(Archived) Sharing notebooks between premium and free accounts

Sharing a notebook between a premium account and free account- is text within the pdfs searchable to the free account user? Are files accessible to the free account user?

If not, can the free account user upload the pdf, and then the premium user access the text?

If a Premium user shares a notebook with a Free account, then the Free user can access the notebook through the web. Any content in that account should be searchable via the web for the Free user. If either person puts a scanned PDF into the shared notebook, it will be queued for OCR. This feature is enabled based on the account level of the owner of the notebook.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to have a single account that all users share, 'cause last time one of our employees left they just stopped sharing the notes with the business group and took the notes with him. My idea was to have a general business account that would belong to the company and share it out to the staff. When an employee leaves the group, I would have control over the notes. We have a tight group that needs to share notes with each other so we can all search and reference our info. If our entire group got premium subscriptions will we be able to not only share via we but also through PC, MAC and phone? That's one of the major reasons why we're looking at EverNote!! Otherwise we'd just stick to Google documents or something like that.

This is really bad...In fact my team mate had to share something to me....and I don't have that much notes usage, still I'll have to pay to get it on the app.

May be EN might be thinking this as a way to hook up more people to the premium a/c????

This is really bad...In fact my team mate had to share something to me....and I don't have that much notes usage, still I'll have to pay to get it on the app.

May be EN might be thinking this as a way to hook up more people to the premium a/c????

Please re-read Dave's reply he posted above:

Yes ... if you have a Premium account, you can share a writable notebook with a Free user, and they'll be able to create new notes (via the web only).

You don't have to have a premium account to use a notebook shared to you.

Having said that...there is nothing wrong with Evernote adding other options as enticements to attract paying customers.

• 11 months later...

So am I reading this correctly--if a premium user shares a notebook with a non premium user they can only make additions or changes via the web, not their desktop client?

Actually, it wouldn't matter whether the other user was premium or not--the user who the notebook is being "shared" with would always have to view the notebook through the web and not the desktop?

the user who the notebook is being "shared" with would always have to view the notebook through the web and not the desktop?

Currently, notebooks shared to you can only be viewed from the web or Mac clients. They are working on adding them to other clients, including Windows. No ETA on that, though.

• 2 weeks later...

One more vote from paying customer to get shared notebooks viewable across multiple platforms. The only reason I subscribed was under the (mistaken) assumption that a notebook shared to another user would actually be accessible to that user via the client apps that you have created.

Specifically, I would like my wife to be able to log into HER Evernote account from her Android phone using the Evernote Android app and see the notebook I have shared with her. Turns out she can't get to it that way nor can she get to it using the Android browser as that is an unsupported platform. To me the point of sharing is ubiquitous access, which is not what is being provided. Because of that, my subscription is basically worthless (to me - the free features would be good enough).

One usability comment...when logging in from a browser, it is a little weird that 'Shared' notebooks show up under a separate section and that selecting the shared notebook redirects to a new browser instance/page. Why wouldn't it be available from the same page?

• Level 5*

As has been mentioned (many times) before - shared notebooks will appear on every platform, but it takes time.

There is no need to vote, add a +1 - it's coming anyway.

As has been mentioned (many times) before - shared notebooks will appear on every platform, but it takes time.

There is no need to vote, add a +1 - it's coming anyway.

Hmmm. Weird that a non-employee knows the development roadmap/feature prioritization for this product. Since you seem to be in the know, do you have a timeline for when this will be available?

Not my business, but as a software product manager that manages the development of database-driven web applications, it seems really weird to me that this functionality doesn't come for 'free'. The client applications should simply be getting data from the hub - and the hub should be enumerating and serving the data a user has rights to. When I share a notebook with a known user, the notebook should just show up in that user's list of notebooks. If client apps have to change for this to be enabled, there's got to be some architectural issues in the product.

Hmmm. Weird that a non-employee knows the development roadmap/feature prioritization for this product. Since you seem to be in the know, do you have a timeline for when this will be available?

Not my business, but as a software product manager that manages the development of database-driven web applications, it seems really weird to me that this functionality doesn't come for 'free'. The client applications should simply be getting data from the hub - and the hub should be enumerating and serving the data a user has rights to. When I share a notebook with a known user, the notebook should just show up in that user's list of notebooks. If client apps have to change for this to be enabled, there's got to be some architectural issues in the product.

I don't know why you think that's "weird." It's been stated by Dave Engberg, CTO of EN many times on the board. For starters:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21657&p=92519&hilit=shared#p92519

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21119&p=89361&hilit=shared#p89361

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20883&p=88137&hilit=shared#p88137

Additionally, as stated many times before, EN does not publish ETAs.

And unless you work directly with the Evernote code, you really cannot state whether something should be easily implemented and/or is an architectural problem.

Easy there fanboy. I'm not interested in a flame war with someone that doesn't even work for the company. I'm interested in hearing from the people I gave my money to for a feature that is being sold but is clearly not done.

Specifically, I would like my wife to be able to log into HER Evernote account from her Android phone using the Evernote Android app and see the notebook I have shared with her.

The alpha version of the next Android client has the ability to access shared notebooks. Evernote doesn't publish timelines but your wife can download the alpha directly from Evernote and try it if she wishes. For me it works better than the one in the Android Market anyway.

Easy there fanboy. I'm not interested in a flame war with someone that doesn't even work for the company. I'm interested in hearing from the people I gave my money to for a feature that is being sold but is clearly not done.

This is hardly a flame war. I replied to an observation you made and a question.

BTW, this is a user's forum. So although EN employees regularly reply on this board, most of the replies are made by other users.

Also, "clearly not done" ??? This is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation. It's obviously a pretty big job to roll out the shared notebooks on all the platforms. They elected to roll them out as they have been completed & have been very up front about this. If they'd elected to wait until it's implemented on all platforms, there would still be no notebook sharing at this time.

We agree that this is a feature we want on all of our clients, and we're spending months of effort on each platform to make this happen. We chose not to delay launching it on the first client (Mac) until after we'd implemented it on the very last client. That's based on a general philosophy that it's best to just make things available as soon as possible, since we have different development teams for each platform.

Archived