Evernote for iOS v7.8.1 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iOS 7.8.1 this morning, and it should be available to everyone in the App Store shortly.

This release contains a new 3D Touch Quick Action on the device Home screen for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus devices as well as various bug fixes and improvements throughout the app.

New 3D Touch features and improvements for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus:

• Launch Evernote directly into Search with the new Search Quick Action
  • Peek and Pop are supported within business card notes
  • Updated Quick Action icons
  • Fixed occasional Work Chat Peek rendering issue

Additional improvements

• Updated Evernote share extension now supports* the iOS 9 Notes app
    • *Note: when sharing from iOS 9 Notes app into Evernote, not all information is made available to the share extension - we bring what we can (including images and drawings) in the order we receive it. Your resulting notes in Evernote may need to be modified to appear like the original if they contain images or drawings. URL, map, etc. cards are not available to be shared out of the Notes app.
  • Text highlighting color now matches the other Evernote clients/apps
  • Keyboards no longer block dialog boxes in iOS 9
  • Unexpected search bar behavior has been fixed
  • Swiping back from a note and then tapping on another note no longer crashes the app
  • The missing bold button on smaller screen devices makes its triumphant return

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

24 replies to this idea

• Level 5

My app is stuck in installing mode. Is there a way to fix it?

Hi,

There is an iOS 9.0.x bug regarding app downloading that is fixed in iOS 9.1 (released yesterday). This bug manifests in random apps getting stuck while downloading or installing. Sometimes rebooting the device would allow the installation to complete. Sometimes rebooting the device would remove the app. I've personally lost several apps due to this OS bug on my iPhone 6 Plus.

The recommended action is to upgrade to iOS 9.1. If you find you're missing applications, please re-download the app(s) from the App Store.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Text highlighting color now matches the other Evernote clients/apps

I have the app and can see the highlighter up there but I can't figure out how to use it. 

When I select text and then click through to highlighter, nothing happens.

When I click to select highlighter and then go back and select text, nothing happens.

Google searches and EN forum searches do not reveal any how-tos on highlighting notes in the app.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

"Search from iPhone screen" feature is not very helpful because it only searches titles. For confidence sake, results should be the same whether inside or outside the app; otherwise one feels compelled to always open the app and do a proper search to be sure the results are complete.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Due to the limitations around what can be searched in Spotlight and an unknown limitation of the size cap of the index, we decided to go with title only search at launch as to be the most useful to the greatest number of Evernote users. I agree it would be more useful to search all of the notes, but that would require all notes be available offline (which is a premium feature). We'll consider modifications to Spotlight search in the future as we understand better how useful it is to users.

Cheers,

Chuck

Fair enough. thanks.

• Level 5

Hey Chuck, great to see you on the board helping folks out. I have a question I raised earlier in this thread and have seen asked in other threads for some time. The question is why the iOS version does not permit modifying a note's created or modified dates. This is key metadata that I rely on for managing my notes. More times than not, I am creating notes and need to "back-date" them -- say on an airplane after a business trip -- and my only/preferred device at hand is an iOS device. Not having the ability to modify the note dates significantly reduces the productivity of the iOS apps.

What is Evernote's thoughts around this lack of a key feature on iOS? I just want to understand how the Evernote team thinks about this.

Thanks again for spending time on the board. 

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. This is a really low-level, power-user use case that I don't see us supporting on iOS in the near future. Right now we're working on making the app as useful to as many people as possible by focusing on core use cases and making the app faster and more reliable.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Chuck, great to see you on the board helping folks out. I have a question I raised earlier in this thread and have seen asked in other threads for some time. The question is why the iOS version does not permit modifying a note's created or modified dates. This is key metadata that I rely on for managing my notes. More times than not, I am creating notes and need to "back-date" them -- say on an airplane after a business trip -- and my only/preferred device at hand is an iOS device. Not having the ability to modify the note dates significantly reduces the productivity of the iOS apps.

What is Evernote's thoughts around this lack of a key feature on iOS? I just want to understand how the Evernote team thinks about this.

Thanks again for spending time on the board. 

• Level 5

I have been having issues with incorrect badge icon numbers after a reminder.  Yesterday, I was notified of one reminder and the badge icon number was 58. 

iPhone 5

Hi,

This is a known bug that crept in recently. We've fixed it in our next release which we'll be submitting to Apple shortly.

Chers,

Chuck

• Level 5

"Search from iPhone screen" feature is not very helpful because it only searches titles. For confidence sake, results should be the same whether inside or outside the app; otherwise one feels compelled to always open the app and do a proper search to be sure the results are complete.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Due to the limitations around what can be searched in Spotlight and an unknown limitation of the size cap of the index, we decided to go with title only search at launch as to be the most useful to the greatest number of Evernote users. I agree it would be more useful to search all of the notes, but that would require all notes be available offline (which is a premium feature). We'll consider modifications to Spotlight search in the future as we understand better how useful it is to users.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Evernote should indicate in the update info on the App Store that iOS 9.1 may be required due to an app upgrading-related bug in 9.0.x and then the user can decide in advance whether to do that or defer Evernote update. Not everyone installs Apple's latest iOS in the first while, just to see if other bugs arise. Since Evernote is aware of the problem, then add the caution into the store's update info. Sounds simple to me, why must Evernote be prompted to do something so simple?

Hi,

Upgrading to iOS 9.1 is not required to install Evernote. There is an iOS bug in iOS 9.0.x that does not affect every user that results in random apps not being updated. We generally do not put OS issues in our release notes that are independent of our app releases.

Thanks,

Chuck

Evernote should indicate in the update info on the App Store that iOS 9.1 may be required due to an app upgrading-related bug in 9.0.x and then the user can decide in advance whether to do that or defer Evernote update. Not everyone installs Apple's latest iOS in the first while, just to see if other bugs arise. Since Evernote is aware of the problem, then add the caution into the store's update info. Sounds simple to me, why must Evernote be prompted to do something so simple?

My app is stuck in installing mode. Is there a way to fix it?

Hi,

There is an iOS 9.0.x bug regarding app downloading that is fixed in iOS 9.1 (released yesterday). This bug manifests in random apps getting stuck while downloading or installing. Sometimes rebooting the device would allow the installation to complete. Sometimes rebooting the device would remove the app. I've personally lost several apps due to this OS bug on my iPhone 6 Plus.

The recommended action is to upgrade to iOS 9.1. If you find you're missing applications, please re-download the app(s) from the App Store.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks, rebooting worked! And I will update to 9.1 now, I did not get prompted for that before Evernote started automagically updating for me.

• Level 5

[Enhancement Request] For those of us without 3D Touch enabled iOS devices, can we please have quick search from the Today Widget?

Thks

Steve

Thanks for the feedback. We'll consider it for a future release.

Thx,

Chuck

• Level 5

Still no decent spellcheck. Nothing to highlight typos let alone wrong grammar. There clearly is access to a dictionary because you can select a doubtful word (a couple of times, once only highlights it red briefly then flickers out again) and you get options to replace it, but you have to do the checking yourself. Why not the IOS standard red dotted underline?

Hi,

We use something called a web view to display our notes and make them editable (across platforms). Within that framework, Apple allows access to the following:
  • autocomplete suggestions while typing
  • autocorrections while typing
  • tapping on a misspelled word to see other suggestions

They do not however give us access to red underlining of text. If you have Predictive Text turned on, you'll see suggestions above the keyboard (iOS 8+).

This framework is also what causes the long-press/selection menu box pop-up to disappear on first highlighting of a word or phrase.

Thanks,
Chuck

Still no decent spellcheck. Nothing to highlight typos let alone wrong grammar. There clearly is access to a dictionary because you can select a doubtful word (a couple of times, once only highlights it red briefly then flickers out again) and you get options to replace it, but you have to do the checking yourself. Why not the IOS standard red dotted underline?

post-273639-0-95960100-1445538338_thumb.

Would very much like to see support for Slide Over (for all iPads running iOS9) and Split View (for iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, and forthcoming iPad Pro). It's one of the most important iOS9 features for iPad, particularly for an app like Evernote.

I've been wondering for a long time when something would be done about the inconsistent highlight colours between versions, but this is not the solution I wanted =( The pale yellow colour is practically invisible and I can hardly see any of my new highlights now. The previous orange colour was much better. Please bring it back, at least as an option...

Archived