Usage Strategies for Offline & Online Notes folders, esp. when monthly data cap is reached few days before cycle?

Usage Strategies for Offline & Online Notes folders, esp. when monthly data cap is reached few days before cycle?

I barely use Evernote on my mobile and mostly read / save via my Chrome or Opera Browser and save via Evernote Clipper to the Web; which blocks clipping when near to end of quota :)

I did install Evernote Windows client on my previous laptop but dont have it now. 

I was reading on some post about someone recommending "create & save" offline folder and sync it when cycle is reset. I might have to do something like this now and then. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80530-monthly-upload-allowance-not-resetting/#entry340359

1. Can someone share some insights on how they do this/ and what clipping/ copying mechanism/ workflow they use for this? 

2. also other Online vs Offline folder notes strategies they apply.. ? 

3. Whether they prefer to store most Notes on disk and lesser synced via Cloud or

4. Mostly store in cloud and keep some offline in local install. 

Thoughts? 

• Level 5*

Hi.

It's as well to remember that edits as well as uploads affect your upload allowance.  Editing a 1MB PDF file or JPG forinstance uses (at least) 1MB of allowance - the whole file is replaced and re-uploaded,  not just some changed portion.

1. Can someone share some insights on how they do this/ and what clipping/ copying mechanism/ workflow they use for this? 

I'm currently premium with a high upload limit,  but I started out on the free software,  and premium users haven't always been so well served with upload space - so I've always had an eye on my upload usage.  I've overstepped the maximum twice;  both times resulting in much confusion and frustration as I tried to work out what had,  and had not,  been uploaded correctly.  It's really REALLY a good idea not to exceed that limit.  I have observed before from time to time that it is a warning notice -like Cliff Edge!- that you do not want to mess with.

The available choices are:

1. Exceed the limit and be unable to edit or upload information for several days.
  2. Stop adding new notes when you get to 75-80% of the limit to allow for editing to continue.
  3. Stop uploading,  but use one or more Local Notebooks (installed desktop account required) to hold new notes until the day before your limit refreshes.  At that time transfer notes from the unsynced notebook into the correct synced notebook until you get to 95%+ of the limit and wait for reset.  Prioritise your transfer so the most important notes go first - you may not be able to empty the local notebook within the limit in the next month either.  If that happens regularly,  then consider an upgrade.

?? Offline folders are for notes that I don't want online either because i) they're confidential (bank statements,  plans to Take Over The Universe etc) or ii) they're going to blow my quota (highly unusual these days)

3. Whether they prefer to store most Notes on disk and lesser synced via Cloud or

In my far from humble opinion,  storing notes only in the cloud is a bit like asking a total stranger to hold your wallet until you need it.  They're probably honest,  they'll be careful,  and if your wallet gets lost they'll be really apologetic.  But you'll be the one who lost the cash.  I want to have a local copy of my database in Evernote,  and I'll backup that copy too in my own offline storage.  Hard drives do fail - I've had three drop out on me,  and despite regular backups I've lost small amounts of data each time.  But only small ones.

Plus the Desktop app has more features,  and works offline.

I regularly work in two locations.  Data I need in both is synced to Evernote (it's a good way to keep a daily log forinstance).  As noted above,  the only stuff that isn't online,  and is therefore visible on one laptop only,  is secure stuff like statements and accounts - all on my main 'home' laptop;  and,  if it were ever to arise,  stuff that would exceed my quota on either my home laptop or the lighter travelling version.

Regardless of your preferences,  you can always start working one way and change the process if it doesn't suit you - Evernote is nothing if not flexible to your needs...

• Level 5*

. . .

Thoughts? 

To me the choice is simple if you are constantly bumping up against, or exceeding, your monthly upload allowance:

• Either spend a lot of time managing your uploads (as suggested by @Gaz above)

OR

• Pay the small amount needed to upgrade Evernote to the next level so that uploads aren't an issue

We each have our own budgets and priorities.  For me, my time and elimination of worry is much more important than the $3-$5 per month that it costs to upgrade.  I'm a Premium account owner, and upload allowance is something that I never even concern myself with.

So this frees me to edit as much as I want, to clip web sites as much as I want, and to download/store PDFs and other documents in Evernote as much as I want.  It's great having everything available 24x7 no matter where I am or what device I'm using.

I have a lot of things I want to do, and I don't want to waste time on Evernote administration.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  I do not have any association with Evernote other than being a Premium account owner.

• Level 5*

• Per the above, I opted for premium so as to not have to worry about storage.  If you want to control your storage amount you can only do it on the desktop since you need to use local notebooks to hold the notes until you move them to a synced notebook.

• Watch out for terminology here.  In EN speak offline notebooks are those where the entire note will be synced to your phone/tablet device.  Local notebooks are notebooks on your PC that do not sync to the web.

• Again, synced versus local notebooks.  General rule of thumb don't put anything in a synced notebook you wouldn't want anyone to see.  Put anything you want to see on multiple devices in a synced notebook.  Put confidential stuff in local notebooks.

• Pretty much predicated on do you want to get at the information on all devices or do you just want it to be stored on the EN servers.

Hopefully not repetitive to the above.  Good luck.

• Evernote Expert

Okay, here are my few suggestions : I am now premium, but these weere some of the tips that i feel work well, while using EN. 

1. DropBox, G Driver etc are File Sharing Cloud Solutions that can support all file types, including Text. Evernote is primarily a 'Text' based Cloud File System, that can support all kinds of other files. So, the logic is that most of the work being done on EN should be Text only. This is particularly important for free users. If you cannot change the 60MB limit, then you may as well, work according to a system's limitations. 
  2. Do not add attachments and Notes, on the Same Note. Add them seperately, and then use the 'Note Link' option to link both notes. Reason: EN typically caches a certain amount of text on the device. If you add an Attachment, likelihood is that, the Note will not be cached locally. So, even if you need to only edit the Text when your in mobile, it wont open. Opening on Mobile means, Mobile consumes the bandwidth of Text+ Attachment. In this case, Text is already cached. Even if you need to download , Mobile used bandwidth of only Text here. 
  3. Attachments that need modifications should not be uploaded in Evernote ; Simply, each time, you modify, the whole attachment re-uploads, consuming X times more of your upload bandwidth. Instead, upload your attachments in GDrive, or DB, Do your modifcations, once Final, Then Upload in EN For Indexing. Premium Users obviously have more flexibility here.
  4. Larger Files upload elsewhere, Sync, Generate a link, and copy-paste in EN. Keep an eye on The Usage Meter; 
  5. Use as much for Webclips, Text notes, , Check liSt, Reminders etc.. All these are text based, Wont take up much bandwidth. 

Archived