Evernote for Mac 6.2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.2.  The key changes are:

• A redesigned note editor toolbar and window view that allows Evernote to be shrunk so you can use Split View on El Capitan but continue to use Evernote.  Even before I switched to El Cap I found it useful because one is always trying to copy stuff to or from Evernote to another app and these new features allows one to do that.
  • Work Chat is moved to the bottom of the sidebar to emphasize note taking again but to also give messaging it’s own separate space.  Along with this is an all new note sharing infrastructure that we believe is a lot more stable and reliable. 
  • Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor.  If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it.
Of course we also fixed a number of bugs including some of the top crashing issues and some weirdness caused when running Evernote on El Capitan.

The Mac App Store version (6.2.1) was released on 1/17.  As always, please give us your feedback and/or issues with this release in this forum so we can spot them quicker.   You can download the app from here.   

NOTE: Beta users who ran 6.2 Beta 4 and do not use English as their primary OS language will NOT be able to upgrade to the final version of 6.2.  Unfortunately there is a bug in Beta 4 that prevents the upgrade process from working for non-English systems.  Please download the final version of 6.2 from the link above after which everything will work fine.   The issue is in the upgrade dialog and not Evernote itself.

• Level 5*

While all of this time is being spent on the Toolbar, can we get an indent/outdent like EN for Windows, iOS, and even this forum has, rather than forcing us to remember Shift-CMD-[ and Shift-CMD-]?

And merging in the order notes are selected. 

+1 for the option to nuke, or at least make optional, the auto-formatting.

My workflow has been to do NO formatting in EN at all, instead using a "markdown-like" plain text approach. I have literally a GB of notes like this. If I need formatting I use another tool, generally (because EN Is not really full-featured for well-formatted copy).

• Level 5*

Marcus has said multiple times in this thread, including on this page -- and literally in the post above yours -- that a setting to turn auto-formatting is coming in an upcoming build. It's already available in a beta you can download right now.

I personally hate the auto-formatting as well, but let's not beat a dead horse after the Evernote team was receptive to feedback and responsive in offering a fix.

As long as they understand the need to make auto formatting optional. You think we should start a new thread about this issue so they notice it?  :D

• Level 5*

When will the Mac app get the same interface as the Web app? The web interface looks great where the Mac app feels outdated (and slow). It's been a while since the new web interface was introduced. Hope you'll bring this to the Mac version soon.

Really? You like having just a few navigation icons, no dedicated search box, hidden shortcuts, hidden tag list, and hidden notebook list?

The only thing I like about the web version is when you are in a large note, the note subject is visible 100% of the time at the top, a great feature that has been gone since 5.x for Windows and not sure when they removed it from the mac.

But other than that, I want nothing from the website. Too limiting. Fine for a browser and occasional use if not at your machine, but not for serious work.

• Level 5*

There is an issue in 6.2 when selecting tags with the mouse. If I select the tag by typing a few characters, then moving the cursor down with the keypad and pressing enter, it works fine.

If I select a few characters though, the scroll through with the mouse/touchpad, then single tap on a tag, it merely selects it. Double-clicking does select it and put it in the tag area, but it still isn't finished. It is just a word not in the light blue/gray box. I still have to press Enter to get it to accept the tag.

At the very least, double-clicking it should fully accept it.

Lost functionality in 6.2 with El Capitan:  Dragging note windows from fullscreen Evernote into other spaces.

I've had a system in place for the last year where I keep EN in fullscreen mode in its own space right next to my desktop.  When I create a new note, I don't edit it in the main app window, I double click it so it makes its own window and then I drag it over to my desktop so that I can see my reference material.

El capitan made that even easier, allowing me to use split view, where my note was in the left third of my screen and my browser was in the rest.

However, with version 6.2, I can no longer drag the note out of the fullscreen evernote and onto my desktop.  It seems the note window has to stay in the same place with the rest of the app.  I've contacted support and it seems it's a design issue.

There is a workaround -- instead of using full screen mode, I have to just create another desktop and put evernote in it.  It works but for the visible menu bar at the top which is hidden in fullscreen mode.  I'd just prefer not to have to use a workaround for a feature that I've come to rely on.

• Level 5*

Found a fairly niche problem with numbered bullets whilst presenting (related to new formatting option).  I created a numbered list with the new method, but there was space in between the bullets.  So I had three bullets which I manually made numerically sequential 1. 2. 3..  That's a great feature of the new formatting option.  But the numbers display as 1. 1. 1. when the note is presented.

Screenshot 1: the note editor.

screenshot.png?resizeSmall&width=416

Screenshot 2: the presented note.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2012.14.

I'm not able to reproduce this.  Does anyone else see this same issue?  I'll contact you directly to see if I can get a sample.

BUG REPORT:  Source URL Link is Not Displayed in Main Note View

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Actually I don't know if this is a bug or a design change, but starting with EN Mac 6.2 the Source URL link is no longer displayed on the main Note view.

IMO, this is a HUGE step backwards.

I always need to see, know, and be able to quickly click on the web page link that the Note was created from.

There is plenty of room at the top of the Note where the Note dates are displayed to show the URL.

Please restore this ASAP.  Make sure it is a click-able link.

EN-Mac-6.2-Source-URL-Not-Shown.png

I just tried to reproduce this and was able to do this once after switching versions but resizing the window fixed it for me.  Do you remember the steps you took to get into this state?  Is it permanent or does rebooting the app fix the issue?  Is the issue still there even after resizing the window?  I'm using El Cap but it looks like you're using Yosemite so maybe this is an OS issue.  For others seeing the problem are you using Yosemite?  

I should also add that this is a bug and not a design decision.

For me, URLs don't show up in the header if the note is in the main EN window (list view.) They only show up if I open the note in a new window.

• Level 5*

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.2.  The key changes are:

• Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.
  • Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”). 

Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor. If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it.

Using CMD+Z does not work exactly as expected.

If I want two spaces after the number, and I press "CMD+Z", and then press "SPACE", it re-converts the line to a list.

How do I get a "1." and two spaces without converting to a list?

Again, I don't really see the added value of the new "text-editing shortcuts" when we already have "CMD+SHIFT+O" and "CMD+SHIFT+U" to create a numbered and bulleted list, respectively.

Everytime I type a "1. " or a "* " I don't necessarily want to start a list.

No feature is better than a half baked feature IMHO.

If you are going to do Markdown then do it properly, if you aren't going to do it properly then get rid of the bits you have so far kept. Doesn't seem like that they are useful, work well or are particularly loved. Getting rid of them is easier than adding a preference.

Bulleted and numbered list auto-formatting is standard in most word processors.  This is how MS Word, Google Docs and Apple Pages work so this isn't a half-baked mark down feature but base line functionality that most people expect.  The word processors also make this an option so it makes sense that we do the same.  I'll keep everyone posted on our investigation.

You got it right with "auto-formatting is standard in most word processors" _and_ "The word processors also make this an option." Desperately waiting for EN to have this as an option.

Also, still want the notebook selected to be indicated in the sidebar. A few versions back, someone from the EN team indicated that EN was supposed to be following the display model of Apple's Mail app, but Mail has properly highlighted the correct inbox/outbox since the beginning.

How can I disable the auto-format !? So useless and breaks my format.

There currently isn't a way to disable the auto-format of numbered and bulleted lists... how is it breaking your formatting?

I used to write my own lists with '* ' at the beginning.

Now with 6.2 i do have to find another placeholder for my own lists or hit CMD-Z on every line :-(

This is very annoying and i really don't see any benefit!

I want to get rid of this "Auto-formatting" as it is getting into the way.

+1 for removing "Auto-formatting" or at least being able to disable

Reeeeeeeally want / need to disable the auto-formatting. It doesn't allow for:

1. Space line between numbered entries

2. Sub-categories of a., b., c., etc. (the long-standing use of numbers as subcategories of numbers has never made sense)

Not sure what word processor you're familiar with, but all the ones I've used allow override of automated list formatting (without having to add even more keystrokes by relying on CMD+Z for each and every numbered item).

Love, love, love my EN, but this "shortcut" is a serious pain. If we want the standard EN numbered list, we can still opt into it using the button at the top of any note.

• Level 5*

@PeeJayTee and @SoftwareMarcus:

I give you guys A+ for intentions.  Lots of folks would really like for Evernote to support Markdown.

May I suggest this:  The best way Evernote could support Markdown is to provide a plain text section which would be just that, plain text, and NOT apply or allow any rich text formatting.

I think a lot of people would like to enter Markdown text in Evernote so that they could later use the Markdown snippents to copy/paste into apps and web sites that will use, and maintain, Markdown code and then produce the HTML rich text formatted output.

This plain text Evernote section could also be used for storing code snippets.  So, you could kill two birds with one stone...

But let me remind you of this:  I think that the large majority of Evernote users have never heard of "Markdown", and have no use for "Code Snippets".

So, your first objective, IMO, is to NOT confuse these users.  Provide them with great support of Rich Text, which they expect.

If you can provide a plain text section, totally optional to all users, that can be rendered as HTML Rich Text, or as code blocks with syntax color coding, then that would be terrific.

IOW, provide a "plain text section" that when created would allow the user to specify it should be rendered as "Markup HTML RichText", or as color-coded syntax for a selected standard language.  When *viewing* the Note would show the rendered block. When "editing" the Note would be shown as plain text.

When will the Mac app get the same interface as the Web app? The web interface looks great where the Mac app feels outdated (and slow). It's been a while since the new web interface was introduced. Hope you'll bring this to the Mac version soon.

Actually I think 6.2 is a step closer to the web site.  Just shrink the toolbar to just show icons and it feels a little like the website.  Also you can customize the toolbar and get rid of all the icons or just keep the search box so it's really clean.  In fact a lot of our designers run this way because they like it better.  Also as EdH points out a lot of people rely on the sidebar having notebooks and tags to quickly get to their notes so a clean simple interface isn't for everyone.  

By the way, we have a new beta build for you to try.  Again if you want to get rid of the auto-formatting this has a preference to turn it off.  I should also mention that El Cap caused a number of crashes in Evernote that we think 6.3 has fixed so that's another benefit of this new release.  We hope to ship it to all beta users tomorrow.

Nice upgrade!  I am thoroughly pleased that Evernote was willing to compromise on features based on user feedback during the beta series.

Number/Asterisks lists are a welcome addition, and are indeed a common-place feature found in other text editors.  There is a slight delay when the asterisk space becomes a bullet—feels choppy, albeit subtly.  Would like to see the dash "-" added as a trigger for lists (see the native Notes app on El Capitan as an example).  In my use, ⇧8 <space> is not much of a time-savings, if any, over the existing ⇧⌘U shortcut (although this is more about keeping a train of thought uninterrupted than it is about time savings).  A dash <space> flows quickly and ergonomically.

The new condensed side bar looks great.  Very happy to see work chat demoted (not-so-silently hoping for complete removal, or perhaps repurposing/rebranding—"activity log"?).  Snippet view is buggy in full-screen mode (El Capitan) when switching to/from Evernote.

The solid white background in the note pane feels clean and professional—definitely an improvement over the compartmentalized design from previous versions.

All in all, glad to see that Evernote is focused on note-taking again!  6.2 is an important step forward in that regard.

Wish list for 6.3

• Dash space trigger for lists
  • Ability to send notes as an email via share button (this used to exist, then was buried under "More Sharing")
  • Performance improvements—current note editing feels choppy

Since when Evernote has become another "Adobe"?

Now that you have users like me hooked on your platform, so it's time for you become presumptuous to just "know" that every users likes/wants/uses text-editing shortcuts?  Does this automatically justify your forceful implementation of the new text-editing shortcuts "feature" down all users' throat without giving us an option to turn it off?

This reminds me of Adobe's recent decision to remove basic functionalities from Photoshop Lightroom's import dialog, calling it "evolution" and having the audacity to say "most users want this." The backlash was so severe that Adobe had to bring back the old interface in the most recent release but it left a really bitter taste in all the users' mouth.

Is this the same path that Evernote wants to head down? The responses from staff are like: "other apps have this", "we think it's a good feature so we will just force you to live with it" or "only a small percentage of people are having issues."

Good job, Evernote. I have been your user/supporter since the very early days. What you have done here and your follow-up self-justification have for the first time in history made me start looking for alternatives. I refuse to support arrogant developers like this, especially given the resources at your disposal. Worse, you're not even acknowledging users with existing established workflows. Does doing this make you feel more superior?

The 6.2 release notes should have added:

"Type a number then a period and I get hit with your complete disregard for loyalty and workflows. Bam. I'm outta here."

Please make the new number/list formatting an "on/off" option in the preferences panel.   Silly to have to continually undo what's automated.  Very distractive to the writing process.  Thank you.

You are more polite than me in actually drafting a request. But given the responses that I've observed so far, it seems Evernote has already made up their mind this is a superior feature that doesn't need an on/off option.

@PeeJayTee and @SoftwareMarcus:

I give you guys A+ for intentions.  Lots of folks would really like for Evernote to support Markdown.

May I suggest this:  The best way Evernote could support Markdown is to provide a plain text section which would be just that, plain text, and NOT apply or allow any rich text formatting.

I think a lot of people would like to enter Markdown text in Evernote so that they could later use the Markdown snippents to copy/paste into apps and web sites that will use, and maintain, Markdown code and then produce the HTML rich text formatted output.

This plain text Evernote section could also be used for storing code snippets.  So, you could kill two birds with one stone...

But let me remind you of this:  I think that the large majority of Evernote users have never heard of "Markdown", and have no use for "Code Snippets".

So, your first objective, IMO, is to NOT confuse these users.  Provide them with great support of Rich Text, which they expect.

If you can provide a plain text section, totally optional to all users, that can be rendered as HTML Rich Text, or as code blocks with syntax color coding, then that would be terrific.

IOW, provide a "plain text section" that when created would allow the user to specify it should be rendered as "Markup HTML RichText", or as color-coded syntax for a selected standard language.  When *viewing* the Note would show the rendered block. When "editing" the Note would be shown as plain text.

It's true that most people don't know or use Markdown, but is it so hard to implement a switch in settings to turn it on? Apps like Desk give you the option to either work WYSIWYG or use Markdown. I think that's would be great.

+1 on removing the forced auto formatting. It really disrupts my work flow and could potentially be a deal breaker for me. 

At least Adobe issued a public apology in the end, after they forced whole bunch of new Lightroom features down users throat that created a backlash. But will Evernote be brave to do this or continue to blame the "minority" users for not knowing how to "save time" with their new superior "shortcuts"?

• Level 5*

Actually I think 6.2 is a step closer to the web site.  

@Marcus, first, I hope you are having a great Thanksgiving.  Go ahead, eat too much.  That's what this day is designed for   ;)  (well, not really).

Please, please, please, do not go any further trying to make EN Mac look like EN Web.  I hate EN Web.

We need EN Mac to be our workhorse, not some writers idea of needing a so-called "clutter free" environment.

If people want less clutter, then they can:

1. Use the EN Web client
  2. Open a Note in its own window, and display full screen.

Many, many, many of us need and like the toolbars, with all of our handy tools, showing while we work, while we read and compose.

"Clutter-free" has become the latest buzz, the latest cool thing, just like Flash was once upon a time (what a disaster -- every web site thought they had to use it exclusively).

I have noticed that what web designers, and app UI designers, personally prefer often is not what large segments, perhaps a majority, of real end-users prefer.  Most of us want function over form.  We'd rather it be function-rich, work very well, over just looking pretty.  If you can design high functionality and an aesthetically pleasing form, then you have achieved the ultimate design goal.

Having said all that, I'm certainly not against you providing options in Preferences to hide certain UI elements.

In fact, years ago,  EN Win had shortcut keys that toggled show/hide of virtually every main UI element.

I think that would be great.

But, please, don't shove your notion of a clutter-free design down our throats.  The reaction is likely to be far worse than that you saw when you tried to force the minor auto-formatting on us.

I don’t like the way Evernote 6.2 handles emojis. Please let me keep them „old school“ —  that’s like this: :) — without having to press CMD-Z every single time to return to this format. So: Please let us turn this, ugh, „feature“ off.

post-76663-0-62729100-1448959499_thumb.j

I read that I can do something *text* and then it will be italic
**text** this will be bold
`code` this will be code block

But this doesn't work on the 6.2 on El Capitan, Do I miss something ?

I also took a look at the preferences but couldn't find an option to enable/disable such feature

Could please anyone guide me on how to enable this ?

Found a fairly niche problem with numbered bullets whilst presenting (related to new formatting option).  I created a numbered list with the new method, but there was space in between the bullets.  So I had three bullets which I manually made numerically sequential 1. 2. 3..  That's a great feature of the new formatting option.  But the numbers display as 1. 1. 1. when the note is presented.

Screenshot 1: the note editor.

screenshot.png?resizeSmall&width=416

Screenshot 2: the presented note.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2012.14.

• Level 5*

I also took a look at the preferences but couldn't find an option to enable/disable such feature

They switched most of that stuff off as it didn't seem to hit the mark. I believe numbered lists and tables still works but the basic text formatting doesn't.

• Level 5*

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

Actually I don't know if this is a bug or a design change, but starting with EN Mac 6.2 the Source URL link is no longer displayed on the main Note view.

I always need to see, know, and be able to quickly click on the web page link that the Note was created from.

There is plenty of room at the top of the Note where the Note dates are displayed to show the URL.

EN-Mac-6.2-Source-URL-Not-Shown.png

They switched most of that stuff off as it didn't seem to hit the mark. I believe numbered lists and tables still works but the basic text formatting doesn't.

Too bad :( - I was eagerly waiting for the code blocks

Why couldn't we get it with an option maybe to turn it on/off :(

• Level 5*

My 2¢ on the markdown/formatting.

Either fully support markdown at https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntaxor don't.

And for any quick formatting (like the 1. stuff) provide a simple toggle in the menu to enable/disable this. I can see where it can be useful, and I will use it more often than not, and appreciate it, but I can also see the frustration it is causing others. And pay attention to what others have done here. Like it or not, Word is the industry standard here, and it supports the following:

• 1. (EN supports)
  • * (EN supports)
  • 1) (EN doesn't support)
  • A. (EN doesn't support)
  • A) (EN doesn't support)
  • a. (EN doesn't support)
  • a)  (EN doesn't support)
  • I. (EN doesn't support) - roman numeral bullets
  • I) (EN doesn't support) - roman numeral bullets

There may be others, but a quick overview shows EN supports just 22% of the quick formatting for lists, and if there are others Word supports, that 22% goes down quickly. Again, either fully support how people and other software use this stuff, or don't. Implementing such a limited subset of ways to start a list is just infuriating as it appears that some things work, others don't, and there is no rhyme or reason for what does and doesn't.

Even though I like the idea of the automatic formatting, I'd prefer it be turned off overall so I can stop guessing when a list will start and when it won't.

Please stop forcing changes that impact how people work.

Evernote is getting better and better, but I have lost preview of PDF with this last update. I have to open the PDF attachment to read it. Sometimes it helps to restart Evernote. Hope this bug will be fixed on next update. I am super excited about all the new improvements. Thank you Evernote!

• Level 5*

I don’t like the way Evernote 6.2 handles emojis. Please let me keep them „old school“ —  that’s like this: :) — without having to press CMD-Z every single time to return to this format. So: Please let us turn this, ugh, „feature“ off.

I'm just curious. Did you read any posts at all in this thread? Anything at all about how this was fixed in the next beta, 6.3 b1, which is out by the way.

Please, I am begging you, no one else post how they want to have automatic formatting be an option in this thread.

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

I agree, missing this too. I loved the ability to quickly go back to the source. I understand that you want a clean interface, but please also make this an option then.

• Level 5*

What would really be great is a fully customizable formatting toolbar, where the user can choose as few or as many buttons as he/she likes.  Any item on the Format menu should be available as a toolbar button.

And merging in the order notes are selected. I want that button.  ;)

I'd also be ok with customizable formatting tool bars, but it would need to be sync'd with the service and not a local setting that was wiped if you got a new machine or had to uninstall/reinstall for some reason.

• Level 5*

I'd also be ok with customizable formatting tool bars, but it would need to be sync'd with the service and not a local setting that was wiped if you got a new machine or had to uninstall/reinstall for some reason.

This illustrates the need to have lots of choices as Preference settings.

Each of us have our own machines, workflows, and UI preferences.

For me, I'd want the toolbar setup to be machine specific, because I have some Macs with small screens and others with large external monitors.  But I agree that the Preference setting should persist across EN updates.

Archived