Why is Evernote support so terrible? Good product. Poor support.

I must repeat, why is Evernote support so terrible? 

It would seem they are literally running AWAY from customers and their suggestions. It use to be VERY easy to send them a quick email. Now their site makes it very hard to find how to send them an email.

Second thing. I've been asking since 2003 for them to add a better audio recording experience on Android. Since recent OS updates, this is more than possible and other apps have proved that. The current implementation is terrible and a few steps behind it's iOS sister.

We can't:

• Multitask while recording
  • Record in better quality, only AMR (A codec released in 1999)
  • Play back recordings on iOS device (since it's in AMR)

I believe in Evernote. But I feel this company is greedy and their support for products and listening to users is underwhelming. Frankly, they don't even reply on their forums or consider our ideas. They reply with stock answers if you ever get through the maze to find their email. I know a company needs to make a profit, but at least have a student pricing and be open to your users.

Evernote. My trust in you is slowly dying. Then again, why am I calling you out when you don't even come here.

• Level 5*

Hi.  By 'support' I assume you're actually talking about 'reacting to feedback' which isn't the same thing.  Sure there have been demands in these forums and elsewhere for dozens of features and fixes,  only some of which have been delivered;  and if your interest is purely in recording quality,  you seem to have one narrow view of what's the essential next new feature.

Evernote do say that they prioritise their work based not only on how many votes one or other suggestion receives,  but also -since they're a business- on how much work is involved in providing that functionality.  Some features are just tweaks to existing code.  Others require root and branch rewrites of basic functions.  And with 150M+ users (not bad for an underwhelming company) they can't just pull something basic and re-engineer it without making sure that it's at least as good as the function it replaces.

Your sound recording quality forinstance is (I imagine) tied up with the basic editor function which deals with styles,  bullets,  paragraphs and attachments.  The editor has been rebuilt for both iOS and Windows, and other OS's are coming along.  I think Evernote have been doing this rewrite for a couple of years now,  and they're only just rolling out the better versions.  You may be able to expect some sound improvements in the next few months - I wouldn't know;  Evernote have never been chatty about whether or when specific features will become available.  Don't think Ford or IBM do much of that either...

Meantime I've been using Audacity in Windows and one of the many Recorder apps in Android to get MP3 and WAV recordings when I need them - the output files attach to Evernote notes just fine,  and play on any device that has software to read them.

And as to accessibility,  Evernote's new CEO gave a contact email in his recent blog - I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from you... https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/29/a-note-from-chris-oneill/

I completely agree about 1the poor support. I have a serious synchronisationproblem, but there is no wayto get propersupport even though I am a paying customer.

There is no support emailaddress, when you access the help file and want further support it just says: "Oops, the page doesn't exist.

Shame!

• Level 5*

Second thing. I've been asking since 2003 for them to add a better audio recording experience on Android. Since recent OS updates, this is more than possible and other apps have proved that. The current implementation is terrible and a few steps behind it's iOS sister.

Evernote. My trust in you is slowly dying. Then again, why am I calling you out when you don't even come here.

2003? neither android nor evernote even existed. perhaps you meant a decade later, in 2013? technically, both were under development somewhere, but evernote in its current incarnation wasn't available, and google wouldn't buy android for a couple more years. i'd say evernote is moving pretty fast compared to its competitors like keep or one note.
  • Level 5*

I completely agree about 1the poor support. I have a serious synchronisationproblem, but there is no wayto get propersupport even though I am a paying customer.

There is no support emailaddress, when you access the help file and want further support it just says: "Oops, the page doesn't exist.

Shame!

Agreed there is no support email address - there never has been.  If you're finding that a page link doesn't work,  it's always useful to quote both the link and the address of the referring page.  If they're faulty Evernote links I'm sure the company will fix them as soon as possible.  Meantime have a look at the Help Center https://help.evernote.com/ or jump directly to https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action to raise a support ticket...

• 2 months later...

I agree that the customer support is horrible.  I have been experiencing problems trying to save articles from news aggregators like the New York Times on my Ipad Air 2 and despite complaints, Evernote does not correct the matter.  Why should I pay for a premium service when the support is so horrible?  

• Level 5*

Complaints from first time posters that 'support is horrible' are ignoring other good experiences in this thread and the fact that this forum will provide support if you ask us a coherent question. First step to get support - especially if you're a paying user - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

I have been a Premium user for several years.  I paid for an additional year in December and they applied the payment to the wrong account.  I eventually got Evernote to acknowledge the problem but they would not make the change on their end.  Finally, they offered to refund my payment so I could charge the same amount to the right email address.  However, they never sent me my money back and they revoked my Premium status.  I have since been unable to get anyone to respond.  This is ludicrous!  There is very little help and virtually no follow up!  I would advise others to find a different provider because I am absolutely at my wits end on this.

• 3 months later...

Have to agree here.  It's unbelievably terrible.  We have an evernote business account that was inexplicably deactivated today, and there was no way to contact anyone at the company.  It's been several hours and despite many emails, no one has contacted us to get it resolved.  I called and emailed two of our old account reps, but one's phone number has been deactivated and the other's email is changed (or he's left).  And there is no way to reach anybody via the general line.  

Thinking it might be a missed payment issue, I re-entered our company credit card info and re-submitted payment for our entire team for a full year.  However, upon logging in to the restored account, I see that we paid as usual three months ago for the entire 2016-2017 year.  So a missed payment was not the issue and now Evernote's buggy system (and absent support team) have double payments from our company.

Fortunately I live near their corporate office and can drop by in person if they don't get it fixed for us soon.

This is frankly not acceptable for a business-level product.  I would immediately migrate to a replacement product if I knew of one that had a similar feature set.  Anyone got suggestions for an Evernote replacement?  Need to get our company migrated before these s***heads run their company into the ground.

So, my "coherent question" is this:  What's a reliable product that does what evernote does, that doesn't have the bugs or total lack of tech support that evernote has?  There must be at least a couple competitors...

Archived