Zotero and Evernote Workflow

ZempOh

Not sure if this is right place for this, but I have searched the internet far and wide, and repeatedly found a huge inefficiency in all academic workflows that no one has solved. Integration with Evernote and a refrence manager. Which is a real sham, because there are thousands of academics who are dying for this kind of integration, but I digress.

I have settled on Zotero as my refrence manager, as it is free and open source, and supports AppleScript, which I think holds the key to automating a high efficiency workflow.

I have spent hours researching and trying to come up with an efficient workflow that integrates Zotero and Evernote.

Does anyone have a good workflow? I want to store my annotated PDFs in Evernote, and use the note link from said PDF in Zotero. This way Zotero keeps track of my bibliography, and Evernote stores my annotated PDF.

My ideal workflow:

1. Import PDF into Zotero
  2. Generate Citation in Zotero
  3. Annotate that PDF with an external application
  4. Import that PDF into Evernote in appropriate notebook
  5. Tag PDF with appropriate tags
  6. Copy notelink from Evernote to the Zotero entry
  7. Delete the hard disk PDF (as it is now stored in the Evernote cloud)

While this workflow is great for organization, it is very, very inefficient. I have mucked around with AppleScript and Hazel, but have not come up with a script that would accomplish this workflow, nor the necessary logic to appropriately tag the imported PDF in Evernote.

I will pay anyone $20.00 (I'm a poor grad student) for a workable solution. A shell script would be the most universal fix for this kind of workflow, but would probably take the most time to produce.

Hi, I don't know if anyone is following this, but I created a pretty efficient workflow, and managed to get Evernote and Zotero to integrate a bit.

I did a little write-up on my personal blog. Check it out if you think it might be useful to you.

http://cdint.weebly.com/chris/staying-organized

The only thing really lacking is copying the notelink back to the zotero refrence. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

It's been more than a year since you've posted this workflow. How is it working out for you? It's better than anything I've been able to come up, but it's still quite complicated and I'm sure if I implement it I will likely fall back on other habits. I'm interested to hear how useful/easy you've found it and whether you are sticking to it still, or if you've found a better solution.

I love evernote for it's search, gathering and organizing capabilities, but I prefer zotero for my references because of the automatic metadata and Word integration. If only they can be efficiently combined in the way you describe conceptually.

Archived