How to search for text that has slashes?

In my Evernote/Mac notebooks, I'm trying to search for text that contains slashes, i.e., /, but I don't know how to phrase my search string.

For example, I want to find notes that contain "account/admin".

I type Alt-Cmd-F to "Search Notes..." and then type account/admin in the search box.  However, that finds each word ('account' and 'admin') individually instead of the complete phrase I want.

I've tried with both single and double quotes around my search term and that doesn't work.

I've also tried escaping (back-slashing) the slash, i.e., account\/admin and that doesn't work.

I've searched the Evernote online help to no avail, and same with Google.

I'm sure this search is doable; I just don't know how to do it right.  I'd be grateful for an assist.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, AFAIK there is no way to include "special characters", other than the underscore ("_"), in your search text.  Evernote searches for words, and considers everything that is not a letter, number, or "_" to be special character that denotes a word boundary, even if it is enclosed in quotes.

So if you search for "Evernote/Mac", it will search for two words:  "Evernote" and "Mac" found anywhere in the Note.

• Level 5

A general rule I follow is to always add a space (on both sides) between text and special characters

Example:

account / admin

And as JMichael mention, you can also use the underscore. 

Example:

account_admin

JMichael said: So if you search for "Evernote/Mac", it will search for two words:  "Evernote" and "Mac" found anywhere in the Note.

In fact, it will search for the sequence "evernote" followed by "mac"

There's a clear discussion at 

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

To summarize: Within a quoted string, all special characters other than underscore are whitespace.  Whitespace breaks the quoted string into a sequence of words. Notes are searched for that sequence. Case is ignored. (Some small words, like "to" are ignored - let's not go there.)

So the search strings "evernote/mac" "EverNoTE%^Mac" and "evernote mac" all find the word "evernote" immediately followed by the word "mac"

• Level 5*

JMichael said: So if you search for "Evernote/Mac", it will search for two words: "Evernote" and "Mac" found anywhere in the Note.

In fact, it will search for the sequence "evernote" followed by "mac"

There's a clear discussion at

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

To summarize: Within a quoted string, all special characters other than underscore are whitespace. Whitespace breaks the quoted string into a sequence of words. Notes are searched for that sequence. Case is ignored. (Some small words, like "to" are ignored - let's not go there.)

So the search strings "evernote/mac" "EverNoTE%^Mac" and "evernote mac" all find the word "evernote" immediately followed by the word "mac"

While it may be clear on the Evernote Dev web site, all I can tell you is that that is not how it is currently working in EN Mac 6.1 running on Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.5).

I just ran a test searching for "Evernote/Mac" (including the quotes), and it returned all Notes that had "Evernote" and "Mac" somewhere in the Note, even though the phrase "Evernote/Mac" nor "Evernote Mac" was NOT in the Note.

Curious.  I am running Evernote 6.6.1 on Os X 10.10.5 and my result is that "evernote mac" returns only records that have "evernote" followed by "mac" - although a small word may intervene, as "evernote for mac".  In a note in the result, all occurrences of "evernote" and "mac" are highlighted, but there is some occurrence of "evernote" [possible small word] "mac". 

Archived