(Archived) Feature Request: Stickies

Hi,

I am exploring Evernote for the first time and it looks promising.

However, I find the GUI surprisingly limited. Why, for instance, not provide more options for detaching a note and allowing it to roam freely? For instance allow us to double-click on a entry so that it opens in its own window, then allow us to "float it" (stay on top of all windows), allow us to hide away all other elements of the window except contents, etc. Essentially, I am talking about a sticky. I know that there are sticky dedicated programs but note that offer Evernote's features (organization, sync, etc...). It sounds like really simple to implement - and would make it much more useful for me (i.e. I could keep a TODO list open on the side of my monitor while I work on something else and keep adding to it without flipping back and forth between programs).

Any comments?

-Alex

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

You can already open notes and move them whatever you like. I don't think this concept of stickies will ever be implemented in Evernote. You can use tags and you can pin to the faves bar.

• Level 5

However, I find the GUI surprisingly limited. Why, for instance, not provide more options for detaching a note and allowing it to roam freely? For instance allow us to double-click on a entry so that it opens in its own window, then allow us to "float it" (stay on top of all windows), allow us to hide away all other elements of the window except contents, etc. Essentially, I am talking about a sticky. I know that there are sticky dedicated programs but note that offer Evernote's features (organization, sync, etc...). It sounds like really simple to implement - and would make it much more useful for me (i.e. I could keep a TODO list open on the side of my monitor while I work on something else and keep adding to it without flipping back and forth between programs).

Any comments?

It is better for Evernote to concentrate on mission critical items and let 3rd party developers work on the other stuff.

Here is a link with a discussion on stickies / paste-it notes along with some links to 3rd party developers.

• Level 5*

if i double click on a note it does appear in its own window. it has no special properties, but a swipe and click on the mac brings it up. or, i can resize windows to keep it visible. a "sticky" functionality would be interesting, but as jb says, better left to dedicated apps.

the gui is limited, and there are things i wish it could do as well, but all things considered, it is one of the better guis out there. with the exception of onenote, i can't think of many competitors wo do a better job.

To make such a window sticky on Windows could be done with AutoHotkey (or AutoIt) easily.

Don't know if the simplification of the window is possible.

But I guess it would be easier to use a different app that has a permanent-in-foreground edit field and at the end of the day copy the data into EN. Actually this could all be coded with AutoHotkey as well. Even the automatic creation of the note at the end of the day.

... Maybe I should start coding again... ?

Archived