Evernote for Mac 6.3 Beta 1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

If all goes well, tomorrow we'll be releasing Evernote for Mac 6.3 Beta 1.  Here's a link if you want to download it early.  Here's what's in it.  

• Changed key command for deleting a note from ⌫ to ⌫.   This matches Apple's Finder key command for deleting files. Our support team has helped a lot of people find notes that they've accidentally deleted so we hope this small change will reduce the heart attacks that this key command has caused.

• Added a preference to disable auto-formatting of bulleted lists and emojis. We heard loud and clear that you wanted this feature so we've added it as quickly as we could.

• Fixed a number of bugs:

• Fixed an issue where font information was lost when copying from Evernote.

• Improved tag auto-complete menu performance.

• Fixed an issue where URLs for web-clipped notes wouldn't appear.

• Reduced El Capitan visual and stability issues.

One of the big pushes we're making over the course of the next few months is improving search. We'll be making small changes in the next few releases. In 6.3 we're testing a new interface that will allow you to change the sort order quickly. We'll first default to sorting by relevance so hopefully our search algorithms will find the note you're looking for right away but if not we'll make it a lot easier and obvious how to change the sort order so you can find the note yourself. Also this sort order won't affect the sort order of your normal notes. It will only be for search results. This is an experiment so this won't appear until next week and only some of you will see it. For those of you who do see it, please let us know what you think.

As always, thanks for beta testing Evernote and contributing your findings with the entire Evernote community in this forum post. We appreciate your help and for those of you in the US...Happy Thanksgiving.

post-223937-0-01337300-1448568940_thumb.

50 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Major MAJOR thanks for the new delete method keeping in line with how OS X deletes in Finder. I will be in the trash much less often from now on!  :D

As for the sort, please give us an option to override? I don't want searches by relevance. I want them by date created. I think in terms of when the note was created (was it a receipt from last week or 4 years ago?) and don't want random things, like clipped articles from 6 months ago getting in the way of a receipt I scanned yesterday. I can see how some would like it, but others won't. I know web searches are by relevance, but I don't know when a website was created, and often, to get around relevance I still go to the "news" tab of Google to get recent things and not relevant things.

• Level 5*

My thanks also for the change of the keyboard shortcut to delete a Note.

The more consistent EN Mac is with the norm for Mac apps the more intuitive, easier it will be to use.

Relevance sorting

1. Like previously, once we change the sort field it should persist between sessions
  2. I don't know how Evernote calculates "relevance", but I would think that Date Created and/or Date Updated should have a high weight factor -- the more recent Notes the higher.
  3. Done properly, I can see how it could be very useful, if it put my most recent Notes on top that best match the other criteria.

@Marcus, care to share your "relevance" algorithm?

• Level 5*

Beta 1 for 6.3 is not remembering my column width preferences. My first two columns are created date and modified date, and it keeps expanding them. I DO NOT WANT it to show "November 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm" - too big. I only want it to show "Nov 29, 2015, 7:15 pm" - same for modified date. It keeps expanding them when I wake my Mac up (never quit Evernote) and sacrificing the note subject column.

• Level 5*

Would it be possible to add "Index Progress" indicator somewhere?

I got a warning that it might take some time, would like to be able to see as to when it has finished.

I think this is a great idea, both for the benefit of the user and Evernote.

• The user -- so he/she knows what to expect
  • Evernote -- so the user doesn't blame Evernote for poor performance
  • Level 5

Hi Markus,

I realized that even when I have selected to display all notes and click underneath the text "All Notes" in the snippet list the menu "By Relevance, By Date Updated, ..." is opened. Is this a bug or what means "By Relevance" without a search?

Hi Markus,

I realized that even when I have selected to display all notes and click underneath the text "All Notes" in the snippet list the menu "By Relevance, By Date Updated, ..." is opened. Is this a bug or what means "By Relevance" without a search?

This sounds like a bug. Do you have the reproducible steps?  Thanks,

Updated: I think I have found the way to reproduce this.  Will file a ticket to get it fixed.

Hi Markus,

Updated: I think I have found the way to reproduce this.  Will file a ticket to get it fixed.

I'm seeing this behaviour too. Surely this new dropdown menu should only be appearing when a search is instigated.  

More info: it only appears when I click to the left of or beneath the All Notes dropdown (and doesn't come up when I click to the right of All Notes).

And it stops appearing altogether after I have performed a single search and then returned to my regular snippet list of all notes.

• Level 5

Just click below the "All Notes" label. This will open the menu.

I'm still unable to see any of my notes, in El Capitan on beta 6.3.

Screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ts97b5h0futde4/Screenshot%202015-11-30%2008.54.32.png?dl=0

Even though I have over 1,000 notes. Web view example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qn52awird2nh41/Screenshot%202015-11-30%2008.55.05.png?dl=0

* I'm running 10.11.1 with 6.3 beta 1.

* I tried `defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote` both with the helper agent running and without.

* It's been like this since i upgraded to El Capitan, on the app store version, 3 weeks ago or so.

• Level 5*

Screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ts97b5h0futde4/Screenshot%202015-11-30%2008.54.32.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qn52awird2nh41/Screenshot%202015-11-30%2008.55.05.png?dl=0

* I tried `defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote` both with the helper agent running and without.

* It's been like this since i upgraded to El Capitan, on the app store version, 3 weeks ago or so.

Did you try logging out of EN, closing it, and logging back in? According to your Mac screenshot, you have no notes since there is no note count.

Beta 1 for 6.3 is not remembering my column width preferences. My first two columns are created date and modified date, and it keeps expanding them. I DO NOT WANT it to show "November 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm" - too big. I only want it to show "Nov 29, 2015, 7:15 pm" - same for modified date. It keeps expanding them when I wake my Mac up (never quit Evernote) and sacrificing the note subject column.

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  Is anyone else seeing this?  EdH, I'll contact you directly to see if we can figure out the issue.

Would it be possible to add "Index Progress" indicator somewhere?

I got a warning that it might take some time, would like to be able to see as to when it has finished.

Cheers. 

We've worked really hard to reduce the impact of reindexing so it really shouldn't impact your editing experience and we don't expect reindexing to be required very often so this is why we haven't built a progress bar for it.  After reindexing did you notice performance issues?

I'm seeing strange character spacing in my reminders list.

Running Mac 6.3 Beta 1 on OS X 10.11.1

I see that as well.  I'll ask our engineers about this.  I'm also seeing it in the Notebook name at the top ofd the note list.  This might be a feature to show more text but not sure if it was done intentionally or not.

Screenshot:

It looks like your setup is completely broken.  Definitely sign out and sign back in to see if it helps.  I'll contact you directly.

Screenshot:

It seems that you might have both the Direct Download version and the App Store version on your machine.

You could try to delete the preferences (for both Direct Download and App Store versions), if you are ok with losing your local customizations.

1. Quit the Evernote app and the helper2. Delete your preferences using the Terminal app (Note: your customized preferences will be gone.)defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernotedefaults delete ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote3. Start the Direct Download version of Evernote app, aka 6.3 beta1.

Hope it helps.

OK. We're now able to to reproduce this issue.  It appears to occur in top list view only.  Sorry i was looking at side list view and it worked there.  We'll investigate it.  Thanks for reporting the issue.

Marcus - I'm seeing the squeezed up font in the a notebook name too. It may be trying to save space but it looks kinda broken.

I had a chat with one of our engineers and he says this is an OS thing.  I think it can be useful but I agree that the kerning gets a little too tight and looks a little odd.

• Level 5*

I had a chat with one of our engineers and he says this is an OS thing. 

That's funny.   :lol:

The behavior wasn't there before, and now it is.

So it would seem that the app developer has some influence over this.

As a former developer, I understand issues with the OS.  But it's the developer's job to take advantage of the OS features, and develop workarounds to OS flaws so the end user has a good experience.

Just sayin'

I had a chat with one of our engineers and he says this is an OS thing. 

That's funny.   :lol:

The behavior wasn't there before, and now it is.

So it would seem that the app developer has some influence over this.

As a former developer, I understand issues with the OS.  But it's the developer's job to take advantage of the OS features, and develop workarounds to OS flaws so the end user has a good experience.

Just sayin'

Sorry I wasn't trying to use this as an excuse.  We've rewritten a bunch of stuff in the effort to modernize our code especially now that we dropped 10.7 and 10.8 and to fix issues like redraw problems under El Capitan.   During this process we might now be taking advantage of OS features that we never leveraged before which is probably what happened here.  This wasn't a "feature" we actively added.  In any case, I think it's fine to adjust kerning as the space gets impacted but I think the kerning is too tight and looks odd making this a bug.  We'll investigate.        

....During this process we might now be taking advantage of OS features that we never leveraged before which is probably what happened here. This wasn't a "feature" we actively added. In any case, I think it's fine to adjust kerning as the space gets impacted but I think the kerning is too tight and looks odd making this a bug. We'll investigate.

I don't know about OS X, but with iOS, Apple's software changes so rapidly and continuously beneath the app code that it's truly difficult to anticipate what aspects of app behavior might change. That's one of the prices that app developers and users pay for constant improvements.

The alternative would be for Apple to sacrifice design and implementation flexibility for more strict upward compatibility. There are merits to that to be sure, but going too far in that direction – as happened with Windows and many programming language standardization efforts – can result in a stagnant, stifled software architecture.

It takes a lot of effort and attention to detail just to keep up with Apple's changes, and taking the plunge to take advantage of new capabilities in the system can be more exhilarating than one might realize.

Some patience with these things is in order. Evernote is doing a great job being responsive here – in substantive ways, not just to check off the more superficial "engaged users in discussions" that some other vendors have practiced over the years.

• Level 5*

I don't know about OS X, but with iOS, Apple's software changes so rapidly and continuously beneath the app code that it's truly difficult to anticipate what aspects of app behavior might change.

Mac OS X has major changes at most once a year.  It is interesting that Evernote seems to be much more sensitive to major OS X updates than any of my other apps.  I've see major growing pains with Evernote as the Mac advanced from Mt. Lion > Mavericks > Yosemite, and now El Capitan.  I try to minimize the impact of the OS updates by waiting at least 6 mos after the release before I update.

Of course, Apple does provide developers with OS Betas well in advance of the production release of the OS update.

• Level 5*

I don't know about OS X, but with iOS, Apple's software changes so rapidly and continuously beneath the app code that it's truly difficult to anticipate what aspects of app behavior might change.

Mac OS X has major changes at most once a year.  It is interesting that Evernote seems to be much more sensitive to major OS X updates than any of my other apps.  I've see major growing pains with Evernote as the Mac advanced from Mt. Lion > Mavericks > Yosemite, and now El Capitan.  I try to minimize the impact of the OS updates by waiting at least 6 mos after the release before I update.

Of course, Apple does provide developers with OS Betas well in advance of the production release of the OS update.

You apprently don't use Office. El Capitan has been a train wreck for Office 2011 and 2016 users.

• Level 5*

You apprently don't use Office. El Capitan has been a train wreck for Office 2011 and 2016 users.

I do use Office 2011, but as I stated above, I wait for at least 6 months before I make a major OS upgrade.

As a result, all of my apps have performed well after the upgrade.

But your point is well taken.  The Mac OS X upgrades break apps other than Evernote.

But I wonder why?  Are the OS Betas not adequate to give developers an opportunity to update their apps before the OS update is released?

We just figured out the issue with the bad font kerning.  In 6.3 we used the latest xCode 7 and 10.11 SDK to compile the app.  For 6.2 we used the old xCode and SDK.  Updating the SDK has fixed a bunch of El Cap only crashes but it also appears to have changed the way our fonts are being handled when one shrinks the visible area.  This is not something we expected but El Cap has a bunch of font changes that we've had to work around so it doesn't surprise me that this has occurred.  In any case, I thought I would update everyone since there's been a fair bit of discussion.   By the way, this issue doesn't repro on 10.9.

• Level 5*

Here's an interesting review by LifeHacker:

Should I Upgrade to Mac OS X El Capitan?

Overall, very positive.  But I'm still waiting for at least 6 months.  I have no compelling reason to upgrade from Yosemite.

I don't either, but I want to do so when it 10.11.2 hits. My understanding is Office 2016 is stable with that from the .2 beta testers. I like being on the latest as a rule. It may not be smart, but I like it.

Except Windows. I am still on 7. I may use 7 until I die for that platform.

Double-clicking on a PDF in EN 6.3b1 still just turns it blue rather than opening the PDF in an external program.

Are you clicking on the header of the PDF and it's not working?  It doesn't work when clicking on the inline preview and I don't think it has ever worked that way.  I checked version 5.3 and it also required double clicking on the header.

• Level 5*

Double-clicking on a PDF in EN 6.3b1 still just turns it blue rather than opening the PDF in an external program.

Are you clicking on the header of the PDF and it's not working?  It doesn't work when clicking on the inline preview and I don't think it has ever worked that way.  I checked version 5.3 and it also required double clicking on the header.

Yeah, clicking on the document. Coming from Windows where clicking on documents opens them. It does on my Mac too in all apps but Evernote, so I thought it was a bug. Not the end of the world, but it makes it difficult for those of us in both worlds. On my Windows PC, iPhone, and iPad, I can double-click or tap the document to open it. The Mac version apparently doesn't work that way and it seems odd.

This seems to be a bug in Version 6.3 Beta 1 (452785 Direct).

Highlighting text in the middle of a line and then typing TAB indents the entire paragraph, leaving the previously-highlighted text as it was (and still highlighted). Typing a space or another non-TAB character replaces the highlighted text as it should. 

Example, before:

post-80297-0-69766500-1448996026_thumb.j

After typing TAB:

post-80297-0-16732300-1448996037_thumb.j

Note: automatic bullet, etc. formatting is disabled in Preferences in this instance.

• Level 5*

Yeah, clicking on the document. Coming from Windows where clicking on documents opens them. It does on my Mac too in all apps but Evernote, so I thought it was a bug. 

Where do you find on the Mac that clicking on a file opens the file?

The Mac Finder, probably the standard for this, requires a double-click to open a file.

I don't know of any Mac apps that open an attachment with a single-click.

As Marcus said, EN Mac has always required a double-click to open an attachment.

I think most EN Mac users, including myself, would not like it if it was changed to a single-click.

• Level 5*

Yeah, clicking on the document. Coming from Windows where clicking on documents opens them. It does on my Mac too in all apps but Evernote, so I thought it was a bug. 

The Mac Finder, probably the standard for this, requires a double-click to open a file.

As Marcus said, EN Mac has always required a double-click to open an attachment.

I think most EN Mac users, including myself, would not like it if it was changed to a single-click.

A double-click on the file turns it blue. THat is my point. I don't care about a single or double click, but with 6.3b1, and apparently EN forever on the Mac, any-clicking on the inline PDF file only changes it blue, it doesn't open it. This is different than EN for WIndows (double click) and EN for iOS (single tap).

Can you double-click on an inline PDF and have it open on this build? 

• Level 5*

A double-click on the file turns it blue. THat is my point. I don't care about a single or double click, but with 6.3b1, and apparently EN forever on the Mac, any-clicking on the inline PDF file only changes it blue, it doesn't open it. This is different than EN for WIndows (double click) and EN for iOS (single tap).

If double-clicking on a PDF attachment, or any attachment, does not open the attachment, then that would seem to be a bug.

Sorry, I'm not running EN Mac 6.3 Beta 1 (yet), but in EN Mac 6.2 on Yosemite (10.10.5):

• Single-clicking on a PDF (with either inline or attachment view) very briefly highlights the PDF header with a light grey, but then quickly returns to the normal white background.  At no point does it turn blue.
  • Double-clicking on any attachment (in any view) including PDFs, opens the attachment in its default app.

@Marcus:  it would be very nice (but low priority) if a single-click on an attachment header/icon would select it and highlight it in the color chosen by the user in Mac Preferences for "Highlight color".  This is how the Finder works.  This would indicate clearly to the user that the attachment has been selected, and then we could do stuff like copy, cut, delete with a single keyboard key.

You can double click on the header area of each attachment which includes the icon for the file and the file name which will open it in the application that created it.  With that said, it's interesting that you brought up that the Windows app supports double clicking on the preview itself.  I'm not sure why the Mac app doesn't support that behavior but I can't think of a reason not to support it.  It might be technically difficult but not sure.  Can anyone else think of a reason not to support that in the future?  We allow you to double click on an image and go into Presentation Mode automatically so we behave that way in other places.

• Level 5*

With that said, it's interesting that you brought up that the Windows app supports double clicking on the preview itself.  I'm not sure why the Mac app doesn't support that behavior but I can't think of a reason not to support it.  It might be technically difficult but not sure.  Can anyone else think of a reason not to support that in the future?

@Marcus, here's one reason NOT to open the PDF attachment when double-clicking somewhere in the body of the inline preview:

• Double-clicking in the body is an easy way of selecting a word in the PDF text
  • Triple-clicking selects the entire line
  • So clicking in the body of the inline preview functions just like in the body of the Note text.  
  • IMO, this is the most intuitive, useful behavior

If the attachment header is out of view, you can always right-click anywhere in the body and select "Open".

I see no reason to change the current behavior.  Surely you have other more pressing issues to deal with than a low level behavior like this, which, if you change, can have unexpected adverse results.

Frankly, I'd much rather you spend your scarce development time on stuff like allowing the user to select the image to be used for thumbnail, a feature many, many users have been requesting for several years.

With that said, it's interesting that you brought up that the Windows app supports double clicking on the preview itself.  I'm not sure why the Mac app doesn't support that behavior but I can't think of a reason not to support it.  It might be technically difficult but not sure.  Can anyone else think of a reason not to support that in the future?

@Marcus, here's one reason NOT to open the PDF attachment when double-clicking somewhere in the body of the inline preview:

• Double-clicking in the body is an easy way of selecting a word in the PDF text
  • So clicking in the body of the inline preview functions just like in the body of the Note text.  

If the attachment header is out of view, you can always right-click anywhere in the body and select "Open".

I see no reason to change the current behavior.  Surely you have other more pressing issues to deal with than a low level behavior like this, which, if you change, can have unexpected adverse results.

Frankly, I'd much rather you spend your scarce development time on stuff like allowing the user to select the image to be used for thumbnail, a feature many, many users have been requesting for several years.

Got it.  Thanks.  That makes sense.  I knew there had to be a reason because it seems like such an obvious thing to support.  

• Level 5*

Got it.  Thanks.  That makes sense.  I knew there had to be a reason because it seems like such an obvious thing to support.  

I still don't get it. I'd rather double-click to open a file in a native handler than select words or lines in an inline view of an Evernote note. With all due respect to JMichael, I think he outlined a niche use case scenario vs what you initially hit on in your previous post - it is common sense that double-clicking would open the file.

• Level 5*

I still don't get it. I'd rather double-click to open a file in a native handler than select words or lines in an inline view of an Evernote note. With all due respect to JMichael, I think he outlined a niche use case scenario vs what you initially hit on in your previous post - it is common sense that double-clicking would open the file.

Double-clicking on the header/icon of the attachment will (or should) open the file in the default app.

Sometimes, all a user needs is to copy a small portion of the PDF for use elsewhere.  No need to open the file for that.  Just select in the Note inline preview mode and copy.

Perhaps you missed the point of double-clicking on the attachment header/icon vs in the body of the attachment.

Maybe this screenshot in EN Mac 6.2 on Yosemite (10.10.5) will help clear things up:

EN-Mac-6.2-Attachment.png

• Level 5*

Double-clicking on the header/icon of the attachment will (or should) open the file in the default app.

Sometimes, all a user needs is to copy a small portion of the PDF for use elsewhere.  No need to open the file for that.  Just select in the Note inline preview mode and copy.

Perhaps you missed the point of double-clicking on the attachment header/icon vs in the body of the attachment.

Maybe this screenshot in EN Mac 6.2 on Yosemite (10.10.5) will help clear things up:

I don't get the desire for that. Do you know how useful clicking on the header is when you are 3 pages down in the preview? Not at all.

I may be in the minority, but I suspect the number of people copying and pasting data out of a PDF in the EN preview window is pretty small.

• Double-click on an Excel file and Excel opens.
  • Double-click on a word file and word opens
  • double-click on an PDF file and it turns blue. Very useful. 

I don't get the desire for that. Do you know how useful clicking on the header is when you are 3 pages down in the preview? Not at all.

I may be in the minority, but I suspect the number of people copying and pasting data out of a PDF in the EN preview window is pretty small.

• Double-click on an Excel file and Excel opens.
  • Double-click on a word file and word opens
  • double-click on an PDF file and it turns blue. Very useful. 

I can appreciate how that might seem like odd behavior given the discrepancy between the two operating systems, but I agree with @JMichael; being able to double/triple click directly in an inline PDF to copy information is useful.

A significant portion of my time in Evernote is spent reviewing lectures and synthesizing information based on lecture notes. I can annotate lecture slides as a PDF in Notability on the iPad and export them in to notes, specific for each lecture. With the PDF shown inline at the bottom of the note, I can reference information in the slides quickly using a keyword search. I can then select and copy a line of information using a double or triple click, navigate back to my written notes at the top of my note and paste what I just copied to integrate the lecturer's material with my own. Without ever leaving the note.

Here is a quick illustration if you care to see: https://www.evernote.com/l/AFG3B5KC0_lBILnUGBo7-sAumR_XatNCBK8

If I had to leave a note to do this each time, it would significantly slow down my work and likely interrupt my flow of attention on the material.

Hi,

Just downloaded the beta and trying it out. Thanks. 

The focus on search is topical for me. I had an issue with search just this morning. Any chance of adding in explicit dates when searching on modified or created time? Currently there are a number of preset searches that I can choose, but I can't search for all notes created on Oct. 15th, or all notes created between Oct 15th and Oct 20th. I find myself wanting to do that from time to time. 

Hi,

Just downloaded the beta and trying it out. Thanks. 

The focus on search is topical for me. I had an issue with search just this morning. Any chance of adding in explicit dates when searching on modified or created time? Currently there are a number of preset searches that I can choose, but I can't search for all notes created on Oct. 15th, or all notes created between Oct 15th and Oct 20th. I find myself wanting to do that from time to time. 

We do have some support for advanced searches, but not yet have a friendly UI.

Here is the search grammar page: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

You might be interested to read the sections about the use of "created:" and "updated:" operators.

Back to your specific cases:

"for all notes created on Oct. 15th"

- you can use this query: "created:20151015 -created:20151016"

- it will return notes created on or after 10/15, but before 10/16

"for all notes created between Oct 15th and Oct 20th"

- you can use this query: "created:20151015 -created:20151021"

- it will return notes created on or after 10/15, but before 10/21
  • Level 5*

We do have some support for advanced searches, but not yet have a friendly UI.

@ziru:

EN Mac does have the Descriptive Search feature, which supports some English "natural language" statements.

See Discover Evernote's Powerful Descriptive Search 

It would be helpful if you guys added some more statements that you support, and convert to the std Search grammar.

For example:

• Notes created today ==> created:day -created:day+1
  • Notes created this week
  • Notes created last week
  • Notes created this month
  • Notes created last month
  • Notes created in last 4 weeks
  • Anywhere I have used "created" also allow "updated"

You do support "Notes created today", but the translation is wrong.

You currently have:  created:day

This allows Notes where the user has set the Created Date to some date in the future (as a workaround for Due Date) to be included, when they should not be.

• Level 5*

Sorry Ed, but I think this is a "tempest in a teapot" issue.

You can open the attachment at any time, anywhere, simply by a right-click, and select "open"

How hard can that be for a seldom used need?

The question you have to ask yourself, is how much do you want Evernote to focus on this minor issue, given all of the other issues we have?   ;)

With all due respect, I think it's time to move on to bigger fish.  :)

• Level 5*

@Marcus,

Just a quick heads up, it appears that in EN Mac 6.2 on Yosemite (10.10.5), the EN Web does NOT show font sizes different from my default in EN Mac, and when I share a note via public URL, it also does not show proper font sizes.

Here's an example Note public URL:

How to Install AppleScripts or JXA Scripts

For example, the text at the bottom, should be in Verdana 10 font, vs the Verdana 14 font (my default).

Here's how it looks in EN Mac 6.2:

EN-Mac-6.2-Font.png

I'll post more details later, but wanted to advise you of this issue now.

It is obviously important that the EN Web and shared notes properly reflect the formatting in the EN Mac note.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Sorry Ed, but I think this is a "tempest in a teapot" issue.

You can open the attachment at any time, anywhere, simply by a right-click, and select "open"

How hard can that be for a seldom used need?

The question you have to ask yourself, is how much do you want Evernote to focus on this minor issue, given all of the other issues we have?   ;)

With all due respect, I think it's time to move on to bigger fish.  :)

right. because double-clicking on a file and getting unexpected behavior is totally normal and not an issue at all.

• Level 5*

EN 6.3b1 doesn't properly recognize when you are back online. Here is what happened:

• At home on network. Closed macbook. Evernote was open.
  • went to starbucks. Opened matchbook.
  • Was presented with a "confirm you want to get in on some starbucks wifi goodness"
  • apparently before I clicked confirm, EN tried to sync and failed in the background.
  • Got on the Starbucks network.
  • 1hr later, EN hadn't sync'd, and wouldn't. Manually syncing just gave me an "EN must be connected to the internet to sync."

only fix was to close and reopen EN.

Archived