iOS sync frequency question

Hi

I use Evernote Premium on my Mac, iPhone and iPad, they are all update with the OS and Evernote versions.

I have found that both my iOS devises often do not update\sync unless I force the to sync manually, is this the correct behaviour or should they be syncing automatically in the background?

I find that that when I have added content using the mac and then lease home I end up syncing my iPhone or iPad over the cellular network which in fact I have expected them to sync over wifi at home.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Ian

• Level 5*

Not sure, but I think you have to go to Settings - General - Background App Refresh to enable the option overall and for EN.  Then it should sync unattended.  Again, not sure.  I think I tried it once and decided the benefit wasn't offset by the potential battery consumption, in my case.

Also, in EN on your iDevice you can to to Settings - General and select Synchronize on WiFI Only to prevent unwanted syncing on cellular.

• Level 5*
@iwaddo:

Although sync, IMO, is one of Evernote's primary features, it still is not as solid or robust as it needs to be.

You probably know that in EN Mac, you can set the sync interval from none (manual) to various intervals.

There is no corresponding setting in EN iOS, and presumably it syncs very often (whatever that is).

AFAIK, EN iOS "Background refresh" does NOT enable syncing when Evernote is not the open/front app.

So, I never rely solely on Evernote to automatically sync.  I always do manual syncs, and I rarely have a sync issue.

I have found the following to be helpful in preventing sync issues:

1. Use multiple short Notes rather than one long Note that has many/frequent edits
  2. It is best to consistently manually sync, and sync often, especially after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important note
    2. End of Session BEFORE you close or put your machine to sleep
    3. End of Day
    4. Start using a different device
      1. Even if you notice the Sync icon spinning on EN iOS when you switch to the app, do a manual sync anyway after it finishes spinning
      2. I have noticed that the initial sync does NOT always do a full sync.
      3. I'm not sure about Android devices, but I would do the same just to be safe.

Hope this helps.

iwaddo - On my iPhone and iPad, I have set the sync option to "Synchronize on WiFi Only". (Go to Settings-->General). It has been working just fine. - - - I do this to avoid downloading lots of data over my cellular network. Except for outdoors, it is rare that I go to a place that does not have WiFi.

Once you've got syncing working to your satisfaction, recognize that with 3 devices running EN, you need to do 5 syncs in order to bring their EN databases perfectly in sync. By that I mean, if your devices are A, B, and C, you need to sync them like this:    Sync A, then B, then C, the B again, and A again. - - - Otherwise they will be different.

In addition to the good ideas shared by JMichael above, I would suggest that you regularly "Export" your entire EN database to your desktop computer. Not only does this provide some extra protection, it is the only way that Notes in any "Local" Notebooks get backed up.

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful responses, I see I will need to pay closer attention to keeping my devices in sync especially if I've made a lot of changes on my iMac I will need to manually both my iPad and iPhone before going anywhere that I might rely on the synced notes.

I've also noticed that the 'notes' counter on my iPhone is wrong.  my iPad and iMac say 105 notes whereas my iPhone says 76 but there are 105 as I've just counted them.

I must admit I've dabbled with EN previously and never really got on with it so it is only recently I've made a renewed effort - I would have thought that it was much more mature with some if its underlying functionality.

Archived