(Archived) Can and Cannot Run EN3 and E2.2 Clippers Together

I'm getting inconsistent behaviour when I try running 2.2 and 3 side-by-side. This has to do with the web clippers in FireFox. Sometimes, I can have both databases open, and use the EN3b clipper button to paste something to the EN3b databases. Then, I can click on the old EN2.2 clipper button to paste something to my old database.

However, I have noticed that every now and then something breaks.

Just now, I clipped something with the new button. It pasted to the EN3b database. Then I hit the old button. The clip went to the EN3b database, again.

So, I closed the EN3b database. But now, my old faithful 2.2 clipper refuses to clip at all and gives me the

---------------------------

Error

Can't clip. Please run Evernote and try again.

OK

error box. From my previous experimenting, the only way to turn my 2.2 clipper back on is to reinstall the firefox extension and restart firefox.

I thought we were supposed to be able to run these side by side?

Edit 26 Feb 08 12:54: Spoke too soon. I have to *close* EN 2.2. AND reinstall the clipper.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5588

I've been having the same problem. Am I reading you correctly that closing 2.2.1 and re-installing 3.0b (with clippers) allows EverNote to clip to both 2.2.1 and 3.0b?

If you select some text/graphics on a website and right-click, what happens? Does it prompt you for a 2.2.1 or 3.0 ENbase to which to clip the note? I am encouraged that you've gotten it working, and want to have a better understanding of how it works before I jump.

Originally, I just installed EN3b. Went into firefox, found the clipper (had to hit customize on a toolbar) and then I had the two sitting side by side.

post-1775-131906061882_thumb.png

I'd say that most of the time (but not necessarily all of the time), I seem to be able to use them (these two clippers) at the same time. So, assuming I have both EN2.2 and EN3b running, if I clip from the old button, it will go to 2.2; if I clip from the new button, it will go to 3b.

You can see what database it's going to by the little popup window. See the images below:

post-1775-131906061882_thumb.png

post-1775-131906061883_thumb.png

As for the right-click context menu, I now see two "Add to Evernote".

post-1775-131906061884_thumb.png

By experimenting, I find that the bottom one goes to the old EN2.2, and the first one goes to the new EN3b. It might be different in your case.

Now, this seems to work well for me most of the time. However, it is easy to piss off.

You know how in 2.2, you don't have to have a database open? Well, the new EN3b *has* to be open before clipping. Otherwise you can get an error box. So far, I've determined two ways that this process can flub up:

1. I try clipping with the new clipper, but 3b is not open. I get the error box. If I then try clipping with 2.2, it also gives me an error. (At least some of the time.)

2. For whatever reason, I notice that a clip from the 2.2 button goes to the 3b database. Don't know why.

Once I've pissed off the clipper, it seems the best way to recover is as follows:

1. Close both ENs.

2. In Firefox, reinstall the old clipper. You can get it from here: http://www.evernote.com/products/everno ... ip_firefox

3. Restart Firefox.

Clipping to EN2.2 should then work again.

As I've said before though, this is just what I've been seeing, and it might be hard to reproduce the "pissing off", so to speak. The worst that should happen though is that you have to reinstall the firefox extension (2.2, never needed to reinstall the 3b one). That doesn't take too long, so that's okay.

Hope this helps :)

We did our internal tests and confirm that installing EN3 on top of EN2 makes old Firefox clipper to malfunction.

In order to cure this, you should install the old EN2 Firefox clipper once again, after you have installed EN3 (crane's method).

Also, if you uninstall EN3, EN2 FF clipper will also start to work normally.

We will look deeper into this case and will try to fix it shortly.

Archived