A faster switching between two or more accounts.

Christian Ä.

Idea

Hello!!! I want to first say that I am super happy with "Evernote". Using both Windows and Android versions (phone and tablet).

Lacks only one thing in the android version. I wish to change / toggle between two different accounts without having to log out and log in. Would have liked some kind of "switch" So that you do not need to log in / log out each time. A faster switching between two or more accounts.

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - while Evernote thinks about that,  you could try sharing notebooks between your accounts so that one account in the Android has edit access to a notebook in the other account.  No switching required to create a new note or edit an existing one.

Hi Christian! We don't currently support this. This would require storing at least two accounts-worth of notes on your phone. This might slow your phone down, and it's not the safest in terms of data security.

I'm interested to know why you have multiple accounts. Do you use them in different contexts (home vs. work, for example)? Do you share an account with someone else?

Thanks!

I have separate Evernote accounts for personal and business, and I like the ability to switch between those accounts using the Windows version of Evernote. I echo the suggestion that the same feature should be added to the Android version. Sharing some notebooks is appropriate, but sharing many notebooks defeats the purpose of having separate accounts.

@scruggles I have a personal (premium) account and I use an account to keep records of a nonprofit for which I serve as treasurer. Evernote would be the perfect solution if i had two phones (nope) or if i could switch beteeen them.

I love on my Mac how I can switch between accounts instantly. On iPhone it's pretty horrible.

It does not make sense to mingle these roles in one account: I intend to keep my own account "forever" but Intend to pass the treasurer account to the next treasurer when my time is done.

My phone has plenty of storage. I would willingly click "OK" on an alert to acknowledge that I understand multiple accounts takes more space.

Does that make sense?

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-01 at 3:38 PM, A different Erik said:

It does not make sense to mingle these roles in one account: I intend to keep my own account "forever" but Intend to pass the treasurer account to the next treasurer when my time is done.

Is a shared Notebook too much mingling?

• Level 5*

@A different Erik:

Actually, if the treasurer account isn't too complex (many notebooks), using a shared notebooks should work well. I do this with my personal and work accounts; I just stick the work notebooks into a single local stack, and they're pretty well isolated. When you're no longer treasurer, the new treasure can unshare those notebooks with you.

By the way; you're posting about an iPhone problem in an Android forum. The answers are similar, though, due to the way the mobile stuff works; last I knew, switching accounts removes cached notes for the first account for your device, and then syncs down notes for the new account, according to how its set up (offline notebooks, etc.). All probably due to assumptions about device storage limitations.

On 12/2/2015 at 2:52 PM, scruggles said:

This would require storing at least two accounts-worth of notes on your phone. This might slow your phone down, and it's not the safest in terms of data security.

This doesn't make sense - from a memory perspective, why is storing 10 notebooks worth of notes in 2 accounts appreciably different than storing 10 shared notebooks in 1 account? 

And how does this create an additional security risk? If your app is secure, then two datasets in your app should continue to be secure, yes? 

• Level 5*
On 22/04/2017 at 0:17 AM, jagspecx said:

If you are a fiduciary, attorney, or something similar,

...and are storing your client information in an Evernote account,  you are probably in breach of your data protection duties unless you're using lots of encryption...

- The issue (I think) is that to search in one or the other of two accounts,  you need two separate search indexes and some means to switch between them.  However if one account has a shared-in notebook attached,  there's one index for both accounts,  and no switching mechanism required.

When a mobile device switches between accounts (currently) it uninstalls all the note indexes and stored data relating to account #1,  and downloads the same information for account #2 - which is why it takes a while.  Mobile OS's don't seem set up to allow partitioning for one user to have access to one folder of data and 'another' user (or the same one wearing a different hat) to have access to another.  You can download full notes (which is not the default) if you have enough storage to hold them,  but the same switching problem applies.  And most mobiles don't (yet) have access to much spare storage.

I'd imagine the only way to do this would be to involve storage on (very removable) SD cards - and that's where one security aspect comes in.  Until someone comes up with a way to wipe an SD card if it's removed from the holding device,  someone with access to your phone for a couple of minutes can walk of with your data and then spend as long as it takes brute-forcing access.

Or,  to put it more succinctly: if it were that easy I think they would've done it already.

;)

• Level 5*

That's a good point - I have two Gmail accounts and switching between them is pretty easy;  don't know how they manage searching and editing though - I guess it's all server-side stuff,  whereas Evernote is local processing.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jagspecx said:

To put it equally succinctly, why is it that so many other applications have figured this problem out but Evernote seems to struggle with it?

I'm not aware that Evernote is struggling with it.

My impression is they don't consider this feature to be a priority on mobile devices.

One indicator for priority is the vote count which is currently at 1 (upper left corner of the discussion)

Archived