(Archived) Can 2.2.1 and 3.0b co-exist?

I'm very interested in testing 3.0, but need to use 2.2.1 for my day-to-day work. I am not having success with the clippers with both versions installed. Can anyone comment on how to make these two versions co-exist?

In IE, right clicking and selecting "Add to Evernote" results in a "Can't clip. Please run Evernote and try again" message, even with my 2.2.1 ENbase open.

Launching the Universal Clipper sometimes clips into my 2.2.1 ENbase and frequently doesn't.

In IE, right clicking and selecting "Add to Evernote" results in a "Can't clip. Please run Evernote and try again" message, even with my 2.2.1 ENbase open.

Somewhere in the documentation, I read that the only web clipper truly supported right now is for FireFox. Marcclarke has also tried IE, but can't even get the web version to open. Obviously, the web clipper is not working for you.

I'm playing with it with Firefox, and experiencing minor troubles. I can have both ENs running at the same; there are two clippers in my FF - one sends to 2.2, one sends to 3. (Same for Outlook). I don't use the universal clipper at all.

I have had some minor trouble, e.g., once I start getting the "Can't clip" error, because I haven't opened 3, I can get kind of stuck where both clippers don't work. I end up having to reinstall the 2.2 clipper, for whatever reason. It's only happened twice, and I can't reproduce it yet.

(Even with FF, the EN3b database has to be running before a clip will work. Not like with 2.2, which would deal with sending the clip to a closed database anyway.)

- Do you see one or two 'Add to Evernote' context menu items?

- Are you able to clip into EN2 or EN3 from the IE toolbar (there should be two different clipper buttons -- one with old EN logo for EN2 and the new green clipper icon for EN3)?

Launching the Universal Clipper sometimes clips into my 2.2.1 ENbase and frequently doesn't.

- What Universal Clipper do you run? The one which comes with EN2 or with EN3? Can you please look at the version?

You can't run two Universal Clippers side-by-side; however, the version that comes with EN3 supports both EN2 and EN3, so you can use it from now on.

Somewhere in the documentation, I read that the only web clipper truly supported right now is for FireFox. Marcclarke has also tried IE, but can't even get the web version to open. Obviously, the web clipper is not working for you.

Let's clarify this. All EN3/Win clippers (IE, Firefox, Outlook, Thunderbird, Universal) should work. If they don't - it's a bug and we'd like to hear about it. Desktop clippers clip into local database

WebClipper (http://www.evernote.com/download/beta/#webclipper) clips into your web account. At this time the only web browser we support is Firefox 2.x. Obviously, we are working on supporting other browsers.

I've currently got only 2.2.1 installed on this machine. I am willing to install EverNot3.0b on this machine, but want to retain the ability to "Add to EverNote" (ideally, either 2.2.1 or 3.0) from right-click menus in Internet Explorer.

What is the prescribed method to accomplish this, please?

I've currently got only 2.2.1 installed on this machine. I am willing to install EverNot3.0b on this machine, but want to retain the ability to "Add to EverNote" (ideally, either 2.2.1 or 3.0) from right-click menus in Internet Explorer.

What is the prescribed method to accomplish this, please?

The prescribed method is just installing EN3, as the clippers should work in parallel. After you have EN3 installed, please check the abovementioned functionality and try to answer my questions I answered couple of posts above. If something's going wrong, just uninstall EN3 and install it without the IE clipper (and report us about this, of course).

I've just uninstalled both 2.2.1 and 3.0. I re-installed 2.2.1 and verified that the Universal Clipper (1.0.0.39) worked. It did.

Then, I installed 3.0b (518) and launched its Universal Clipper (1.0.0.42). It is currently running in my system tray.

I opened a 2.2.1 ENbase and attempted to clip (Win-A) selected text/graphics from a webpage into my 2.2.1 ENbase. It didn't work and threw the following error. "Can't clip. You either didn't select anything, or the application you are trying to clip from doesn't support copying information into the system clipboard. Try screen capture instead."

I read that Marc is able to clip with 1.0.0.42 into whichever EverNote version (2.2.1 or 3.0b) is open... Why doesn't it work for me? Very strange and frustrating.

Bear in mind that I never use the universal clipper.

When I have both databases (2.2 and 3b) running, and turn on the clipper, then I click Win+A, I get the little bubble that gives the same error message as you. However, after I select some text (i.e., make a selection), and click win+A, I get a popup asking what database I want it to go into.

On the other hand, if I close the EN3b database, and then select some text, and use Win+A, it goes directly to my 2.2 (open) database.

Maybe it's the whole selection thing, i.e., you need to have something selected before using Win+A? I've noticed that you can use the Win+PrintScreen to choose what part of the desktop you want to clip.

Update: I've noticed that once the clip started going to one particular database (in this case 2.2), the clip always wants to go there. When I first experimented with the clipping, it didn't seem that there was a default database selected, but now there is - see the dot in the image:

post-1775-131906061958_thumb.png

so, maybe the little popup window asking where you want to clip only shows up when the clipper can't figure out what the default database is. But as soon as one is assigned, then all clips go there (assuming it's open, I guess).

Note to the EN team: It would be very good to have a choice of selecting the database in the context menu of the screen area clip. So, instead of use "clip to evernote", you could choose the destination.

post-1775-131906061959_thumb.png

Archived