Request: Ability to search within current context (selected notebook or tag)

Neil Rutledge

Idea

On Evernote Windows, there is a simple "Search Current Context" setting that you can toggle and leave on. This allows you to click a notebook or tag, or combination (I do believe), and simply start typing into the search box to search within the currently visible notes. Please, please, please include this feature on Mac!

As a user, I expect to be able to filter within the currently visible notes without the need to create an advanced search query/selection - I've already gone to the trouble of drilling into a notebook/tag. A simple toggle setting (like in Windows Evernote) keeps everyone happy.

10 replies to this idea

So no one else desires the ability to search within a tag (by clicking a tag and searching)? It seems like such a basic function to be able to search within the current context/view.

Edit: I just discovered that cmd clicking on a tag will filter the search results by the tag. Great feature! (It would still be ideal if you could turn on a "search current context" option that allowed you to search directly within the visible notes - but this achieves the same result.)

• Level 5*
On 10/25/2015 at 1:51 PM, Neil Rutledge said:

On Evernote Windows, there is a simple "Search Current Context" setting that you can toggle and leave on. This allows you to click a notebook or tag, or combination (I do believe), and simply start typing into the search box to search within the currently visible notes.

I agree EN Macs needs the same search context as EN Win.  EN Mac also needs the proper display of the current filter.  EN Mac shows "All Notes" even when a tag filter is set.

I'd like to see EN Mac show the same info as EN Win:

EN-Win-5.9.6-Tag-Filter.png

I have been looking forward to moving from Windows to Mac - but have not done yet.  But then I was trying to sell a family member on Evernote (they already have a Mac) - explaining how powerful search features finally allow you to sift through all of the info you keep.  But then I couldn't replicate easy search practices on the Mac - which kind of took the wind out of my explanation.  So I agree that porting Windows search features to Mac should be considered a must.  What is the point of having volumes of information if it's going to be cumbersome to find what you're looking for?  So yes - I would really like to see the newest Windows search features on Mac - which were just updated in a major Evernote Windows release (6.1.2) that further improved on the search-in-context features.

I still cannot believe there is no quick way to search within the current context, or tag.

Notebooks are extremely limited, forcing people to use tags for organization...but Evernote Mac doesn't provide a way to search within tags without extremely tedious extra steps.

I've made the switch back to OneNote for the time being and am finding it a huge relief to be able to just click into a section and search within.

Evernote Mac team, WHY has this option not made its way to Mac yet?

Let's compare performing a search on a tag in Bear (could just as easily be OneNote) to Evernote:

Find something within a tag in Bear:

1. Click tag and realize list is very long.
  2. Enter search phrase to filter results.
  3. Filtered results within tag are displayed.

Find something within a tag in Evernote:

1. Click tag and realize list is very long.
  2. Attempt to search within the tag (fail, there is no immediate option).
  3. Manually key tag into search box (slow and redundant).
  4. Select tag from search results.
  5. Enter search phrase to filter results.
  6. Filtered results within tag are displayed.
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Neil Rutledge said:

Evernote Mac team, WHY has this option not made its way to Mac yet?

Maybe because this request hasn't received support from the user population.
Feel free to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.  Currently there are  5aa34ec0d51d0_ScreenShot2018-03-09at19_16_58.png.49a2e5e9bc0eee50c404dffe1dd36747.png   votes

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Maybe because this request hasn't received support from the user population/

Yeah, I get that. Donald Trump is proof that voting systems don't always work. :P

From a UX standpoint, this just seems like such a low effort, high impact feature (one that rolled out to Evernote Windows years ago).

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-09 at 7:30 PM, Neil Rutledge said:

voting systems don't always work

While not a perfect system, I think votes are a good indication of the population's opinion. This also applies to the Evernote feature requests.

These forums have been set by Evernote for feedback from the usersn we should use the voting system to indicate our support for feature requests.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

While not a perfect system, I think votes are a good indication of the population's opinion. 

Agreed, in so much as I cannot readily think of a better system. Just the same as, although Evernote is not a perfect app (and I find myself constantly frustrated by various UX issues), it is still the best overall note taking app.

Archived