(Archived) REQUEST: OneNote user wish list

Well I just finished eval'ing evernote with high hopes. Unfortunately we're missing some important stuff that I feel is required before I can switch.

1. Encryption, encryption, encryption... I want to be able to encrypt entire notes (with attachments), notebooks, and the entire evernote database on the HD. Furthermore I would require my information to be encrypted on your servers with a key that only I possess so that I am the only one that can get to anything (not even your employees need to even have the option to see my content). And hell, I'd pay $5 a month extra (thats double) to be given a hard token for extra security. I use OneNote on a truecrypt volume now witch is kind of a pain. So if you provided all this it would be a big bonus. I store everything important and sensitive in OneNote so I cant even think of switching until all of this gets done.

2. Notebooks with folders, sub-notebooks that have their own folders and more sub-sub-sub notebooks all with their own folders and sub notebooks. I'm not interested in a discussion of folders vs. tags. I prefer folders. Period. It works better for me for what I do with my content and from a customer stand point I shouldnt need to justify anything. (Bitching at some of the other forum users here, not EN people). Besides I have 3 metric tons of stuff in my OneNote all perfectly organized. It would be a near impossible task to reorg. all of that into tags. Not happening.

3. Storage and monthly upload limits. Get rid of it or at least make it effectively something that you'd have to TRY to hit. Definitely get rid of the limits for the first few months on a new account so we can get moved over. I'm up to 5GB and counting of notes containing everything from PDFs to emails to zip files to a ton of scanned images and everything else under the sun. I wouldnt want to pay for my account for 10 months just to get everything up on the servers; and thats not counting anything I add during those ten months. Storage is cheap these days. $50 a year for backblaze for as much as you can upload to them. The 500 meg a month for $45 here feels like a joke in comparison. The 25 meg per note limit needs to go as well. I've got scanned PDFs or image series bigger than that. Another deal breaker.

Really the only things that you've got going for you over OneNote is the web access, syncing, and more platforms than just the windows box and the windows mobile phone. You're behind right now IMO... But if you knock out the above items you will be the hands down victor. GOTTA have encryption, gotta have nested organization structures, and gotta trash the transfer and storage limits.

Sorry if this has come off as harsh. It wasnt written to be that way. Just direct. If I didnt think your product had the potential to spank OneNote I wouldt have spent 20 minutes on this post to help you out.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys do in the future. In the mean time its back to OneNote with me.

Thanks,

-Patrick

Well I just finished eval'ing evernote with high hopes. Unfortunately we're missing some important stuff that I feel is required before I can switch.

1. Encryption, encryption, encryption... I want to be able to encrypt entire notes (with attachments), notebooks, and the entire evernote database on the HD. Furthermore I would require my information to be encrypted on your servers with a key that only I possess so that I am the only one that can get to anything (not even your employees need to even have the option to see my content). And hell, I'd pay $5 a month extra (thats double) to be given a hard token for extra security. I use OneNote on a truecrypt volume now witch is kind of a pain. So if you provided all this it would be a big bonus. I store everything important and sensitive in OneNote so I cant even think of switching until all of this gets done.

2. Notebooks with folders, sub-notebooks that have their own folders and more sub-sub-sub notebooks all with their own folders and sub notebooks. I'm not interested in a discussion of folders vs. tags. I prefer folders. Period. It works better for me for what I do with my content and from a customer stand point I shouldnt need to justify anything. (Bitching at some of the other forum users here, not EN people). Besides I have 3 metric tons of stuff in my OneNote all perfectly organized. It would be a near impossible task to reorg. all of that into tags. Not happening.

3. Storage and monthly upload limits. Get rid of it or at least make it effectively something that you'd have to TRY to hit. Definitely get rid of the limits for the first few months on a new account so we can get moved over. I'm up to 5GB and counting of notes containing everything from PDFs to emails to zip files to a ton of scanned images and everything else under the sun. I wouldnt want to pay for my account for 10 months just to get everything up on the servers; and thats not counting anything I add during those ten months. Storage is cheap these days. $50 a year for backblaze for as much as you can upload to them. The 500 meg a month for $45 here feels like a joke in comparison. The 25 meg per note limit needs to go as well. I've got scanned PDFs or image series bigger than that. Another deal breaker.

Really the only things that you've got going for you over OneNote is the web access, syncing, and more platforms than just the windows box and the windows mobile phone. You're behind right now IMO... But if you knock out the above items you will be the hands down victor. GOTTA have encryption, gotta have nested organization structures, and gotta trash the transfer and storage limits.

Sorry if this has come off as harsh. It wasnt written to be that way. Just direct. If I didnt think your product had the potential to spank OneNote I wouldt have spent 20 minutes on this post to help you out.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys do in the future. In the mean time its back to OneNote with me.

Thanks,

-Patrick

I completely agree with #1 and #2. Since there is no #2, I haven't used the app much so I haven't experienced #3.

Awesome post. Completely agree with all points. Lack of folders is ridiculous, and needs to be remedied, security is weak, and upload limits are a joke. As I posted on another thread, the value of this subscription looks weak compared to other storage options, such as Dropbox.

Lack of folders is ridiculous, and needs to be remedied, security is weak, and upload limits are a joke. As I posted on another thread, the value of this subscription looks weak compared to other storage options, such as Dropbox.

If I hated a software app so much, I'd definitely cut my losses & move on to find something that worked for me. But that's just me.

Really the only things that you've got going for you over OneNote is the web access, syncing, and more platforms than just the windows box and the windows mobile phone.

I have OneNote and EN. I never use OneNote, even though I don't really need any platform other than Windows. For me, EN has "going for it":

- a much cleaner, less cluttered and better UI (for me),

- real, highly-functional tagging*

- much faster data entry,

- better web capture -- with the ability to tag and organize as I capture without launching EN

- ability to easily import emails with all attachments intact

- ability to quickly see a list sortable list of all notes on one subject, along with date created (when I used ON, I always wanted to do this -- there is a powertoy that you can use to do this but it's sad when you need a powertoy add-on to generate a list of your notes).

*When I say "real tagging" I am talking about delicious-style tags: the ability to create hundreds of tags and apply many of them, easily, to the same topic. OneNote just doesn't have that type of interface. It's slow to create a new tag in OneNote, and you can only see 3 or 4 tags at a time in the tag list. Compare the way delicious does it, or most blogs like lifehacker or gizmodo. That's the way I like to organize my data, and OneNote can't handle it. EN is betting that this tagging metaphor is the way of the future. I am historically terrible at predicting future tech trends, but I think that the fact that gmail is following the same approach means that EN is probably right.

However, if tags don't work for you, and you'd rather use 3 sets of tabs (one on the top, one on the left, one on the right) for organizing your data, then OneNote is probably great for you. For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would think that 3 different layers of tabs surrounding my text frame is a model of good UI. But again, that's just my opinion.

For those asking for folders, I am confused about why you like OneNote so much. OneNote doesn't have folders either. It has a confusing (to me) mix of 'notebooks', 'sections', and 'pages'. It seems odd to call that mix of metaphors "heirarchical" and -- at the same time -- to claim that EN's tags -- which are organized in a classic tree view -- lack heirarchy.

Patrick -

Your use case with regard to storing files is interesting to me. I've always kept my files in the file system (and sync'd them around with some tool or another) and my notes in OneNote/Evernote. (This is just out of habit, not intent.) Do you use Evernote for file storage even when they're not related to some type of note, e.g. purely for storage and retrieval?

If so, curious more about how you organize them in Evernote.

Regards

For those asking for folders, I am confused about why you like OneNote so much. OneNote doesn't have folders either. It has a confusing (to me) mix of 'notebooks', 'sections', and 'pages'. It seems odd to call that mix of metaphors "heirarchical" and -- at the same time -- to claim that EN's tags -- which are organized in a classic tree view -- lack heirarchy.

Onenote has a real, albeit limited, hierarchy, based on an attempt to replicate on the computer some aspects of real (physical) world note-taking practices. Notebooks contain section groups, which contain sections, which contain pages, which contain sub-pages. Evernote has a fake hierarchy: tag names can be visually shifted to look like they are under others, but absolutely nothing happens as a consequence of fake 'containment' (this is by far the worst aspect of Evernote in my opinion).

Onenote's real-world inspiration results in it doing some things very well. It's a great replacement for a physical notebook, with a fantastically intuitive drawing/writing surface, and clean and easy ways to organise notes you're working on. It's nowhere near as good a capture tool as Evernote however: organising and then finding masses of heterogenous scraps is not its forte. I tried shifting entirely to Onenote some time ago, because of its excellence for note creation, but found it just too cumbersome for clipping, capture, etc.

I see the 2 apps as having different strengths. Onenote is in a different league from Evernote for purposes of note creation within projects; Evernote is a much better general-purpose capture and storage tool. I'd love something that did both well, but for now I find it necessary to use them in parallel (even though, using a Mac, that means I have to run Onenote in a virtual machine).

hi all,

i've read a lot in this forum, but not all.

to pick up the subject "* wish list", i'd like to know, if there is/are any collected whishlists around here.

its pretty simple to post a thread with some whishes, but with all the thousands of posts, it can be very unclear/confusing what (all or mostly) users want/need.

so a collected list would be a nice little help (although i'm not the one, who will collect all the whiches) and the priorisation could be done by voting.

just an idea, because every new user (like me) has whiches, (which are sometimes already included) and therefore we could have a sticky thread to inform about all our whiches belonging to EN :)

cheers,

[Evernote vs OneNote] I see the 2 apps as having different strengths.

I do too & I use both. I pretty much have EN up & running 24/7 & used repeatedly every single day. OneNote resides in the taskbar. It's not used daily but probably used an average of five times a week. IMO, OneNote is good for brainstorming projects where emails, web searches, MS Project files, Visio files, etc are involved. Everything is stored in one place and double clicking the links to the files invokes the various programs (as needed) rather than having to do it manually.

OTOH, IMO, Evernote is amazing for notes that pretty much stand on their own merit.

Another thing I've done on occasion is use OneNote to brainstorm a project, such as the backup system for work. But once everything is in place, I'll create a final report/synopsis page that is stored in EN, so I can quickly access what was ultimately chosen & how it works in our company. Once decisions have been made, products purchased & procedures put into place, I'm normally going to only need to reference how the system works, rather than the detailed notes about why a particular product was chosen or not chosen. (However, there may be brief notes in the synopsis page about why something was or was not chosen with intricate details omitted.) And I don't want to have to filter through the notes taken during the research stage to find the process of how it's working, now.

OTOH, IMO, Evernote is amazing for notes that pretty much stand on their own merit

Agreed. This is not far off being equivalent to saying that Evernote is well suited to storage and search, but is however a bit limited for creation of conceptual or project work (which is frequently all about interconnection). Dave Engberg more or less admits this: when challenged on the subnotebooks issue, he generally defends on the grounds that Evernote offers plenty of facilities for searching as it is. But of course people don't generally want subnotebooks (or for that matter hyperlinks and other structure mechanisms) to facilitate search: they want means to build external representations of concepts, ideas, developing projects etc. (I don't have forum refs handy. Hope I'm not misrepresenting what DE has said).

Anyway, that's OK. Tools don't have to do everything under the sun. Like you, I don't use Onenote for permanent storage and reference. That's Evernote's job, and it's extremely good at it.

One Note and EN user.

Yeah, a hybrid I would love.

Now to the EN folks, what would get me to go Pro? The inability to encrypt a note or notebook on the web. I use this at work and need to keep certain things private. That simple. I would use OneNote less as well. (job ads, etc)

I would also like ability to draw with pen tool on imported documents, like pictures (jpg, png...) and pdf's. I really miss that future... For example: I'd like to take screenshot of some program and then draw circle or underline something, to draw attention to.

• 4 months later...
Patrick -

Your use case with regard to storing files is interesting to me. I've always kept my files in the file system (and sync'd them around with some tool or another) and my notes in OneNote/Evernote. (This is just out of habit, not intent.) Do you use Evernote for file storage even when they're not related to some type of note, e.g. purely for storage and retrieval?

If so, curious more about how you organize them in Evernote.

Regards

Let me preface this by saying that I still can not use Evernote for the above reasons... But if youre questions were referring to OneNote:

I wouldnt say that I use OneNote for straight up file storage or organization. But I do store tons of PDFs that I get from various sources... Some examples:

1. All invoices that I send to my customers first get printed to PDF and emailed to them. I drop the PDF along with a sent date under that customers OneNote -> Customers -> Invoices section.

2. I dont keep a large file structure in my email client. If there's something important I'll drag drop the email (.eml) file straight into one note instead of just copy pasting the content. That way all of the emails attributes (from addy, to addy, attachments, send and receive times, etc) stay intact. And I can comment on it if necessary. This is not to say I've got hundreds of email files in my onenote... Just important stuff.

3. Sometimes if its a small .zip file (lets say for example a group of web pages a client sent me to use as a starting point for their site) I'll just drop that in under that clients file.

4. Random files of god knows what type. For example, my daughter made a FruityLoops (its a sound mixing and looping app, google it) song that was really good and I wanted to keep it as a keep sake. I have a special notebook for my daughter in onenote with a special folder for keepsakes just like this that I dropped that little song in. It's got all kinds of other neat stuff shes done over the years in there. Her first drawings scanned in, fruity loops songs, school papers, powerpoint presentations, even a zip file containing the first program I taught her how to code.

Hope that answers your questions. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I hop back on EverNotes site only every once in a while to see if they've upgraded with any of my OP's needs so I can switch to it.

Maybe someday.

-Patrick

OTOH, IMO, Evernote is amazing for notes that pretty much stand on their own merit. .

As this thread's got a bit of life in it again, just thought I'd chime in on something that's struck me anew lately. I've gone over to using Evernote exclusively since I have needed to use a Mac for most of my work (I've experimented with using Onenote in a virtual machine, or using Crossover or something, but it's so much more fluid to use platform-native apps). And for me, the fact is when creating notes within a project context, the above is almost never true; that is, almost all notes are related to each other, needing links or (at the very least) being placed in common categories, or (even better) manually ordered with respect to each other.

For these purposes, Evernote is a bit of a pain (compared to Onenote). Having to remember to tag every note manually (rather than just 'working inside' a particular subfolder that's relevant to the part of the project being worked on), requires a discipline that I'd rather apply to the work than the tool I'm using. Tags are not the most natural way of expressing this kind of project work. Which isn't to say they are not tweakable in the right direction. The 'hide unassigned tags' feature, for example, is very helpful here, in that it reduces the visibility of extra-project context (assuming a notebook-per-project model).

Perhaps other tweaks could help those of us who want to take notes as opposed to just capturing them. Restricting context is probably one key. An example off the top of my head could be a facility to temporarily lock EN to a context, which might include a notebook and tags. You would only see the notebook currently 'opened'/locked, and new notes would be created in that notebook, with the currently-selected tags automatically applied.

OTOH, IMO, Evernote is amazing for notes that pretty much stand on their own merit. .

And for me, the fact is when creating notes within a project context, the above is almost never true; that is, almost all notes are related to each other, needing links or (at the very least) being placed in common categories, or (even better) manually ordered with respect to each other.

For these purposes, Evernote is a bit of a pain (compared to Onenote).

I thought that was my point. As I stated in the above post, I do use Onenote for brainstorming. But yeah, if a note pretty much stands on it's own merit (even if it includes multiple attachments such as an mp4 file, a PDF file & some text), IMO, it's a better candidate for Evernote than Onenote. OTOH, when brainstorming for a project & regularly having to re-read emails from various people, write up documentation in Word & build a MS Project file, then I'll use Onenote.

I thought that was my point. As I stated in the above post, I do use Onenote for brainstorming. But yeah, if a note pretty much stands on it's own merit (even if it includes multiple attachments such as an mp4 file, a PDF file & some text), IMO, it's a better candidate for Evernote than Onenote.

Yes, I wasn't disagreeing with you (sorry if I was unclear). Just expanding on my recent thoughts and experiences.

When I was using a PC, I had pretty much settled on Onenote for project work, and Evernote for capturing and archiving. Moving recently to a Mac nearly full-time has really amplified for me how important EN's cross-platform/device capabilities are. EN has become my primary note-taking and capturing tool, and I'd love to see it tweaked where possible to make it better suited for the former purpose (without damaging its capacity for the latter). In addition to the points I made above, I'd like to see the note editor improved somewhat (Onenote's is marvellous).

...And MS is catching up. Just got OneNote 2010 which now has seamless syncing to your free LiveDrive. I can now access a notebook from anywhere from a browser, very easily.

Downsides:

1. No server side encryption. gah. So I cant store anything serious on it, but its really easy to drag - drop pages between my secure local notebooks and the public sync'd ones.

2. The web interface doesnt support some of the really important features of the client. (drawings, attachments)

Upsides:

1. 25GB free! No monthly UL limits.

-Patrick

• 2 months later...
Hey all.

I thought I'd check in to see about this new version that just came out... Are there any changes that address the issues discussed in the OP?

-Patrick

Unfortunately not. A new Windows version was just released, but it doesn't address any of your original requests. Evernote did announce that the Windows version paves the way for some "major" advances in the platform as a whole, so perhaps check back in 2011 to see where things stand.

• 2 weeks later...
I would also like ability to draw with pen tool on imported documents, like pictures (jpg, png...) and pdf's. I really miss that future... For example: I'd like to take screenshot of some program and then draw circle or underline something, to draw attention to.
Oh wow, I just discovered that I cant paste in a pic and then draw or type notes on top of it....

This type of functionality mentioned above would be hard for the Evernote team to implement considering how the Evernote application is cross-platform. While it may be possible to have a mini drawing application on the mobile versions of Evernote and saving the final output as an image file, I'm not sure how anyone could pull off this feature though.

I thought that was my point. As I stated in the above post, I do use Onenote for brainstorming. But yeah, if a note pretty much stands on it's own merit (even if it includes multiple attachments such as an mp4 file, a PDF file & some text), IMO, it's a better candidate for Evernote than Onenote. OTOH, when brainstorming for a project & regularly having to re-read emails from various people, write up documentation in Word & build a MS Project file, then I'll use Onenote.

I'm not entirely sure how one can read email while in OneNote. I don't remember seeing such functionality when I saw my friend typing up notes in OneNote while I was using a hybrid of World 2010 (Mac) and Evernote.

For those that need to annotate images and/or PDFs, you can easily open the attachment in your favorite app on either the Win or Mac platforms. Furthermore, apps dedicated to image processing and PDF annotation will always provide a superior capability to anything that EN might develop within EN.

HTH.

Hey all.

I thought I'd check in to see about this new version that just came out... Are there any changes that address the issues discussed in the OP?

-Patrick

Looks like folders are coming in the Mac 2.0 version in the form of notebook "stacks." I checked out an early alpha release, and it looks like just what the doctor ordered . . . I'm a very happy camper with this feature. It will roll out to other versions later, so I would imagine by early 2011 sharing and folders will be implemented across the platform. Very excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Not having folders/subfolders gave me fits at first (I have 15 OneNote notebooks, all with tabs, subtabs, etc.) But I'm finding that using tags/subtags, I've been able to replicate my OneNote set up pretty well. Now I just stay on the "All Notes" folder option and navigate using the tag tree structure. It's not quite as elegant as OneNote, but it works fine.

I'm beginning to see ways that Evernote is superior to OneNote, too. For example, I think Evernote's new clipping menu, that lets users tag and place notes copied from Outlook, Firefox, etc., is awesome. Saves tons of time for me. I also love the ability to save notes, photos, audio directly to Evernote from my Android and iPad. I feel like I haven't even started to dig into all the Evernote integration possibilities from various mobile apps.

And, Evernote is VASTLY superior in that it works across all my platforms (various Windows, Android, iPad) and includes cloud storage/web access. (I understand ON2010 has improved in this respect, but I don't think it's comparable.)

Still, as a long-time OneNote user, I have a long list of things I wish Evernote would do:

-- Create tables by tabbing

-- Audio notes that link with written notes, so you can click on a note and hear what was being said as you made it

-- Tags for specific pieces of text, not just whole notes

-- Word count (I have a OneNote add-in for this)

-- Send to Word

-- Save note as a Word doc and/or a PDF. (I write everything in OneNote and then send it to Word.)

-- Save notebook (or set of tagged notes) as a single, multipage PDF.

-- Ability to write anywhere on the page

-- Ability to move images/graphics anywhere on the page

-- Ability to size PDFs for viewing in notes

-- Ability to open two instances of Evernote simultaneously (makes it easier to view source notes and compose in different windows)

-- Hyperlinking between notes and to specific sections

-- Ability to hyperlink to specific notes from outside Evernote

-- Integration with Outlook, especially for Task creation and linking meeting notes to specific Calendar events

Nothing in the list is a show-stopper against Evernote, although implementing the first five items on my list would make my life easier. :-)

• 10 months later...

From a money perspective, I can understand that Microsoft may not want to invest in the development to make OneNote with a database backend, but since I have read in numerious places that Microsoft wants to make OneNote only available at the highest subscription level (excluding the student/family edition) it would make sense for Microsoft to incorporate this into the business edition of OneNote. Having that option would be realistic in a business environment.

• 6 months later...

I just love Evernote and I have converted my wife, too.

We both have the premium service, as we like to collaborate and, besides, it's well worth it.

There are a couple of things I would like to see, though:

- Resizing Graphics. It is annoying to have to move with the slide bars, when all that's needed is a "fit width" and "fit page (or length)"

- Clipping web pages on the Android devices

- Plain text list of notes (maybe with optional 1-line preview) on Android tablet (It's the view you get on the phones, why not the tablets?) I can't stand the icons on my 7" tablet. I can only see 8-9 notes at most. The Title Tiles (month/year/#of notes) take up valuable real estate

- Real Checklist features: Indented checkmarks, hide checked items

- Custom date/time field and a list feature where you can list all notes that have a custom date. That would be great for projects.

- Timeline view (Like MS Outlook's timeline view) on Windows & Web clients. We would be able to display notes, filtered by tags, to display projects, to-do, etc.

Other than that, I think Evernote is awesome.

Thanks team for the great work!

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Is there an official Wish List anywhere?

Hello. There are several lists, but nothing official. You are always welcome to post one of your own! I have one for the iPad. Because Evernote has several development teams, it might help to focus on a specific client.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

"I want to be able to encrypt entire notes (with attachments), notebooks, and the entire evernote database on the HD" : Nope.

"Notebooks with folders, sub-notebooks that have their own folders and more sub-sub-sub notebooks all with their own folders and sub notebooks. I'm not interested in a discussion of folders vs. tags. I prefer folders. Period." : Nope.

"Storage and monthly upload limits yada-yada" : Nope.

Looks like none of your feature requests were honored (they're not issues, so they need not have been resolved), as near as I can tell. But you could have figured this out for yourself, as Evernote is still free to use and evaluate. Back to OneNote for you, I guess.

Two quick points; First, most of our users don't hit the monthly limits, if we found out that this was hampering a large amount of our users and they felt "forced" to upgrade, we would probably make an adjustment. I understand your point though

Second, we do offer a way for new users to up their limit. Nicknamed "quota bump" it is designed for new users who have a backlog of files or notes to upload. We have a forum thread about it here:

• 5 months later...

It's a bit after the 3rd anniversary of my original post and I'd like to revisit the issues as I am still looking out for a better OneNote alternative. Remember, as I stated in my OP, this is not intended to come off as harsh, just direct. I still think your product has the potential to spank OneNote or I wouldnt keep coming back here checking up.

1. Encryption, encryption, encryption...

To my understanding this is still a big no go. Kind of scary in light of the recent security breach. Makes me glad I stuck to my guns and didnt switch due to my security concerns. This could have been catastrophic for me. Your company has been around long enough now -- you need to have addressed this before the hackers got to you. Two factor is better, but not enough. Encryption such that only I know the key is the only way I or anyone should trust companies with their important data these days.

2. Notebooks with folders, sub-notebooks that have their own folders and more sub-sub-sub notebooks all with their own folders and sub notebooks.

For you to not have worked this in by now tells me that you probably wont because it's not in someones vision for their product, and that's surely your prerogative... Too bad though. You are missing out on customers like me who need / want this to move their organisational structure over to your service.

3. Storage and monthly upload limits.

It's good to see that we've seen some improvements in this area. 1 GB uploads per month means that now it would only take 8 months for me to get everything moved to your service... Of course I now have the option of paying $35 extra to get enough bandwidth to switch to you all at once. How nice of you. Seriously though; if you're committed to this unconventional model of monthly growth limit you need to provide users that want to switch and bring their existing data with them a path to do so that doesnt involve silly fees. And yes, $5 for a GB is silly when, even at retail prices, the storage and bandwidth costs dont exceed ten cents.

You used to have web access, syncing, and more platform support going for you over OneNote. Not any more though; Micro$oft has caught up in many ways... Though implementing even just #1 from the list above would put you firmly on top again.

I'm still optimistic about you though EverNote. I'm only here because I care. :D

Here's to the future.

I've been using EN for ages but i've only just started looking at this forum, the main reason for coming was to check what they had to say about 2FA, because without it, I am leaving. Anyway, we have an update on that, so while I am here, a few comments on the wish list:

1. Encryption

I use the in-note encryption facility a little, mainly as a means of storing passwords to other accounts, but also for the occasional bit of sensitive text.  I'd like this extended to the note level so that it's easy to mark an entire note as needing encryption and that should cover all content types, not just text.  Another nice-to-have would be the automatic application of encryption on notes with a certain user-chosen tag, that way I could easily see and manage encrypted notes.

Beyond that, I think it's pretty clear by now that full encryption isn't something that EN will get.  It can understand why. If you encrypt stuff that's on their servers you lose the ability to search it, and once that's gone then what you upload is simply data, in which case you might as well throw it up to a Dropbox or similar.

2. Notebooks

I use OneNote too, so I can see how in some cases having that OneNote structure to navigate might be helpful.  That said, I locate everything through search in both of the products.  But, you like it, but I can't see it coming here.

3. I'm still surprised they don't include a time-limited large upload amount for newly signed-up Premium customers.  I remember I maxed out for about 4 months when I first got here.

Sadly, I don't see why you're optimistic.  I don't think it's ever going to hit most of the things on your list.

Archived