Request to combine separate images together into a pdf, from within a note

Fowleronline

If this has been covered before, for Windows, I am unable to find it.

Yesterday I copied a 26 page booklet by photographing the pages, as documents, on my Android phone.  

I did this by opening a note and selecting camera, then taking the page images as documents.

I thought I would then be able to "reassemble" the booklet, from within the note so that I could send it on as an email attachment, I presumed as a pdf.  But I found I could not.  The receiver could not access a shared note or use a url link as their company restricts access to the internet for security.

A search seemed to show it was an available feature for Mac users, but not windows. 

I contacted support and had a chat.  It was quite long, but the end result was to send the note to print, and print it as a pdf using a third party application, (that was not adobe XI as I already have installed).  I had to download another piece of software that was free and recommended by the chat colleague.

I printed this file to a folder on my computer, then dragged and dropped it back into my note to sit alongside the 26 individual images!

This has been a problem for me before, but never such an important issue that I had to find a workaround.

If this has not been raised before as a suggested feature I would like to do so please.

If I have missed something obvious, I apologise, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to EN.

Thanks

Win 8.1 fully updated

EN Premium 5.9.1.8742

Samsung Note 3, Android 5.0

Martin

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure which way around to attack this,  but -

1. When you open Evenote mobile and tap the "+" button to add another note,  do you get the camera option to add a picture note?
  2. And if you select that option,  can you scan to the left and right to select from 'document' to 'camera' to .. other options?  (If you don't have other options,  you may not have the right subscription)
  3. If you can choose document camera,  use that to take pictures of all the pages of your document.  Put the pages on a contrasting background in a good light - preferably all natural or all electric.
  4. It will take a little while to process the pages,  but when you finish,  tap the tick/ check mark on the screen and scroll up to add a note title.  Congratulations,  your pages are now all in one note,  which you can send by email if you wish.

OR

1. Take your pictures on the device camera
  2. Use Adobe XI to combine the separate shots into one PDF
  3. email the PDF

This might help a bit - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209126827

- and the Help Center has lots of useful information you can search anyway...

Good luck!

Edit:  Just to be clear,  you can take as many pictures as you like using the document camera - when you finish they'll all be in one note,  but that will be as separate pictures,  not as one PDF file.  You can,  however,  email the whole note to a colleague who doesn't have to have Evernote to see the content,  or share it as a web page and just send them the URL of the note.  (More polite if there's a lot of pictures!)

• Level 5*

If this has been covered before, for Windows, I am unable to find it.

Yesterday I copied a 26 page booklet by photographing the pages, as documents, on my Android phone.  

I did this by opening a note and selecting camera, then taking the page images as documents.

I thought I would then be able to "reassemble" the booklet, from within the note so that I could send it on as an email attachment, I presumed as a pdf.  But I found I could not.  The receiver could not access a shared note or use a url link as their company restricts access to the internet for security.

I don't think that Evernote can currently provide a good solution to your needs.

Here's what I'd suggest:

1. If possible, do all heavy-duty scanning on your PC using a good scanner and its app (not Evernote), that will result in a multi-page PDF.  I use and recommend Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners (but not the Evernote version).
  2. If you must use your phone, find an app that will "scan" multiple pages into a PDF.

Then, send the PDF to Evernote by one of several means.

Many of us long-time Evernote users have also found that it is beneficial to OCR the scanned PDF before putting into Evernote.

• Better OCR results
  • Makes PDF available for Evernote search almost immediately, whether you're premium or not.

Good luck.

Hi Gazumped and JMichael,

Thank you both for your replies.

Gazumped: I do exactly as you describe and get the same results you describe, so there is clearly no fault here.  

My ideal solution is to be able to email a pdf through to someone, but due to restrictions on the recipients PC, due to security and their restrictive internet access policy, they can only receive emails with certain attachments, and have no external access. (Government site!).

Your second options are another doable workaround, and quire similar to printing as a pdf.  If I knew I had no choice, I would probably have done what you said, but I actually thought it was just my lack of understanding of EN.

JMichael:  I have the Scansnap you describe and it is brilliant, perhaps that's why I thought I could combine all the pages into one pdf.  But my scanner is at home... The completed booklet was in a clients house and he was to keep the completed original.  

I just needed to get a copy and be able to email it.  

I do have an app you suggest (CamScan) which I used extensively prior to EN, and again this may be why I assumed I could create one pdf.  But like many people, I am trying to establish a firm EN habit as it does so much, very well.

Either way, I have a workaround for what I see as a missing function available elsewhere outside EN.  It also appears to be a function available to Mac users and not us Windows users, (thought I stand to be corrected).

I would just find it a really useful function, and perhaps others would too.  If suggestions are picked up off this forum, this is perhaps one of the easier ones to implement, as there are already numerous pdf based functions.  But then again I know nothing about the technical stuff!

Thanks for the replies folks, at least I know it's not me being thick!

Cheers

Martin

Archived