Evernote lag is killing my productivity

PLEASE FIX THIS! I've looked on the forums and see that I am not the only one having this problem. Not only that but this is a probablem that has been going on for MONTHS.

Please. Fix. Your. Sh**.

Any way, the probably is as I said, Evernote LAGS so badly! When I open a note it will work just fine for less than a minute, then every character I type becomes an ordeal. I type maybe a few letters and Evernote freezes momentarily before finally taking the letters and actually putting them into the document. Rinse and repeat. Do you have ANY idea how annoying it is to have to stop and wait for Evernote to catch up with me every couple of letters?

So Evernote, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM! PLEASE!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I run two laptops both with Evernote on Windows and both quite usable.  I'm sorry your experience seems very different - as do,  as you point out,  a number of others;  but Evernote can't wave a magic wand to fix what they don't understand.  If you;re having a problem,  please raise a support ticket,  send your Activity log and go through any reinstalls and checks that they ask you to complete.  If they can't find a fix,  at least you'll help narrow down why this is happening,  and maybe you'll have your wish sooner rather than later...

I run Evernote on a Intel Haswell i5 machine with 16gb of RAM and Win 7.  Like others I have been having sluggish response from Evernote - typing and opening notes.  For years Evernote ran smoothly on this machine.  Now it doesn't.  Sometimes it stops for up to 40 seconds.  Extremely frustrating.  Is there any solution... or has recent (and all to frequent software updates) created a buggy application.  Please refer me to your 'help' instructions regarding this problem.

• Level 5*

I run Evernote on a Intel Haswell i5 machine with 16gb of RAM and Win 7.  Like others I have been having sluggish response from Evernote - typing and opening notes.  For years Evernote ran smoothly on this machine.  Now it doesn't.  Sometimes it stops for up to 40 seconds.  Extremely frustrating.  Is there any solution... or has recent (and all to frequent software updates) created a buggy application.  Please refer me to your 'help' instructions regarding this problem.

Hi.  It's important to look at all the usual suspects before abandoning all hope.  Although some Win 7 users have a bad experience,  it seems unlikely,  given 150M users worldwide,  that all Win 7 users have been having the same problem.  In a way,  better of they did - Evernote would have a higher priority on fixing whatever is the issue!

So.  Empty the Trash notebook,  fix any 'Conflicting changes' notifications you may have received and sync.  Make sure the web trash is also empty and sync any connected devices.  File > Exit the Windows account / restart the device and log in again.  Any improvement?

If not,  copy your Activity Log files to that point and raise a support request.

Depending on the response,  and your timescales,  consider uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote.  You should backup your current database - no problems expected,  but just in case.  Reinstall as Administrator and log in.

If that fails to improve things,  consider re-downloading your database.  You'll already have a backup (as above) but you'll need to export any Local Notebooks to ENEX files so as to be able to re-import them to the downloaded notes.  This process may take some time if you have lots of notes - minutes or hours,  not days - so do it when you have no other time pressure.  (A book and a hot beverage of your choice also help! - I've done this a couple of times.)

If you don't otherwise know the status of your workstation,  I'd also suggest checking how much disk space you have left / checking your drive(s) S.M.A.R.T. status and running any diagnostic or memory checks you can,  plus an internet speed test.  Basically make sure the device is not getting in the way of improving your user experience.

If all the above fails,  then yes,  you share the Evernote Curse of Win 7 - though I'm still not sure that's a 'thing'.

Finally - try the web app!

• 2 weeks later...

I do experience the same thing. It used to work fine until the recent updates.

Everything I do will take 20seconds or more before Evernote would respond.

Also, when I copy an entry with a tick box, it automatically tick that off even when I only highlighted that entry so I could move it on another list.

Made me think twice if I would renew my premium account. This really is a big consideration because as the thread starter said, it kills productivity big time.

I do experience the same thing. It used to work fine until the recent updates.

Everything I do will take 20seconds or more before Evernote would respond.

I also have big issues with performance. I run this on a Core i7 machine, and never had issues until lately. 

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue on my Galaxy S5 smartphone as well as on a Windows 7 laptop. Evernote worked fine for months and then the app became very sluggish a few months ago. I edit some notes on my phone but that became nearly impossible with the sluggish response. I would have to wait for 10 seconds or more for each word or character to register. It was impossible to type even short phrases.

I've read elsewhere that formatted text can cause this lag. Things as basic as bold type, and colored fonts. Those are the only extra formatting that I've added to any notes. No web clips or media files. Just text with some words in bold and some words in other font colors. Same font style throughout.

It's still happening but I figured out a compromise workaround. I can still read through the longer notes on my phone without significant lag. It's editing that is problematic. It doesn't happen as much with shorter notes. So for any longer notes that I need to edit frequently, I just set up a shorter "quick access" note. If the main note was something like LIST, then I created a new note called LIST 1 and renamed the larger note LIST 2. For info that I need to consult frequently, and to make quick edits, I can use the much shorter LIST 1 note. I limit the length to just a few paragraphs at most. If I need to consult LIST 2, read-only isn't a problem.

If I need to edit something in LIST 2, I just add a notation in LIST 1 (or another smaller note). Then when I'm back on a laptop or desktop computer, I can make the changes to LIST 2 and clean up LIST 1 again. It's somewhat cumbersome, but not too bad. It lets me use Evernote again without having to do all that reformatting, deleting files and other risky processes that others have suggested that could wipe out data if you're not careful.

I haven't found any other easy-to-accomplish workarounds for the lag issue. It has been happening on both Android 5.1.1 and Win 7 for me in recent months.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this same problem with the Windows downloaded client. Two things that helped me a lot...

- Break up large files into smaller files. 

- Use "Simplify Formatting" periodically on laggy notes

Evernote just couldn't handle a 50+ page note. I'm trying not to create those again, especially as the larger files also seem to be more prone to sync errors. 

• Level 5*

Well - for anyone suffering serious lag;  do some basic housekeeping as already discussed here,  reinstall the app and make sure you have the latest public release - and once you're sure everything else is ruled out,  contact support to submit a bug report.  The more information they have,  the more likely you are to get a fix soon...

• 2 weeks later...

A decent hack for (intentional) lag when searching your Evernote on the Windows client: 

look for the Windows "ENREGED" tool and use it to delay search for X amount of seconds (while you're typing). Helped for me. Basically stops Evernote from doing incremental search right away as you type and getting jammed up right off the bat (with big databases).

• Level 5*
On 2/29/2016 at 0:53 PM, gazumped said:

Well - for anyone suffering serious lag;  do some basic housekeeping as already discussed here,  reinstall the app and make sure you have the latest public release - and once you're sure everything else is ruled out,  contact support to submit a bug report.  The more information they have,  the more likely you are to get a fix soon...

With 15000+ notes it is difficult to find the individual notes that might be causing the problem. However, there is something wrong in the formatting department. When I simplified formatting on all of my notes it resulted in a significant reduction in the number of delays. I have not gone back to check formatting on tables on some older notes - I am too scared! - that I previously tried to simplify formatting on and actually removed the tables. I do have back-ups, so if there are notes that I need to get back in their original state, I can do so (most of my notes are in offline notebooks).

• 1 year later...

Really Evernote? That's it? A 2 years old neglected forum feed that you find first when you type in "evernote lagg" in Google? It's 2017 now and Evernote is still lagging like GTA 5 on a Pentium 3 processor. What the heck are you doing all day in your workplaces!? Fix this ***** or tell us at least why WINDOWS 10 on a 4-core & 2 GHz CPU does not allow an appropriate workflow with a ***** text program... 

I could walk up my walls...

Please help us! Evernote should be a great tool for EVERYONE with a computer

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed this by getting an SSD and putting Windows, the ProgramData folder, and AppData folder (which includes the Evernote DB) on the SSD.  Switching from a 7 year old PC to a new much more powerful one didn't help, but now with the SSD the problem has 95% disappeared.  BTW the SSD also made just about everything else run  much faster.  It's the most cost effective expenditure I've ever made to improve my experience on my desktop. 

However I still agree with everyone else.  We shouldn't have to buy an SSD to get reasonable performance.  Evernote should stop focusing on flashy new features and spend some time fixing the myriad bugs and making sure the performance is reasonable. 

Mike

• Level 5*

I haven't changed my computer at all, other than installing the latest version of Windows 10, but Evernote does seem to be running faster, with fewer delays. I am running the latest beta version, which may indicate that changes are in the works if you stick with the official new releases.

Archived