Attempting to share notes to a Hotmail email address - undeliverable?

I've shared notes via email to a colleague with a Hotmail email address without incident...until last night, when I received reports that the notes were undeliverable. The diagnostics at the bottom of one of those emails reads as follows:

Guru Diagnostics:

Reporting-MTA: dns; ms-ugc-out.evernote.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 1D2E9448DAE
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; smtp-errors@mailbox.evernote.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:30:32 -0800 (PST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; mcm316@hotmail.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;mcm316@hotmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.hotmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 SC-004 (BAY004-MC5F36) Unfortunately, messages from
204.154.94.124 weren't sent. We recommend that you contact your Internet
service provider. The problem is that too many unwanted messages have been
sent from the following IP address above. You can also refer your provider
In checking out the error message at Outlook.com, the explanation for their error code "550 SC-004" is:

Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We recommend enrolling in our Junk Email Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their email list. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

It appears, then, that the Outlook.com servers are blocking all emails being sent from Evernote's IP address "204.154.94.124", and I can confirm that IP address appears in all of the "undeliverable" notices I received since yesterday (12-Nov-2015).

Any thoughts, aside from asking for an alternate email address for the intended recipient?
  • Level 5*

I'd suggest reporting this to Evernote as a fault - it's up to them to get their IP address unlisted if that's what's happening here.  As far as workarounds go,  you could mail the notes intended for your colleague to yourself initially and then forward them on (or set a rule to do so automatically if there's a keyword you can use...).

There's no guarantee how long getting the IP unlisted will take,  even if Evernote act immediately;  and relisting is always a possibility - these sorts of filters are automatic,  and triggered just by numbers.  Fixing the problem requires finding out why the listing happened in the first place and avoiding that situation in the future.

Archived