Ability to disable automatic formatting?

Hi,

Is it possible to disable automatic formatting in a note? What I mean is, say I have some bolded text and regular text and some underlined text in a note. Some words and sentences bolded or underlined, some not. All throughout my note. If I want to make edits to the text and click my cursor into it, the new text I type will be normal or bolded (or both) depending on the preceding words formatting.

eg. This sentence is bolded.

If I click my cursor right after the period and then press enter (so as to move to a new line), any text I type will continue to be bolded.

eg. This sentence is bolded.

Now this one also is.

Is it possible to stop this behaviour, ie. no matter where I jump in and out with my cursor it will always type in regular text. I want to make it so that special formatting suck as bolding, underling, italics, etc can be disabled at all times (unless I press CMD-B for example to begin typing in bold text).

Does that make sense? Hard to explain but hopefully somebody understands what I mean and can help me out!

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  This situation applies in various apps.  To make a single word or a phrase bold in the middle of other plain text,  you can either type all the text first and then go back and add the formatting,  or consider the command to apply the formatting as a switch.  Select the switch to turn it on for a few specific words,  and then when you get to the end,  select it again to switch the formatting off.  It's also possible to hit 'return' several times in a document before you type,  which creates several blank lines with normal formatting.  If you then insert a heading,  use down-arrow rather than return,  to move to the next (plain text) line below.

Hmmm... I appreciate the help but I'm not sure I explained my dilemma well enough. I understand how to format but what I'm looking for is a way to permanently turn off formatting as a "switch" as you put it. The problem is that if I am jumping my cursor around in a bunch of already typed text, some of which is normal, some bolded, some underlined, some italicised, etc - any text I insert will "switch" according to where the cursor was placed. I want to be able to switch all formattng off and have it remain off no matter what I do, until I turn it back on again. So for example if there was a bolded word in a sentence, like this, I want to be able to literally click my cursor between the h and the i in the word "this" and type anything and for it to not automatically "switch" on to be bolded. So for example thabcdefgis. Bad example I know, but you see what I mean. At the minute it will default to thabcdefgis. 

Lol, kinda hard to explain. Basically, I want a permanent "off switch" that stays off no matter what. Is this possible to do?

• Level 5*

The code behind bold will be something like <start bold>this is now bold text<end bold>.  To get the non-bold characters in between,  you need to insert <end bold><start bold> around the text.  It works on phrases,  not individual characters,  so there's no way to set it up as you specify.  :( 

Archived