Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 4 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We’re getting very close to releasing version 6.2 to everyone so please let us know if you see any issues in this beta.  

The key focus of Evernote for Mac 6.2 is the ability to resize windows especially making them smaller so that we can fit into half the screen for split view on El Captan.  Actually it’s pretty useful for everyone since Evernote users are always making the window small to copy and paste stuff from other applications.  Some other things we’ve done is to move Work Chat to the bottom of the sidebar for 10.10+ users since as many of you have mentioned before Evernote is a note taking app and not a chatting app.  Along with this is an all new note sharing infrastructure that we believe is a lot more stable and reliable.  Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).

In terms of changes from Beta 3, hopefully we’ve fixed all of the issues you’ve reported.  First off we decided to go back to our original layout for the note editor toolbar.  This is mostly because we decided to change the underlying technology we used to build the toolbar and it was easier to go back to that.  A number of the issues you reported like the toolbar being hidden or floating down the screen was because of this other technology so building this a different way meant we could fix those issues.  Also, it sounded like many of you who used tags a lot really wanted to be able to see the tags even when editing a note and the 6.1 layout supports this.  Now we may go to the new Beta 3 design with some modifications in the future but for now we decided the original 6.1 layout has served us well for a long time and it feels a little cleaner and more modern with a new white background.  The good news is we also made a bunch of fixes to that old toolbar so it should work a lot better now especially when the window is sized small.  I think one of the best improvements is that when you click on Tags the tag edit area expands to fit the width of the toolbar providing more space.  Hopefully those of you who like tags will also like this feature.  This new version should also fix all of the weird contextual menu issues in the note editor so you should see the right menu when you right click on an item and other fixes.

Another big change in Beta 4 is that we fixed a bunch of search issues especially for Asian languages but before you see the results of those fixes we'll need to reindex all of your notes.  We worked really hard to reduce the CPU impact because the last time we did this people saw performance issues and other problems.  There still might be an initial perf impact upon first launching Evernote as we rev up our re-indexer but it should quickly drop back to normal after a few minutes.  Let us know if you still see huge performance issues after you launch Beta 4.

Finally, we’re still putting the finishing touches on 6.2 but hope to release next week.

Thanks again for beta testing Mac 6.2 beta 4.  As always, please give us your feedback and issues.   You can download the beta from here.

66 replies to this idea

I remembered two other parts that I would like along these lines: 

1. The ability to set things off in a box, just as the comments above show up in a box. To visually separate the code (or other quoted text). 

2. The ability to go back to default formatting after pasting something in. If I paste in formatted text, the text immediately afterwards ends up in the same formatting. I never figured out an easy way to go back to default behavior for remaining text. The best I've been able to do is to insert some blank lines before pasting, to make sure there is at least one existing default formatted line after the paste. 

I agree that this is annoying. I run into it all the time (particularly when I forget to SHIFT-OPT-CTRL-V to paste with matching formatting), and my work-around is the same: be sure to insert some blank lines following the insertion point. That's not necessarily a "problem" with Evernote, though: nearly every "rich text" editor on the Mac (and other computers) has that same issue.

Here's a hint, though: Mac's respond to certain Emacs-style commands, and CTRL-O is one of these. It "opens new lines" after the insertion point. If you follow CTRL-O with CTRL-V then reposition your cursor after the pasted text (on the new line), you should find the editor set to the original formatting characteristics rather than those of the pasted text.

1. The ability to set things off in a box, just as the comments above show up in a box. To visually separate the code (or other quoted text). 

2. The ability to go back to default formatting after pasting something in. If I paste in formatted text, the text immediately afterwards ends up in the same formatting. I never figured out an easy way to go back to default behavior for remaining text. The best I've been able to do is to insert some blank lines before pasting, to make sure there is at least one existing default formatted line after the paste. 

I agree that this is annoying. I run into it all the time (particularly when I forget to SHIFT-OPT-CTRL-V to paste with matching formatting), and my work-around is the same: be sure to insert some blank lines following the insertion point. That's not necessarily a "problem" with Evernote, though: nearly every "rich text" editor on the Mac (and other computers) has that same issue.

Here's a hint, though: Mac's respond to certain Emacs-style commands, and CTRL-O is one of these. It "opens new lines" after the insertion point. If you follow CTRL-O with CTRL-V then reposition your cursor after the pasted text (on the new line), you should find the editor set to the original formatting characteristics rather than those of the pasted text.

This is a critical item. It's a problem that we shouldn't have to learn to live with. If a "note" is going to have format variability depending on the insertion point, then there should be some clear mechanism for interfacing with it, otherwise it's beyond annoying, it's counter-productive. I don't want to think about all the times I've encountered this nuisance. There should be clearly marked boundaries, containers, blocks that designate the formatting: one for code, one for plain text, one for rich text, etc. which can be intermixed and interweaved in a single document/note. No mystery, no guessing, no invisible boundaries separating formatting. Anything pasted into the block will be automatically converted into that format. I would know exactly what to expect from each block. Each container could even further be customized in preferences, to have a consistent look for code snippets in all my notes, for example. The boundaries can be toggled, similar to turning borders on and off in tables which helps with creation. I know there are tips and workarounds and ways of managing this, but I don't understand why it needs to be an issue when there are definitely things that could be done by the app developers to assist in our editing. It would be to everyone's benefit. I'd expect such sloppiness and naked devices from a general rich text editor, but I expect more from Evernote considering one of its purposes is to aggregate copy of various formats.

I've had trouble with this in the past including "--" becoming one long dash. [...] Interestingly, it currently seems that if I paste something with -- it stays a --, but if I try to type it, it gets merged.

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text -> Use smart quotes and dashes

Thanks. I should have gotten that before. 

The "assistance" in filling out tags gets in the way of creating a new tag. I wanted to create a tag called "HUD1" just like that. I typed HU and it found "Humor" so it reduced my tag to "Hu" and when I typed "D1" to finish it, it was "HuD1" and no amount of correcting would make it all caps I finally typed XXXHUD1 then went back and backspaced over the XXX and it worked, but that shouldn't be necessary.

This is so annoying.  Probably my number one annoyance with Evernote.  I felt like the Beta 3 tag bar was a little better about it, but that now that it's reverted, it's back to partially autocompleting in the worst way.  I kinda liked the Beta 3 bar; I felt like there was more space for the tags.

• Level 5*

The "assistance" in filling out tags gets in the way of creating a new tag. I wanted to create a tag called "HUD1" just like that. I typed HU and it found "Humor" so it reduced my tag to "Hu" and when I typed "D1" to finish it, it was "HuD1" and no amount of correcting would make it all caps I finally typed XXXHUD1 then went back and backspaced over the XXX and it worked, but that shouldn't be necessary.

• Level 5*

The context menu is worse in this build. It works consistently between a note in its own window and a note in Evernote's main window, which is good, but the features are lacking.

For example, "Rename Attachment" is grayed out on PDF files! This is killer. I'll need to wait until I get to work and do everything with my Windows version.

Annotate and Annotate a copy are both missing. They exist for image attachments, but not PDFs.

I also just noticed that for old PDFs that were already in EN, it works fine, but these new PDFs I just scanned this morning have this crippled menu. See the menus here.

Ok, there is some sort of delay happening. I just put in a new PDF file and the same thing is happening, but the PDF files I scanned in half an hour ago work fine now.

What is this delay? None of the PDFs were put in EN through this Mac. The scanned PDFs were scanned in on a Windows PC and uploaded then sync'd to the Mac, and the most recent one was clipped from the web, so in both cases they came through the EN server to get to the Mac. Is there some sort of indexing that has to happen that your servers are slow on this morning, or is there an issue with beta 4?

Also, the Annotate icon is back too on the "old" scans. The new scan still cannot be annotated as I type this, but probably will be able to in 15-20min.

Thanks for reporting this.  We are doing a massive reindexing of all your notes when you first launch Beta 4.  Even though we worked hard to lower the CPU impact it's possible this could still be impacting other things like maybe the menu item.  Also if it's a large note we may not be able to set the menu correctly until it's fully synced.  We did discuss this issue in our dev meeting today and we're doing some more investigation in this area.  We don't think this should be working any differently than previous releases.

Ok, the indexing must have been the culprit, but there is still a noticeable delay, on the order of tens of seconds before I can get the correct right-click menu to show up, so it seems indexing itself is taking longer. IMHO, indexing should be pretty high priority for new notes, or the right-click menu shouldn't be dependent on a note being indexed. Why would a note need to be indexed for "rename" or "open" to be available.

I have probably the slowest Mac in the group - the 2015 Macbook - so if you get this working like earlier betas, any old Air should also be fine. I suspect Pro users don't even see this.

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but you can always revert the auto formatting by pressing undo.  i.e. If you type "1. " it becomes a numbered list.  However, if you press "CMD+Z" it removes the list formatting and gives you back "1. "

I agree with @Stuhrer -- I don't like these so-called shortcuts -- which are really just left-over remnants of the Markdown feature which you removed (thankfully).

I don't see the utility.

We already have nice shortcut keys (CMD+SHIFT-U and CMD+SHIFT-O) to make the line be a bullet or numbered list.

Why add confusion that then requires more work to undo?  It might even lead some to the incorrect conclusion that Markdown is supported.

And for those users who really just want plain text to enter Markdown codes (that they can copy/paste elsewhere), it also compounds the problem.

I very often use numbers at the beginning of a line that I do NOT want to be a numbered list.

Please keep in mind the KISS principle, and remove these new shortcuts.

Thanks.

Have to disagree – at least in part.  Yes SHIFT + CMD + U or O would give us lists and I have used those many many times.  I also intend to continue using them.  But the beauty of the new way of creating numbered lists is that I can do this:

1. This is numbered point one.

2. This is numbered point two.

3. This is numbered point three.

[something else going on here breaking up my lovely numbered list]

4. This is numbered point four.

5. This is numbered point five.

I know that I can use a line break (shift + return) to add space to a numbered point, but that doesn't cover every eventuality.  I like the new potential of this way of creating numbered lists.  And you never know, there may be some people out there who don't want to start numbering at 1!   ;)

Keep text color set in preferences?

Any chance we will be able to persistently set the text color in preferences (besides the font and the size)?

If we can set the font and size, what is the issue for not setting the color?

Thanks

Luc

• Level 5*

Sometimes I want to add an image or insert a table somewhere in a list. Previously, if you didn't want that item to be bulleted or numbered itself, you would have to break the hierarchy of your notes - in my case, losing the numbering of the top level of the list.

With the new shortcuts, you can break the numbering hierarchy, add the image and then go the the next row and change the numbering back. If there was some way to achieve this before, I wasn't aware of it, but this is, at least, something to think about while working to improve the editor experience.

In EN Mac 6.1, If you are in a list (numbered or bullet), if you press SHIFT-RETURN at the end of the line it will make a new line without a list number/bullet.

There you can paste an image.

Press one or more SHIFT-RETURNs if desired to provide blank lines.

Then press a normal RETURN to create a new line to continue the list number/bullet.

So we really don't need the new beta shortcuts for bullet/numbered list.

Between Beta 3 and Beta 4, the minimum allowed window size when having a note open in a separate window increased again. Is this intended? If so, is there a technical reason for this? 

As it was in Beta 3, the note window didn't take up "too much" unnecessary screen space when opening it next to a browser or pdf for note taking while reading, but as of Beta 4 we are restricted by a too large minimum window size again (e.g. almost twice as large as for Apple Notes).

Also could you please add "Open Note in Separate Window" to the "Note" menu (so that it's possible to create a shortcut for that)?

I just noticed the increased minimum size - is it because of the reverted toolbar? Disappointing as it doesn't work nearly as well in split-screen view now. 

Having a shortcut for opening a note in a new window would be great.

Between Beta 3 and Beta 4, the minimum allowed window size when having a note open in a separate window increased again. Is this intended? If so, is there a technical reason for this? 

As it was in Beta 3, the note window didn't take up "too much" unnecessary screen space when opening it next to a browser or pdf for note taking while reading, but as of Beta 4 we are restricted by a too large minimum window size again (e.g. almost twice as large as for Apple Notes).

Also could you please add "Open Note in Separate Window" to the "Note" menu (so that it's possible to create a shortcut for that)?

While I feel the new keyboard shortcuts for lists may potentially be intrusive on some users' experiences and possibly redundant with previously existing shortcuts, I just wanted to add a use-case in which the new shortcuts are useful (for me at least). A large portion of my time in Evernote is spent taking notes, mostly bulleted and numbered lists. Sometimes I want to add an image or insert a table somewhere in a list. Previously, if you didn't want that item to be bulleted or numbered itself, you would have to break the hierarchy of your notes - in my case, losing the numbering of the top level of the list.

With the new shortcuts, you can break the numbering hierarchy, add the image and then go the the next row and change the numbering back. If there was some way to achieve this before, I wasn't aware of it, but this is, at least, something to think about while working to improve the editor experience.

Also, this build (beta 4) has seemed solid in the couple days I've used it. As others have mentioned, keyboard shortcuts for the notebook-picker now work while in the tag editor (which didn't in the last build) and the context menu seems to act appropriately regardless of how you are viewing a note and odd things like the color-picker for changing font colors is much better. I do prefer the larger icons of the last editor toolbar. I feel they looked nicer and were also able to be visually located quicker when glancing to the toolbar, making them more functional. Re-indexing also went unnoticeably for me on a 2.9 GHz Macbook Pro. 

• Level 5*

We did care about users on Macbook Air, and use old models of Macbook Air with dual cores and even less RAM to test internally, against accounts with lots of notes, and accounts with smaller number of notes but with big attachments.

Heh. I hope so. I have a new Macbook with the 1.2GHz processor. Fast enough for what I do, but it does bog down when doing large reports in Quicken and similar things like that. It will go to 2.7GHz (I think) when it needs to, but will back off once it gets too hot as it has no fan.

Over 7,000 notes and just over 7GB of data, dating back to 2004. (yes, I was an Evernote user before your company became official.) 

Marcus has my info with the output he requested.
It's a fast 3 year old Air. 8MB ram and the i7 processor. I left it running from around 5PM when I left to run errands and grabbed dinner to 8PM when I got home. When I got back, it was still running hard. I killed the process, relaunched, and it seems fine for now. Hopefully you find what went on because I can imagine most users not seeing that as a good experience. 

I'm on a 2012 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM. I left it running and ran some errands. I did try killing it and relaunching it plus rebooting. It still ate up all the resources and the UI was unresponsive.

I'll check when I get home.

We did care about users on Macbook Air, and use old models of Macbook Air with dual cores and even less RAM to test internally, against accounts with lots of notes, and accounts with smaller number of notes but with big attachments.  Still, our testing might not be comprehensive, and we would like to know how it works out for real users including you.  We do expect an initial CPU spike for some users as Marcus mentioned in the release note, but expect the usage will drop after a couple of minutes.  Also, the reindexing is supposed to run at background and not blocking UI.

However, our testing might not be comprehensive, and we would like to know how it works out for real users including you.  Do you mind letting us know how long the app run at high CPU usage?  Is this the first-time sync or your account has already downsynced everything before this upgrade?  If OK, please send your activity log, and better with the process sampling result to Marcus.  We would definitely want to take a look.  Thanks.

Btw, here is how to get a sampling for a unresponsive process on Mac: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/activitymonitor.html#AM-Sample-Process

I direct messaged EricSchneiderGA so Eric please reply to me via that path with links or anything else you can provide.  Again thanks for helping us out and letting us know you saw a performance issue.

I have more than 7000 notes and the re-index process really spends lots of time (approx. 500 notes/5mins). I am not sure whether it is a bug.

How do we know when it is done? I have a Macbook (2015) and I have no clue when it is busy. There is no HD light and indexing isn't a particularly processor intensive activity. I have almost 8,000 notes at around 7GB in size. I didn't leave it open for a long period of time, maybe 30-45min max before I closed the lid and went to work.

Should I leave it open for an hour or more tonight?

We do emit a completion message in activity log, but not via UI.  You don't need to wait for the completion, nor leave it open at night.  The reindexing will continue when you open the lid again.  Even if you quit the app, it will pick up the job when you open the app again.  For most users, we hope the reindexing will go unnoticeably.

In the future, perhaps pop up a Notification that indexing is done?

We have released the final version of 6.2.  You can download it here.  If you run into any issues in the final version of 6.2 please report it at the 6.2 release forum post.  

NOTE: Beta users who ran 6.2 Beta 4 and do not use English as their primary OS language will NOT be able to upgrade to the final version of 6.2.  Unfortunately there is a bug in Beta 4 that prevents the upgrade process from working for non-English systems.  Please download the final version of 6.2 from the link above after which everything will work fine.   The issue is in the upgrade dialog and not Evernote itself.

installed the new beta 6.2 and it still hangs on startup - el capitan. Any thoughts? it looks like it hangs as it tries to update and sync.

We're trying to track these down.  I'll contact you directly.  Thanks for reporting this issue.

I had a crash tonight also. I grabbed the crash report and saved it. 

Thanks for reporting this.  Please always complete the dialog that appears and asks for your name and email address.  This way I can figure out what crash you're seeing.  i'll contact you directly.

I think I've discovered a possible Bug. The crashes I'm experiencing are reproducible on my side. 

My setup is like this: Macbook Pro Retina running OS X 10.11.1 with external screen attached.

The situation when Evernote crashes is like follows:

I have Evernote open on the external screen. I double-click a note to open it separately. Next I drag the main Evernote window to my MacBooks screen (the single note stays on my attached screen. Evernote crashes.

Crashreport can be viewed here:

http://pastebin.com/Zw66tYBJ

Thanks, Jan

Thanks for reporting this.  I'll contact you directly.

I think I've discovered a possible Bug. The crashes I'm experiencing are reproducible on my side. 

My setup is like this: Macbook Pro Retina running OS X 10.11.1 with external screen attached.

The situation when Evernote crashes is like follows:

I have Evernote open on the external screen. I double-click a note to open it separately. Next I drag the main Evernote window to my MacBooks screen (the single note stays on my attached screen. Evernote crashes.

Crashreport can be viewed here:

http://pastebin.com/Zw66tYBJ

Thanks, Jan

Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts.  Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).  Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).

Hi,

Thanks for all the progress and updates. One thing, can I turn the automatic bulleting off? It is one of the features I very much dislike in word processors since I want my texts clear of formatting. I can imagine a lot of people like it but to me it is the MsWordification of Evernote.

Greetings,

Arjan
  • Level 5*

You were clear.  I understood.  Since I'm not a tag person I was thinking that some people might have a lot of tags but you're probably right that most will only have 5 or 6 per note.  The only question is what happens when the window is shrunk so only 1 tag can fit and then they get stacked to 5 to 6 lines high.    

Good point.  I'm sure there are various solutions but one is to make it a scrollable area that shows a max of 2 lines.

If all assigned tags do not display within two lines, then when the user does a mouseover of the tag area, show all tags in a popup that uses the full width of the Evernote window (if needed).

SoftwareMarcus,

Thanks for the ever-improving Evernote experience. I noticed in the beta 4 notes that Work Chat will be relegated to the bottom of the sidebar, because many users don't use it. Please reconsider or give users the ability to customize the side bar order like the iOS app. I run a science research lab and my team uses work chat constantly. Constant navigation to the bottom of the side bar will be a major disruption to our workflows - we'd probably consider Slack as an alternative. Please re-consider (the Work Chat bottom is so tiny anyways) and/or give us the ability to customize the side bar order.

Thanks again,

Adam

Adam, I think people who exchange messages via Work Chat will like the new design.  It's at the bottom of the sidebar but it doesn't scroll so it's always there.  Also when a new message comes in that message appears in the sidebar so you can click on it and bring it up quickly without losing your place.  I think the new location is an improvement but also in line with de-prioritizing it in the information architecture of the app.

SoftwareMarcus,

Thanks for the ever-improving Evernote experience. I noticed in the beta 4 notes that Work Chat will be relegated to the bottom of the sidebar, because many users don't use it. Please reconsider or give users the ability to customize the side bar order like the iOS app. I run a science research lab and my team uses work chat constantly. Constant navigation to the bottom of the side bar will be a major disruption to our workflows - we'd probably consider Slack as an alternative. Please re-consider (the Work Chat bottom is so tiny anyways) and/or give us the ability to customize the side bar order.

Thanks again,

Adam

This is a critical item. It's a problem that we shouldn't have to learn to live with. If a "note" is going to have format variability depending on the insertion point, then there should be some clear mechanism for interfacing with it, otherwise it's beyond annoying, it's counter-productive. I don't want to think about all the times I've encountered this nuisance. There should be clearly marked boundaries, containers, blocks that designate the formatting: one for code, one for plain text, one for rich text, etc. which can be intermixed and interweaved in a single document/note. No mystery, no guessing, no invisible boundaries separating formatting. Anything pasted into the block will be automatically converted into that format. I would know exactly what to expect from each block. Each container could even further be customized in preferences, to have a consistent look for code snippets in all my notes, for example. The boundaries can be toggled, similar to turning borders on and off in tables which helps with creation. I know there are tips and workarounds and ways of managing this, but I don't understand why it needs to be an issue when there are definitely things that could be done by the app developers to assist in our editing. It would be to everyone's benefit. I'd expect such sloppiness and naked devices from a general rich text editor, but I expect more from Evernote considering one of its purposes is to aggregate copy of various formats.

And perhaps I'm just doing it wrong :-) I mean, perhaps I'm expecting too much from a note unit. Maybe I need to split up my notes more so that the container is the note, rather than expecting containers within that unit to be more cooperative. I might be talking about notes within notes. That would indicate a notebook > sheet > note hierarchy.

BUG REPORT: When I'm using full-screen Split View, if I'm in Expanded Card View, if I open a note, it displays on that desktop; if I try to drag it to a desktop that isn't in Split View, the note bounces back to the desktop that has EN open in Split View. I would expect to at least be able to drag it anywhere I want. Perhaps it should open in Desktop 1 by default as well. This is with 6.2 beta 4, thanks.

I just tried this and I'm not able to reproduce it.  I have an Apple Cinema display where I've got Evernote in Split view with this forum post as the second view.  I double click on a note in the Expanded view and it pops up.  I then drag it to the second monitor and it blinks but it stays on that monitor.  My second monitor is a retina display laptop monitor.  Can you describe your configuration in more detail.  By the way, a lot of this is controlled by Apple.  I don't think we do much here.      

I understand this may be in Apple's court. I am able to reproduce it consistently, but I am not trying to drag it to a second display, rather just to another desktop on the same display -- I drag the note to the edge and wait for the desktops to switch, and release, but the note reverts back to the desktop that has EN open in Full Screen (doesn't have to be Split View). Thanks.

BUG REPORT: When I'm using full-screen Split View, if I'm in Expanded Card View, if I open a note, it displays on that desktop; if I try to drag it to a desktop that isn't in Split View, the note bounces back to the desktop that has EN open in Split View. I would expect to at least be able to drag it anywhere I want. Perhaps it should open in Desktop 1 by default as well. This is with 6.2 beta 4, thanks.

I just tried this and I'm not able to reproduce it.  I have an Apple Cinema display where I've got Evernote in Split view with this forum post as the second view.  I double click on a note in the Expanded view and it pops up.  I then drag it to the second monitor and it blinks but it stays on that monitor.  My second monitor is a retina display laptop monitor.  Can you describe your configuration in more detail.  By the way, a lot of this is controlled by Apple.  I don't think we do much here.      

Oops, I've been posting to the beta 2 thread:

Have you used the latest Ulysses Markdown editor? You can use gestures such as swiping left and right, in order to hide and show sidebars on the left and right, including multiple sidebars on the left--swipe once, see one, swipe again, see another. It's tres slick. I think Evernote could be made sexier with a UI like that.

BUG REPORT: Beta 4 updated flawlessly on iMac; on my MBP it showed the notification about migrating notes, but I had to force-quit when it was obviously finished in order to use the app.

General feedback: When I right-click on a stack and choose "New Notebook" I expect the behavior based on a contextual menu to be that it's created inside the stack, but it's not, I have to move the new notebook manually.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

The context menu is worse in this build. It works consistently between a note in its own window and a note in Evernote's main window, which is good, but the features are lacking.

For example, "Rename Attachment" is grayed out on PDF files! This is killer. I'll need to wait until I get to work and do everything with my Windows version.

Annotate and Annotate a copy are both missing. They exist for image attachments, but not PDFs.

I also just noticed that for old PDFs that were already in EN, it works fine, but these new PDFs I just scanned this morning have this crippled menu. See the menus here.

Ok, there is some sort of delay happening. I just put in a new PDF file and the same thing is happening, but the PDF files I scanned in half an hour ago work fine now.

What is this delay? None of the PDFs were put in EN through this Mac. The scanned PDFs were scanned in on a Windows PC and uploaded then sync'd to the Mac, and the most recent one was clipped from the web, so in both cases they came through the EN server to get to the Mac. Is there some sort of indexing that has to happen that your servers are slow on this morning, or is there an issue with beta 4?

Also, the Annotate icon is back too on the "old" scans. The new scan still cannot be annotated as I type this, but probably will be able to in 15-20min.

Just wanna ask if I can view my note by emoji?

I ask this because I tag my note with emoji.

In iOS version I can view all notes with emoji tag except some in Mac version.

I have already told the team through email and they said they would fix that.

Just out of curiosity to ask if this bug is fixed in v6.2.

No matter if it is solved, I am still looking forward to the upcoming version!

• Level 5*

Thank you for going back to showing tags all the time. This is very much appreciated. On my Mac, the tags "jump up" a few pixels when I click the tag field and the filed is expanded to use the while line (also very useful!). The tags and the field border then overlap.

Yup.  We also noticed this and are working to fix it.  It's actually not that trivial and is some weird artifact of the way Apple OS controls work so we're going to have to do a bunch of work to work around it.  We've figured out the issue last night and will work today to try to fix it before release.

Marcus, may I suggest an alternate approach for tag display?

Why not just show all tags with a word-wrap, auto vertical expansion (more lines as needed) all the time, not just when the user clicks on the Tags field?

This way the Tag area is minimized for those users who don't use tags, or only use a very few.

For those of use that often use a lot of tags, we don't mind the extra screen space being used because Tags are very important to us.

At least that's how I feel, and I'm guessing that many other tag users feel the same.

Here's my use case:

• For long Notes (articles) that I have web clipped, typed, or pasted from other sources, as I am reading/reviewing the Note I realize that it should have certain tags.
  • I don't always remember what tags have already been assigned to the Note.
  • So, as I'm reading/editing, I need to quickly look up to the Note header to confirm which tags have been assigned.
  • Clicking in the Tag area can cause me to loose my place in the Note where I was reading/editing.

Thanks for considering this approach.

• Level 5*

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but you can always revert the auto formatting by pressing undo.  i.e. If you type "1. " it becomes a numbered list.  However, if you press "CMD+Z" it removes the list formatting and gives you back "1. "

I agree with @Stuhrer -- I don't like these so-called shortcuts -- which are really just left-over remnants of the Markdown feature which you removed (thankfully).

I don't see the utility.

We already have nice shortcut keys (CMD+SHIFT-U and CMD+SHIFT-O) to make the line be a bullet or numbered list.

Why add confusion that then requires more work to undo?  It might even lead some to the incorrect conclusion that Markdown is supported.

And for those users who really just want plain text to enter Markdown codes (that they can copy/paste elsewhere), it also compounds the problem.

I very often use numbers at the beginning of a line that I do NOT want to be a numbered list.

Please keep in mind the KISS principle, and remove these new shortcuts.

Thanks.

We’re getting very close to releasing version 6.2 to everyone so please let us know if you see any issues in this beta.  

Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts

Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).

Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).

So this is what is left from your Markdown feature. Honestly, I don't like it. I use numbers for headings quite often and now I guess this will always turn into a numbered list which is not what I want. I will probably need to fool the editor by starting a line with some dummy letter followed by a number and remove the dummy. Not nice. Please rethink this and wait until you have a fully fetched Markdown feature ready if this still is what you are planning.

Thanks for reporting this.  We are doing a massive reindexing of all your notes when you first launch Beta 4.  Even though we worked hard to lower the CPU impact it's possible this could still be impacting other things like maybe the menu item.  Also if it's a large note we may not be able to set the menu correctly until it's fully synced.  We did discuss this issue in our dev meeting today and we're doing some more investigation in this area.  We don't think this should be working any differently than previous releases.

I like the new position of work chat at the bottom! Also being able to see the last chats is very handy! However, I hoped that the problem with not seeing all contact pictures would have been solved in this update, but for me it is still there. I can see all the profile pictures of my colleagues in work chat on my iPhone, but on the Mac some have the green icon with the first letter of their last name in it instead of their profile picture ...

This is interesting.  We'll investigate this more.  Thanks for reporting it.

Thank you for going back to showing tags all the time. This is very much appreciated. On my Mac, the tags "jump up" a few pixels when I click the tag field and the filed is expanded to use the while line (also very useful!). The tags and the field border then overlap.

Yup.  We also noticed this and are working to fix it.  It's actually not that trivial and is some weird artifact of the way Apple OS controls work so we're going to have to do a bunch of work to work around it.  We've figured out the issue last night and will work today to try to fix it before release.

Pasting around 3,000 lines of plain text (no formatting) into a new Evernote note takes nearly a full minute. Pasting the same text into a BBEdit window takes just 4 seconds.

I noticed this in Betas 1 and 2 but attributed the delay to the Markdown support which has since been removed from this version. Although you are still scanning inserted text (though simply for the new "*"/bullet and "1."/numbered list auto-formats), large text insertions should not be taking quite this long.

There seems to be a performance problem that may be worth addressing before releasing this.

In Version 6.2 Beta 4 (452622 Direct), when dragging images from another application into a note, the scroll position of the note changes in ways that don't make sense. For example, sometimes, adding an image to the end repositions the note to the beginning, so to construct a note from a sequence of dragged images requires re-scrolling from the beginning to the end of the note with each insertion.

• Level 5*

I like the new position of work chat at the bottom! Also being able to see the last chats is very handy! However, I hoped that the problem with not seeing all contact pictures would have been solved in this update, but for me it is still there. I can see all the profile pictures of my colleagues in work chat on my iPhone, but on the Mac some have the green icon with the first letter of their last name in it instead of their profile picture ...

• Level 5

Finally we added some text-editing shortcuts

Type an asterisk and hit space to create a bulleted list. (“* ”).

Type a number then a period and hit space to get a numbered list. (“1. ”).

So this is what is left from your Markdown feature. Honestly, I don't like it. I use numbers for headings quite often and now I guess this will always turn into a numbered list which is not what I want. I will probably need to fool the editor by starting a line with some dummy letter followed by a number and remove the dummy. Not nice. Please rethink this and wait until you have a fully fetched Markdown feature ready if this still is what you are planning.

Thank you for restoring the old tag display behavior – and reviving the visibility of creation and update info above the notes. Much preferred.

It might be nice if you could still increase the visual intensity of the formatting icons as per b3 – perhaps by making the formatting bar a couple of pixels deeper so the icons could be ever so slightly enlarged.

BTW Reindexing was very fast and performance seems very snappy in this new beta.

I'm on a 2012 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM. I left it running and ran some errands. I did try killing it and relaunching it plus rebooting. It still ate up all the resources and the UI was unresponsive.

I'll check when I get home.

We did care about users on Macbook Air, and use old models of Macbook Air with dual cores and even less RAM to test internally, against accounts with lots of notes, and accounts with smaller number of notes but with big attachments.  Still, our testing might not be comprehensive, and we would like to know how it works out for real users including you.  We do expect an initial CPU spike for some users as Marcus mentioned in the release note, but expect the usage will drop after a couple of minutes.  Also, the reindexing is supposed to run at background and not blocking UI.

However, our testing might not be comprehensive, and we would like to know how it works out for real users including you.  Do you mind letting us know how long the app run at high CPU usage?  Is this the first-time sync or your account has already downsynced everything before this upgrade?  If OK, please send your activity log, and better with the process sampling result to Marcus.  We would definitely want to take a look.  Thanks.

Btw, here is how to get a sampling for a unresponsive process on Mac: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/activitymonitor.html#AM-Sample-Process

Here's a problem with the "automatic numbered lists" feature. I just now ran into this trying to put together documentation for a moderately complex set of steps necessary to install a software update on a server.

1. here is a numbered item
  2. Here is another numbered item

this is supposed to be a paragraph under a numbered item. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to "indent" paragraphs other than hitting "tab" to indent just the first line. I'm going to keep typing at this point just to ensure that the line "wraps" when you view this post on the Evernote forum.

1. Here is the third numbered item.
  2. If I were to position the cursor at the end of the line for item 2 and hit "enter", it would create a new numbered item, "3.", for me, however, I would then need to manually renumber the now-misnumbered "3." and "4." items that follow it. This is not convenient. 

The same goes for bulleted lists:

• Here is a bullet.
          Once again, I'm trying to type a paragraph that's part of the bulleted item, so I hit "tab" to indent the first line, but as you can see, the paragraph wraps to the beginning of the line, not the beginning of the indented line. Again, I'm going to keep typing for a while so you can see how the paragraph wraps.

Given these issues, I want my numbered items to be flush on the left margin. To make that happen, though, either I type "1. " and then CMD-Z (to "undo" the automatic indenting/numbering), or to enter the line as follows:

. here is a numbered item

then position the cursor to the beginning of the line and type "1":

1. here is a numbered item

This is not convenient, either.

Here's what I suggest.

First, drop out the automatic conversion of a typed "<number>." to an auto-indented, auto-numbered list, and "* " to an auto-indented bullet list. It just gets in the way.

Second, add a feature that allows us to indent paragraphs This is typically done in other software with CMD-] to indent one stop and CMD-[ to undent. It seems really silly that a "rich text" editor provides no way to do this!

Trying out the new beta. Thanks. 

I actually use the "* " shortcut, but it's not that big a thing for me one way or the other. The big thing I was hoping to get (and would still love to get) is support for preformatted code and quoted text (like an email or something copied from somewhere). I've had trouble with this in the past including "--" becoming one long dash. On the last beta I tried `test` but was never quite sure if it was working. Interestingly, it currently seems that if I paste something with -- it stays a --, but if I try to type it, it gets merged. 

I do a lot of work programming, and being able to accurately save snippets of code and snippets of output is a big deal. The easier it is to do, the better things are for me. 

Thanks. 

I have more than 7000 notes and the re-index process really spends lots of time (approx. 500 notes/5mins). I am not sure whether it is a bug.

We intentionally move the re-indexing to background as non-critical tasks, and slow down the process to reduce the CPU impact.  Also, the reindexing will take place from newest notes to oldest notes.  We hope it will not affect the users workflow.

• Level 5*

How do we know when it is done? I have a Macbook (2015) and I have no clue when it is busy. There is no HD light and indexing isn't a particularly processor intensive activity. I have almost 8,000 notes at around 7GB in size. I didn't leave it open for a long period of time, maybe 30-45min max before I closed the lid and went to work.

We do emit a completion message in activity log, but not via UI.  You don't need to wait for the completion, nor leave it open at night.  The reindexing will continue when you open the lid again.  Even if you quit the app, it will pick up the job when you open the app again.  For most users, we hope the reindexing will go unnoticeably.

Why not just show all tags with a word-wrap, auto vertical expansion (more lines as needed) all the time, not just when the user clicks on the Tags field?

This way the Tag area is minimized for those users who don't use tags, or only use a very few.

For those of use that often use a lot of tags, we don't mind the extra screen space being used because Tags are very important to us.

At least that's how I feel, and I'm guessing that many other tag users feel the same.

Here's my use case:

• For long Notes (articles) that I have web clipped, typed, or pasted from other sources, as I am reading/reviewing the Note I realize that it should have certain tags.
  • I don't always remember what tags have already been assigned to the Note.
  • So, as I'm reading/editing, I need to quickly look up to the Note header to confirm which tags have been assigned.
  • Clicking in the Tag area can cause me to loose my place in the Note where I was reading/editing.

Thanks for considering this approach.

Thanks for the suggestion.  What do others think of this idea?  I'd be concerned about it filling up the entire screen since this part doesn't scroll so you might be left with very little room to edit the note.   If we did this we probably would need to provide a way for you to collapse the tag area since you may not always want all tags to show.

Just wanna ask if I can view my note by emoji?

I ask this because I tag my note with emoji.

In iOS version I can view all notes with emoji tag except some in Mac version.

I have already told the team through email and they said they would fix that.

Just out of curiosity to ask if this bug is fixed in v6.2.

No matter if it is solved, I am still looking forward to the upcoming version!

Interesting.  I never heard of anyone wanting to use emoji for tags but that's a pretty cool idea.  I just tried the note list tag filter and it doesn't work so this is still broken.    

Mine got stuck at "migrating" — had to force quit it, and then it launched with no problems.

I've seen this before too.  Not sure what's going on.  Thanks for reporting this.

• Level 5

I've had trouble with this in the past including "--" becoming one long dash. [...] Interestingly, it currently seems that if I paste something with -- it stays a --, but if I try to type it, it gets merged.

Thanks. I should have gotten that before. 

By "massive", do you mean cranking at 130% CPU with the Evernote app being entirely unusable? I've got 1300 notes and it's crushing my MacBook Air. Fine if it's just reindexing and will stop before long...

This is what we were hoping to avoid.  Is it still cranking at 130% CPU.  Have you tried quitting Evernote and starting over again?  If you did does it improve the CPU issue?  The issue is we're trying to tradeoff CPU impact vs speed to complete reindexing.  Search could be broken especially with international character sets if we haven't finished reindexing so we do want to complete the process as quickly as possible.  What model Mac Book Air do you have?

• Level 5*

Thanks for the suggestion.  What do others think of this idea?  I'd be concerned about it filling up the entire screen since this part doesn't scroll so you might be left with very little room to edit the note.   If we did this we probably would need to provide a way for you to collapse the tag area since you may not always want all tags to show.

Marcus, I think I must not have been clear in my Tag display approach.

I am not talking about displaying all tags in the users account, only the tags assigned to the Note.

So, assuming you could show about 5-6 tags per line, I think it would be very, very rare to require more than 2 lines (rows) to display the tags assigned to the Note.

Marcus, I think I must not have been clear in my Tag display approach.

I am not talking about displaying all tags in the users account, only the tags assigned to the Note.

So, assuming you could show about 5-6 tags per line, I think it would be very, very rare to require more than 2 lines (rows) to display the tags assigned to the Note.

You were clear.  I understood.  Since I'm not a tag person I was thinking that some people might have a lot of tags but you're probably right that most will only have 5 or 6 per note.  The only question is what happens when the window is shrunk so only 1 tag can fit and then they get stacked to 5 to 6 lines high.    

Archived