Option to disable automatic numbered list creation when pressing spacebar in Evernote 5.9.5

Among other things, I use Evernote to keep track of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Audible audiobooks that I am listening to. I created a Sci-Fi and Fantasy stack to do this.  The relevant  part is at https://www.evernote.com/pub/keisoko/series.

As you can see from it, I use un-formatted numbered list that I created myself, not a formatted numbers list you get when pressing a button  on a toolbar, to keep track of books in a various series. For visual reasons, I have a space between a period after a number and title of a book. For the same reason, I use bold font for a title and italic font for description.

When I upgraded to Evernote 5.9.5.9380 (277380) Public I discovered that when I press spacebar to create a space I mentioned before, it defaults to a formatted numbered list which I do not want. While I do use a numbered list, it's a list that I created myself, not a list that is forced on me by Evernote. The list I use offers me a freedom to format notes the way I want and not be limited to traditional numbered list that is offered by Evernote. For example, the note for Iron Druid Chronicles originally started with number one (Hounded) but then I added two new books: Grimoire of the Lamb: An Iron Druid Chronicles Novella and Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles. As you will see from the descriptions take place before and after book one. If I had to use common numbered list I won't be able to format a note exactly as I want.

That is why I would like to see an option to disable automatic numbered list creation when pressing spacebar.  I do not mind pressing a button on a formatting toolbar in order to create either numbered or bulleted lists when I need to.

Thank you very much for listening.

Dima.

• Level 5*

The "problem" only occurs when you start a sentence with a number followed by a dot on the far left of the note. My guess is that the statistics say that a majority are about to start a list at that point, and therefore the process is automated.

If you really hate the indent, the workaround is simply to start by first pressing the spacebar, go back one step and enter the number and the dot, and step forward one step without using spacebar.

Yes, it is a problem. Even Microsoft understands that sometimes a numbered list is not a numered list. I just tried the same steps in Word and while it does start creating automatic numbered list when I press spacebar there, the box comes up with the option to stop creating automatic numbered lists. While I understand that Evernote is not a Word, it is still has a dedicated buttons for creating numbered and bulleted lists. Why? If process is automated what is a point for having those buttons. I think it is a because Evernote knows that automating process is wrong. What time are you trying to save? How much time does it really take to press a button on a toolbar? All I ask is a box I can check to stop this behaivor.    

• Level 5*

Yes, it is a problem. Even Microsoft understands that sometimes a numbered list is not a numered list. I just tried the same steps in Word and while it does start creating automatic numbered list when I press spacebar there, the box comes up with the option to stop creating automatic numbered lists. While I understand that Evernote is not a Word, it is still has a dedicated buttons for creating numbered and bulleted lists. Why? If process is automated what is a point for having those buttons. I think it is a because Evernote knows that automating process is wrong. What time are you trying to save? How much time does it really take to press a button on a toolbar? All I ask is a box I can check to stop this behaivor.    

It's about making the software the most convenient for the majority of the users. Sure, there should be an option which allows you to return to the none-list formatting, and hopefully it will in the near future as this is a brand new feature. But like you said, what time are we trying to save? It takes 2 additional seconds to do the 2 steps I mentioned, which gives you the result you want.

I myself like that Word and Evernote has implimented the automated list functionality, but I'm sure that there are other people that take your side as well.

Possibly, you can press Ctrl+Z right after autoformat.

I support keisoko here, damn-i-want-to-kill-you annoying feature, and even Word, which targetted not only you and me but our grandparents too has a possibility to disable this.

I also want to support keisoko. I found this thread because I was moved this morning to search for a solution to the "new feature" that is actually a "real problem". It's a bug, not a feature, and I don't want to have to take extra steps to stop Evernote from dictating to me how I set up a numbered list in a note. Please fix.

• Level 5

I don't have a need for a numbered list in Evernote.

But I found an easy work around. 

Type an extra period after each number.

1.. List item one

2.. List item two

3.. List item three

This is indeed incredibly annoying if you, for example, take notes from a book where you start the line with the page number, but not always (if for example there are more than one thing you want to note from that given page) and not all numbers are needed (because you do not want to add annotation to that page). And I do not accept as a work around that I should learn using completely different something whichhas worked just perfectly fine.

• Level 5

And I do not accept as a work around that I should learn using completely different something whichhas worked just perfectly fine.

I offered my workaround for people looking for an IMMEDIATE solution to the problem.

No one said YOU have to accept it. You can wait until the fix is released.

Here is another workaround for taking notes from a book.

Page 234 - this works correctly - no indentation
Page 437 - so does this - page number is not increased by 1
Page 479 - not a bit problem here

Why don't you share YOUR SOLUTION with us, instead of just complaining about my suggestion?

Oh, you don't have one? Nevermind.

Jeesh!

• 3 weeks later...

Friendly bump! ;)

I've found another auto-format "super feature". When I'm pasting text that has '::' from Visual Studio using Ctrl+Shift+V, it adds spaces, thinking this is punctuation. So IGXLiveLink::v1::Proxy::UpdateSession becomes IGXLiveLink :: v1 :: Proxy :: UpdateSession. You don't need to be a programmer to understand my suffering.

So could you please add "Disable all auto-formatting" switch?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, simps said:

When I'm pasting text that has '::' from Visual Studio

Although I'm a big user and fan of Evernote, I have given up on using it to keep my code snippets.

I know this is an EN Win thread, and I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions for Windows users.

But for any Mac users reading this, you may want to checkout Quiver, the "programmer's notebook", for storing your code snippets, and more.  I've been using it for several months now, and it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a big issue for me, too. I submit a lot of text to wikis and platforms like GitHub, Redmine etc. that use wiki-like formatting (e.g. Markdown and Textile), and I prefer to write longer texts in Evernote first, and then copy+paste when finished.

I need to have list items starting with "* ", lines with dashes like "----" etc. remain unchanged! It won't work otherwise. Having to press CTRL-Z every few seconds is extremely annoying! Please make the option to disable this available in the next version. I don't even need GUI, I would even change a registry key ;) 

The fact that Evernote was plain-text friendly (e.g. with shortcuts for inserting text without formatting and without getting in your way too much while still offering convenience like auto-save, auto-sync etc.), was the main reason for me to adopt Evernote in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Please give us the ability to turn off automatic formatting - this is not helpful. Sometimes software tries to help too much and this is another instance. If there is a simple work around, that could work until this is fixed. There are quite a number of reason for me why this doesn't work. Thank you!  

I'm Korean and my date format delimiter is dot. example: 2016. 1. 27. I believe many Koreans do the same.

Whenever I input date, this auto formatting feature changes my date into numbered list which I don't want.

This feature is annoying me because this prevent me from concentrating my writing. This is anti-productivity feature for me.

Generally speaking, auto-xxxx feature is good as the purpose is to reduce user's man-power effort. I agree with that purpose.

But auto-xxx feature cannot have perfect logic and can not be fit every situation. Auto-xxxx's malfunction is very annoying users.

With this consideration, please provide an option to turn on&off of auto-xxxx feature when new auto-xxxx feature is introduced.

Recently I found this option is added in Mac version. I hope to see same option added to windows version too soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I see no "Preferences" on the Evernote Desktop Windows menu, nor under the Tools choice on the menu, nor anywhere on the online Evernote. I don't see any any "Formatting" choice on any menu. Are you sure you're talking about Evernote?

On 2/6/2016 at 0:30 PM, riverstorm said:

To turn off autocreate numbered lists: Evernote Preferences > Formatting > UNcheck "Keyboard shortcuts automatically create lists, lines, and emojis"

• 3 weeks later...

Ridiculous stupid 'new feature'... new pain-in-the-ass.  Yet we are still waiting for format painter, now I can hardly walk and my beard is long, then I heard about an exciting new feature but alas, it fell far short of the mark.  Evernote has, once again, the last laugh.

• 1 month later...

riverstorm: thank you, saved my day. In Windows: menu Tools/Options, tab Note, uncheck "Automatically detect lists and lines"

My problem: I have a note where I jot down something, typically one line every working day. The note spans a whole year like this:

January

With auto-numbered-lists, it is:

1. very uncomfortable to skip weekends (practically, I get a new numbered list every week)

2. today (after an Evernote update) all my weeks looked like 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. (all lists(=weeks for me) were reformatted to begin with 1.)

Now I unchecked the auto list feature, and will rewrite this year's note from January till April. rrrggggghhhhhhh....

Edit: In release 6.0.6.1769 this setting is gone. No way to prevent Evernote to treat all numbers as list markers???

Evernote Corporation, ... 

Taking notes often means simple formatting. Or no formatting at all. It's just NOTES.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2016 at 4:46 PM, pp. said:

Edit: In release 6.0.6.1769 this setting is gone. No way to prevent Evernote to treat all numbers as list markers???

Evernote Corporation, ... 

Taking notes often means simple formatting. Or no formatting at all. It's just NOTES.

Any idea of which version to revert to, to get this setting back again?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, electricman said:

Anyone know if this change is included in the latest public update, 6.1.2 Public?  (In the windows version of course)

Yes, it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I wanted to add my request to making auto-numbering easily disabled. It is really annoying when you are trying to do informal lists that do not follow prescribed formatting. Thanks to prior responses I have now disabled via preferences, but I think there should be a way to do it on a note-by-note basis.

Archived