. Greatly improve the text readability
    1. lose the light grey text on slighter light grey background
  2. Button to Collapse all / Expand All tags
  3. Show only Parent tags (collapsed) for a given level
    1. Then allow the user to expand those individually to curate the tags
  4. Scroll Vertically (I hate the horizontal scroll)
    1. Show in pages, with tags/page selected by the user (I'm sure you've seen web sites like this)
  5. Show a alphanumeric index list, single char, across the top
    1. !   1   A   B   . . . Z
    2. Click on any index and it shows tag only for that section
  6. Right-click on any tags and show these options:
    (make these also available on the SideBar tag list)
    1. Move to top level
    2. Move to Parent. . .
    3. Rename
    4. Delete
    5. Filter by this tag
    6. ADD to Tag filter
    7. ADD to Search box
  7. Filter tag list for tags with:
    1. ≤ number of notes
    2. ≥ number of notes
  8. Search for tags
    1. Provide option for tags that start with the text, and contain the text
    2. Show only the tags that meet the search criteria
    3. Again, use high-contrast text

Screenshot of Tag View panel showing terrible readability

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-View.png

Can you guys please take a look at a complete redesign of the Tag view, one that works well with > 1,000 tags?

A hearty "amen" to this! I'm not yet a power user, so I only have maybe a couple dozen tags, but I almost never use the Tag view because it currently adds little to no value for tag management. It's much, much faster to scan through the list of tags in the sidebar than to do the ol' "Where's Waldo?" search through the sea of tag names in the Tag view. For example: quick! Find the tags that start with "P"! Your eyes dart all over the place looking for where "P" is. A-ha, there it is. Then, two minutes later, oops! You resized the window, so "P" moved. Now you have to search all over again. So it goes with a horizontal list view.

The tag list in the sidebar, on the other hand, is very easy and intuitive to use, with only one axis to search visually (just up/down) and a fully functional tree structure for showing nesting relationships. If only the iOS app had that functionality instead of the current "morass mode" like above!

• Level 5*

There is a bug with tags under El Capitan. I just upgraded to El Capitan today.

If I am in a note and typing a tag that has a "-" in it, it won't autocomplete correctly. Under Yosemite, if I typed "2-" it would autocomplete the rest in blue and allow me to select "2-Next" as my tag.

Under El Capitan, when I type "2-" EN turns it into "2-Next-" and none of it is in blue. 

This was working fine this morning and the only changes I've made to my system was the update to El Capitan.

@Marcus, OK, glad to see you understand, and I appreciate the auto-complete improvement in 6.3.

We are re-evaluating all parts of the application but have nothing to announce yet.  During this process we have to look at both the features that are used by lots of people like search and those that aren't used that much but are popular with hard core users like tags and find a path that improves the product for all types of users.  Right now we're focused on search and opportunistically improving areas of tags that we can move quickly on.  Please continue to highlight the areas you feel need the most work.  I am reading these and it's helping me prioritize things for our hard core users.

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-View.png

This. A thousand times, THIS!

I think this design is to notify you at a glance which tags match your search criteria exactly and which don't.  If you click in the body of the Tag area and take the cursor out of the search field all Tags will be easily readable.  

If I am in a note and typing a tag that has a "-" in it, it won't autocomplete correctly. Under Yosemite, if I typed "2-" it would autocomplete the rest in blue and allow me to select "2-Next" as my tag.

Under El Capitan, when I type "2-" EN turns it into "2-Next-" and none of it is in blue. 

This was working fine this morning and the only changes I've made to my system was the update to El Capitan.

This is indeed an Apple bug.  We've reported it several times and Apple fixed it in Yosemite but broke it again in El Capitan.  There's not much we can do here but wait for Apple to fix it.

I would of thought a high percentage of users use tags extensively as that is what gives the most flexibility in organising, not just the "hard core" users?

I would like to add that I tend not to use the "Tag View" ever because I find it completely unintuitive, hard to see things at a glance, and it's a new window covering the notes window which means you are going back-and-forth, ruining workflow.

One simple thing that would make a LOT of difference and not break any compatibility with other users is to highlight the current tag(s) in the left hand pane.

Example

post-258553-0-63915400-1450036955_thumb.post-258553-0-75928900-1450036956_thumb.

By highlighting the selected tags I can easily see at a glance that tags 11, 16 & 20 are selected - something which I cannot easily see with evernote's current no highlighting implementation.

post-258553-0-63915400-1450036955_thumb.

post-258553-0-75928900-1450036956_thumb.

I faced this or a very similar issue some time ago.  I used to have my tags ordered as follows: "H-…", "W-…" and so on with a letter prefix followed by a hyphen.  This wasn't working for auto filling tag names because I would type the hyphen and EN understood that to me "Choose the currently selected tag in the drop down menu and start typing a new tag (starting with "-")".  That didn't work for me, so I changed all "-" for "/", e.g. "H/Cooking".  So this bug might have disappeared for some time and now reappeared.

• Level 5*

We are re-evaluating all parts of the application but have nothing to announce yet.  During this process we have to look at both the features that are used by lots of people like search and those that aren't used that much but are popular with hard core users like tags and find a path that improves the product for all types of users.  Right now we're focused on search and opportunistically improving areas of tags that we can move quickly on.  Please continue to highlight the areas you feel need the most work.  I am reading these and it's helping me prioritize things for our hard core users.

. . .

I think this design is to notify you at a glance which tags match your search criteria exactly and which don't.  If you click in the body of the Tag area and take the cursor out of the search field all Tags will be easily readable.  

Marcus, thanks for the detailed reply.  I know you guys generally can't discuss your roadmap, but it's very nice to know that you are at least considering some of these issues.

With regard to Tags. . .

• Surely support for tags is a high priority for Evernote, since it is one of, if not the most, important tools for organizing your Notes
  • Evernote often quotes or refers to Michael Hyatt as a great example of using Tags.

See EN: How I Organize Evernote: -- Michael Hyatt 

• I believe a Tag View panel/screen can be designed that well supports users with just a few tags (<100) and those with many tags (>1,000).
  • The key is paging.  You see this all the time on web sites and  database apps that return lots of items, even hundred's of thousands of items.  The app display only one page (or screen) of results at a time.
  • This makes it very fast for everyone, and the user with lots of tags has a quick and easy  way to navigate
  • The other key is using tree lists, like you do in the SideBar.  But keep it simple with clicking on a + or − to expand/collapse a Parent Tag.
  • Even if the use has thousands of tags (like me), they can be organized into tag hierarchies, with only 10-20 at the top level.  So if the initial display shows all tags collapsed, then it is easy for the user to find and drill down to the tags he/she wants.

I think it would be very helpful to ALL users if you would show, at the top of the Tag View panel, the list of tag(s) that are currently being used as a filter and/or in the Search box, and allow the user to add or remove tags from this list.

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-View.png

This. A thousand times, THIS!

Sorry Marcus, but I don't see there ever being a case to use low contrast text (except to hide adverse legal terms you don't want the viewer to read).  

You say "notify you at a glance", but if the user has a hard time reading the screen, then your objective has failed.

I see no need or purpose to "click in the body of the Tag area" in order to make the tags readable.

Marcus, we have had this discussion about low contrast text many times.  Can you please explain to us, once and for all, why you guys keep using it, what is the advantage, what is the purpose of using low contrast text?

Hello,

this morning, I updated to Evernote 6.3 for Mac (El Capitan 10.11.2).

I am having the following issue:

when I close and then reopen Evernote, the app always start at "All Notes".

Before that, if I close when in Note X, it will reopen Note X.

I tried reinstalling the app from the App Store, but there is no change.

This functionality is of extreme importance for the ease of use.

Please advise.

Petar

• Level 5*

Marcus, I can appreciate where you are coming from, but I wish you would put some 55-60year old people on your usability teams. All of these really light shades do nothing for productivity. I am not advocating something as stark as a HIGH CONTRAST mode, but at the same time, your design team needs to understand that "50 Shades of Gray" is not a book on design guidelines.

• We also added a preference to disable auto-formatting of bulleted lists and emojis, for those who want a little more control.

@SoftwareMarcus, I could kiss the entire EN team for this! Thank you, thank you, a thousand times, thank you.  :D  :D  :D

Hello,

this morning, I updated to Evernote 6.3 for Mac (El Capitan 10.11.2).

I am having the following issue:

when I close and then reopen Evernote, the app always start at "All Notes".

Before that, if I close when in Note X, it will reopen Note X.

I tried reinstalling the app from the App Store, but there is no change.

This functionality is of extreme importance for the ease of use.

Please advise.

Petar

This does appear to be broken in 6.3.  We're starting to investigate it.  In my quick test of previous versions of the app I'm able to get the notebook to be remembered but not the actual note itself.  I tried version 6.2, 6.1 and 6.0.11.

• Level 5*

your design team needs to understand that "50 Shades of Gray" is not a book on design guidelines.

Maybe they're lost in the  "50 Shades of Gray" and are having too much fun to come out.    :lol:  :ph34r:

Just kidding!   B)

Archived