6.1.1 Evernote freezes (El Capitan)

Hello,

Unfortunately, evernote freezes every few minutes when annotating a pdf. It is unresponsive until I force quit evernote and then it works again for a few minutes. I'm running El Capitan. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

This is actually still a problem in EN 6.4. I too am experiencing annotation "freezing" every couple of minutes. It's very annoying especially while in class and attempting to jot down notes.

I'm also using El Capitan and have attempted to report the problem to EN support (a couple of times), but they say they can't replicate it. I went as far as to record my screen and showing them that it does indeed occur.

I guess all there is to do is shrug and suffer until EN tries harder to fix it?!

Had the same problem for months.  Very frustrating!

I spoke to a support person and eventually sent them a screen recording.  They said they were able to replicate it and have sent it off to the development team with the steps to reproduce.  That was 2 weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet... 

Fingers crossed.

It seems basically random to me too.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to me.

However, I find if I keep clicking around quickly with the "text" tool, I can reproduce it most of the time after the 20th click or so.  

Yeah. Same here. I've also noticed that sometimes a restart will not resolve the issue; that is, clicking--with the text tool--anywhere on the PDF (after a restart) will still cause annotation to freeze. Well, unless you highlight a couple of things first. It's all rather buggy.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, jonteamere said:

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I'm experiencing it more often now. It's very troubling that I have to restart Evernote every couple of minutes.

Nope.  Nothing yet.  I even tried updating to the latest beta version, but it's still doing it.  Losing hope that Evernote will ever be able to track it down, and I'm already looking for alternatives.

5 minutes ago, jonteamere said:

I'm willing to abandon EN altogether if I can find a program with similar annotate features. Any ideas?

I've been using PDF Expert for annotations, and Evernote to sync.  Not perfectly, but much less frustrating than the freezing.

I'm really bummed to see that EN hasn't addressed this annotation issue in their latest release (6.5). Annotation STILL crashes with adding text.

They can adjust keyboard commands and add additional features, but can't fix the features they already have. I don't understand.

• 1 month later...

I'm losing patience. It used to be that when I try to annotate an image, Evernote simply freezes. Need to restart. Sometimes, I'm able to get into an image to annotate it. If Evernote happens to freeze while I'm annotating, I restart AND lose the image! What's going on? The worst part is that I'm "only" a plus subscriber...that means I can't view a previous version of my note. I've lost my work on that image. I feel like evernote is falling apart at the seams. There's no support and they expect users to blindly solve problems for each other. When my plus subscription is over I'm moving on to something else. This is causing too much frustration and wasted time. I want to believe in this company but they're falling behind.

2 hours ago, Jesse1 said:

I'm losing patience. It used to be that when I try to annotate an image, Evernote simply freezes. Need to restart. Sometimes, I'm able to get into an image to annotate it. If Evernote happens to freeze while I'm annotating, I restart AND lose the image! What's going on? The worst part is that I'm "only" a plus subscriber...that means I can't view a previous version of my note. I've lost my work on that image. I feel like evernote is falling apart at the seams. There's no support and they expect users to blindly solve problems for each other. When my plus subscription is over I'm moving on to something else. This is causing too much frustration and wasted time. I want to believe in this company but they're falling behind.

Agreed.  I've already cancelled and moved to OneNote.  I spoke with an Evernote rep a few weeks ago looking into my ticket, and they said the developers haven't made any progress on the bug.  Couldn't wait any longer.

3 hours ago, Jesse1 said:

Yeah. I'm through too. I really hate that they develop a feature for their application that they simply aren't willing to support. @Jesse1 the problem is that I haven't found anything that fits my workflow like EN does. I just can't stand lazy developers. Our problem is clearly not isolated; they're just choosing to ignore it. @Sydryx how's OneNote? I'm downloading it now.

@jonteamereThere's definitely a learning curve.  I was making individual "Notebooks" for each of my classes like I was doing with Evernote.  However, it was unwieldy to switch between them.  However, if you make 1 "Notebook" for everything, an individual "Tab" for each class, and then individual "pages" for each lecture, it's a pretty good approximation of Evernote for my needs.  Sync seems much slower though...Evernote has the one up there.

• 1 year later...

I started experiencing freezing very often after upgrade to the latest v6.11(El-Capitan, rMBP 2012) - it's SUPER ANNOYING. To be honest, there seems to be practically zero development (at lest regarding the desktop version) and rather than fixing bugs they often introduce another nasty ones. This SW is getting worse and worse and it's only a matter of time when more users will migrate to another product. It's clearly visible even from the forum how "satisfied" users are with EN and how "promptly" reported issues are being processed.

I used to love the annotation feature, but it has become unreliable enough that I am scared to use it in case it crashes and I have to redo my annotations all over. If a fix is coming for this, I would really appreciate some kind of response from Evernote in this thread, at the very least acknowledging that it's being addressed. I may consider switching to another platform and closing my paid Evernote subscription if this key feature remains unaddressed. 
(Evernote 6.11, El-Capitan Version 10.11.6, rMBP 2013) 

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 1/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, Diego Cidrás said:

I am experiencing the same problem. Does anyone no if there's a way to fix it? 

Evernote crashes everytime I open PDF annotation mode.

(Mac - El Capitan 10.11.6. I have already reinstalled the app)

Hi.  Please see your other post -

(...and please don't post twice n the same issue...)

Archived