tagging note in desktop app

I am using the latest windows desktop version: 5.9.1.8742 and the latest android version of evernote.

I use many tags with two words, for example “Europe France” and “Europe Germany”.

When i try to tag a note with “France”, the tag list doesn’t show “Europe France” tag. Facing the same problem on evernote android app but on evernote website its working perfectly !

I am missing something? or the desktop and android version doesn’t support this?

Please help.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are differences between operating systems and devices - ideal world,  there probably shouldn't be;  but here we are...  Is there a major problem with finding your Europe tags by typing that word,  then choosing the 'France' option?

Hi.  There are differences between operating systems and devices - ideal world,  there probably shouldn't be;  but here we are...  Is there a major problem with finding your Europe tags by typing that word,  then choosing the 'France' option?

Thanks for your reply,

Yes for me it is a sort of a major problem as i use many two words tags as in the above example.

If i get the same functionality as supported by evernote through its website, it would definitely make my life more easy and organized.

• Level 5

I am using the latest windows desktop version: 5.9.1.8742 and the latest android version of evernote.

I use many tags with two words, for example “Europe France” and “Europe Germany”.

When i try to tag a note with “France”, the tag list doesn’t show “Europe France” tag. Facing the same problem on evernote android app but on evernote website its working perfectly !

I am missing something? or the desktop and android version doesn’t support this?

Please help.

What I would do is create two levels of tags. I do this for most of my tags.

Parent tag

Child tag

Example:

Europe

Austria

France

Germany

Italy

Sweden

Asia

China

Japan

S_Korea

Taiwan

The purpose of the Europe tag and the Asia tag is just help group the relevant tags.  They are not assigned to any notes.

To see all notes for France, use the search term

tag:France

Please help.

What I would do is create two levels of tags. I do this for most of my tags.

Parent tag

Child tag

Example:

Europe

Austria

France

Germany

Italy

Sweden

Asia

China

Japan

S_Korea

Taiwan

The purpose of the Europe tag and the Asia tag is just help group the relevant tags.  They are not assigned to any notes.

To see all notes for France, use the search term

tag:France

Thanks for your reply,

I have approximately 30 tags having “France” somewhere in my tags. Things would get easy , if i get a list of all that 30 tags by typing “France” while tagging a note. I can do this using evernote web, but not using evernote android or desktop app.  

• Level 5

Thanks for your reply,

I have approximately 30 tags having “France” somewhere in my tags. Things would get easy , if i get a list of all that 30 tags by typing “France” while tagging a note. I can do this using evernote web, but not using evernote android or desktop app.  

Evernote search works at the beginning of a tag, but not in the middle or end of a tag.

If I had 30 tags containing the word France, I would edit them so that France was the first word in each of the 30 tags.

Actually, I would shorten it to Fra-.

In the desktop, as soon as you start typing Fra in the search field, you will only see the 30 France tags.

I do that for the Acronyms I have collected over the years.

Example of my acronym tags (just acronyms from A to D)

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAIi1fFrC7BI_KLKisnvsc0jDJCoZjGMMl8/

Also, a rule of thumb I find very helpful is to get rid of tags that have fewer than 5 notes associated with the tag. Or search for notes that are missing that tag.

It is not an absolute rule, but it does help keep my list of tags more useful. I bend this rule when it comes to my list of acronyms.

Thanks for your reply,

Evernote search works at the beginning of a tag, but not in the middle or end of a tag.

If I had 30 tags containing the word France, I would edit them so that France was the first word in each of the 30 tags.

Actually, I would shorten it to Fra-.

In the desktop, as soon as you start typing Fra in the search field, you will only see the 30 France tags.

I do that for the Acronyms I have collected over the years.

Example of my acronym tags (just acronyms from A to D)

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAIi1fFrC7BI_KLKisnvsc0jDJCoZjGMMl8/

Also, a rule of thumb I find very helpful is to get rid of tags that have fewer than 5 notes associated with the tag. It is not an absolute rule, but it does help keep my list of tags more useful. I bend this rule when it comes to my list of acronyms.

good suggestion :) will try to implement it. thank you all for the help :)

• Level 5*

Also, if you repeat the 30 second words of the tag for other countries, you might consider creating a tag for each country and a tag for each of the 30 other words, perhaps preceded by a special character so that you get a drop down list for the 30.  That way if you ever want to search by one of the 30 tags across countries you can without any pain.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

I agree with @csihilling that if you have a tag with two words where each word is really an independent category, then you would be best served by having two tags instead of one.

For example, if you have:

• France Lodging
  • Germany Lodging

Then it would work better as:

• France
  • Germany
  • Lodging

I also make use of a tag prefix that represents a broad category, like "EUR." for Europe.

Then you would have:

• EUR.France
  • EUR.Germany
  • etc

The advantage of this system is that when you start typing to assign a tag, or set a tag filter, and you type "eur.", Evernote will show a dropdown list of all tags that start with that prefix, making it easy to find and select the tag you want.

Combining these two approaches, you can Search like this:

tag:lodging tag:eur.*

This would show all Notes in Europe that are about Lodging.

• 1 year later...

It's kind of annoying that you can't search by a middle word. The functionality already exist in Evernote's Chrome extension.

I use a Mac and my hack is to use Evernote and Alfred (a bit like Mac's spotlight) together:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/productivity/evernote-with-alfred-workflows/

I initiate creating a new note in alfred by typing "enn" and then type "#" followed in this example "france" and it brings back all the tags with france in it. It takes about one or two seconds.

Archived