sync conflict? changes clobbered.

Hi all,

I'm using evernote with a free account on OS X and iOS.

Yesterday I made some changes to a note from OS X (using the native client, not the web interface), then today I made another addition to the same note from iOS.

Now when I look at the note in OS X, the additon is there, but the changes from yesterday are gone.  I am guessing the iOS client didn't sync and get the changes from yesterday, then sent in the version with my changes from this morning and clobbered the version from yesterday.  I searched for other forum threads on conflicts, and everything indicates there should have been a "conflict" notebook (which I don't have) or an addition at the bottom of the note about the conflicts (I did find one of thse, but it was from months ago).

Is there something I should be doing to avoid this?  I suppose I could pay the $5.99 to upgrade for one month and get my version history (this particular change isn't really worth it) but that seems like I'm subsidizing dumb behavior on the client's part and I don't have any assurance the original version is even in there.

--pvn

• Level 5*

Although sync, IMO, is one of Evernote's primary features, it still is not as solid or robust as it needs to be.  So, I never rely solely on Evernote to automatically sync.  I always do manual syncs, and I rarely have a sync issue.

I have found the following to be helpful in preventing sync issues:

1. Use multiple short Notes rather than one long Note that has many/frequent edits
  2. It is best to consistently manually sync, and sync often, especially after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important note
    2. End of Session BEFORE you close or put your machine to sleep
    3. End of Day
    4. Start using a different device
      1. Even if you notice the Sync icon spinning on EN iOS when you switch to the app, do a manual sync anyway after it finishes spinning
      2. I have noticed that the initial sync does NOT always do a full sync.
      3. I'm not sure about Android devices, but I would do the same just to be safe.

OK, so this is a bug.  THere's clearly some facility designed to detect and handle these sorts of conflicts, and it's not working.  How do we report the bug?

It sounds like one of your devices is having issues syncing. Conflicting changes will only arise when the same note is being edited at the same time on two different devices. I would suggest creating a support ticket (https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket/) so we can help figure out which device is experiencing the sync issue. 

Let me know what ticket number you are assigned so I can snag that.

Archived