Button to mass collapse/expand for tags (feedback)

I use the database daily, and have a massive amount of tags to allow for cross-referencing research. The tags are tiered from what would effectively be a macro to a micro tag, sometimes 3 tiers deep (e.g. Banks -> Bank of Canada -> Stephen Poloz).

I collapse the tags to try to make what I'm looking at more efficient, but am constantly plagued by what I'd amount to either poor planning or a glitch.

I am not sure exactly what I do (or evernote does) to cause this, but my collapsed tags frequently all expand as I open the 'tag' homepage. I think it may occur when I tag search, back out of a tag search, or perhaps when I change a tag. If I've collapsed things on the full 'tag' landing page, they should stay collapsed unless I actually open them. This should be regardless of whether you show me search results with the tags fully expanded. The search should reveal all the information, but my 'tag' homepage should be cleaner than that.

In the immediate though, a very pleasant and quick patch would be a button or +/- or something allowing to expand/collapse all tags. That way any time I either a) want to see everything or b ) don't want to see everything/see only my top tier tags (both options could be really important), I can quickly click one single thing instead of having to scroll through pages of tags and having to go through the ridiculous activity of collapsing everything.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Are you Windows or Mac?  Have you tried navigating tags using the left panel of the installed desktop app?  It's possible to collapse the tags down to the 'Tags' heading,  or expand and contract them in individual 'stacks' as necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/4/2015 at 4:52 PM, goodguy3000hd said:

I too had this question and found this thread. I played with the interface a few minutes and found that holding shift while clicking on the tag arrows expands/collapses all the children. So I guess it's already present, but not conveniently documented.

Thanks very much! I've been trying to figure this out in the Windows desktop app forever!

• 1 month later...

But this solution (Shipt+Arrow) does not work in the tab-overview (or at least on the first level). It would be great, if we get an consistent behavior across the app.

As _adt_ already mentioned, there are a lot of users who are working with 100th/1000th of tags (mostly due to the lag of having an deeper hierarchy on notebook stacks). It would be great if the overview starts with collapsed tags first (or at least as an option in the settings). When I search for a tag, only those nodes should be opened, where I have a match. Further this highlight for matched tags should be a bit more eye-catchy - as the yellow mark is really hard to find. (Or, an another enhancement - not only open the node, where a tag was found: also hide all unmatching tags - it would a huge step forward (and it is technically not so hard to implement)

Bug: if you drag&drop an list of tags (incl. subnodes) to an other tags - those hierarchy gets lost - in this special case I unordered ca. > 400 tags before I where aware of this bug - please fix.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if people at Evernote really watch these, but this issue remains and I agree with the other respondents that this needs to be done better. The collapse isn't perfect, and you can spend a couple minutes collapsing everything but you throw one thing in the search and it reverts (I think I recall evernote telling me it shouldn't do this, but it does). The little yellow highlight within a tree also isn't useful. If I search for a tag, it should clearly show me that tag I looked for, not 98 other things that just happened to be in the same hierarchy. For instance, I have a macro tag for reporters. If I'm looking for one reporter, I don't want to return every reporter I ever clipped. This is another area of evernote that could use a lot of work. I'm glad they brought back the 'tags' page (this was real hell when they removed it) but this is step 1 of probably 38 to making it actually functional and useful.

On 11/6/2015 at 10:52 AM, goodguy3000hd said:

I too had this question and found this thread. I played with the interface a few minutes and found that holding shift while clicking on the tag arrows expands/collapses all the children. So I guess it's already present, but not conveniently documented.

Thanks!!! I've been wondering about this for a while - it would be so handy to have a summary of all these little shortcuts and keyboard/mouse combinations that are available

Archived