Unable to save a note shared via Work Chat to my notebooks

I have successfully shared a notebook with a collegue who has Evernote installed.  However when I just share a note, he gets a chat with a link which works fine but then he can only get to that note through that chat link.  Shouldn't the note appear in his Evernote somwhere so he can access it at anytime ?  I am either doing someonething wrong or I just don't understand how it is supposed to work.

• Level 5*

I have successfully shared a notebook with a collegue who has Evernote installed.  However when I just share a note, he gets a chat with a link which works fine but then he can only get to that note through that chat link.  Shouldn't the note appear in his Evernote somwhere so he can access it at anytime ?  I am either doing someonething wrong or I just don't understand how it is supposed to work.

Your logic is good and intuitive.

Unfortunately, Evernote's is NOT.

Sorry I can't cite the source, but I remember reading that when you share just a Note via Work Chat, it does not work like sharing a NB.

The shared Note is available only via Chat.

You might try clicking on the EN Help Center in my signature below, and searching on "sharing notes" for more info.

At this time it is not possible to save a shared note (shared to you via Work Chat) to one of your own notebooks. The best option would be to have the sharer share with you the whole notebook because this will allow for the notebook to appear alongside your other notebooks.

• Level 5*

At this time it is not possible to save a shared note to one of your own notebooks. The best option would be to have the sharer share with you the whole notebook because this will allow for the notebook to appear alongside your other notebooks.

Can't you share a note as a public URL, and then the recipient and copy the shared note to their personal account?

At this time it is not possible to save a shared note to one of your own notebooks. The best option would be to have the sharer share with you the whole notebook because this will allow for the notebook to appear alongside your other notebooks.

Can't you share a note as a public URL, and then the recipient and copy the shared note to their personal account?

Yes, this is possible but you would only have view access to the note shared to you via public url. If you use Work Chat and are given edit permissions, you can edit their note and chat about the note. These collaboration features are not possible with the public url route.

Thanks everyone for your advice.  The note has to be in sync all the time by both people so copying it to their personal account would not be an option as it is de-linked.  These notes are in a business structure and sharing the entire notebook would give the other person access to notes they should not have access to.  The only thing I can think to do is to create a sub notebook for each note I want to share and create the note in the sub notebook and share the subnote book.  It's a little cludgy but may work.

Archived