Web Clipper Clipping Huge (5MB+) Notes and Takes Up All the Upload Allowance!

Mo23

Hey everyone,

I've been running into a really annoying problem with Evernote Web Clipper. I use it to regularly archive cool articles, and over the last week it completely swallowed up my upload allowance. Even when I clip a "simplified article", the file can sometimes exceed 5MB! Is there any setting to compress simplified articles? It is a huge annoyance since it can easily complete that function and become a much better program, no one needs huge notes like that.

Also I was going to consider paying to get the extra bandwidth, but $3 a month? $36 a year? That's the minimum??? That's kind of ridiculous.

Thanks,

Mohamed

• Level 5

If $3 a month is too much and you want access to large websites, then...

Just copy the URL into a blank note and type a few sentences describing the article. A few key words will help.

You can also include a screen copy image of the browser view (top portion of website) for additional info.

When you want to retrieve some of the archived information, just click on the link.

I question the magnitude of this "problem".

it is my experience that there are few clipped websites over 5 MB.

I just scanned my 32,000 notes (half of them are web clippings).

any: source:Clearly source:web.clip

I have a grand total of only 11 notes that exceed 5MB

And most of them are actually multiple websites that I merged together.

My only concern is the size of some of the web pages using the evernote web clipper. The point is to have a good balance between size of the note and quality of the content. There is a bookmark option in the web clipper that does the same thing you mention.

What do you use to clip the web pages? I see it says source:Clearly in your response. Do you use Clearly or just regular web pages and evernote web clipper?

If Clearly keeps the note sizes small, that might be a solution.

Thanks,

Mohamed

If $3 a month is too much and you want access to large websites, then...

Just copy the URL into a blank note and type a few sentences describing the article. A few key words will help.

You can also include a screen copy image of the browser view (top portion of website) for additional info.

When you want to retrieve some of the archived information, just click on the link.

I question the magnitude of this "problem".

it is my experience that there are few clipped websites over 5 MB.

I just scanned my 32,000 notes (half of them are web clippings).

any: source:Clearly source:web.clip

I have a grand total of only 11 notes that exceed 5MB

And most of them are actually multiple websites that I merged together.

• Level 5*

Hey everyone,

I've been running into a really annoying problem with Evernote Web Clipper. I use it to regularly archive cool articles, and over the last week it completely swallowed up my upload allowance. Even when I clip a "simplified article", the file can sometimes exceed 5MB! Is there any setting to compress simplified articles? It is a huge annoyance since it can easily complete that function and become a much better program, no one needs huge notes like that.

Also I was going to consider paying to get the extra bandwidth, but $3 a month? $36 a year? That's the minimum??? That's kind of ridiculous.

Thanks,

Mohamed

Mohamed, there's an old saying, and it really applies here:  "You get what you pay for"

As a Free Account user, you are limited to 60 MB per month of uploads.  This is a very small amount, but it is enough to allow you to evaluate Evernote for free, with no obligations.

LIke most things in life, if you find the Evernote service useful, and you want more upload allowance, then, you will have to pay for it.

Personally, I have had Premium account for over 5 years now, and I have never had to worry about upload limits.  I have never hit the barrier of my monthly upload.  Currently, it is 10GB.  Don't think I'll ever hit that limit.

This frees me to capture as much as I want every day, to make as many edits as I want, to be as creative as I want.

I get all of this for about the cost of 1 or 2 cups of coffee, or one beer a month.  Seems like a good deal to me.

But then, each of us have our own budgets and priorities.  You have to decide.

I can tell you this:  Evernote is the most useful, most productive tool I have at my disposal.  

Good luck to you.  I hope you find a solution that fits your needs and budget.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Mohamed

Mohamed, there's an old saying, and it really applies here:  "You get what you pay for"

As a Free Account user, you are limited to 60 MB per month of uploads.  This is a very small amount, but it is enough to allow you to evaluate Evernote for free, with no obligations.

LIke most things in life, if you find the Evernote service useful, and you want more upload allowance, then, you will have to pay for it.

Personally, I have had Premium account for over 5 years now, and I have never had to worry about upload limits.  I have never hit the barrier of my monthly upload.  Currently, it is 10GB.  Don't think I'll ever hit that limit.

This frees me to capture as much as I want every day, to make as many edits as I want, to be as creative as I want.

I get all of this for about the cost of 1 or 2 cups of coffee, or one beer a month.  Seems like a good deal to me.

But then, each of us have our own budgets and priorities.  You have to decide.

I can tell you this:  Evernote is the most useful, most productive tool I have at my disposal.  

Good luck to you.  I hope you find a solution that fits your needs and budget.

I understand, and we each have an amount we're willing to spend for a particular service. $3 a month just to solve a web clipper problem that will likely come down to switching to the "Bookmark" option or using Clearly to simplify the article is not the best path for me. If I used it more extensively like you do then maybe it would be justified. I've found it to be a great tool as well.

In case any admins view this thread, here's a note for the company:

I believe it would be very beneficial to Evernote if there was a subscription option between free and plus service, something that would be attractive to those who use it regularly but not extensively, and also very affordable. I'm sure they've done studies on this, but I'm just going to put my vote out there. Between $6 and $12 a year for a few extra MBs and offline access to notes on your phone would be very reasonable to me. Most of the other perks of premium aren't very attractive given my usage of the app.

Given the recent article citing the cost cutting and not being able to convert enough free users to premium, it may be time to try a few new tactics. I don't think the company is in trouble like the title suggests, it's a great product and so far there isn't any other i've tried that matches it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/evernote-is-in-deep-trouble-2015-10

• Level 5

What do you use to clip the web pages? I see it says source:Clearly in your response. Do you use Clearly or just regular web pages and evernote web clipper?

I use both types of captures - Clearly and Web
That is why I used the any: command
search for Clearly = source:Clearly
search for Web = source:web.clip
95% of my web captures are done with Clearly

As a test, I clipped this website, including the photo

Not much difference in size
  • 361 KB with Clearly 
  • 360 KB with Web simplified article
  • 371 KB with Web article
I reviewed my web captures and none of my mainly-text notes come anywhere near 5 MB. 

What does impact my note sizes are websites that use a lot of high-resolution photos.
Here is a website that only has 807 words, but  takes up 4.3 MB in one of my notes.

So, I believe your 5 MB captures probably include many photos.
It is my opinion that Evernote is not well-suited for notes containing lots of high-res photos, even with the Premium package.

It is going to be difficult for Evernote to compete with cloud sites such as Google Photos or Flickr (1,000GB of free photo storage). I find Evernote better suited to accurate searches of mainly text based info (txt, pdf, doc, etc.) or websites with few photos.

Archived