How to disconnect the Evernote app from the web services?

How can I completely disconnect the Evernote app from the Evernote web service?

Over the last 18 months or so, I've used Evernote quite sparingly, a recipe here and there, a few notes, that sort of thing. This month, I found a bunch of images that I wanted to save and ran into an upload limit. I'm quite frustrated that a number of images that I had simply pasted in, and whose URL I don't remember, were not saved, locally. If I have to save data to a folder because Evernote won't accept them, then there's no reason to use Evernote.

I don't want to sync, or chat, or collaborate, or save web pages, or recieve emails or anything else. I'd just like to use the app in its simplest form to store and retrieve my data, and not be subject to upload limits and lose data.

Directions would be well appreciated, thank you.

• Level 5*

Tsk tsk - I think you mean Local Notebooks..  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

Due respect to the OP - if you do decide to use Evernote totally offline,  you're missing out on the main features of the app - access to all your notes on any device,  and an automatic backup of the local content to their servers (once synced).  If you do encounter upload limits it's possible to upgrade to a higher tier - even temporarily - to get around them.  If you decide to go totally offline,  then it may be easier just to use another application.

Tsk tsk - I think you mean Local Notebooks..  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

Due respect to the OP - if you do decide to use Evernote totally offline,  you're missing out on the main features of the app - access to all your notes on any device,  and an automatic backup of the local content to their servers (once synced).  If you do encounter upload limits it's possible to upgrade to a higher tier - even temporarily - to get around them.  If you decide to go totally offline,  then it may be easier just to use another application.

Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. Before I do the work, a question: if I simply drag all of my pre-existing notebooks into this, will they become local or do I need to rebuild all of my notes?

Please forgive this minor, frustrated and soap-boxing rant, that perhaps the developers might chance upon. Backups and synching are not central functions. Data storage, finding and and retrival are. Evernote's purpose is to accept, make findable and retrievable notes and data in a manner that is more convenient than rummaging though text files and folders.

Developers who live in high-tech areas such as Silicone Valley or large city centers make assumptions about their users. I live in a rural area, I don't need a cell-phone, I don't own iPads, or any other such mobile devices. I can see the value of backups, but I can't use them if I'm blocked from inputting to begin with. I could upgrade to what must seem to many to be a paltry amount for most, 5 US dollars per month. I would be paying $60 US a year for mainly nothing, seeing as I normally save no more than a few kilobytes of data per month, often skipping many months, and the one time that I unknowingly put it to the test, I lost data and am blocked from inputting.

Internet connectivity should always be a useful addition to a productivity program, not a central requirement. How would we respond if, say, Microsoft Word or Excel limited the number of characters that we could type in a document based on the status of an online account, under the assumption that we will synch our documents?

When on a Mac, I used Yojimbo, and it worked well for me and I liked it. I use Evernote because it was both free and the closest equivalent on Windows that I was aware of. Maybe I'm just not the user that they're aiming for. Is anyone aware of good competing (and preferably free) alternatives to Evernote on Windows?

And thank you for your patience in listening to me complain. :)

• Level 5*

Just create a local notebook or notebooks and then move the notes to the local notebook(s) through highlighting and dragging or right clicking to get the Move to Notebook option.  No need to rebuild your notes, just move them. 

I would consider using the Export to ENEX function to create your own backups of your notes.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  What he said with respect to setting up the notebooks - just drop your notes in the offline notebook and they'll be deleted from the online version and exist only on your local hard drive.  As to whether this is a core feature or not,  my understanding of Evernote's USP's included clip from anywhere,  searchable and available from anywhere.  Being upset that internet connectivity is part of the bundle is like complaining your car has wheels...

If you're looking for notetaking apps,  start here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_notetaking_software

- you also might like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

But most of the options will include an online element...

Hmmn.  What he said with respect to setting up the notebooks - just drop your notes in the offline notebook and they'll be deleted from the online version and exist only on your local hard drive.  As to whether this is a core feature or not,  my understanding of Evernote's USP's included clip from anywhere,  searchable and available from anywhere.  Being upset that internet connectivity is part of the bundle is like complaining your car has wheels...

If you're looking for notetaking apps,  start here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_notetaking_software

- you also might like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

But most of the options will include an online element...

> just drop your notes in the offline notebook and they'll be deleted from the online version and exist only on your local hard drive.

Problem solved. Thank you.

> Being upset that internet connectivity is part of the bundle is like complaining your car has wheels...

That's not a fair representation of my complaint which was "Internet connectivity should always be a useful addition to a productivity program, not a central requirement." This incidentally, also causes me to reject online-only services. The bush doesn't have wifi trees. :)

> But most of the options will include an online element...

Which is fine, so long as usage does not depend on it.

Thank you for your time.

Archived