rich text paste restrictions

I've noticed when I paste rich text into Evernote, it strips some, but not all, of the formatting.  Is there a list somewhere of the formatting that's ok to have?  I really wanted to paste in some text which contained file links (file:///path/to/file) in it, but that didn't work.  So, I'm curious how restricted the paste is.

• Level 5*

I've noticed when I paste rich text into Evernote, it strips some, but not all, of the formatting. 

Running EN Mac 6.2 on Yosemite (10.10.5), I have found that most of the time a paste of rich text works well, with the exception of tables.

Most of my pastes are from Chrome web pages and MS Word 2011.

The only paste of file links that I usually do is from one Note to another, and that seems to work OK.

I just tried a paste of a file link from Quiver to Evernote, and, you're right, that did not work.  It pasted only the display text, not the URL.

However, when I pasted that same file link into MS Word, it worked fine.

So, this looks like an EN Mac bug to me.

You might try pasting you links into other apps to see if they work.

We need more info to provide better help.

Can you please tell us:

1. What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?
  2. What is the source app of your pastes?
  3. What specific formatting have you noticed that it does not paste?

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

It didn't occur to me that this might be a bug  ;) .  I just thought this was a restriction of Evernote's editor.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5 as well.  I'm using version EN 6.2.  

File links copy and paste fine between notes within Evernote.  

I can copy rich text with a file link from other apps and paste into some other app just fine (So far, I've tested TextEdit, Word, and Airmail).  I've also tried copying rich text with file links to the clipboard from the Terminal using textutil and pbcopy - pasting this works fine in those other apps.  I can even copy rich text with a file link from Evernote and paste it into those other apps, and the links work. 

But the reverse does not.  For kicks, I tried replacing the "file://" protocol prefix with "http://", and then the  hyperlinked text pasted fine into Evernote (though, obviously it did not go anywhere - but it did try!).  If you export the note as html, you can definitely see that EN is stripping the "<a ...></a>" tags when the link points to a file, but not when it points to an http link. 

I mostly use TextEdit to format rich text that I paste into other apps, including EN.  I've noticed that Evernote doesn't always preserve the indenting for ordered lists when I copy them over either (though this doesn't always work in Word, either, and is less of a concern from me than the stripped links).   

Should I report this as a bug?  Is it one?  

• Level 5*

I've noticed that Evernote doesn't always preserve the indenting for ordered lists when I copy them over either (though this doesn't always work in Word, either, and is less of a concern from me than the stripped links).   

Should I report this as a bug?  Is it one?  

Please do report it as a bug.  EN Mac does not handle indents in general very well.  It has been previously reported many versions ago, but still remains unfixed.

The more users who report it, the more likely it will get fixed.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just upgraded my mac (2016 OS 10.12.5) and I've found that when copying markdown text from dillinger into evernote I get only plain text pasted.  A google of the problem shows results mostly for the reverse case, pasting plain text from a rich text source.

Dillinger is a markdown editor I use to add text boxes around bash code so that it stands out from other text in my notes:

http://dillinger.io/

The Markdown does copy into word so I wonder if it is some sort of functionality that has been lost from evernote running on the new mac?

Best,

Mark

Archived