Save Search Order in Saved Searches

Grant837

Idea

Hello Evernote:  Being able to include sort order in saved searches has been a frequent guest for many years.  It would be a very powerful, yet simple to use feature, that would really enhance the usefulness of Evernote.

Thank you. Grant

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Joe Spataro said:

I don't know if the feature I'm thinking of belongs in this thread.  The thing I'm wishing to have is for the sort order of saved searches in the Left Panel to follow the same rules as for notebooks and tags.  For example, if I name notebooks like so:

!_Inbox

1. Action Pending

2. Completed

They are sorted in that order.  Characters like '!', '.' and '_' can be used to affect the sort order.  It works this way for both notebooks and tags.  This is not the case for saved searches in the Left Panel.

Saved searches should be alphabetical as well.  All my ! saved searches are on the top of the stack.  If not, try a File - Exit to close EN (not x'ing out), and then restart EN.  Sometimes it takes a restart to reorder any changes that have been made.

• Level 5*
On 4/25/2017 at 3:28 PM, OSAddict said:

Sorting by Tags doesn't exist on the mac, and neither does the check box for Always use for saved search. 

I'm curious, does that sorting apply to mobile and web saved searches or is it only static to that computer?

Does not carry over to IOS mobile or web, only works on the PC.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, OSAddict said:

Sorting by Tags doesn't exist on the mac, and neither does the check box for Always use for saved search. 

I'm curious, does that sorting apply to mobile and web saved searches or is it only static to that computer?

The Saved Search Order feature is only available on the Windows platform.
Not sure if it's "static to that computer".  You'd need two Window devices to test it out
I implemented my own version on a Mac using scripting (project documented here)

You can sort by tag on the Mac using list view.  Add tags as a column and sort on the column

5900bc26da543_ScreenShot2017-04-26at8_25_59AM.png.aefaf237f27541ad5c1ca4e45d8b314b.png

• Level 5*

If you are talking about remembering the sort order of the results of a saved search you can do that in Windows today.  After you execute the search click on the view drop down and select Always use for .....  From that point on any changes to view settings will be remembered.  Next time you execute the search that is what you will see.

Image.png.5d1999f6135e29b0e236f3b1f4f561ec.png

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Joe Spataro said:

Is there an option which controls this?  It isn't working for me, as can be seen in this image.

Don't know what to tell you, mine are sorted correctly.  You might want to contact EN on Twitter, see the top of the page.

ScreenClip.png.f75e3346174712d0efc3cd52a3f9edbd.png

I don't know if the feature I'm thinking of belongs in this thread.  The thing I'm wishing to have is for the sort order of saved searches in the Left Panel to follow the same rules as for notebooks and tags.  For example, if I name notebooks like so:

!_Inbox

1. Action Pending

2. Completed

They are sorted in that order.  Characters like '!', '.' and '_' can be used to affect the sort order.  It works this way for both notebooks and tags.  This is not the case for saved searches in the Left Panel.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Note that the Windows client, as of version 6.3, has support for context specific views: the ability to remember view settings (list style, sort order) for individual notebooks, tags, and shortcuts. See the following for some info: 

Works like a charm as well, particularly in side list view for reminders sorted by reminder date.

• Level 5*

Note that the Windows client, as of version 6.3, has support for context specific views: the ability to remember view settings (list style, sort order) for individual notebooks, tags, and shortcuts. See the following for some info: 

Don't know whether this is supported for other Evernote clients.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-14 at 4:20 PM, Joe Spataro said:

I would imagine easy to implement

If Evernote has a $ for every post that said "easy to implement" ........ :)

Evernote did implement something like this but only on the Windows platform

I implemented my own version for searches using scripting on my Mac (documented here)

• Level 5*

This thread has only four replies in one year,  so it's not exactly a hot topic - but I moved it to a votable feature-request forum.  All those in favor please click the counter at top left.

-and as for "easy to implement"... it could well be pretty simple;  whether it's worth doing at all for less than a half-dozen users,  and implementing before other features that have a lot more votes...  that's  more difficult question to answer.

+1 to this feature.  Request is for ability to include a sort order in saved searches.  Eg I want a particular saved search to show the search results in title order.  I may want a different saved search to show me the results in date created order.  Etc.

Archived