What is the best way tos can receipts into Evernote?

• Level 5*

I'm an Apple IOS and Mac user.

I've found the fastest and simplest method is to use my iPad and the camera feature built into Evernote. I'd like to use my iPhone for this, but it seems to cause EN to crash.

I also use my all-in-one printer/scanner with my Mac Mini. It provides a higher level of control features, and I save the scan to a folder that auto-imports to EN.

I've tried the various scan apps, but they just seem to add complexity to the process.

• Level 5*

Android user here.  The easiest way for odd receipts - usually shortly after getting one - is to use the 'camera' button on my (customized) Widget.  Take a snapshot - good light,  contrasting background:  add a relevant title and save.  If I have a batch to process I revert to the desktop and use a ScanSnap.  It's quick,  gets both sides (with optional blank page rejection) and it's easier to type in extra comments and titles if necessary.  I can also OCR the content locally,  which is good for situations where I'm looking for a payment to tie it up with a statement.  '17:70' can be easier to find than 'Jo's Cafe'

• Level 5

The OCR is a good tip, but some of the thermal receipts from places like the gas stations or fast-food restaurants  end up crumpled or sun-faded which makes the OCR's job much more difficult. I usually add the amount of the receipt in text form at the end of my Evernote title.

Example:

2015 10 15 USA ME Bangor - gasoline - Sams Club - 62,719 miles - $19.84

Android user here.  The easiest way for odd receipts - usually shortly after getting one - is to use the 'camera' button on my (customized) Widget.  Take a snapshot - good light,  contrasting background:  add a relevant title and save.  If I have a batch to process I revert to the desktop and use a ScanSnap.  It's quick,  gets both sides (with optional blank page rejection) and it's easier to type in extra comments and titles if necessary.  I can also OCR the content locally,  which is good for situations where I'm looking for a payment to tie it up with a statement.  '17:70' can be easier to find than 'Jo's Cafe'

Thanks.

What does OCR stand for?

Also, is there a default notebook that photos are saved in or can I "save them to" a certain area fater ive taken the picture?

• Level 5*

Hi.  OCR is 'optical character reading' - means converting a picture of a word into the actual word.  Try googling the term for more.  After you've taken a picture it's typically saved to a default notebook - your choice of which notebook you make the default.

Archived