Evernote Windows desktop out of sync with Evernote web

Today I opened a note on the Windows desktop version of Evernote.  The body of the note was visible for a moment, then disappeared, leaving the note empty (note title OK, but an empty note body).  I checked for the same note on Evernote web.  The note was completely intact.

Since I needed to work on that note, I worked in Evernote Web (I normally use Evernote desktop).

But a little later, I needed to refer to another note.  But the note was missing from Evernote web (it's not even listed in the left-hand column of all notes).  So I checked for the note in Evernote for Windows, and found it.  I double checked; yes, the note exists on the desktop but not the web.

In other words, Evernote web and Evernote on the desktop are getting out of sync, and the problem may be getting worse.  

Why is this happening?  How do I fix this?  I need to fix it quickly.  I depend on Evernote for EVERYTHING.

(Evernote Premium subscriber)

I think it is time to bail out of Evernote.  I have been a user for years.  As a researcher, I spend hours a day referring to my notes and writing new ones.  Sadly, the Evernote team has neglected the core functionality (note taking) in favor of flashy new features that grab headlines but aren't useful to serious note-takers like me.   Meanwhile bugs don't get fixed.  The editor goes from bad to worse.  And now, serious problems with possible loss of notes and out-of-sync database.  Sadly, as it says in the haiku, no one can hear your screams.

• Level 5*

Hi.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313378 for help with sync issues. 

Whether or not you continue with Evernote is,  of course,  entirely your own decision.  I'm sorry you're having issues,  but just for the record;  the new Evernote CEO has stated his intent to concentrate on core values,  though it may take time for the tangible results of that to filter through;  bugs do get fixed in every new update - although there are some long-standing ones that seem to persist against all reason;  the Editor has just been re-written to allow further development of long-requested features like style;  and finally your out-of-sync database is an everyday problem with published fixes,  and may not be an Evernote issue at all...just sayin.

• Level 5*

Fully agree that there are still issues remaining, and some that pop up mysteriously. Just this morning I had some notes that suddenly appeared on my desktop version, but without being assigned to notebooks. I sorted all notes by title and found that the "extra" notes were duplicates of notes that were assigned to a notebook. I was not able to delete them directly, but when I clicked on a note I was able to "move" it to a notebook. From the now assigned notebook I was able to delete all those weird notes. Currently optimizing the database to see if I can prevent that happening again - at least for a while. Since I don't know the cause, or when it actually happened, it is next to impossible to replicate.

I have considered moving to OneNote, but Evernote is way ahead of OneNote in terms of ability to find things, handle large volumes of notes (15,000 for now), and it is an interface that I am familiar with. Quirks, yes, but quirks I have decided to live with if I can't find a work-around. I have used EN for several years now, and old habits die hard!!!

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK duplicate notes are 'conflicting changes' messages,  and up till now I would have said that notes cannot exist outside a notebook - that's a fundamental part of Evernote's architecture.  Could these notes have appeared in a 'conflicting changes' notebook?  Regardless - if you are still having issues I'd strongly advise raising a support ticket - follow the Help Center in my signature below and scroll to the bottom of the Troubleshooting page for the Contact Support button.

• Level 5*

I agree that notes should not be able to exist outside a notebook. When I clicked on the individual notes, they said "Shared notebook" and allowed me to move them to my Evernote notebook, thence to the trash. Doesn't make sense, and I don't know what I would put in the support ticket. One of the Evernote mysteries, unless others report the same thing. Even then it may still be a mystery! 

• Level 5*

If you send a copy of your Activity Log they'll be able to tell what notes you've just moved and maybe where they came from - please note that the activity log comes with a health warning;  check the content to make sure there's no note titles in there you wouldn't want to share with others...

It's always worth reporting something you don't understand - the support techs have better access to the system than we do (our permissions = 0) and may be able to relate any issues you experience to their own activities!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is time to bail out of Evernote.  I have been a user for years.  As a researcher, I spend hours a day referring to my notes and writing new ones.  Sadly, the Evernote team has neglected the core functionality (note taking) in favor of flashy new features that grab headlines but aren't useful to serious note-takers like me.   Meanwhile bugs don't get fixed.  The editor goes from bad to worse.  And now, serious problems with possible loss of notes and out-of-sync database.  Sadly, as it says in the haiku, no one can hear your screams.

I'm with you, pwarbeck. Of all things, users need reliability. We need an app that keeps "it simple and stupid." The "smarts" of the app is in OUR content, not app bells and whistles. I don't know how long I can go on copying content to a word processor and back to EN, just to avoid EN "corruption" events. Then again, the last time I made a similar complaint, like you, I was told to take a walk, by "support." I think I'll link to this thread, so when I see similar inquiries, I'll be able to refer those concerned to it. http://tinyurl.com/Evernote-Broken

• Level 5*

Just for the record my post wasn't meant as 'passive aggressive',  'irresponsive' or an 'irrelevant quip' - I've stated quite plainly here that I use other software,  including OneNote,  where that is the right tool for a specific job,  and that it's wrong to assume that because Evernote is supposed to do lots of things,  it will be able to do everything. 

'Whatever works for you' has been a comment I've made quite frequently in one form or another as support for the use of other software,  or agreement that other software is preferable in some cases.  It also comes out as "If you find another service is better,  then by all means use that service" in other posts,  as here.  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90500-work-chat-limitations-or-me/?p=388314

In this case,  since you had,  apparently,  moved from Evernote and were currently very happy elsewhere,  it didn't seem as though any other comment was required other than an acknowledgement that you had probably done the right thing,  which is how I intended it.  Where there's an issue with which I feel I can help,  I'll certainly provide it .

If you were anticipating a different response from Evernote,  I'd suggest you use the support request process via the help center to talk directly to them.  This is a public user forum,  not a direct line to Evernote and you wrongly jumped on my comment as evidence of an attitude that Evernote doesn't - in my experience - have. 

Archived