How to disable automatic creation of bullet lists (Mac version)?

hrry

Idea

Evernote 6.2 introduced automatic creation of bullet lists with asterix (*) and space. How can I turn that behaviour off? I can't find a setting for that and I'd like to stick to my old way of using my own text bullets.

The actual bullet lists in Evernote have too much indent and the system doesn't create bullets out of minus (-) signs and spaces, which I'm used to using for top level bullets. I wonder if there are ways to control that if I can't turn off the helper functionality.

49 replies to this idea

On 5/11/2016 at 11:43 AM, Richard Bronosky said:

Mac:

[menu] Evernote > Preferences... > Formatting > uncheck "Automatically detect lists, lines, and emojis"

This would be how to do it on the Mac.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Egholm said:

I use manually typed "[ ]" and "*" and don't want EN to convert them to something else.
Can someone guide back to a version that supports this?"

I responded with a screenshot from the latest version of Evernote on the Mac platform
It shows the checkbox for turning off the auto formatting 

I think this resolves your issue.

So is the windows version fixed or only fixed in the beta version?   I don't see any option to turn off the auto-indenting.    If it is beta only how do you download that version?   Thanks.

Hello. I just upgraded Evernote on one of my PC (Win10) and I'm annoyed with this auto-correct feature transforming * into bullets.

I use * to mark lines that require corrections.

Please provide a way to turn this down. In the meantime, I will not upgrade Evernote on my other PCs.

BTW: Thank you for developing such a useful tool.

Another Windows user who begins some lines with asterisk-space and can't believe there's no way to turn off this unwanted new feature.

Waiting...

On 4/28/2016 at 7:23 PM, Jeremy Lawson said:

+1 for fixing in Windows too

Thanks for listening, guys!

On 5/6/2016 at 7:01 PM, Ed C. said:

Please give me the option to stop the auto-bullets in Windows!!!  (version 6.0.6, just installed)

On 5/3/2016 at 8:30 AM, chuckstock said:

So is the windows version fixed or only fixed in the beta version?   I don't see any option to turn off the auto-indenting.    If it is beta only how do you download that version?   Thanks.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions, we really do appreciate your feedback. This thread is dedicated to help and support for issues on the Mac version of Evernote.

You can write in and vote on your feedback for the Windows version at this link:

Windows Desktop Product Feedback

Thanks again for posting, and welcome to the forums!

On 3/9/2016 at 8:23 AM, mirevans said:

Please forgive a question from a newcomer.... I would like the default format for new notes to be ToDo and bullet lists. I can get to that point with two clicks of the mouse, but I'd like new notes come up ready to go in that format. I've checked Preferences (Mac, 6.5), but I can't find a way to do this. Does this option exist? Many thanks!

Welcome, newcomer. What you have done here is called "hijacking a thread". It's not just frowned upon in this community, but everywhere on the internet. Create a new thread for new topics/needs. Include the address of this thread in yours for reference if needed. This behavior is very important because hijacked threads often become double the length that it would have needed to be otherwise and 50% of the info is noise to someone who found this thread searching for the original subject. Conversely, someone with the same need as you may not find the answer in this thread because when they see the unrelated subject in search results they are likely to skip it. It just makes finding answers and getting on with your life much easier when we obey this convention.

On 5/11/2016 at 6:43 PM, Richard Bronosky said:

Mac:

[menu] Evernote > Preferences... > Formatting > uncheck "Automatically detect lists, lines, and emojis"

Windows:

[menu] Tools > Options > [tab] Note > uncheck "Automatically detect lists, lines, and emojis"

I wish :) See the attached screenshot from EN 6.0.6.

Can someone guide back to a version that supports this? I cannot work with this - I'm not doing power-point presentations with small bullets...

2016-05-17 10_01_58-Options.png

• Level 5*
On 2016-05-17 at 1:04 AM, Egholm said:

Can someone guide back to a version that supports this? I cannot work with this - I'm not doing power-point presentations with small bullets...

2016-05-17 10_01_58-Options.png

Can you be clearer on what you're asking for?
"I cannot work with this - I'm not doing power-point presentations with small bullets..." is kind of cryptic

I gather you're not asking about automatic disabling of bullet lists

If the question is auto format or font size, its now specified here

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 8.37.31 AM.png

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you be clearer on what you're asking for?
"I cannot work with this - I'm not doing power-point presentations with small bullets..." is kind of cryptic

I gather you're not asking about automatic disabling of bullet lists

Sorry for the unclearness :) No, looking at that line alone makes no sense :)

But the rest of the post is rather clear, IMHO:

"Windows:
[menu] Tools > Options > [tab] Note > uncheck "Automatically detect lists, lines, and emojis"

Can someone guide back to a version that supports this?"

That is, I wish that "Automatically detect lists, ..." check box was still in my EN.
It was there before, and want to go back to a version having this :) I have have a tendency to skip upgrading when things work, so I don't know how far I should go back.
I use manually typed "[ ]" and "*" and don't want EN to convert them to something else.

I love having my own checkmarks, "[ ]", because those I can mark as having begun "[.]", doubtfull to do, "([ ])", etc.

My comment about PPT was meant to refer to the fact that a slide in PPT often consists of five (auto-formatted) bullets and that's that. In that case such an auto-formatting makes sense. It is consistent with the workflow and is meant for presentation.
My notes are not meant for presentation but for quick recording of my thoughts and findings. If I have to struggle with auto-formatting every now and then, it breaks the flow of writing a quick note.

BR,
Martin

These auto-formatting features have broken the way I use the app. Allowing users to opt out of such aggressive features is trivial and obvious, and I don't understand how it can take months. This is far from the first time that upgrading Evernote has degraded the experience - remember launching Evernote 3.5 and then having to abandon it? Hard to believe it's been half a decade and upgrades are still such a risky proposition. I'm turning automatic updates off again, and will be trying some alternatives to Evernote.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I responded with a screenshot from the latest version of Evernote on the Mac platform
It shows the checkbox for turning off the auto formatting 

Indeed. Hence, with respect to the subject this topic is closed :) 

The solution mentioned above for doing this in Windows, however, is broken.

Although on my Mac it's actually:

[menu] Evernote > Preferences... > Formatting > uncheck "Keyboard shortcuts automatically create lists, lines, and emojis"

I had already tried that and it didn't work but after I found this post I tried it again, Quit EN, started again, then it worked.

Thanks.

On 2017-11-08 at 9:24 AM, kevintjlee said:

I just upgraded to the latest version of Evernote on Mac (6.13) and I'm no longer able to disable automatic bulleting when starting a line with dash+space. I've unchecked the auto format box, but the behavior continues. Is there a fix for this?

Screenshot_11_8_17__9_23_AM.thumb.jpg.3f21878747961db7e1770672a5292aa9.jpg

I am having the same issue. I use a lot of "- " in my notes, and now they are automatically being converted into bullets. This is driving me crazy.... wtf Evernote.

Just updated to version 6.13 on Mac and I'm having this same issue. Any time I start a line with "- " it automatically converts to a bullet point when I hit the space bar.

As mentioned above, this also occurs with the asterisk. Any advice to get this reversed would be appreciated.

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-16 at 6:36 AM, jpollock43 said:

Just updated to version 6.13 on Mac and I'm having this same issue. Any time I start a line with "- " it automatically converts to a bullet point when I hit the space bar.

As mentioned above, this also occurs with the asterisk. Any advice to get this reversed would be appreciated.

Only happens to me when I have auto format checked in Evernoteepreferences5a1458fcd7caf_ScreenShot2017-11-21at08_45_10.png.27a2f25377c4dd881b21fc0b50814b75.png

Same issue with "- " and I can confirm that unchecking the Auto-format box does fix the issue after restart, but that's a really crappy way of handling this Evernote! It's perfectly logical to want keyboard shortcuts (e.g. pasting data that includes a list) to automatically create lists, but NOT want lists to auto-create when just typing a dash and a space. At the very least this should be a separate setting, but really it shouldn't be needed. Just stop converting "- " to a list as that doesn't make any sense at all.

On 12/03/2016 at 6:07 AM, JMichaelTX said:

But it is easy enough to create either format once you have a new note, using keyboard shortcuts:

• ToDo:    ⌘⇧T
  • Bullet List (unordered List):    ⌘⇧U

Where can I change the keyboard shortcuts for these?

I didn't find them in Evernote (6.13.3) -> Preferences -> Keyboard shortcuts

Neither did I find them in Mac -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

Where can I change the keyboard shortcuts for these?

I didn't find them in Evernote (6.13.3) -> Preferences -> Keyboard shortcuts

Neither did I find them in Mac -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts

5a61d29a0985d_ScreenShot2018-01-19at03_10_27.png.ca3faab1595a4238ef5d365a497a809e.pngOn a Mac, you can add/change the keyboard shortcut for any menu item

In the screenshot I have accessed Mac -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts
and added shortcuts for two Evernote items
Note: You have to type the menu text exactly

• Level 5*
On 30/01/2018 at 12:35 AM, Matt Williamson said:

This is broken again

Hi.  Have you checked your settings to make sure an update did not default them the wrong way?  (Evernote will occasionally do that...)

I agree with the above - I find the automatic bullets irritating in principle, they're not formatted the way I'd like proper bullets and I'd rather just put an asterisk or add bullets myself if I want them.  I'm constantly using CMD-Z and I hope the next version will enable me to turn off the automatic bullets.

Found that copying "* " works too.  Means instead of Cntl-Z after typing "* " you type Cntl-V and paste it...  

Extremely annoying that this can't just be turned off.  Why do developers insist on inflicting automatic features without providing a way to turn it off?  Why do managers fail to understand basic UI design?  There was already a shortcut for bulleted lists, that was just fine as it was.

Terribly annoying!

I am not blind, I know that there is such thing like bullet lists. So, if I use the * instead of a bullet list, I have my own reasons!

Is it that hard to imagine that?

If only some designers / programmes were intelligent enough not to put intelligence in a simple notebook program! 

If this is not fixed in the next version, I will switch to another program, or the dear old plain text. 

Please forgive a question from a newcomer.... I would like the default format for new notes to be ToDo and bullet lists. I can get to that point with two clicks of the mouse, but I'd like new notes come up ready to go in that format. I've checked Preferences (Mac, 6.5), but I can't find a way to do this. Does this option exist? Many thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's no way to default to a special type of text note as a new note,  but you could create a blank note with the layout you prefer and just copy that template when you need a new note;  but that also requires additional clicks...

• Level 5*
On 3/10/2016 at 7:23 AM, mirevans said:

I would like the default format for new notes to be ToDo and bullet lists. I can get to that point with two clicks of the mouse, but I'd like new notes come up ready to go in that format.

There is no way to set the default Note to be either ToDO or bullet lists.

But it is easy enough to create either format once you have a new note, using keyboard shortcuts:

• ToDo:    ⌘⇧T
  • Bullet List (unordered List):    ⌘⇧U

Archived