Quick problem: Can't create a local notebook.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to create a local notebook and there seems to be very little information about it except how to create one. Which doesn't work in my case. Edit: I'm speaking of the EN on OS X El Capitan 10.11.1, latest version. Incase you didn't recognise from the screenshot..

Here's a screenshot of when I try to create a new local notebook trough the menu -> file -> new notebook -> : http://imgur.com/N1FS53n

So, is this normal, a bug, or because of I am on basic evernote and I need to pay to unlock a local notebook feature?

post-276193-0-71976000-1448353151_thumb.

• Level 5*

It's not a paid option and you are doing the right thing so it looks like something strange is happening with your system. Have you tried restarting the app and your mac? If so and it's still the same then you should probably try a reinstall.

It's not a paid option and you are doing the right thing so it looks like something strange is happening with your system. Have you tried restarting the app and your mac? If so and it's still the same then you should probably try a reinstall.

I've restarted my macbook, Evernote, and reinstalled. Also I tried evernote from Apple store.

• Level 5*

Dunno about a well-composed message,  but a support ticket would seem like a good idea - the guys have Thanksgiving off (apparently) so there might be a bit of a lag - meantime there seems to be a(nother) new Beta version out which might be worth a try...   https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90560-evernote-for-mac-63-beta-1-released/

If you do install that and still have problems,  trying raising the query in that thread too!

• Level 5*

I've restarted my macbook, Evernote, and reinstalled. Also I tried evernote from Apple store.

Sounds like you'd done all the easy fixes.  You may now want to try a clean reinstall.  This often fixes issues with missing/corrupt files.

I would stick with the Direct D/L version.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

• 1 year later...

Hi all. FYI, the latest instruction as of September 2017 is that if you want to create a Local Notebook in Evernote Desktop for Mac, you need to hold down the alt/option key while clicking on the "File" menu in the menu bar. Only then will the option to create "New Local Notebook" appear (directly underneath "New Notebook").

Source: 

• 2 weeks later...

Good catch @Palash Davé! The official help site says its in the usual place but its not: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

As a result I've been unable to make local notebooks for about a week. EN has been slowly "disappearing" this feature, and I'm sure the end goal is for them be cloud-only in the near future. It's a shame, because I don't want mine or my company's data to be stored in the cloud, and I'll have to move away from EN if that happens. 

same here - if they kill local notebooks I am gone...it's weird, I would have thought they finally got the message about data privacy when they announced they would read selective notes and then retracted after the outroar....would be a sad day and I am pretty sure we are not alone with that thought....

also weird there is still no option to encrpyt entire notebooks...it's almost as if evernote was planning to monetize us and our data as google monetizes search and email data....

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-30 at 4:21 PM, gabemastey said:

As a result I've been unable to make local notebooks for about a week. EN has been slowly "disappearing" this feature, and I'm sure the end goal is for them be cloud-only in the near future.

I’m having no problem creating local notebooks.  More details below on the menu change

And despite @toao‘s claims, I’m not reading anything into the menu change other than trying to protect users

Make sure you backup your local notebooks; the data is not sync’d/backed up by Evernote

Archived