Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 2 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we shipped Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 2.  This release continues to fix issues in the Beta 1 release.  Some of the highlights are:

1) Fixed renaming tags and notebook names.

2) Fixed key commands around tags and moving notebooks.

3) Fixed an issue where the app would switch to note view when syncing.

4) Tooltips are now working so you can see your tags and notebook name.  They are also localized so if your system is in a foreign language, you will be able to read the tooltips now.

5) Tags are working a lot better...you should now see ellipses if there are more tags than can fit in the field but it's still a little visually flaky.

6) Fixed a copy paste issue with tables.

7) Removed inline markdown-inspired formatting.

8) Clicking at the bottom of the note will put the note into edit mode.

9) You shouldn't see the font drop down say default anymore.  It will display the actual font name.

And lot of other bug fixes.

What didn't we fix yet?

1) Some people are not seeing the Evernote window when launching.  We haven't figured out how to fix that issue yet.

2) Hang on launch on El Cap.  A number of people are reporting this issue but we're having a hard time reproducing it.  This might be entirely unrelated to El Cap.  It sounds like some people are being forced to reindex their notes which is pretty CPU intensive so this might be why it feels like the app is hanging or it could be an actual hang.  I've reached out to those customers directly and hopefully we can figure out what is going on. 

As always, thanks ahead of time for your feedback and bug reports.  You can download the Beta 2 from this link here.

70 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Why did you take it away so fast? I was just getting ready to test it's limitations and it is gone. [insert super-sad face].

Check out PeeJayTee's post about 6 posts above yours.

I can't open two notes at the same time

I recently updated to the beta version of Evernote 6.2 beta 2 for Mac and since doing so I now cannot open two or more notes at the same time. I double-click a note to open it outside of the main Evernote window and it greys out the main Evernote window and when I click back in the main Evernote window to look at or open another note, the note I originally opened closes.

Basically, I can only edit one note at a time. Why? Is this a new "feature" or just a bug? I need to be able to view one note and edit another or at the very least be able to see and scroll through other Evernote notes.

Also, note the grey boxes that have started to appear around the buttons in the toolbar since the update.

post-270118-0-36795200-1444372538_thumb.

• Level 5*

Why did you take it away so fast? I was just getting ready to test it's limitations and it is gone. [insert super-sad face].

I think they took it away because it wasn't a great implementation and would probably have caused more problems than resolutions.

• Level 5*

What happened to "Rotate"?

I just saved a PDF to Evernote.  I went to rotate it and that option disappeared.  I used to right click to rotate.

That's a big deal !  That function needs to be put back !

Are you sure? Rotate image is there, but I could have sworn a few months ago when I got my Mac I was genuinely excited that I could open a PDF in PREVIEW and rotate there, then save it back to EN seamlessly. I don't think the EN client could do that on the right-click menu.

What happened to "Rotate"?

I just saved a PDF to Evernote.  I went to rotate it and that option disappeared.  I used to right click to rotate.

That's a big deal !  That function needs to be put back !

Here's a screenshot -- I'd really like to have the option to display notebooks in the alternate way, this presentation is not optimal for my resolution. Thanks.

In preferences/software update there's a checkbox for "Enable new notebook view..." - uncheck it to go back to the previous style

Thank you, sir!

• Level 5*

Here's a screenshot -- I'd really like to have the option to display notebooks in the alternate way, this presentation is not optimal for my resolution. Thanks.

In preferences/software update there's a checkbox for "Enable new notebook view..." - uncheck it to go back to the previous style

Just FYI, not a bug report or change request or request for future enhancement, for a change: Evernote in Split View on 10.11.1 (beta 3) is working nicely. The abbreviated sidebar, the responsive toolbar, etc. are all doing fine. It's not as important right now on the 27" Retina iMac; however, I assume (I hope) 3- or 4-pane split is inevitable, which will make the refinements that much more welcome.

Bug: search strings with Norwegian characters æ, ø and å does not work anymore in 6.2 beta 2. The search returns zero results, while identical searches have worked in previous versions of Evernote and still works on Evernote Web. Using the web client to find these notes as a workaround for now.

I`m having issues rotating photos that have been imported into a note.  I have tried both clockwise and counter clockwise and neither seem to work for me.  

I also tried to sync the note and this does not seem to help.

Thanks!

What is the reason for removing markdown? I thought the idea was to implement markdown?? *confused*

FYI - we've had a few questions as to why we've removed some of the shortcuts.  Basically, we broke the workflow of many of those we were trying to serve.  If you're interested in the details, check the Beta 1 thread here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88677-evernote-for-mac-62-beta-1-released/?p=380238

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

This is a quick note of appreciation that an issue raised with Beta 1 now seems to have been resolved: it's now possible to select and copy tags in one note (or a group of notes) and paste them into another (or into the group-modify interaction).

HOWEVER – the only way to select more than one tag when viewing a single note is to CMD-A Select All of them. You can't select more than one by dragging the mouse nor by holding SHIFT while using the arrow keys. (This is only in the tag display for a single note, not in the group-change interaction which does allow for dragging and SHIFT-ARROW selection of adjacent tags. Nevertheless, CMD-click does not allow selecting multiple, non-adjacent tags there. By the way, I do like the ellipsis notation and, as one who makes heavy use of multiple-tag classification, I much prefer seeing all of the tags at once than being forced to scroll through them! Great feature – please keep it!!)

Also, I've had no trouble so far launching Version 6.2 Beta 2 (452409 Direct) in El Capitan (from Spotlight).

Y'all are doing a great job here... thanks again for allowing us to be part of the process!

Not sure I agree completely with @EdH's sentiments above – yeah, there are some things that dropped by the wayside that I've missed, but would I trade today's Evernote for yesteryear's? Heck, no. It's worth noting that there are plenty of apps out there on which my workflow depended earlier in the iPhone's and iPad's lifetimes that seem to have "dried up" – the developers stopped improving them and in some cases stopped maintaining them altogether.

That's not intended to give Evernote a "pass" on all of these issues, but I believe it's important to consider one's disagreements and objections with that perspective in mind. Thank you for your loyalty to my workflow, Evernote!

Beta 4 updated flawlessly on iMac; on my MBP it showed the notification about migrating notes, but I had to force-quit when it was obviously finished in order to use the app.

General feedback: When I right-click on a stack and choose "New Notebook" I expect the behavior to be that it's created inside the stack, but it's not, I have to move the new notebook manually.

BUG REPORT: When I'm using full-screen Split View, if I'm in Expanded Card View, if I open a note, it displays on that desktop; if I try to drag it to a desktop that isn't in Split View, the note bounces back to the desktop that has EN open in Split View. I would expect to at least be able to drag it anywhere I want. Perhaps it should open in Desktop 1 by default as well. This is with 6.2 beta 4, thanks.

We just released Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 3.  

We have fixes for some of the weird El Capitan issues like the Evernote window not appearing on launch and rotate image not working.  You can check out the forum post at http://bit.ly/1jldMeN.

No dedicated thread for beta 3?

Never mind, I see beta 4 is out now :-)

We just released Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 3.  

We have fixes for some of the weird El Capitan issues like the Evernote window not appearing on launch and rotate image not working.  You can check out the forum post at http://bit.ly/1jldMeN.

No dedicated thread for beta 3?

Have you used the latest Ulysses Markdown editor? You can use gestures such as swiping left and right, in order to hide and show sidebars on the left and right, including multiple sidebars on the left--swipe once, see one, swipe again, see another. It's tres slick. I think Evernote could be made sexier with a UI like that.

Hi,

Image rotation seems to be broken (menu item is there but nothing happens). Has anyone else noticed this? I am using Version 6.2 Beta 2 (452409 Direct) with El Capitan. 

Thanks!

G

Yes,  I have been having the same issue.

Ditto.

I am running Yosemite and can confirm that image rotation is not broken for me.  So yes something to do with Evernote in El Capitan.

Hi,

Image rotation seems to be broken (menu item is there but nothing happens). Has anyone else noticed this? I am using Version 6.2 Beta 2 (452409 Direct) with El Capitan. 

Thanks!

G

Yes,  I have been having the same issue.

Ditto.

I'm having a disturbing surprise issue.

When I scan a business card,  it is automatically creating an 'Invite Sent" popup.  I think that it is automatically sending LinkedIn connection requests, whether or not I want to send them.

This is serious, as I was entering cards from a trade show.  If people respond they don't know me, my LinkedIn account will be blacklisted.  I don't want to send connection requests.

How do I manage this?  Why is this suddenly popping up?

• Level 5*

The more I use the new toolbar the less I like the way the note's notebook and tags are hidden when I'm editing.

Really don't see the value in this from a UI point of view, saving perhaps a line of text? That useful data is more valuable to me that an extra line of edit space.

I can understand where he is coming from, but I am actually ok with the new layout. To me, notebooks and tags aren't critical for me while editing. (The note subject line is a different matter)

These are entirely subjective opinions of course, so take them for what they are worth.  :)

• Level 5*

The more I use the new toolbar the less I like the way the note's notebook and tags are hidden when I'm editing.

Really don't see the value in this from a UI point of view, saving perhaps a line of text? That useful data is more valuable to me that an extra line of edit space.

May I please add two feature / bahaviour requests? I'm not certain I've seen anyone else ask for this — my apologies if that's forgetfulness or poor searching on my part. 

1. When I hit "return" at the end of the line with a check box, and I've chosen to "indent" (in the current editor, tab) the check boxes, make my next check box indented, too

So that a tabbed-in list of check boxes looks like this:

[ ] Box 1

[ ] Box 2

[ ] (cursor here after hitting return)

And not like this:

[ ] Box 1

[ ] Box 2

[ ] (cursor here after hitting return, requiring me to arrow over, tab in the checkbox, move the cursor right again, then start writing)

2. When creating an ordered list, allow me to manually add a space between list items while preserving numbers:

So that an ordered list with spaces between items looks like this:

1. Item

2. Item

3. Item

And not like this:

1. Item

1. Item

1. Item

Thanks for any consideration you may be able to give this. 

Hi folks,

I've had issues on two Macs (both running El Capitan) with colouring text. I can change one block of text to the desired colour (any colour), but I cannot apply that colour to a second block of text in the same note without first choosing a *second* colour, then choosing the desired colour.

1) Open colour picker ("web safe colors")

2) Select text

3) Click desired colour — colour of text changes

4) Select any other text block (word, paragraph, bullet — same behaviour)

5) Click the same colour as you clicked in "3" (above) — colour of text does not change. 

Then:

6) Choose a *different* colour to apply to the block that won't change colours in "5" — it changes colour

7) Leave your text highlighted and go back and click again on the colour from "3" (the desired colour) and the block *will* change colours.

Thanks to everyone working on this project at Evernote for the uptick in communicativeness and for taking on the editor project.

• Level 5

I don't know whether it is an El Capitan issue or an issue of the beta. Spotlight search is not working for me any more. I don't see a single Evernote entry in Spotlight. I already re-indexed the database and recreated the Spotlight search index via the troubleshooting menu of the beta without success.

Bug: search strings with Norwegian characters æ, ø and å does not work anymore in 6.2 beta 2. The search returns zero results, while identical searches have worked in previous versions of Evernote and still works on Evernote Web. Using the web client to find these notes as a workaround for now.

We are working hard to fix many note search issues in the upcoming release.  Some of the fixes will require a note reindexing, which we will turn on automatically for the public release.

Here are the instructions to force reindexing manually for now:

- Hold down the Option key and then click on the help menu.  At the bottom there is a troubleshooting menu item that allows you to "Recreate Full Text Search".

Note, the whole reindexing might take a while to complete.

Hi,

I've been using 6.2beta2 for a few days now (I didn't use beta1) on OS X 10.11. Here are my impressions:

• Overall it's worked well. I like the darker sidebar and the new notebook list.
  • My main annoyance, as others have mentioned, is the tag field. Some things I noticed:
    • ​The inability to scroll it is really annoying. Not so much the lack of a visible scrollbar, but if I use the two-finger gesture on my trackpad, I should be able to scroll the list.
    • If I am editing tags, select Cmd-a (select all of them) and then Delete, the tags are deleted but the field loses focus, so I have to re-select it. This is particularly annoying if I'm on a smart search view based on a tag search, since the note disappears before I can make any other changes.
    • If I select all tags and just start typing to replace them, two things happen:
      • Only the last tag in the list is removed and replaced, the other tags remain the same
      • Only seems to work if I type a letter. I have a lot of tags starting with non-alphanumeric characters (@, %, +, etc.), and I cannot type them this way. I have to delete them first, which triggers the field-loses-focus mentioned above.
      • Sometimes, selecting tags doesn't work at all, no matter if I use Cmd-a, Shift-arrows, etc.
      • Sometimes, auto-completion doesn't work, the list just doesn't appear.
      • Sometimes I can press Enter to exit the tag field, other times that doesn't work and I have to use tab or click somewhere else.
    • Overall the new behavior of the tag field is really inconsistent and broken.
  • I had a weird occurrence this morning, suddenly Evernote started using a lot of CPU (top showed it at ~250%). The activity window seemed to show a lot of messages of this type:
    • 2015/10/09 12:14:25:070 I|*   -[ENCacheManager generateOperationsForResource:usingGenerator:]  | Received resource with cacheStatus:0, generated no operations [fe39250b-3298-4240-87b3-fb80622d8dea]
    • intermixed with errors like these:
    • 2015/10/09 12:09:49:265 E|*** -[ENXMLParserWriter errorWithLibXMLCode:]  | libxml error desc: Start tag expected, '<' not found
      2015/10/09 12:09:49:265 E|*** -[ENRecoInfo initWithFile:]  | Could not parse reco xml: Error Domain=Evernote XML Error Code=4 "(null)" UserInfo={ENXMLErrorDomain_LibXMLError=4}
    • I removed ~/Library/Caches/com.evernote.Evernote and restarted Evernote. It re-cached everything and then went normal.
Thanks for listening!
--Diego

System info:

Version: Evernote Mac 6.2 Beta 2 (452409)
   Locale: en-CH
   WebKit: 601.1.56
  WebCore: 601.1.55
Mac Model: MacBookPro11,5
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 8
CPU Speed: 2.500000 GHz
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2015-10-09 10:44:24 +0000
  • Level 5

Today we shipped Evernote for Mac 6.2 Beta 2.  This release continues to fix issues in the Beta 1 release.  Some of the highlights are:

Hi Markus,

I want to report some problems. Some of them have already been reported by others:

1. The Evernote window only opens after clicking the dock-icon twice or using Spotlight-search twice.
  2. The tags menu lacks a scrollbar when it is not able to show all tags starting with a certain letter.
  3. When the snippet list in the snipped view is too wide the notes URL and date move out of the screen although there is enough space available (see the liitle movie here: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAnzlnORBQlGwZc34HBDJO-HWu2Dz9nxWe0)

I am having an issue where the text of my notes is not displaying. In the web client they display and work fine, but in the Mac client it's just invisible. I can see that the note text exists because it is showing up in the note snippet on the side. Screenshot attached. 

I signed out of my account. Re-login and still doesn't work. 

I installed the app, re-downloaded from app store and installed - still doesn't work. 

Not sure what the issue is. 

I am experiencing the same with inline PDFs : very often they don't appear, until I click in the note (or in the previewed -empty- PDF)

I am having an issue where the text of my notes is not displaying. In the web client they display and work fine, but in the Mac client it's just invisible. I can see that the note text exists because it is showing up in the note snippet on the side. Screenshot attached. 

I signed out of my account. Re-login and still doesn't work. 

I installed the app, re-downloaded from app store and installed - still doesn't work. 

Not sure what the issue is. 

post-264583-0-70356300-1443961539_thumb.

• Level 5

Hi Marcus,

First, I like to agree with vandevyver's statement. It happend many times already with Evernote that design decisions that might be necessary for mobile applications due to the limited space are also used for clients which can make use of much more space. I do not understand why you prefer an "uncluttered" design over useability. When I need a nice view I do not look at my computer screen. With my computer I want to get my work done.

Second, I want to report another problem. When editing a longer note clipped with the Evernote Web Clipper in Firefox on my MacBook Air it happend twice that the editor toolbar started moving when scrolling. I created a small video. You can find it here:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAnpnPHJIGpKJI3cOMA9T2g2RfL21oeSYt0

Tag field : scrollbar is gone.

When adding a tag for a note, previous to 6.2 b2, the tag window showed all tags that matched the characters entered.

If there were more, the window was scrollable.

In this beta release, the scroll bar is gone.

When entering a tag, I only see a very limited list of matching tags.

I hope this is a beta glitch and not on purpose?

If on purpose, I am Evernote becomes hard to use for me.

Kind regards

Luc

Hi Luc, I'll check with our design team but I think this might be by design.  I think I know the answer but I'd like to hear your explanation of why a scrollbar is preferable to just typing another letter.  I think this is more like Google's auto-complete where they don't have a scrollbar either.

Hi Marcus,

why I need a scrollbar :

- I don't know all my tags (hundreds)by heart

- So typing some letters, and ability to scroll tells me quickly if I already have the tag I am looking for.

- Ability to scroll is also much faster than keep on typing tag-characters till it appears in the (very short) list.

- If I cannot scroll, I also have to do much guessing how I named the tag I am looking for

So this means : no scrolling : wasting time or risking assigning 'similar' tags, and need for cleanup later.

I hope you reconsider a simple thing such as scrollbar as it is one the latest non-beta version

---

While we are discussing tags : on IOS they are a pain in the ...

I use an hierarchy in my tagging, but IOS-version shows only 12 characters or so.

I see now that Evernotes brings this policy to Mac as well : result : always truncated labels.

see the screenshot.

This is a showstopper for me.

Please bring the good stuff to the other platforms, but not the limitations from IOS to the desktop apps.

Microsoft's oneNote is becoming tempting !

---

Thanks for listening

Luc

Truncated labels.pdf

post-82313-0-78469100-1443946856_thumb.p

I just upgraded to El Cap and now the Evernote beta (most recent) is hanging.  After force quit,  Apple error log dump lists condition as "hang".

If the text of one of the log dumps be helpful, let me know and I'll send. 

Jay

Hi Marcus,

any news on simplified article formatting? It seems this new "responsive"  format has spread through almost all Evernote Products (Mac, iOS, Windows, Windows Touch - and to some degree Evernote Web App, but there is set paragraph, albeit wider than usual). Only Evernote Clipper keeps (nowadays false) preview with default 

Honestly, I do not see benefit, the old set paragraph was much easier to read. Personally, I reverted to 6.0.16, just to have my thousands of articles readable.

If this is intended  display format for future, please inform us.

I'm not sure.  I'll check with our common editor team.

When adding a tag for a note, previous to 6.2 b2, the tag window showed all tags that matched the characters entered.

Kind regards

Luc

Hi Luc, I'll check with our design team but I think this might be by design.  I think I know the answer but I'd like to hear your explanation of why a scrollbar is preferable to just typing another letter.  I think this is more like Google's auto-complete where they don't have a scrollbar either.

• Level 5*

I agree with Vandevyver. Being unable to scroll the tags is not very user friendly. I don't care personally about the scrollbar so much, but I should be able to do the two-finger gesture on my touchpad to scroll. As it is now, it only bounces the note up and down when the tag list is showing.

It is also inconsistent to the control right next to it - the notebook selector. I'm not trying to give anyone some crazy minimalist idea, but why not just make that dialog box show 5-6 notebooks, don't allow scrolling, and force the user to type more? [do not implement that - I am being sarcastic!]

Evernote seems to be heading down a path of uber-minimalism everywhere, yet as a minimalist myself, I assure you the decisions and choices I make in how I decide what posessions to keep and what to get rid of in no way make my life more frustrating. At the current direction, EN will eventually become Notepad with a green icon. I remember a lot of useful features we used to have in Windows (icons next to notebooks that at a glance you could quickly tell what was offline, what was online, and what was shared, a subject line for a note that never vanished from the screen, etc.) that are all gone now not due to improved functionality, but someone's misguided design philosophy.

The tags and some of the icons above the note content are hard to see or read as gray icons or text on a white background. The tags can be hard to read while editing when they're displayed as light blue text on a light gray background with the editing field outlined in a matching light blue. The same is true for the tag completion drop-down with light blue text on a white background.

When the tag editing field has focus or when mousing over that bar it would be nice if the icons and tag editing UI had more contrast against the white background.

• Level 5

Very sorry no scroll bar visible in the note tag field.

Yes, my fault. I thought I was on b2 because I did the update but the update obviously did not work. I tried again without an error message but was still on b1. Only un- and re-install worked. Now I am on b2 and the scrollbar is indeed gone.

The toolbar looks different as well and I really don't like it that much. I also have to click on the Evernote Icon twice to see the main window. I really hope that is going to be resolved soon.

• Level 5*

I sent the dropbox link to an ENEX file for a note with HTML that causes the header and toolbar to vanish in a note. This beta is still affected by it.

Kind regards

Luc

I am using 6.2 b2 as well and I can scroll the tag menu:

EvernoteTagMenu.jpg

Very sorry no scroll bar visible in the note tag field.

post-82313-0-86183700-1443885372_thumb.p

• Level 5

Kind regards

Luc

I am using 6.2 b2 as well and I can scroll the tag menu:

EvernoteTagMenu.jpg

Kind regards

Luc

Hi Marcus,

any news on simplified article formatting? It seems this new "responsive"  format has spread through almost all Evernote Products (Mac, iOS, Windows, Windows Touch - and to some degree Evernote Web App, but there is set paragraph, albeit wider than usual). Only Evernote Clipper keeps (nowadays false) preview with default 

Honestly, I do not see benefit, the old set paragraph was much easier to read. Personally, I reverted to 6.0.16, just to have my thousands of articles readable.

If this is intended  display format for future, please inform us.

post-263254-0-57953300-1443860330_thumb.

post-263254-0-34413600-1443860332_thumb.

• Level 5

When El Capitan was released I had sometimes to click on icon after starting to make the window open.

With the 6.2 beta it seems ok.

With 6.2 beta 2 I still need to click the dock-icon twice or perform a spotlight search twice to open Evernote's main window.

When El Capitan was released I had sometimes to click on icon after starting to make the window open.

With the 6.2 beta it seems ok.

Support for markdown is nice, but what about headers ? Would be much appreciated.

More appreciated, a way to export to markdown (even with glitches).

If I could wish it would be a editing view and a display view where the editing view would accept Markdown. Having this as an alternative to the current implementation would be a huge improvement ... at least to me

+1 I am using Evernote since years but the missing plain-text editing with markdown makes the use of Evernote for prof. writing exercises useless.

Here is one thing with the editor that is driving me crazy. This note is generated by a script on my iPhone that pulls out stuff from my calendar, formatted as markdown and then converts it to HTML before sending it to Evernote. The "bold stuff" is h-tags. This is what happens when I try to edit it Evernote (if I edit it on the web client different things happens): https://goo.gl/photos/VHdsTE5gXhUjcRJf6

Every time I try to actually use Evernote for writing notes, instead of just capture web pages, storing photos/screenshots/PDFs etc something like this happens and I go back to my non-Evernote solution. In my opinion the choice of using HTML for storing notes isn't the best solution, it becomes too much of a hassle to keep formatting similar (since there are no styles) and editing HTML is ... should we say sub-optimal. 

While I understand that I'm probably in a very small group of Evernote users and that most users are satisfied with the current solution, I think that having a non-WYSIWYG method of writing notes would be a huge improvement to Evernote.

If I could wish it would be a editing view and a display view where the editing view would accept Markdown. Having this as an alternative to the current implementation would be a huge improvement ... at least to me  :D

Three things:

1. About 90% of the time, I need to click the Evernote icon on the dock a second time for the Main window to appear.  10.10. 5

2. I can't create a new note by dragging and dropping a file (PDF) onto the dock icon.  Nothing happens. Same is true if invoked via AppleScript. AppleScript times out.  Drag and drop has no message, and there's nothing in the Console log or Evernote activity log. 

3. Account Info isn't available under the Evernote menu or the Account Name button on the toolbar.  It's grayed out. 

And one other big request, while we're submitting feedback and all.  Please, for the love of Evernote Premium and SSDs, let us have some sort of selective sync.  With a 10 GB / mo upload limit on notes, that'd be 120 GB / year.  Of course, that's an extreme, but it still adds up.  I have 34000+ notes with a total Evernote folder under Application Support of about 18.7 GB. With the exception of Dropbox, nothing takes up even half that amount.  That's crazy, and it just gets worse as time goes by. 

The notebooks view on the iMac appears to be missing the toolbar buttons to see the skeuomorphic presentation of notebooks, only seeing the responsive, narrow view. Whereas on the MacBook Pro I am still able to switch to the tiled notebooks format. Both are running Beta 2, I believe.

Removed inline markdown-inspired formatting.

Aww noo! This was the change I was most excited about in these new betas. :(

I can totally see how these shortcuts would interfere with users who use the app in certain ways, but for others (myself included) they were a huge boon! Any chance of having Markdown-style formatting as an (off by default) power user option in Preferences?

Hmm, having read over the feedback on the Markdown support that was in Beta 1, I do agree with your decision to remove it. Supporting just a small subset of Markdown formatting language as shortcuts for applying rich text formatting that immediately loses its Markdown semantics is not really a win, since all of these formatting commands are already available as keyboard shortcuts. I’m happy to keep using Sublime Text’s Evernote package to round-trip Markdown notes, and leave the door open to more fully-baked Markdown support in future (perhaps tied to a Semantic Editing).

Removed inline markdown-inspired formatting.

Aww noo! This was the change I was most excited about in these new betas. :(

I can totally see how these shortcuts would interfere with users who use the app in certain ways, but for others (myself included) they were a huge boon! Any chance of having Markdown-style formatting as an (off by default) power user option in Preferences?

Since you guys removed the inline formatting (I guess I was part of the minority that was happy with this feature!), would it be possible to add a code block button? The `` shortcut in the previous version was a god send, I would love to be able to store all my code snippets/programming notes in the same place and not have to use different applications. Thank you! 

A number if issues.

1. I second the point from above: the non-scrolling tag-dropdown is really (!!) annoying. Please revert to old behavior.

2. entering tags has become a pain. I see similar stuff like from the previous poster. When Evernote syncs (which seems to use a lot of processor power), most other things hang, tags especially. Sometimes I cannot edit tags at all also independent of sync. This seems to happen especially when using saved searches (as far as I can tell). After calling a saved search, the tag field sometimes does not respond at all, or becomes erratic. This is only the case when I edit within the main window. A workaround is to open the note by double clicking (which is annoying when processing many notes).

3. I have a lot of saved searches. The list of saved searches that appears after clicking the magnifying glass in the search bar also does not scroll if the list is longer than the screen fits. This is actually an old bug that seems to never have been fixed (or reported?).

4. It seems that the origin of a saved note (web adress, mail app identifier) is not always shown (I mean in the main note view, not in the Info window). After rebooting, the links are now there, but they were not before. Furthermore, it is unpractical that the link disappears when I click into the note to edit.

5. Unclear what the logic for the switching of the options bar is. When I want to see tags and notebook, then I have to click into the note title first. But it is hidden when I edit a note. This information should be displayed all the time.

Thanks for listening!

• Level 5*

Can something be done about the tag field? When EN starts syncing in the background (or doing something in the background), when I am typing tags, it removes text. For example, I wanted to tag a note "documentation" and usually typing doc gets it, but for some reason the "d" got removed and the note got tagged "oc". So then I have to remove the tag from the note, and then go find the tag in the tag list and delete it.

It is to the point sometimes before tagging I'll force a manual sync an hope I can get some work done before it starts again.

Archived