Evernote for Mac 6.2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.2.  The key changes are:

• A redesigned note editor toolbar and window view that allows Evernote to be shrunk so you can use Split View on El Capitan but continue to use Evernote.  Even before I switched to El Cap I found it useful because one is always trying to copy stuff to or from Evernote to another app and these new features allows one to do that.
  • Work Chat is moved to the bottom of the sidebar to emphasize note taking again but to also give messaging it’s own separate space.  Along with this is an all new note sharing infrastructure that we believe is a lot more stable and reliable. 
  • Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor.  If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it.
Of course we also fixed a number of bugs including some of the top crashing issues and some weirdness caused when running Evernote on El Capitan.

The Mac App Store version (6.2.1) was released on 1/17.  As always, please give us your feedback and/or issues with this release in this forum so we can spot them quicker.   You can download the app from here.   

NOTE: Beta users who ran 6.2 Beta 4 and do not use English as their primary OS language will NOT be able to upgrade to the final version of 6.2.  Unfortunately there is a bug in Beta 4 that prevents the upgrade process from working for non-English systems.  Please download the final version of 6.2 from the link above after which everything will work fine.   The issue is in the upgrade dialog and not Evernote itself.

Reeeeeeeally want / need to disable the auto-formatting. It doesn't allow for:

1. Space line between numbered entries

2. Sub-categories of a., b., c., etc. (the long-standing use of numbers as subcategories of numbers has never made sense)

Not sure what word processor you're familiar with, but all the ones I've used allow override of automated list formatting (without having to add even more keystrokes by relying on CMD+Z for each and every numbered item).

Love, love, love my EN, but this "shortcut" is a serious pain. If we want the standard EN numbered list, we can still opt into it using the button at the top of any note.

I read that I can do something *text* and then it will be italic
**text** this will be bold
`code` this will be code block

But this doesn't work on the 6.2 on El Capitan, Do I miss something ?

I also took a look at the preferences but couldn't find an option to enable/disable such feature

Could please anyone guide me on how to enable this ?

• Level 5*

I also took a look at the preferences but couldn't find an option to enable/disable such feature

They switched most of that stuff off as it didn't seem to hit the mark. I believe numbered lists and tables still works but the basic text formatting doesn't.

They switched most of that stuff off as it didn't seem to hit the mark. I believe numbered lists and tables still works but the basic text formatting doesn't.

Too bad :( - I was eagerly waiting for the code blocks

Why couldn't we get it with an option maybe to turn it on/off :(

• Level 5*

I guess because they realised that what they implemented didn't work very well. It was really just alternative (and more complex) keyboard shortcuts for text formatting rather than true portable markdown. They may try again at some point.

I received an error when the app can't be updated and you are prompted to download instead. What's downloaded is Evernote_RELEASE_6.1.1_452253 vs. Evernote_RELEASE_6.2_452688. So you get the 'old version' error. FYI.

Hi Lindsey,  Please just download Evernote from here.  We haven't updated the web site yet because we're still making changes so that people with 10.7 or 10.8 get the right version. We think we've got a fix for the update issue but it won't fix it for people until they've already upgraded to 6.2.   Sorry for this inconvenience.  

I really dislike the new auto-formatting, and "just hit Cmd+Z" is not an adequate solution. Users need the ability to completely turn it off. It makes editing notes surprising in bad ways, not to mention that it isn't actually integrated with the OS. It uses non-standard emoticons (the smily face you get with :) is so bright as to be unreadable), and it doesn't use the auto-format convention of showing the suggested word with a blue "X" the user can click to disable it.

Editing notes is noticeably worse now. It sounds even from your original post that you know some subset of users don't like it. Please, please give us the ability to disable it. "We know some of you don't like it, so get used to hitting the Undo shortcut as a part of your basic text workflow" is a real issue.

• Level 5*

I received an error when the app can't be updated and you are prompted to download instead. What's downloaded is Evernote_RELEASE_6.1.1_452253 vs. Evernote_RELEASE_6.2_452688. So you get the 'old version' error. FYI.

Hi Lindsey,  Please just download Evernote from here.  We haven't updated the web site yet because we're still making changes so that people with 10.7 or 10.8 get the right version. We think we've got a fix for the update issue but it won't fix it for people until they've already upgraded to 6.2.   Sorry for this inconvenience.  

Marcus,

This is very confusing.  I think the expectation is that all production (GA) releases are made available from the Evernote Web site.

If it's not ready for all users, then it should, IMO, be kept as a BETA.

To add to the confusion, the 6.2 update shows in the EN Mac app "Check for Updates":

EN-Mac-6.2-Update-Notice.png

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  EN Mac Export to HTML Won't Open in MS Word
EN Mac Ver 6.2
Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) & Yosemite (10.10.5)

This BUG was reported well over a year ago, and is still NOT FIXED.

Seems like this is a key issue for the new common EN Editor for all platforms.

There is a BUG in either the Evernote Export to HTML, or in the HTML Import to MS Word.

To test out the process of moving a Note from Evernote to Word, I did the following:

• Create a simple EN Note by typing.
  • Export this Note to HTML
  • Attempt to Open this HTML file from Word
  • Get Word Error Msg -- cannot open XML file
Has anyone else seen this? 

The BUG seems to be in the Evernote HTML export, because I was able to successfully import into Word a HTML file saved using FireFox of a web page.

I got this error msg:

Word-Error-Msg-Import-HTML.gif

Just installed EN Mac 6.2. (Thanks for telling me about it JMichael.) Bug is still not fixed.

• Level 5*

When the user clicks on a Notebook in the Sidebar, the Note list is filtered for that Notebook, but that NB icon is not highlighted.

This was pointed out many versions ago, but nothing has changed.

I know this decision was made long ago, before SoftwareMarcus was involved with EN Mac, but it still needs to be corrected.

This seems to me, and I think others, to be extremely obvious.  Please make a change to fix this design flaw.

Observed behavior:

When I pick a notebook from the sidebar, the notebook is displayed properly, but the sidebar selection does not change - it stays always on the general "Notes" sidebar item.

Expected bahavior:

When I pick a notebook from the sidebar I want the selection there to change - I want to see the selected notebook highlighted. This way I don't have to guess which notebook is currently selected and where my new notes will go. (I know that I can figure out the current notebook by looking at the middle pane (card/snippet view) and other places on the page, but having the snippet view and the sidebar in sync is very important for the user productivity. The same way as the current folder in the Mac Finder is highlighted - we don't have to guess or look for information.)

Can the described observed behavior be changed? Is there a setting in Evernote that I can use to force highlighting of the currently selected item in the sidebar?

Thank you,

Stefan

Response by Evernote Employee:

Hey there!

I had never noticed this before, and now that it's been brought to my attention I can see how your suggestion would be helpful. I'm going to move this to the Mac Product Feedback forum where our development team will be able to see it.

Thanks for taking the time to submit this!

Hi is is indeed not possible. I also would like full Markdown support in Evernote. It beats me why this is not an option. So many text editors implement it these days. This new list thing is half-baked. Maybe this is helpful, it's not the app itself but a way to sync your Markdown with code-block text into Evernote.

https://marxi.co/

• Along with this is an all new note sharing infrastructure that we believe is a lot more stable and reliable. 

Could someone explain - for a poor Windows user ;-) - what means "all new note sharing infrastructure"? Thank you!

Marcus,

This is very confusing.  I think the expectation is that all production (GA) releases are made available from the Evernote Web site.

If it's not ready for all users, then it should, IMO, be kept as a BETA.

To add to the confusion, the 6.2 update shows in the EN Mac app "Check for Updates":

EN-Mac-6.2-Update-Notice.png

The reason it's not on the website yet is not because 6.2 isn't ready it's because the web site isn't ready.  Since 6.2 only works on 10.9 and above OSs I don't want someone using 10.7 or 10.8 to download it only to find out that they can't run the software.  We have to make updates to the website so that it detect the OS version and then downloads the appropriate version of Evernote for the user's machine.

BUG REPORT:  EN Mac Export to HTML Won't Open in MS Word

EN Mac Ver 6.2

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) & Yosemite (10.10.5)

This BUG was reported well over a year ago, and is still NOT FIXED.

Seems like this is a key issue for the new common EN Editor for all platforms.

There is a BUG in either the Evernote Export to HTML, or in the HTML Import to MS Word.

To test out the process of moving a Note from Evernote to Word, I did the following:

•  
  • Create a simple EN Note by typing.
  • Export this Note to HTML
  • Attempt to Open this HTML file from Word
  • Get Word Error Msg -- cannot open XML file
Has anyone else seen this? 

The BUG seems to be in the Evernote HTML export, because I was able to successfully import into Word a HTML file saved using FireFox of a web page.

I got this error msg:

Word-Error-Msg-Import-HTML.gif

Just installed EN Mac 6.2. (Thanks for telling me about it JMichael.) Bug is still not fixed.

I was originally going to write back that this is a Word issue because they don't read standard HTML (and having worked on Microsoft Office for Mac in a previous life I know this to be true) but I played with this a bit and I think this might be an Evernote issue or at least one we could solve.  It appears that in Evernote's exported HTML file it is adding a line at the top of the HTML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>.  If you delete this line, Word can read the file without issue at least in my test note.  The browsers don't appear to have issues with this line so it might still be the case that Word isn't doing the right thing here but I don't know HTML well enough to say.  In any case, I wanted to post my findings in case some of you want to work around the issue.  Quite honestly this isn't a really high priority for us to change given the real use case we're trying to support is that you can open up these files in a browser but I'll file the ticket and get it on our backlog.

• Along with this is an all new note sharing infrastructure that we believe is a lot more stable and reliable. 

Could someone explain - for a poor Windows user ;-) - what means "all new note sharing infrastructure"? Thank you!

What I'm trying to say here is we've changed the underlying software code used to share notes and notebooks.

What I'm trying to say here is we've changed the underlying software code used to share notes and notebooks.

Thank you for clarification!

2. Sub-categories of a., b., c., etc. (the long-standing use of numbers as subcategories of numbers has never made sense)

Not sure what word processor you're familiar with, but all the ones I've used allow override of automated list formatting (without having to add even more keystrokes by relying on CMD+Z for each and every numbered item).

Thanks for the feedback.  A couple of quick notes:

1.  If you press Shift + Enter while in a numbered list, you can get whitespace between numbers

2.  Sub-categories - you're absolutely right here - this is something we'd like to add in the future

Lost functionality in 6.2 with El Capitan:  Dragging note windows from fullscreen Evernote into other spaces.

I've had a system in place for the last year where I keep EN in fullscreen mode in its own space right next to my desktop.  When I create a new note, I don't edit it in the main app window, I double click it so it makes its own window and then I drag it over to my desktop so that I can see my reference material.

El capitan made that even easier, allowing me to use split view, where my note was in the left third of my screen and my browser was in the rest.

However, with version 6.2, I can no longer drag the note out of the fullscreen evernote and onto my desktop.  It seems the note window has to stay in the same place with the rest of the app.  I've contacted support and it seems it's a design issue.

There is a workaround -- instead of using full screen mode, I have to just create another desktop and put evernote in it.  It works but for the visible menu bar at the top which is hidden in fullscreen mode.  I'd just prefer not to have to use a workaround for a feature that I've come to rely on.

• Level 5*

• Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.
  • Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”). 

Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor. If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it.

Using CMD+Z does not work exactly as expected.

If I want two spaces after the number, and I press "CMD+Z", and then press "SPACE", it re-converts the line to a list.

How do I get a "1." and two spaces without converting to a list?

Again, I don't really see the added value of the new "text-editing shortcuts" when we already have "CMD+SHIFT+O" and "CMD+SHIFT+U" to create a numbered and bulleted list, respectively.

Everytime I type a "1. " or a "* " I don't necessarily want to start a list.

How can I disable the auto-format !? So useless and breaks my format.

There currently isn't a way to disable the auto-format of numbered and bulleted lists... how is it breaking your formatting?

I used to write my own lists with '* ' at the beginning.

Now with 6.2 i do have to find another placeholder for my own lists or hit CMD-Z on every line :-(

This is very annoying and i really don't see any benefit!

I want to get rid of this "Auto-formatting" as it is getting into the way.

+1 for removing "Auto-formatting" or at least being able to disable

• Level 5*

@PeeJayTee and @SoftwareMarcus:

I give you guys A+ for intentions.  Lots of folks would really like for Evernote to support Markdown.

May I suggest this:  The best way Evernote could support Markdown is to provide a plain text section which would be just that, plain text, and NOT apply or allow any rich text formatting.

I think a lot of people would like to enter Markdown text in Evernote so that they could later use the Markdown snippents to copy/paste into apps and web sites that will use, and maintain, Markdown code and then produce the HTML rich text formatted output.

This plain text Evernote section could also be used for storing code snippets.  So, you could kill two birds with one stone...

But let me remind you of this:  I think that the large majority of Evernote users have never heard of "Markdown", and have no use for "Code Snippets".

So, your first objective, IMO, is to NOT confuse these users.  Provide them with great support of Rich Text, which they expect.

If you can provide a plain text section, totally optional to all users, that can be rendered as HTML Rich Text, or as code blocks with syntax color coding, then that would be terrific.

IOW, provide a "plain text section" that when created would allow the user to specify it should be rendered as "Markup HTML RichText", or as color-coded syntax for a selected standard language.  When *viewing* the Note would show the rendered block. When "editing" the Note would be shown as plain text.

@PeeJayTee and @SoftwareMarcus:

I give you guys A+ for intentions.  Lots of folks would really like for Evernote to support Markdown.

May I suggest this:  The best way Evernote could support Markdown is to provide a plain text section which would be just that, plain text, and NOT apply or allow any rich text formatting.

I think a lot of people would like to enter Markdown text in Evernote so that they could later use the Markdown snippents to copy/paste into apps and web sites that will use, and maintain, Markdown code and then produce the HTML rich text formatted output.

This plain text Evernote section could also be used for storing code snippets.  So, you could kill two birds with one stone...

But let me remind you of this:  I think that the large majority of Evernote users have never heard of "Markdown", and have no use for "Code Snippets".

So, your first objective, IMO, is to NOT confuse these users.  Provide them with great support of Rich Text, which they expect.

If you can provide a plain text section, totally optional to all users, that can be rendered as HTML Rich Text, or as code blocks with syntax color coding, then that would be terrific.

IOW, provide a "plain text section" that when created would allow the user to specify it should be rendered as "Markup HTML RichText", or as color-coded syntax for a selected standard language.  When *viewing* the Note would show the rendered block. When "editing" the Note would be shown as plain text.

It's true that most people don't know or use Markdown, but is it so hard to implement a switch in settings to turn it on? Apps like Desk give you the option to either work WYSIWYG or use Markdown. I think that's would be great.

Found a fairly niche problem with numbered bullets whilst presenting (related to new formatting option).  I created a numbered list with the new method, but there was space in between the bullets.  So I had three bullets which I manually made numerically sequential 1. 2. 3..  That's a great feature of the new formatting option.  But the numbers display as 1. 1. 1. when the note is presented.

Screenshot 1: the note editor.

screenshot.png?resizeSmall&width=416

Screenshot 2: the presented note.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2012.14.

• Level 5*

My 2¢ on the markdown/formatting.

Either fully support markdown at https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntaxor don't.

And for any quick formatting (like the 1. stuff) provide a simple toggle in the menu to enable/disable this. I can see where it can be useful, and I will use it more often than not, and appreciate it, but I can also see the frustration it is causing others. And pay attention to what others have done here. Like it or not, Word is the industry standard here, and it supports the following:

• 1. (EN supports)
  • * (EN supports)
  • 1) (EN doesn't support)
  • A. (EN doesn't support)
  • A) (EN doesn't support)
  • a. (EN doesn't support)
  • a)  (EN doesn't support)
  • I. (EN doesn't support) - roman numeral bullets
  • I) (EN doesn't support) - roman numeral bullets

There may be others, but a quick overview shows EN supports just 22% of the quick formatting for lists, and if there are others Word supports, that 22% goes down quickly. Again, either fully support how people and other software use this stuff, or don't. Implementing such a limited subset of ways to start a list is just infuriating as it appears that some things work, others don't, and there is no rhyme or reason for what does and doesn't.

Even though I like the idea of the automatic formatting, I'd prefer it be turned off overall so I can stop guessing when a list will start and when it won't.

Please stop forcing changes that impact how people work.

"

• Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to geta numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor.  If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it."

This is a BAD idea!  It completely disrupts my style of note taking.  If I want a list, that feature was already available in EN.  For my "Daily Log" sheet, I do not want an automatic list created.  Hitting CMD-Z undoes the last action, but as soon as I type "1." again, it indents and starts a list again.

PLEASE give us the option of turning that feature off.  As a Premier user, this can be a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks,

Marty O. Wynn

Columbus, GA

Smushing the sidebar closed is really nice but we lose our shortcuts. It would be nice if there was a shortcuts icon and clicking it popped out a box with our shortcuts.

Thanks for this feedback.  I'm waiting to hear from customers like yourself as to how useful they find the mini-toolbar.  Would some like to run the toolbar in shrunken mode all the time?   You can do this by the way by simply shrinking the sidebar width.  We'll remember the size.  If you'd like to run in this mini-sidebar mode, what features would you need to make it useful.  I hear a vote for shortcuts.  What about recent notes, notebooks and tags?  

"

• Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to geta numbered list. (“1. ”).  I know some of you have already expressed that you don’t like this capability but we do believe many will like the way this works and will appreciate that it’s much more like a word processor.  If we auto-format the text just hit CMD+Z to undo it."

This is a BAD idea!  It completely disrupts my style of note taking.  If I want a list, that feature was already available in EN.  For my "Daily Log" sheet, I do not want an automatic list created.  Hitting CMD-Z undoes the last action, but as soon as I type "1." again, it indents and starts a list again.

PLEASE give us the option of turning that feature off.  As a Premier user, this can be a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks to you and everyone else in this forum for the feedback on the auto-formatting feature.  We're trying to do a better job of keeping things simple and not creating a preference for every little thing.   However, listening to everyone in this forum's desire to turn off this feature makes me think this one probably deserves a preference item.  I just wanted to let you and everyone else know we're investigating it.

• Level 5*

No feature is better than a half baked feature IMHO.

If you are going to do Markdown then do it properly, if you aren't going to do it properly then get rid of the bits you have so far kept. Doesn't seem like that they are useful, work well or are particularly loved. Getting rid of them is easier than adding a preference.

Smushing the sidebar closed is really nice but we lose our shortcuts. It would be nice if there was a shortcuts icon and clicking it popped out a box with our shortcuts.

Thanks for this feedback.  I'm waiting to hear from customers like yourself as to how useful they find the mini-toolbar.  Would some like to run the toolbar in shrunken mode all the time?   You can do this by the way by simply shrinking the sidebar width.  We'll remember the size.  If you'd like to run in this mini-sidebar mode, what features would you need to make it useful.  I hear a vote for shortcuts.  What about recent notes, notebooks and tags?  

"

Thanks to you and everyone else in this forum for the feedback on the auto-formatting feature.  We're trying to do a better job of keeping things simple and not creating a preference for every little thing.   However, listening to everyone in this forum's desire to turn off this feature makes me think this one probably deserves a preference item.  I just wanted to let you and everyone else know we're investigating it.

Thank you for listening.  EN is a great productivity and information management tool.  I proclaim its value to many and encourage them to sign up for the Premier version.  However, the auto-list function should be able to be toggled on and off.  As another poster stated, there are times when it is useful, but not at all times.  For most of my usage, it is an unwanted distraction.

Thanks.

If you are going to do Markdown then do it properly, if you aren't going to do it properly then get rid of the bits you have so far kept. Doesn't seem like that they are useful, work well or are particularly loved. Getting rid of them is easier than adding a preference.

Bulleted and numbered list auto-formatting is standard in most word processors.  This is how MS Word, Google Docs and Apple Pages work so this isn't a half-baked mark down feature but base line functionality that most people expect.  The word processors also make this an option so it makes sense that we do the same.  I'll keep everyone posted on our investigation.

Thank you very, very much for this update, Marcus. I think a happy medium would be to create a preference, and default it to on. Then people who like the feature have the same experience they already have: they update the app and it keeps working how it does now. And folks like us in the thread who find it disruptive enough to make noise about it certainly have the time to turn off a checkbox. :)

Hi,

FWIW: I love the new auto-formatting. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for this!

One observation: it seems that it does not yet work inside tables. When I type a * inside a table cell, it doesn't create a bullet.

cheers

+1 for the option to nuke, or at least make optional, the auto-formatting.

My workflow has been to do NO formatting in EN at all, instead using a "markdown-like" plain text approach. I have literally a GB of notes like this. If I need formatting I use another tool, generally (because EN Is not really full-featured for well-formatted copy).

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Source URL Link is Not Displayed in Main Note View

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Actually I don't know if this is a bug or a design change, but starting with EN Mac 6.2 the Source URL link is no longer displayed on the main Note view.

IMO, this is a HUGE step backwards.

I always need to see, know, and be able to quickly click on the web page link that the Note was created from.

There is plenty of room at the top of the Note where the Note dates are displayed to show the URL.

Please restore this ASAP.  Make sure it is a click-able link.

EN-Mac-6.2-Source-URL-Not-Shown.png

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

Actually I don't know if this is a bug or a design change, but starting with EN Mac 6.2 the Source URL link is no longer displayed on the main Note view.

I always need to see, know, and be able to quickly click on the web page link that the Note was created from.

There is plenty of room at the top of the Note where the Note dates are displayed to show the URL.

I agree, missing this too. I loved the ability to quickly go back to the source. I understand that you want a clean interface, but please also make this an option then.

1.  If you press Shift + Enter while in a numbered list, you can get whitespace between numbers

Not quite. Per your suggestion above, it requires: 

Shift + Enter,   Shift + Enter,   Enter

to get

1. First numbered line of text

2. Then a second numbered line, with a space between them

Five keystrokes to achieve what used to take only a simple "Enter" in non-fortmatting lists. No offense, but this is kinda-sorta ridiculous.

Thanks so very, very much, Marcus (and the rest of the EN team). Making this a preference would be a huge salvation.

(As for the "mini-sidebar" thing.... Not sure what that is, but am glad not to have seen it, given how often I rely on sidebar items throughout the day.)

Lost functionality in 6.2 with El Capitan:  Dragging note windows from fullscreen Evernote into other spaces.

I've had a system in place for the last year where I keep EN in fullscreen mode in its own space right next to my desktop.  When I create a new note, I don't edit it in the main app window, I double click it so it makes its own window and then I drag it over to my desktop so that I can see my reference material.

El capitan made that even easier, allowing me to use split view, where my note was in the left third of my screen and my browser was in the rest.

However, with version 6.2, I can no longer drag the note out of the fullscreen evernote and onto my desktop.  It seems the note window has to stay in the same place with the rest of the app.  I've contacted support and it seems it's a design issue.

There is a workaround -- instead of using full screen mode, I have to just create another desktop and put evernote in it.  It works but for the visible menu bar at the top which is hidden in fullscreen mode.  I'd just prefer not to have to use a workaround for a feature that I've come to rely on.

That's a real pity, I drag windows onto main desktop too.  Now have to click fullscreen on the note and then exit full screen.  Dragging the window onto desktop used to work really well.

Found a fairly niche problem with numbered bullets whilst presenting (related to new formatting option).  I created a numbered list with the new method, but there was space in between the bullets.  So I had three bullets which I manually made numerically sequential 1. 2. 3..  That's a great feature of the new formatting option.  But the numbers display as 1. 1. 1. when the note is presented.

I'm not able to reproduce this.  Does anyone else see this same issue?  I'll contact you directly to see if I can get a sample.

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

I just tried to reproduce this and was able to do this once after switching versions but resizing the window fixed it for me.  Do you remember the steps you took to get into this state?  Is it permanent or does rebooting the app fix the issue?  Is the issue still there even after resizing the window?  I'm using El Cap but it looks like you're using Yosemite so maybe this is an OS issue.  For others seeing the problem are you using Yosemite?  

I should also add that this is a bug and not a design decision.

Hi @SoftwareMarcus,

I quickly tested it on my El Capitan setup but I still have the problem. The URL isn't there when I start in normal mode. If I go into full screen mode and then back to normal mode it comes back. Sometimes I need to resize the window. Hope this helps.

Jan

I'm not able to reproduce this.  Does anyone else see this same issue?  I'll contact you directly to see if I can get a sample.

I will respond to the private message.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a numbered bullet with "1. "

2. Do not continue the numbered list.  Instead add some white space, return key (not line breaks i.e. shift+return).  Works with or without text and other stuff between bullets.  

3. Create the next bullet with "2. "

etc

Note editor correctly shows "1. 2. " etc.  Presented note shows "1. 1. " etc

Tried with new note, same result.

I will respond to the private message.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a numbered bullet with "1. "

2. Do not continue the numbered list.  Instead add some white space, return key (not line breaks i.e. shift+return).  Works with or without text and other stuff between bullets.  

3. Create the next bullet with "2. "

etc

Note editor correctly shows "1. 2. " etc.  Presented note shows "1. 1. " etc

Tried with new note, same result.

I'm seeing this same behavior;  Using Version 6.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.1 

• Level 5*

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

. . .

I just tried to reproduce this and was able to do this once after switching versions but resizing the window fixed it for me.  Do you remember the steps you took to get into this state?  Is it permanent or does rebooting the app fix the issue?  Is the issue still there even after resizing the window?  I'm using El Cap but it looks like you're using Yosemite so maybe this is an OS issue.  For others seeing the problem are you using Yosemite?  

Marcus, thanks for the quick reply.

Restarting Evernote.app did not fix this issue.  I have actually done this many times over several days.

However, resizing the main EN window did cause the URL to appear.  But I have not tested/used EN Mac long enough since this to confirm that the URL is back for good.  Perhaps you should update your OP (and Release Notes) to advise users they need to resize the EN window.

One request:  It would be helpful if the URL was displayed in a color, like blue, which is the std color for hyperlinks.

• Level 5*

However, resizing the main EN window did cause the URL to appear.  But I have not tested/used EN Mac long enough since this to confirm that the URL is back for good.

OK, I think I have finally identified a repeatable process that causes the Source URL to disappear:

• Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Go to Note with a URL and make sure it is showing
  • Go to a Note without a URL
  • Show the Left Sidebar
  • Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Go to Note with URL
  • Observe that the URL does NOT show, even if you show/hide the Left Sidebar

Please make the new number/list formatting an "on/off" option in the preferences panel.   Silly to have to continually undo what's automated.  Very distractive to the writing process.  Thank you.

2.  Sub-categories - you're absolutely right here - this is something we'd like to add in the future

Two questions

1. How do I turn off the "(notebook owner)" on shared notebook? 
  2. Why is "Notes" in the sidebar highlighted when I select a specific notebook, shouldn't the notebook be highlighted instead? Now there is no difference in the sidebar between selecting all notes or a specific notebook.
  • Level 5*

There is an issue in 6.2 when selecting tags with the mouse. If I select the tag by typing a few characters, then moving the cursor down with the keypad and pressing enter, it works fine.

If I select a few characters though, the scroll through with the mouse/touchpad, then single tap on a tag, it merely selects it. Double-clicking does select it and put it in the tag area, but it still isn't finished. It is just a word not in the light blue/gray box. I still have to press Enter to get it to accept the tag.

At the very least, double-clicking it should fully accept it.

• Level 5*

EN Mac Ver 6.2 (NEW Bug)

For me, URLs don't show up in the header if the note is in the main EN window (list view.) They only show up if I open the note in a new window.

Nice upgrade!  I am thoroughly pleased that Evernote was willing to compromise on features based on user feedback during the beta series.

Number/Asterisks lists are a welcome addition, and are indeed a common-place feature found in other text editors.  There is a slight delay when the asterisk space becomes a bullet—feels choppy, albeit subtly.  Would like to see the dash "-" added as a trigger for lists (see the native Notes app on El Capitan as an example).  In my use, ⇧8 <space> is not much of a time-savings, if any, over the existing ⇧⌘U shortcut (although this is more about keeping a train of thought uninterrupted than it is about time savings).  A dash <space> flows quickly and ergonomically.

The new condensed side bar looks great.  Very happy to see work chat demoted (not-so-silently hoping for complete removal, or perhaps repurposing/rebranding—"activity log"?).  Snippet view is buggy in full-screen mode (El Capitan) when switching to/from Evernote.

The solid white background in the note pane feels clean and professional—definitely an improvement over the compartmentalized design from previous versions.

All in all, glad to see that Evernote is focused on note-taking again!  6.2 is an important step forward in that regard.

Wish list for 6.3

• Dash space trigger for lists
  • Ability to send notes as an email via share button (this used to exist, then was buried under "More Sharing")
  • Performance improvements—current note editing feels choppy

However, resizing the main EN window did cause the URL to appear.  But I have not tested/used EN Mac long enough since this to confirm that the URL is back for good.

OK, I think I have finally identified a repeatable process that causes the Source URL to disappear:

• Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Show the Left Sidebar
  • Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Go to Note with URL

Thanks for the detailed repro steps.  One of our developers fixed the bug today.  This will be fixed in the next beta.  I should also point out that the URL is saved with the note but we have code to hide things as you shrink the window and in this particular case it's being too aggressive and hiding it without even shrinking the window. 

Two questions

1. How do I turn off the "(notebook owner)" on shared notebook? 
  2. Why is "Notes" in the sidebar highlighted when I select a specific notebook, shouldn't the notebook be highlighted instead? Now there is no difference in the sidebar between selecting all notes or a specific notebook.

The (notebook owner) issue is a bug.  It should only appear for shared notebooks that have the exact same name.  This is already fixed internally and will be in the 6.3 beta.

In regards to notebooks not being selected in the sidebar, this has been the design since version 5.x so it's not a bug but I fully understand why many think it is.  Unfortunately since this is the design it's not an easy change to make and will take time.  We basically have to rewrite the sidebar but the good news is we've been rewriting parts of it as we make changes like the mini-sidebar and other things so we're making progress.

There is an issue in 6.2 when selecting tags with the mouse. If I select the tag by typing a few characters, then moving the cursor down with the keypad and pressing enter, it works fine.

If I select a few characters though, the scroll through with the mouse/touchpad, then single tap on a tag, it merely selects it. Double-clicking does select it and put it in the tag area, but it still isn't finished. It is just a word not in the light blue/gray box. I still have to press Enter to get it to accept the tag.

At the very least, double-clicking it should fully accept it.

Ugh.  Yup.  That's a bug.  Thanks for reporting it.

In regards to notebooks not being selected in the sidebar, this has been the design since version 5.x so it's not a bug but I fully understand why many think it is.  Unfortunately since this is the design it's not an easy change to make and will take time.  We basically have to rewrite the sidebar but the good news is we've been rewriting parts of it as we make changes like the mini-sidebar and other things so we're making progress.

That is a very odd design choice. It's difficult to think of a case where "The side bar shouldn't highlight the thing that's actually selected" is desirable. What's the point of highlighting anything, then? No feedback is better than inaccurate feedback.

• Level 5*

I agree with the below.  The new so-called shortcuts for a horizontal line are more of a pain than a help.

What's wrong with just using the single shortcut CMD-SHIFT-H ???

In the latest Evernote Mac version (6.2), strings of '---', '===' and '***' are turned into horizontal rules. I find this often isn't what I want: I use strings of these characters (especially dashes) frequently in my notes, to visually delimit sections that aren't quite as separate as what I delimit using horizontal rules. Given that it's already easy to add a horizontal rule with a keyboard shortcut (cmd-shift-H), it seems unnecessary to have Evernote turn these characters into Horizontal Rules for you. At the very least, could you provide an option to disable this automatic conversion?

• Level 5*

Selected NB in Sidebar Does Not Maintain Highlight

It is indeed a very odd design choice.  I don't know any other app, Mac or Windows, that behaves like this.

It is a very obvious UI flaw that just jumps out at you.  I really wonder how stuff like this passes *any* form of usability testing.   Maybe there isn't any.   :(

But, as Marcus says, that happened before his time.  We can only hope he and his team have better design judgements, and have better usability testing.

I would much prefer that you guys put your scarce resources into fixing this design flaw (and other bugs), than in trying to add stuff like the new shortcuts for lists and horizontal lines.

That is a very odd design choice. It's difficult to think of a case where "The side bar shouldn't highlight the thing that's actually selected" is desirable. What's the point of highlighting anything, then? No feedback is better than inaccurate feedback.

Shouldn't double-clicking on a PDF open it in Preview? The current build just highlights it in a big blue aurora. I have to right-click it to open.

I just tried this and preview appears for me when double clicking the Evernote header for the PDF.  It doesn't open when clicking the inline preview of the PDF.

We released Mac 6.2.1 to the Mac App Store yesterday.  What's the difference between 6.2 and 6.2.1?  We found an issue with the Safari Share Extension in that it doesn't work reliably when trying to web clip a page on El Capitan so we disabled it on the Mac App Store version.  We still recommend using the Evernote Web Clipper over the share extension so you won't lose web clipping capability and in fact you'll get better capabilities with the web clipper.

• Level 5*

Shouldn't double-clicking on a PDF open it in Preview? The current build just highlights it in a big blue aurora. I have to right-click it to open.

I just tried this and preview appears for me when double clicking the Evernote header for the PDF.  It doesn't open when clicking the inline preview of the PDF.

Yes, the inline preview. It opens on the WIndows client. Shouldn't it open on the Mac rather than just turning blue?

• Level 5*

In EN Mac 6.1, double-clicking open the PDF in the default app for PDF files.  I really like this and hope it doesn't change.

A single-click on the eye icon ( in the PDF header open it in preview mode (not the same as Preview.app).  Also really great.

I'll check this on my Mac with EN 6.2 a little later today.

Bug Report: Spelling corrections in Note are not beeing saved correctly

Reproduce the Bug:

* Auto correction is disabled

* type "overveiw"

* right-click on the word to get spelling suggestions

* select the correct spelling "overview"

* save the Note (Cmd-S)

* Note shows the correct spelling

* now change to another note and then back to the initial Note

⇒ Note shows the previous "overveiw" instead of the corrected "overview"

EN Mac 6.2, OS X 10.11.1, on two different Macbooks (Air + Pro)

BUG REPORT: Reminders do not save in the sequence specified.

This only happens intermittently when there are several reminders but it incredibly frustrating (I'm trying to sort my reminders in the order I need to do complete each one).

REPRO STEPS

1. In a notebook, create several notes with reminders.

2. In the reminders list settings, disable "Sort Reminders by Date"

3. Create a new reminder.

4. Slot the reminder into a specific position in the list.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until a reminder slots into a different position than you intended.

Note: sometimes the reminder will update to the correct position when you click out of the notebook and back. Often, however, it does not and it can take a dozen attempts of shuffling the order around until a reminder saves into the intended position.

Bulleted and numbered list auto-formatting is standard in most word processors.  This is how MS Word, Google Docs and Apple Pages work so this isn't a half-baked mark down feature but base line functionality that most people expect.  The word processors also make this an option so it makes sense that we do the same.  I'll keep everyone posted on our investigation.

You got it right with "auto-formatting is standard in most word processors" _and_ "The word processors also make this an option." Desperately waiting for EN to have this as an option.

Also, still want the notebook selected to be indicated in the sidebar. A few versions back, someone from the EN team indicated that EN was supposed to be following the display model of Apple's Mail app, but Mail has properly highlighted the correct inbox/outbox since the beginning.

Since when Evernote has become another "Adobe"?

Now that you have users like me hooked on your platform, so it's time for you become presumptuous to just "know" that every users likes/wants/uses text-editing shortcuts?  Does this automatically justify your forceful implementation of the new text-editing shortcuts "feature" down all users' throat without giving us an option to turn it off?

This reminds me of Adobe's recent decision to remove basic functionalities from Photoshop Lightroom's import dialog, calling it "evolution" and having the audacity to say "most users want this." The backlash was so severe that Adobe had to bring back the old interface in the most recent release but it left a really bitter taste in all the users' mouth.

Is this the same path that Evernote wants to head down? The responses from staff are like: "other apps have this", "we think it's a good feature so we will just force you to live with it" or "only a small percentage of people are having issues."

Good job, Evernote. I have been your user/supporter since the very early days. What you have done here and your follow-up self-justification have for the first time in history made me start looking for alternatives. I refuse to support arrogant developers like this, especially given the resources at your disposal. Worse, you're not even acknowledging users with existing established workflows. Does doing this make you feel more superior?

The 6.2 release notes should have added:

"Type a number then a period and I get hit with your complete disregard for loyalty and workflows. Bam. I'm outta here."

Please make the new number/list formatting an "on/off" option in the preferences panel.   Silly to have to continually undo what's automated.  Very distractive to the writing process.  Thank you.

You are more polite than me in actually drafting a request. But given the responses that I've observed so far, it seems Evernote has already made up their mind this is a superior feature that doesn't need an on/off option.

+1 on removing the forced auto formatting. It really disrupts my work flow and could potentially be a deal breaker for me. 

At least Adobe issued a public apology in the end, after they forced whole bunch of new Lightroom features down users throat that created a backlash. But will Evernote be brave to do this or continue to blame the "minority" users for not knowing how to "save time" with their new superior "shortcuts"?

Yes, please enable us to turn off auto formatting. It's slowed me down incredibly as I don't use formatted number lists in any of my notes and now have to undo all the time (for multiple reasons, but also because they never translate right on all the configs i use evernote on, unlike plain text). It's starting to feel like using word, which isn't a compliment. 

• Level 5*

Cmd-Z works to stop text shortcuts. Also, there is a preference in the formatting tab of the preferences.

There might be one coming, but there isn't in 6.2

2UnYXuu.png

Edit: And I've uploaded a screenshot you can see from the moon to prove it.

• Level 5*

@Marcus,

Since you guys are experimenting with the layout of EN Mac, may I suggest that you consider an auto-expanding Left Sidebar.

For an example, see IQTell.com.

IMO, this is the best of all worlds.  Doesn't use any screen space until you need it.  Then, just a mouse-over on the left causes the sidebar to appear, and you can make your selection.  I then hids automatically.

When I get time, I'll post a brief video.

BTW, this is a very old idea/technology.  I remember Microsoft using it with their script editor back in the mid 1990s.

They have also used it in their latest Visual .net IDE editor.  A great idea then, and still is.  I hope you guys don't have the NIH complex.   ;)

EDIT:  OK, here's the video (animated GIF):

IQTell-AutoExpand-Sidebar.gif

An auto-expanding side-bar is nice as long as it is an option that can be disabled. Instead of focussing on random features, however, it would be much appreciated if the bugs in basic functionality were addressed first.

The reminder list, for example:

- Reminders slot into the wrong position very frequently (and are difficult to move into the correct position - they keep popping into the wrong slot)

- At random, after typing a few characters of a reminder (using the "+" in the reminder list), the focus jumps out of the field and the reminder is saved with only a few characters

- The reminder list often doesn't update after a reminder has been moved (until you change notebooks and go back)

• Level 5*

An auto-expanding side-bar is nice as long as it is an option that can be disabled. 

I'm not sure I understand your concern here.  If you never mouse-over the small area on the left of the layout, the sidebar never appears, and there is no interference.  Of course there should be an option to always display the Sidebar.  So, I'm good with Sidebar display options of "Show", "Hide", "Auto-Expand".

If you've never used an app with this feature, it may be hard to realize how useful, how powerful, it is.

• Level 5*

An auto-expanding side-bar is nice as long as it is an option that can be disabled. 

I'm not sure I understand your concern here.  If you never mouse-over the small area on the left of the layout, the sidebar never appears, and there is no interference.  Of course there should be an option to always display the Sidebar.  So, I'm good with Sidebar display options of "Show", "Hide", "Auto-Expand".

If you've never used an app with this feature, it may be hard to realize how useful, how powerful, it is.

Or how annoying it is. I hate when my cursor drifts over anything and something bolts out messing up what I was doing. I either want the sidebar/toolbar/ribbon/whatever it is showing, or I don't. I don't want it to fly around just because my mouse crosses over it on the way to somewhere else.

• Level 5*

Or how annoying it is. I hate when my cursor drifts over anything and something bolts out messing up what I was doing. I either want the sidebar/toolbar/ribbon/whatever it is showing, or I don't. I don't want it to fly around just because my mouse crosses over it on the way to somewhere else.

Then I'd guess that you'd be OK with my suggestion:

So, I'm good with Sidebar display options of "Show", "Hide", "Auto-Expand".

But really, I don't see how a very brief display on the extreme left of the layout could really mess up what you're doing.

Properly designed, the auto-expansion would only show if you pause your mouse over the designated area.  If you're just moving through the area then nothing would happen.

But I get what you're saying.  There are far too many web sites today to show far too many popups.  I too would not want Evernote Mac to become like that.

For me, most of the time I don't need to see the left Sidebar.  It would be very convenient when I do if all I needed to do is mouse-over a small vertical area on the extreme left to show the Sidebar.  Then I could click on the NB, Tag, or whatever, and the Sidebar then disappears.

I've just upgraded to the latest V6.2  Big mistake since it is impossible to revert to the last of the 5.x series.

Regarding the UI the best I can say is that it's not quite as bad as the early v6, but why do Evernote have to slavishly adopt Apple's design conventions in their entirety?  No matter how you tweak it, grey text on a grey background is difficult to read especially with the system font that Ive has decreed should be used. 

Whilst I like Evernote I'm reluctantly looking at how to get notes out of Evernote and into something else, since reading them is becoming tiring on my eyes.  It's not simply Evernote the whole Mac UI 'flat look' is making me evaluate Windows or possibly Linux as alternatives.  The export options appear limited unless there are any scripts anywhere that offer different formats for bulk export.

Anyone any ideas?

• Level 5*

Then I'd guess that you'd be OK with my suggestion:

So, I'm good with Sidebar display options of "Show", "Hide", "Auto-Expand".

But really, I don't see how a very brief display on the extreme left of the layout could really mess up what you're doing.

Properly designed, the auto-expansion would only show if you pause your mouse over the designated area.  If you're just moving through the area then nothing would happen.

But I get what you're saying.  There are far too many web sites today to show far too many popups.  I too would not want Evernote Mac to become like that.

For me, most of the time I don't need to see the left Sidebar.  It would be very convenient when I do if all I needed to do is mouse-over a small vertical area on the extreme left to show the Sidebar.  Then I could click on the NB, Tag, or whatever, and the Sidebar then disappears.

If it is optional I don't care, but I still don't like the function. You say "pause" over the area. What does that mean? 0.25 seconds? 1 second, 0.5 seconds? I don't like my UI to be dynamic. I don't like apps that have menus that automatically fly open when you "pause" over them, even if you want to because then when your mouse strays off a bit, they vanish.

I use the sidebar all of the time, especially to drag notes. I'd rather blow my brains out than have to drag/pause/pray i am pausing in the right area and I don't drop the documents/scroll with my eyes furrowed trying to stay in the lines so the sidebar doesn't vanish just to move notes.

• Level 5*

I've just upgraded to the latest V6.2  Big mistake since it is impossible to revert to the last of the 5.x series.

Regarding the UI the best I can say is that it's not quite as bad as the early v6, but why do Evernote have to slavishly adopt Apple's design conventions in their entirety?  No matter how you tweak it, grey text on a grey background is difficult to read especially with the system font that Ive has decreed should be used. 

Whilst I like Evernote I'm reluctantly looking at how to get notes out of Evernote and into something else, since reading them is becoming tiring on my eyes.  It's not simply Evernote the whole Mac UI 'flat look' is making me evaluate Windows or possibly Linux as alternatives.  The export options appear limited unless there are any scripts anywhere that offer different formats for bulk export.

Anyone any ideas?

You can revert. You just need to uninstall, make sure your database is wiped (this assumes 100% of your notes were sync'd and you didn't have offline notebooks), and install 5 then wait for it to pull your stuff back down. Your database can be found by selecting Evernote|About Evernote from the menu, press the option key, then click the database link that shows up.

Backup twice just to be safe, but I've done this a gazillion times over the last few years when a beta went awry or my db got corrupt.

As much as I LOVE to hate evernote, there is nothing like it. I use OneNote at work but it is used very differently and I'd absolutely hate it for what I use Evernote for. OneNote is a simpler version of Word that uses pages instead of file names.

Problem: EN hangs when started and the spinning beach ball never stops.  It is not possible to use EN (last couple of days)  

EN version installed Evernote_RELEASE_6.2_452688; downloaded from the EN website 

My Machine:  OSX El Capitan 10.11.1, MBP, Mid 2015 release

My EN Account:  free; I am currently trialling EN as a replacement for OneNote (been using ON from its start)

In order to resolve the "hanging application", I have tried uninstalling 6.2 and re-installing the prior version I had Evernote_RELEASE_6.1.1_452253. The re-installing went fine but when I ran 6.1, an EN message appeared stating that I had to use the current version.  I then uninstalled 6.1 and reinstalled 6.2, but the problem persists - the application hangs and must be forced to shut down.  

I also attempted a recovery from a Time Machine backup, but this failed.  When the restored version of EN was ran, a message requesting the newer version was presented. Perhaps some instructions for backup and recovery is needed.

I found this very disturbing that I couldn't go back to a previous version that worked.  It concerns me how portable EN data files are from version to version; This will impact backup and recovery strategies.

In other forum conversations regarding uninstalling, reinstalling and upgrading, some said that the spinning beach ball was an indicator that EN needs to "reindex" notebooks and this may take all day.  This doesn't make sense. 

It would be helpful to have some clarification what may be causing EN to hang and also how EN versioning works.  

Given the hanging behaviour, I cannot use EN at all and cannot access any of my local notebooks.  Given statements from other posts, I am concerned that I have lost access to all my local notebooks.  I am hoping this isn't the case.  Please advise.

I'm a big fan of Evernote & use it a lot. I also would like to see an option to disable auto-format. I find it gets in a way with how I use the editor. Cmd + Z is obtrusive, and takes the pleasure out of writing with Evernote. Please add the option to disable the auto-format. Thank you.

Problem: EN hangs when started and the spinning beach ball never stops.  It is not possible to use EN (last couple of days)  

EN version installed Evernote_RELEASE_6.2_452688; downloaded from the EN website 

My EN Account:  free; I am currently trialling EN as a replacement for OneNote (been using ON from its start)

In order to resolve the "hanging application", I have tried uninstalling 6.2 and re-installing the prior version I had Evernote_RELEASE_6.1.1_452253. The re-installing went fine but when I ran 6.1, an EN message appeared stating that I had to use the current version.  I then uninstalled 6.1 and reinstalled 6.2, but the problem persists - the application hangs and must be forced to shut down.  

I also attempted a recovery from a Time Machine backup, but this failed.  When the restored version of EN was ran, a message requesting the newer version was presented. Perhaps some instructions for backup and recovery is needed.

I found this very disturbing that I couldn't go back to a previous version that worked.  It concerns me how portable EN data files are from version to version; This will impact backup and recovery strategies.

In other forum conversations regarding uninstalling, reinstalling and upgrading, some said that the spinning beach ball was an indicator that EN needs to "reindex" notebooks and this may take all day.  This doesn't make sense. 

It would be helpful to have some clarification what may be causing EN to hang and also how EN versioning works.  

Given the hanging behaviour, I cannot use EN at all and cannot access any of my local notebooks.  Given statements from other posts, I am concerned that I have lost access to all my local notebooks.  I am hoping this isn't the case.  Please advise.

Are you using Apple's new OS El Capitan?  A small number of people are running into a hang when using any versions of Evernote so going back to a previous version probably wouldn't help.  We believe it's a weird font incompatibility introduced by El Cap.  For some it just goes away over time after a few reboots of the machine.  If this hasn't worked and it sounds like it hasn't then I would recommend deleting your Evernote prefs.  

1) Go to Terminal.

2) Type "defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote"  (without the double quotes).

3) Relaunch Evernote.

This has worked for a number of people.  These are the hardest issues for us to track down and fix because only a few people run into it and we can't replicate it in house and don't know why they only some are seeing it.  In any case, let me know if that doesn't work and I can try to help you further. 

The new condensed side bar looks great.  Very happy to see work chat demoted (not-so-silently hoping for complete removal, or perhaps repurposing/rebranding—"activity log"?).  Snippet view is buggy in full-screen mode (El Capitan) when switching to/from Evernote.

Agreed that Work Chat is not an all purpose sharing option as it only works with other Evernote users.  But where the other person/people I want to share a note with are Evernote users Work Chat is my "go to" option for sharing.  So I want Work Chat to stay firmly in existence now that it exists.  I agree that other sharing options (e.g. email and public link sharing) should not be relegated to a sub menu.

• Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Show the Left Sidebar
  • Hide the Left Sidebar
  • Go to Note with URL

Just tried this, when the sidebar is visible the URL does not show.  But when I hid the sidebar again the URL reappeared.  However only the first 4 characters are shown (unless it's a really short URL).

@JMichael, when you moved the mouse over the sidebar without stopping the sidebar appeared.  So it's not a case of having to pause over the sidebar.  I therefore agree with @Neil Rutledge that I would be happy to see it in Evernote if it could be disabled.  I find auto hiding and auto appearing panels a real pain.

Anyone any ideas?

You can revert. You just need to uninstall, make sure your database is wiped (this assumes 100% of your notes were sync'd and you didn't have offline notebooks), and install 5 then wait for it to pull your stuff back down. Your database can be found by selecting Evernote|About Evernote from the menu, press the option key, then click the database link that shows up.

Backup twice just to be safe, but I've done this a gazillion times over the last few years when a beta went awry or my db got corrupt.

As much as I LOVE to hate evernote, there is nothing like it. I use OneNote at work but it is used very differently and I'd absolutely hate it for what I use Evernote for. OneNote is a simpler version of Word that uses pages instead of file names.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go, although it looks as though I might lose some of the new features, not that I think that will make much difference in my case.

I certainly don't hate Evernote and agree there really is nothing quite like it.  It's just that the Ive inspired 'flat' look of grey text on a grey background does my eyes in.  I've tried tweaking brightness and contrast on my 2013 MB Air without much success.  I had wondered whether to use something like Color Munki to calibrate the screen and possibly achieve greater contrast in the grey areas.  Takes me back to my old photography days - more contrast in the shadow areas without burning out the highlights....

Evernote seem to have slavishly adopted Apple's design guide when they'd do better to throw parts of it in the bin, or at least give us the option to revert to the earlier display style.  I really can't see what they have to lose.

To be fair they aren't the only ones, although El Cap does seem to have made some slight improvement over Yosemite,

• Level 5*

While all of this time is being spent on the Toolbar, can we get an indent/outdent like EN for Windows, iOS, and even this forum has, rather than forcing us to remember Shift-CMD-[ and Shift-CMD-]?

And merging in the order notes are selected. 

• Level 5*

What would really be great is a fully customizable formatting toolbar, where the user can choose as few or as many buttons as he/she likes.  Any item on the Format menu should be available as a toolbar button.

And merging in the order notes are selected. I want that button.  ;)

I'd also be ok with customizable formatting tool bars, but it would need to be sync'd with the service and not a local setting that was wiped if you got a new machine or had to uninstall/reinstall for some reason.

• Level 5*

I'd also be ok with customizable formatting tool bars, but it would need to be sync'd with the service and not a local setting that was wiped if you got a new machine or had to uninstall/reinstall for some reason.

This illustrates the need to have lots of choices as Preference settings.

Each of us have our own machines, workflows, and UI preferences.

For me, I'd want the toolbar setup to be machine specific, because I have some Macs with small screens and others with large external monitors.  But I agree that the Preference setting should persist across EN updates.

• Level 5*

For the love of everything that's saint and holy, please let me turn off the auto-format and auto-emoticon thing, it is horrible.

It is coming. They said it is already a preference in the internal builds, so just waiting for them to release a beta. I think they said one would be out Tues or Wed of this week.

Just wanted to confirm that I am facing the same issue with the same setup (machine, version, EN).

This has worked for a number of people.  These are the hardest issues for us to track down and fix because only a few people run into it and we can't replicate it in house and don't know why they only some are seeing it.  In any case, let me know if that doesn't work and I can try to help you further. 

Tried the suggestion. Did not help really. A lot of beachballing, really slow switches between notes (3-10 seconds).

Anything else I could try?

I have tried already cleaning up the installation and re-downloading everything again.

Is there a place where I could download the previous version?

Archived