Moving Evernote from an old Mac to a new Mac

I'm going to be doing a clean install on a new Mac so I am not restoring from a backup.

I understand that this works as follows:

For synced notebooks, these will automatically repopulate when the new client is installed and synced.

For local notebooks, I should export them in ENEX format and then import them on the new computer.

Is that correct?

Do I also need to copy over the files in: /Users/me/Documents/Evernote?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The basics are correct,  but I don't know about the ...documents/evernote contents.  You could copy them to another folder as a contingency and check for the original folder after the reinstall to see whether it has been rebuilt...

• Level 5*

I'm going to be doing a clean install on a new Mac so I am not restoring from a backup.

I understand that this works as follows:

For synced notebooks, these will automatically repopulate when the new client is installed and synced.

For local notebooks, I should export them in ENEX format and then import them on the new computer.

Is that correct?

Do I also need to copy over the files in: /Users/me/Documents/Evernote?

Thanks.

No, you do not need to copy the files in /Users/me/Documents/Evernote.

Some things you should be aware of concerning ENEX files:

1. They do not contain any Notebook data, so it's best to export each NB to a separate ENEX file.
  2. When you export, be sure to check the "Include tags" box
  3. When you export to ENEX, you loose some important data about each Note:
    1. Notebook
    2. Created and Modified dates
    3. Links to the Note (when imported the Notes will have new GUID)
    4. Tag Hierarchies (sub-tags)
  4. If the original Notes were sync'd Notes, then when you import them back in, it will go against your monthly upload allowance for sync'd Notes

So, a better option might be to backup Evernote on your old/current Mac to an external drive, and then restore to your new Mac.

• Level 5*

Thanks very much JMichael. I only have one local notebook so not a major problem there.

When you say backup EN to an external drive, what do you mean by that ie how to do that?

How To Copy Your EN Mac Database to a New Mac

Do a manual sync of Evernote, and confirm all Notes in sync'd Notebooks are in the EN Cloud using the EN Web client in your Browser.

To Backup your Evernote Mac folder/database:

1. Goto Evernote Mac > About Evernote
  2. Hold down the OPTION key to reveal the “Open Database Folder” link
  3. Click on this link to open the Mac Finder to this folder
  4. QUIT Evernote, both the App and from the Apple menu (if it is still there)
  5. The Finder is showing the EN data folder for the current EN account that you are logged in to on your Mac
  6. In the Finder, move back to the top level “com.evernote.Evernote” folder.
    1. For the Direct D/L version, the Parent Folder is:  ~Library:Application Support
    2. Be sure to record this location because you will need it in the Restore step
  7. Backup this “Evernote” folder, either by a copy to an external drive, or using a backup tool like the Archive Utility or 3rd party tool.  See The Best Mac Backup Software of 2015 | Top Ten Reviews 
  8. Also copy/backup the Evernote.app to the external drive

Time Machine is not a very good choice if you want to backup only 1 folder.  The only selection option in TM is to EXCLUDE folders.

To Restore the "Evernote" folder to a new Mac:

1. Plug in the external drive
  2. Copy or Restore the "Evernote" folder you created in Step #7 above to its parent folder on your new Mac
  3. Copy/restore the Evernote.app to your Applications folder

You should now be ready to start the Evernote.app and verify your Notes are all in order.

NOTE:  The Mac Archive Utility does not prompt for "Save to" location or "Restore to" location.  You will need to open the Archive Utility app and change these locations in the Preferences before running the operation.

Archived