Evernote for Android v7.5 BETA

scruggles

Idea

Hi everyone! We just released a new beta for Evernote for Android v7.5. You can get the beta by following the instructions here.

This beta includes two exciting updates: a brand new note editor, and an updated camera with auto-capture.

*Note Editor*

If you read our blog, you know we’ve been working on a brand new note editor. If you use Evernote on Mac or Windows recently, you’ve already seen what it can do. We’re excited to announce that we’re bringing this improved writing experience to Android.

What’s new:

- Tap to edit

- More conistent looking content

- Better tables, lists, checkboxes, etc.

Known issues & workarounds:

- No ink support yet.

- New editor only available for KitKat and above, and phone (not active for tablets).

- If you run into issues when deleting checkboxes, reopen the note and try to delete again.

- Playing an audio file may scroll the note to the top. To avoid this, tap on the text above or below the audio file, then tap to play.

- Long tapping images to Delete or Annotate is not available. Use "cut" to delete, switch back to the previous editor to annotate. 

We’re looking for bugs, usability issues, and any other feedback you can throw our way. There’s a lot of work left to do on the editor, but we wanted to get the improvements to you as soon as possible :)

*Camera updates*

We’ve introduced auto-capture, which automatically recognizes and captures documents, post-its, and business cards.  We’ve also fixed the issue where Samsung Note5 photos are low quality.

So get the beta, give these features a try, and let us know what you think! Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

Best,

Karen

39 replies to this idea

Thanks Rfpc 

For example, i might have a link with that says 'please refer to page 100'. The underlying hyperlink appears to get activated when I click on either of those letters, but not the spaces in between the words, if that makes sense. Then it will ask me to edit, bringing up the keyboard. Anyhow, this is my quick observation, I may be wrong about the cause.

Thanks for the idea and the info. We'll look at that and some variations on the type of link. 

To us, it happens rarely. We are still trying to locate the problem. It's a sneaky one. 

That said it does come up with the warning about "Saving note in .....", but this has been addressed by Xavier.

We know the source of the problem for this one. 

Still need to fix though. We will be working on it. 

I think that the main risk lies in the fact that the keyboard automatically pops up when it asks you to edit. tbh this is quite annoying behaviour since it happens 50% of the time when clicking on a link.

True. Please let us know if the keyboard unintentionally pops-up for other reasons. 

We should be able to read the note comfortably. 

not entirely related, but if the beta editor is on and I go into a note, I cannot swipe the left menu to access the main menu (i.e. notebooks, tags, etc.). This wasn't a problem before... Anyone seeing this?

Thanks, 

That's a known issue of our team. 

We change the structure of the app and it impacted the navigation. 

We'll fix that before it ships. 

Hi folks, 

For those who are concerned about editing a note by mistake, could you possibly share more details about the use cases? 

When did this happened to you, what did you do, what was the note, the notebook, the content ....

This would help determine how big of an issue this is. 

It would also help coming up with the best solution. 

Thanks, 

Xavier 

I don't understand why this is even an issue. Every other version of Evernote uses "tap to edit". Why would Evernote for Android be different? I thought part of the big editor re-write was so the editor would work the same everywhere? As long as there is an "undo" function, I don't see the problem.

Hi folks, 

For those who are concerned about editing a note by mistake, could you possibly share more details about the use cases? 

When did this happened to you, what did you do, what was the note, the notebook, the content ....

Thanks, 

Xavier 

I don't understand why this is even an issue. Every other version of Evernote uses "tap to edit". Why would Evernote for Android be different? I thought part of the big editor re-write was so the editor would work the same everywhere? As long as there is an "undo" function, I don't see the problem.

Hi folks, 

Thanks, 

Xavier 

I don't understand why this is even an issue. Every other version of Evernote uses "tap to edit". Why would Evernote for Android be different? I thought part of the big editor re-write was so the editor would work the same everywhere? As long as there is an "undo" function, I don't see the problem

Hmm, it is not because the other Evernote versions don't implement the edit-button that we have to remove it from the Android version as well. Actually, if we really want consistency between the several evernote implementations, then I would opt for the edit-button everywhere.

That being said, I must admit that removing the edit-button in the Android version is less dangerous (pop-up keyboard will at least alarm me)  than the missing edit-button in the Windows version. We do need more protection in de win evernote because a single unintended keystroke can destroy a note. And even worse, you will never look back in the history because you don't realize that you lost content!

My concern is, if we remove the edit-button from the Android version, then for consistency reasons evernote will never implement an edit-button in the windows version where it is really really needed.

Eric

At least in the windows version, nobody can know whether they already destroyed important content or not. You will only discover it when you need the info !

It can happen while scrolling / clicking in a note and accidently touching a key without noticing; any change will immediately be synced in evernote!

The risk is even higher when working and switching between different windows. Confusing the focus is sufficient to enter text in the wrong window unnoticed.

Or you leave your PC unattended for one second and your child hits the keyboard... There are a lot of scenario's where this can happen.

It is just unbelievable that Evernote  has no protection against this kind of disaster. I have never seen a database that can be destroyed so easly while just reading the data. 

In my case, evernote isn't a toy,  evernote is our second brain as intended by the Evernote founders; it contains everything from little facts to very important info such as patient records, school stuff, all kind of documents, anything... We just can't afford loosing it.

Eric

Thanks all, those are points worth discussing about. 

I take note that some are worried it would be too easy to mistakenly edit a note with "tap to edit". 

The edit button was a way to avoid this. 

Suggested options are: 

- add back an edit button 

- add an option to activate or not tap to edit 

We'll look at that. 

About the links 

Enabling the beta editor now doesn't allow me to click hyperlinks in Android and makes my notes very prone to accidental mistakes. This is just unacceptable really.

I'll need your help on this one. 

Here are the steps I tried: 

create a new note, paste a URL, tap on the link

> the web page opens 

save this note, open again, tap on the link 

> the web page opens too 

Could you maybe describe your problem the same way so I understand it? 

I create the note on my computer (previously a PC, now a Mac, but the result is the same). These are internal links to other notes by the way, not URLs. So I hold shift while adding an internal link to piece of text. Then I upload the note.

In android, I switch on the beta editor and go into that note. Then clicking on the green link will most of the time result in asking me to edit rather than taking me to the note. However, there are occasions where it does take me to the note. I.e. it really is hit and miss with this.

That said, even when it does work, it brings me to the next note, but then automatically saves my previous note. I can tell that from the message that pops up at the bottom. That is not ideal, as I think it means that it will reupload the note (which didnt need editing in the first place, I do this on my Mac) after being saved and just takes up time and upload data. Also, if an accidental mistake is made, it is automatically saved and I wouldnt know about it....

Hard to describe, but this is the behaviour. As I have numerous links to other notes, it becomes a real issue.

Btw although not happy about the changes, I do appreciate Evernote assistance and willingness to work on this. Hopefully a good solution can be found.

Thanks for the details, but even when I follow these steps, I'm still not able to reproduce your issue. Can you please give more info about (device , OS version, Build number in Settings > support, logs if possible). Thanks in advance for your help. 

Nexus 6P, Android 6.0, version 7.5 beta 2 (1075020).

I have no problems with audio. That seems to play just fine. It is just internal links to other notes. I.e. I think if I click on a 'space' within a link it will bring up the keyboard and ask me to edit. If I click on a 'letter' in the internal link it will redirect me to the linked note (i.e. the intended behaviour).

For example, i might have a link with that says 'please refer to page 100'. The underlying hyperlink appears to get activated when I click on either of those letters, but not the spaces in between the words, if that makes sense. Then it will ask me to edit, bringing up the keyboard. Anyhow, this is my quick observation, I may be wrong about the cause.

That said it does come up with the warning about "Saving note in .....", but this has been addressed by Xavier.

I think that the main risk lies in the fact that the keyboard automatically pops up when it asks you to edit. tbh this is quite annoying behaviour since it happens 50% of the time when clicking on a link.

Thanks.

Edit: not entirely related, but if the beta editor is on and I go into a note, I cannot swipe the left menu to access the main menu (i.e. notebooks, tags, etc.). This wasn't a problem before... Anyone seeing this?

Hi folks, 

Thanks, 

Xavier 

Show synced notebook in Android widget

Please enable selecting shared notebook to display within the widget on Android. Right now, when I setup the widget and select "Notebook" for the type of the widget, the shared notebooks are not listed at all. It only lists my own notebooks but not ones shared with me.

I checked it doesn't have anything to do with the fact the account is premium or free. It's same with premium accounts - even if the notebook is locally synced, it still doesn't show up in the widget.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Show synced notebook in Android widget

Please enable selecting shared notebook to display within the widget on Android. Right now, when I setup the widget and select "Notebook" for the type of the widget, the shared notebooks are not listed at all. It only lists my own notebooks but not ones shared with me.

I checked it doesn't have anything to do with the fact the account is premium or free. It's same with premium accounts - even if the notebook is locally synced, it still doesn't show up in the widget.

Thanks.

On my current copy of the Evernote Android Beta I have a shared-in notebook which appears just fine under its own heading in the sidebar...

Evernote is the best notes taking app. I use to swear by it, made my phone (note 4) a notebook for every meeting and conference. Till I updated it.

Now the Text Note no longer support the stylus input. Earlier I was able to hand write, and it was converted to text. That feature is no longer available.

It was one of the most useful features as it let me take notes which in a lecture or meeting. Typing on a small keyboard is not that fast

Can you please bring back that feature, the handwriting notes don't give you the same resolution as text note as the later use to convert it into the typed font.

Please help if I am missing out on some option to turn on the stylus input for text note.

Regards,

Abhijit Kardekar

On 12/5/2015 at 5:30 AM, eric99 said:

Hmm, it is not because the other Evernote versions don't implement the edit-button that we have to remove it from the Android version as well. Actually, if we really want consistency between the several evernote implementations, then I would opt for the edit-button everywhere.

That being said, I must admit that removing the edit-button in the Android version is less dangerous (pop-up keyboard will at least alarm me)  than the missing edit-button in the Windows version. We do need more protection in de win evernote because a single unintended keystroke can destroy a note. And even worse, you will never look back in the history because you don't realize that you lost content!

My concern is, if we remove the edit-button from the Android version, then for consistency reasons evernote will never implement an edit-button in the windows version where it is really really needed.

Eric

Worse than that, Eric, in the windows version, I once deleted an entire notebook because it was highlighted, but my cursor was flashing within the note. Thinking I was backspacing to delete a word, I deleted every single note in my novel!

Fortunately, I was able to drag thirty-eight individual notes out of the trash and rebuild the notebook, but the profanity I used scared small children many time zones away. 

What bugs me about this is that Evernote's breathless announcements indicate that they are still not listening to the users!

What we have asked for: 

1. Working note editing!

That's kind of it. It's a note taking app after all. 

What we got: 

1. Chat. 

2. Redesigned widgets.

3. A new editing workflow.

4. Did we tell you there's a chat?

5. A web clipper.

6. A new logo.

7. Who needs to cut/paste? There's chat!

Come on, devs! No one asked you to change a single thing about the editing workflow on the Android device. It's fine the way it is. Stop making changes and start fixing bugs! 

I have such a hard time participating in these forums because I just want to shake you all like a baby. This is a text editing platform that currently can't cut and paste text! This is a cross-platform editor that can't linewrap correctly!

Devs, I'm trying to be nice here, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of all these new features. You have actual basic functionality that doesn't work properly. It took you five years to fix the space stripping bug while you were working on a damfool CHAT SERVICE! Stop rolling out new features. Fix what is already broken!

Once again fixing things you don't need to fix (edit button for example). Where's the useful stuff like different colored text and different colored highlighters? I'm trying to publish a book with a coauthor  and we can't differentiate our notes unless on a computer which is detrimental if either of us are on the road! 

Or you know, some kind of system that let's you know a shared note was seen or edited?

Come on, get things together.

On 11/26/2015 at 1:30 PM, eric99 said:

This is a real disappointment: many users are asking for years for some kind of edit button in the windows version, and you will remove it from the android version ?

Who is asking for that? Without the "pen" button it is far to easy to destroy my note, without knowing it. Evernote is my second brain, I can't afford accidently loosing any info by just looking in my notes...

There are many threads on this forum asking for some kind of edit button.

Maybe you can start a poll to find out what users really think about this radical change?

Thanks, Eric

Agreed with Karen.

If you scroll the note, or even worst, click on a link, I´m afraid the edit mode will pop up together with the keyboard.

This happen everytime in MS Onenote...and this is a mess

The best solution for everyone would be to make this feature user-selectable in settings

On 11/27/2015 at 11:35 AM, Xavier_ said:

I take note that some are worried it would be too easy to mistakenly edit a note with "tap to edit". 

Suggested options are: 

We'll look at that. 

About the links 

> the web page opens 

> the web page opens too 

Is it difficult to add double tap to edit? Instead of one tap to edit? This will avoid notes editing by mistake.

The best solution for everyone would be to left the user select in settings what behaviour is wanted

Regarding tap in links, I use just a sign (example: a plus sign) and insert a internal note link in that sign. It is easy to tap not exactly on the sign the first time, then you will have the edit mode activated by mistake.

Hi Karen,

What do you mean by "tap to edit" ? I hope the ReadOnly mode isn't affected by this. See also https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58454-how-to-make-a-note-read-only/

"Tap to edit" means to there is only 1 mode to view and edit, and instead of tapping the "pen" button, you can tap the section of text you want to modify. 

This should make the editing flow faster. 

We also improved a lot the rendering of the note itself. All styles available on desktop should now be supported. This includes content in tables. 

What was in "read only" should remain "read only". 

Let us know if you notice a difference, that would be a bug. 

We may consider adding some kind of "lock" in the future to avoid editing mistake if this something needed.

This is a real disappointment: many users are asking for years for some kind of edit button in the windows version, and you will remove it from the android version ?

Who is asking for that? Without the "pen" button it is far to easy to destroy my note, without knowing it. Evernote is my second brain, I can't afford accidently loosing any info by just looking in my notes...

Maybe you can start a poll to find out what users really think about this radical change?

Thanks, Eric

Well, I'm one of the people asking for that. The Android version was the only version that required the extra step of hitting an Edit button, so it was inconsistent with all the other versions. I can't think of any other editors on any platform that have separate view and edit modes (yes, I'm sure there must be some). Not to mention that when you switched to edit mode on the "old" Evernote, the cursor ended up at the bottom, and the fonts and spacing between modes didn't quite match up. So for me, removing the edit button is a great improvement.

But Evernote isn't a text editor, it's a database and I don't know any database without any protection against accidental change.

Here is one of the threads where many people complain about the lacking edit button:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64493-request-protect-notes-from-unwated-changes-edit-lock-button/

• Level 5*

Wow.  Just tried autocapture on a Note 4 - works like a charm!  Perfect image despite the fact I took it deliberately off-centre and to one side.  Nice!  The other stuff's good too,  but I like the pics...  ;)

Hi everyone! We just released a new beta for Evernote for Android v7.5. You can get the beta by following the instructions here.

This beta includes two exciting updates: a brand new note editor, and an updated camera with auto-capture.

*Note Editor*

If you read our blog, you know we’ve been working on a brand new note editor. If you use Evernote on Mac or Windows recently, you’ve already seen what it can do. We’re excited to announce that we’re bringing this improved writing experience to Android.

What’s new:

- Tap to edit

- More conistent looking content

- Better tables, lists, checkboxes, etc.

Known issues & workarounds:

- No ink support yet.

- New editor only available for KitKat and above, and phone (not active for tablets).

- If you run into issues when deleting checkboxes, reopen the note and try to delete again.

- Playing an audio file may scroll the note to the top. To avoid this, tap on the text above or below the audio file, then tap to play.

- Long tapping images to Delete or Annotate is not available. Use "cut" to delete, switch back to the previous editor to annotate. 

We’re looking for bugs, usability issues, and any other feedback you can throw our way. There’s a lot of work left to do on the editor, but we wanted to get the improvements to you as soon as possible :)

*Camera updates*

We’ve introduced auto-capture, which automatically recognizes and captures documents, post-its, and business cards.  We’ve also fixed the issue where Samsung Note5 photos are low quality.

So get the beta, give these features a try, and let us know what you think! Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.

Best,

Karen

Hi Karen,

What do you mean by "tap to edit" ? I hope the ReadOnly mode isn't affected by this. See also https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58454-how-to-make-a-note-read-only/

Hi Karen,

"Tap to edit" means to there is only 1 mode to view and edit, and instead of tapping the "pen" button, you can tap the section of text you want to modify. 

We also improved a lot the rendering of the note itself. All styles available on desktop should now be supported. This includes content in tables. 

We may consider adding some kind of "lock" in the future to avoid editing mistake if this something needed. 

Hi Karen,

Thanks, Eric

Hi Karen,

Thanks, Eric

Well, I'm one of the people asking for that. The Android version was the only version that required the extra step of hitting an Edit button, so it was inconsistent with all the other versions. I can't think of any other editors on any platform that have separate view and edit modes (yes, I'm sure there must be some). Not to mention that when you switched to edit mode on the "old" Evernote, the cursor ended up at the bottom, and the fonts and spacing between modes didn't quite match up. So for me, removing the edit button is a great improvement.

The 'tap to edit' option is the perfect tool for me.

For a lot of users this was one or the most needet feature in Evernote Android. I was never afraid of mistakenly mess a note.

Maybe the compromise could be done with:

- turn on/off "tap to edit"

- turn on/off popup like "are you sure you want to save the edit"  (or "Save changes to note?" - "save"/"discard edit")

- long tap to edit (not a good option for me)

- choose between "tap to edit" / "long tap to edit" in settings.

Have to agree with Eric99 on this one... Although I know there are users who want this function, I for one do my editing on the pc. Not my mobile. Enabling the beta editor now doesn't allow me to click hyperlinks in Android and makes my notes very prone to accidental mistakes. This is just unacceptable really.

The solution as I see it is to have a "tap to edit" view for those who want it, and for us who don't want it, an option to have it as it was (i.e. where you have to click on an edit button before you can start editing). Too much to ask...?

• Level 5*

As far as I recall,  the original version of EN Android was as it is now - the note came up showing the full content,  and if you tapped the screen and started to edit,  you were changing the content.  Quite a few people did that inadvertently - scrolling through a note could highlight a block of text,  and your next keypress could replace or delete it,  or indeed the whole note. 

It paid to be cautious when 'viewing' notes,  in case -without intending to- it turned into full-blown editing or deleting.  There were complaints and a bit of an outcry.  I seem to remember Evernote being called unprofessional for allowing changes to be saved without an 'are you sure?' step to avoid mistakes.

So they went ahead and added the Edit button,  as users asked.  Shortly after which the outcry started that changing a note was now too difficult and involved too many clicks.  I guess the user testing they did convinced them that the argument was valid,  because hey - we lost the button again.

There do seem to be two distinct (and vocal) camps of Button or No Button,  and the obvious but not very tidy way to resolve it would be to have the feature as an option.  I don't know how difficult it would be to re-engineer the Settings page to include the option,  and include the code for both the show/ no show operations,  but if this is the first time it's been raised you can bet it won't be coming soon.  There will be ongoing projects to complete,  not to mention planning and scheduling...

I'm actually happy either way - I didn't have a problem when we had no button,  and though I felt safer when it appeared,  I've not had any mishaps (yet) now it's gone again.  I don't have any problem tapping hyperlinks.  I'd suggest we let the guys get on with deciding how to deal with this bit of feedback and revisit the topic in a few months... 

;)

Suggested options are: 

We'll look at that. 

About the links 

Enabling the beta editor now doesn't allow me to click hyperlinks in Android and makes my notes very prone to accidental mistakes. This is just unacceptable really.

> the web page opens 

> the web page opens too 

Suggested options are: 

We'll look at that. 

About the links 

> the web page opens 

> the web page opens too 

I create the note on my computer (previously a PC, now a Mac, but the result is the same). These are internal links to other notes by the way, not URLs. So I hold shift while adding an internal link to piece of text. Then I upload the note.

In android, I switch on the beta editor and go into that note. Then clicking on the green link will most of the time result in asking me to edit rather than taking me to the note. However, there are occasions where it does take me to the note. I.e. it really is hit and miss with this.

That said, even when it does work, it brings me to the next note, but then automatically saves my previous note. I can tell that from the message that pops up at the bottom. That is not ideal, as I think it means that it will reupload the note (which didnt need editing in the first place, I do this on my Mac) after being saved and just takes up time and upload data. Also, if an accidental mistake is made, it is automatically saved and I wouldnt know about it....

Hard to describe, but this is the behaviour. As I have numerous links to other notes, it becomes a real issue.

Btw although not happy about the changes, I do appreciate Evernote assistance and willingness to work on this. Hopefully a good solution can be found.

Btw. not entirely related related to maybe the latest build as much as it is related to Android in general, but I just got myself a new Nexus 6p with 5.7 screen and would love the tablet UI (since the screen is big enough and allows me to do more). Changing the DPI to below 200 / 250 doesn't seem to do the trick like it does with other apps.... any ideas?

Thanks, that's useful. We're looking at that.

We currently autosave the note content any time you leave the note. That's to avoid losing content. 

I believe we display this even though the note hasn't changes. It shouldn't trigger the sync in this case. 

We'll see what we can do to make this clearer.  

Btw. not entirely related related to maybe the latest build as much as it is related to Android in general, but I just got myself a new Nexus 6p with 5.7 screen and would love the tablet UI (since the screen is big enough and allows me to do more). Changing the DPI to below 200 / 250 doesn't seem to do the trick like it does with other apps.... any ideas?

We'll take care of tablet after phone is ready. 

Tablet is a bit more complexe since we need to allow editing in the right panel. 

Archived