[Windows] Sub sorting not going by create date anymore

So i have evernote setup mostly like 'The Secret Weapon' does with an extensive use of tags.   I typically sort by Tags and i can see all of my notes in order of priority.  This works fantastically.

What i'm having an issue with is the sub sorting.   On my old PC when I sort by Tags, it also sub sorts by Create Date.  On my new PC it is sub sorting by Updated Date.  I can't figure out how to change the sub sorting priority back to Create Date.  I want to see the oldest notes first within that Tag grouping.  Sorting by updated date throws that all out of whack and i have to hunt for the oldest note instead of just seeing it first.

It looks like both PC's have the same exact version of Evernote installed.

Is this a setting somewhere?  I've tried various methods of trying to get it to sub sort by create date, but haven't figure it out yet.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's late here and I can't get my head around why the sub sorting works differently on two machines - but if you're looking at the List view of notes,  could you work out something by either searching a date range and then sorting the found notes by tag,  or searching for multiple tags (tag:tag1 tag:tag2 tag:tag3) and sorting by date?

Hi.  It's late here and I can't get my head around why the sub sorting works differently on two machines - but if you're looking at the List view of notes,  could you work out something by either searching a date range and then sorting the found notes by tag,  or searching for multiple tags (tag:tag1 tag:tag2 tag:tag3) and sorting by date?

This is similar to what i'm doing.. here is my saved search:

notebook:"Action Pending" tag:".Active Projects" tag:@work

Then my normal workflow is to sort by tag which puts them in order of priority (because those tags start with ! and 1-6) all of the !'s first, then numbers, etc.  That's been working great for a couple years, but it's subsorting by updated date now for some reason which is ruining my flow.

I'm still really confused because if i right click on the column bar, both PC's show "Created" as the bolded (assuming default?) column.  Sorting by tags on old PC still sub-sorts correctly by Created date.  New PC it sub sorts by Updated.  I've even tried unchecking updated date as a displayed column and it still does the same thing.  I've gone through all the options and preferences i can find and not having much luck.

I really wish someone from Evernote could chime in and help me out.  It's really slowing down my flow.  Thankfully it still works correctly on my Android.

• Level 5*

What i'm having an issue with is the sub sorting.   On my old PC when I sort by Tags, it also sub sorts by Create Date.  On my new PC it is sub sorting by Updated Date.  I can't figure out how to change the sub sorting priority back to Create Date. 

You might try this:

1. First sort on Create Date
  2. Then sort on Tags

This worked on a test I just did in EN Mac 6.1, but I can't say for sure that it will work in EN Win.

What i'm having an issue with is the sub sorting.   On my old PC when I sort by Tags, it also sub sorts by Create Date.  On my new PC it is sub sorting by Updated Date.  I can't figure out how to change the sub sorting priority back to Create Date. 

You might try this:

1. First sort on Create Date
  2. Then sort on Tags

This worked on a test I just did in EN Mac 6.1, but I can't say for sure that it will work in EN Win.

Good idea; unfortunately I've already tried this several variations of it.  I've also unchecked the "updated" column so it's not displaying at all anymore and retried all the various sorting "tricks".  Still sub-sorting by Updated date/time.

Do you know where the settings data is stored on the computer?  I'm wondering if i can just close Evernote and copy those files from my old PC to the new one and see if that fixes it.

• Level 5*

Here's another idea.  Don't know if it will work, but:

1. Set note list to "All Notes"
  2. Set sort to "Created date"
  3. Exit Evernote.
  4. Restart Evernote.
  5. Confirm sort is still "Created date"
  6. Set sort to "tags"

Hopefully that will do it.  

Here's another idea.  Don't know if it will work, but:

1. Set note list to "All Notes"
  2. Set sort to "Created date"
  3. Exit Evernote.
  4. Restart Evernote.
  5. Confirm sort is still "Created date"
  6. Set sort to "tags"

Hopefully that will do it.  

Now this is weird... i tried this and when i restarted Evernote my column changes were gone.  Columns i had unchecked were back and the order of the columns was back to default...  it was like my settings didn't save.  I think something is messed up with the local appdata profile for Evernote.

**FIXED**  What i did was delete these local folders from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote:

- Databases

- Dict

- LocalStorage

Then copied those same folders from my old PC and started Evernote back up.  It prompted me for my password and then launched normally.  Now all my sorting and columns are correct!!  Woohoo.

Archived