Creating a URL Link

I'm trying to learn a bit more about URL links, particularly with the app services of my bible software.

My app has created this link accord://read/UB_Commentary#31918 This link is recognised as a live link in Apple mail, pages, notes etc and if I click it it will take me to that ref in my app.  However in Evernote it remains dormant.

accord://read/UB_Commentary#31918

I'm fairy limited in my knowledge on this. Do Evernote links have to begin with 'http' or 'www'?  Do I have any obvious errors in the link like the hashtag that's preventing it from being recognised?  I'm not able to manually edit this as the edit form won't let me enter it (okay is greyed out).  I have tried reading through the forum for some help, but the all the content seems a bit complex for me.  Any insight or tips on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Accordance Software + Apple El Capitan

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK Evernote requires links of a specific type:  either web pages - http:// or www,  email addresses with an '@',  or file:/// which tells Evernote to open a local file on your computer.  As yet it doesn;t know what to do with your accord link.  You'd need to know more about Apple / ElC's rules on links,  and how (if at all) Evernote could be set up to navigate to the reference.  I'd suggest raising a support ticket - click Troubleshooting in the Help Center (link below in my sig) and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 'Contact Support' button.

Very helpful answer Gazumped - I'll take your advice and raise support.

Just for the record, when I copy the same link from from one of the above Apple apps (not accordance), the link goes live.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I assume the Apple apps you're copying from have already done whatever translation is necessary to the link to make it operate as a normal 'open local file' link,  Accordance doesn't seem to be quite so open with its links.

:)

Yes, I Imagine that there must be some kind of translation going on somewhere; even though, when I go into the edit box for that live link the code is identical; but alas there are is no way to edit that as the box is greyed out.  

Thanks again, I appreciate your interest in this topic.  I'll follow up support, but if you have any further insight I'd glad of that.

p.s .  nice to be talking to a fellow UK user.  Paul (Gloucester).  

• Like 1

I'm trying to learn a bit more about URL links, particularly with the app services of my bible software.

My app has created this link accord://read/UB_Commentary#31918 This link is recognised as a live link in Apple mail, pages, notes etc and if I click it it will take me to that ref in my app.  However in Evernote it remains dormant.

I'm fairy limited in my knowledge on this. Do Evernote links have to begin with 'http' or 'www'?  Do I have any obvious errors in the link like the hashtag that's preventing it from being recognised?  I'm not able to manually edit this as the edit form won't let me enter it (okay is greyed out).  I have tried reading through the forum for some help, but the all the content seems a bit complex for me.  Any insight or tips on this would be greatly appreciated. 

accord:// works fine for me - have a look at

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAHeQKXDG-JEg4RbCNijx0DkeHixll7o_Co/

iPad Air 1, iOS 9.1

In my iOS Evernote notes all app links seems to work since years - for any app which support such links (per example Goodreader).

Greetings from Germany (also near UK ;-) )

• Like 1

HerbyDE, your link (http://www.evernote....0DkeHixll7o_Co/)  is an Evernote link taking me to an Accordance note in Evernote.  The idea of Accordance links ( accord://read/UB_Commentary#31918)  is that they will go directly to my Accordance App/Library and open that particular reference.  

My Evernote link in the forum post was only a link to a screenshot.

Yes, the Accordance App opens at once if you make a fingertip to the link "accord://..."

I made a movie for you to show how it works:

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAG6ZAllqQZDhZZiVyAmVJYGZovezHFr3Qw/

Thank you that was helpful, although I do note that that was in iOS.  Does the same link work on the desktop / laptop.  How did you create the link?

Thanks again.

1. In iOS Accordance app: mark something and a menu appears (copy, share and so on) - use "share" and then the Evernote icon. This will generate a new note with the "accord://..." link.

2. I have no Mac so I could only make a test with Windows - it works. The Evernote desktop versions (Win) opens Accordance (Win) with the same link.

Yes, thank you when I create the link on iOS it goes live as you have demonstrated.  Interestingly the link remains live when it updates on the desktop version and then links successfully to the desktop app.  Sadly I still can't copy and paste a link on the desktop platform.  Thank you, very helpful.

Yes, thank you when I create the link on iOS it goes live as you have demonstrated.  Interestingly the link remains live when it updates on the desktop version and then links successfully to the desktop app.  Sadly I still can't copy and paste a link on the desktop platform.  Thank you, very helpful.

I suppose you copy just text and you have to do one step more in desktop enviroment:

Try this (it is Evernote-Win-Desktop, but in Mac should you find the same options):

1. mark your accord://... line (in Evernote note)

2. right mouse button

3. select "Hyperlink"

4. "Add Hyperlink" -> copy in this field again the same "accord://..."

Save it - now you have a blue link - click this in desktop ...

Evernote won't allow me to hyperlink anything beginning with accord://...  Your continued support is still appreciated.

strange ... what exactly happens?

So, if you wrote in your note the word "testlink", mark it, choose "Hyperlink" and put in the field "http://google.com"you got an hyperlink.

An if you wrote "testlink", mark it, choose "Hyperlink" and put in the field "accord://..." -> what is the error message in the Mac version? Any Screenshot?

• Level 5*

This is a known limitation in EN Mac.

The Mac, in general, will support any URL Scheme (Protocol Type) for which there has been an app installed for it.

As you have found, the "accord://" protocol works fine in other Mac apps like Mail, Pages, etc.  It also works fine in TextEdit.

So, here's a workaround for Evernote:

1. Using TextEdit (in rich text mode), create a HTML hyperlink
    1. Enter the display text for the link
    2. Select the text
    3. Press CMD-K and enter the URL ("accord://read/UB_Commentary#31918" in your case, without the quotes)
    4. Now copy the the HTML hyperlink you just created
  2. Go to EN Mac, and paste into your Note

I don't have the Accordance SW app, but I do have another app that provides a unique URL Scheme (dash), and I just tested this in EN Mac 6.1 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and it worked fine.

jmichael, Yes, your suggestion does work. Much appreciated.  The multi-steps would eventually limit its use for me, but it clearly proves that a third party link can and should work.  Tech Support are currently working on a fix and and I'll forward this information to them.  Thanks for your time.

• Level 5*
@paulmj21:

I have written an AppleScript to create & paste a hyperlink using any protocol into Evernote.

See SCRIPT: Create & Paste Rich Text Hyperlink for any URL Protocol 

This is the first version, and I have given it only limited testing under Yosemite 10.10.5.

Although I'm reusing a lot of existing code, there could be, and probably are, some bugs.  So proceed carefully, and if you find any bugs please post here, or PM me.

It should work very much like the built-in "Add Link" (CMD-K) function.

Just select the text you want to add a link to, and run the script.  I use FastScripts to assign a shortcut key.

The one downside is that when the created link is pasted back into your Note it will overwrite the formatting of the selected text.

But at the top of the script you can set the font & size you prefer.  Default is Verdana 14pt.

If you (or anyone) decide to try the script, please let me know how it goes, and if you find any bugs, or have any suggestions for improvements.

• Like 1

I'm a bit of novice when it comes to apple scripts, though I have at times successfully ran (very basic) prepared scripts.

I'm struggling to know where the actual script begins (cursor point for copying into applescript).  Would you be kind enough to send me the applescript as an actual attachment, then I can set it to run under Automator.

Cheers, Paul

UK Users - I had real difficulties in running JMicheal's script.  I was just getting repeated errors.  Anyway I worked out that the date format was wrong for the UK.  If you change the two dates to '11.11.2015' you will cover the day and month priority.  It's still not picking up the clipboard text for first time.  I need to get the URL from the main app,. Paste it into EN, Copy it again and then run the script.  It's still a few extra steps, but its an effective way of making the link go live.

• Level 5*

UK Users - I had real difficulties in running JMicheal's script.  I was just getting repeated errors.  Anyway I worked out that the date format was wrong for the UK.  If you change the two dates to '11.11.2015' you will cover the day and month priority.  It's still not picking up the clipboard text for first time.  I need to get the URL from the main app,. Paste it into EN, Copy it again and then run the script.  It's still a few extra steps, but its an effective way of making the link go live.

I have updated the script to Ver 1.0.1 to remove the unneeded date variable (left over from another script).

It has been updated on the MacScripter.net site, and is also attached here as a zip file.

This script is designed to work just like the Evernote "Add link" feature:

1. Copy the actual URL to the clipboard
  2. Enter text in a EN Note (could be the URL) and select the that text
  3. Run the script -- it will prompt you for the URL, which you can paste from the clipboard.
  4. Script will create HTML hyperlink and replace the selected text in the EN Note.

The script assumes you have selected the text to use as the display text for the URL.

If nothing is selected, it should prompt you for both the display text and the URL.

Please let me know if it is not working this way for you.

Attachment:

Create Hyperlink with Custom Protocol from Selected Text.scpt Ver 1.01.zip

• Like 1

Yes, that is the process that I'm using and it is working well.  I've updated to v1.0.1.

A great utility and a big help to my workflow.  Hopefully EN will come up with a more permanent fix.  

Thank you for your help on this.

Paul

• Like 1

I've removed the line. 

set the clipboard to "NO SELECTION" 

from the above script.  

That means after copying the URL from my main app, I jump over to EN, run the script and 'paste' into the dialogue box and the live script drops in.

It just saves me a few steps.  Full credit to JMichael

• Level 5*

I've removed the line. 

set the clipboard to "NO SELECTION" 

from the above script.  

That means after copying the URL from my main app, I jump over to EN, run the script and 'paste' into the dialogue box and the live script drops in.

It just saves me a few steps.  Full credit to JMichael

There is no need to remove this line:

set the clipboard to "NO SELECTION"

It is needed to detect whether or not you have selected text in EN Note before running the script.

Without the line, if you have NOT selected text, it will use whatever is on the clipboard, which may or may not be what you want.

If you have not selected text, the script will prompt you for:

1. Display Text (you can paste here from the clipboard if you want)
    1. Some people might prefer text here, like "John 3.1", instead of the URL
  2. URL (again, you can paste)
    1. At this point, you could even switch to your main app, and copy the URL, then switch back and paste.
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Unfortunately both work-arounds (via Textedit or Applescript) are not supported by Evernote 10.

Pasting URL schemes into Evernote 10 only paste the text of the link, not the link. And Applescript is not supported.