Desktop shortcut to a single note?

Go to solution Solved by Jason Casey,

Since the last "upgrade" there doesn't seem to be any way to create a 1x1 desktop shortcut to a single specific note. Am I missing it? If it's truly been removed, are there any suggestions for an Evernote replacement that has a single note shortcut capability? Thanks.

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

You can add a shortcut to a specific note by following these steps:

1. Open the note

2. Tap on the three dots in the top right corner to open the overflow menu

3. Tap on 'Add to home screen' and that 1x1 shortcut should appear on your home screen.

1. Open the note

3. Tap on 'Add to home screen' and that 1x1 shortcut should appear on your home screen.

Perfect! Thanks, Jason. I'm once again a happy camper :)

• 1 month later...

1. Open the note

Hi Jason, thank you for this.

But, sorry, I did not find the 3 dots and the "overfolw" menu. I am in the Windows application.

What I have been able to do is to create a shortcut on my Windows desktop by selecting and dragging the note to my desktop.

In fact, I did not try to do that. I would like to know the "true" link of a dedicated note for scripting.

I use AutoHotKey, my script is:

; Pour lancer Blender, Evernote et le tuto chez OpenClassRooms ; Touches : Win + b

; Nov. 215 - José Relland

;

#b::   ; Touche Win + b minuscule pour Blender

run, C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\blender.exe

run, https://openclassrooms.com/courses/debutez-dans-la-3d-avec-blender

run, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote\Tuto Blender OpenClassRoom (2.5 de juin 2011 - nov. 2015 2.76).enex

Return

As I can reach directly this note, I have been obliged to create this shortcut, put this shortcut in a safe place, link this shortcut with its application!

The best thing would be to have the "true" link.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards, José

1. Open the note

• 1 year later...

i want to create a shortcut to a SPECIFIC NOTE (not to a specific Notebook - to a specific note) on my Windows 7 based PC (not on a smart phone, nor a Mac etc).

I've tried to follow the instructions given (multiple times) in the thread above but cannot - because there are no "Three dots" to tap to open an "overflow menu".

There IS something (a down arrow with a bar across the top) on the top right that opens something which might be interpreted as an "overflow menu" - but this menu contains no "Add to home screen" option (it has options like "Reminder", "Present" and "Customize").

Apologies in advance if I am being dim, but I cannot yet find a way to add a shortcut icon to my PC desktop which will open a specific note. Please help

PS I am quite capable of setting up an icon on the desktop and adding a target program to it - but I would need to know what precise command to issue - hence help of the form "Issue this command in a DOS command line" would be quite acceptable.

• Level 5

Hi @Adrian46, and welcome to the forums! At the moment, the problem is that this is the Android Help forum rather than Windows Help, and the instructions offered earlier were for the Android app. (Evernote's interface looks quite different on different platforms.)

But given what you've said, I think the following should work for you. In the Note List (the middle column) in the Evernote Windows program, click on the note you want to link to and open the Note menu (or just right-click the note). Hold down the Ctrl key and select Copy Note Link. Holding down Ctrl produces a link of the form evernote:///view/12345678/blah-12345-blah/ and puts it on the Windows clipboard. This is a link that will open the Evernote program (if it's not visible) and open the note in question in its own window. Then it's just a matter of creating a shortcut on the desktop and pasting this link into it. It's the evernote:///view/ at the start of the link that is essential. Hope this is what you need.

• Like 2

Hello Dave-in-Decatur.

Thanks for your helpful reply - despite the fact that I am in the wrong forum!

However, I think your solution is pointing me to the Evernote Web-server's version of my note. I would much prefer to access my local copy (ie the one on my laptop) as i often do not have internet access.

Best wishes,

Adrian46

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Adrian46 said:

However, I think your solution is pointing me to the Evernote Web-server's version of my note. I would much prefer to access my local copy (ie the one on my laptop) as i often do not have internet access.

The url in your shortcut can be a browser link or an in-apt link (evernote:///view...) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, Adrian46 said:

However, I think your solution is pointing me to the Evernote Web-server's version of my note. I would much prefer to access my local copy (ie the one on my laptop) as i often do not have internet access

Hmm. The general way Evernote works is that a note on your laptop is synced to the EN servers so that you can then access it on your phone, tablet, desktop, on a public computer, etc. There should not be a difference between a local version of the note and the synced/server version, unless, as you say, you've worked on the note without Internet access. Once you have access again, the note should sync automatically.

At any rate, I would assume that the Ctrl+Copy Note Link method would create a usable link to a still-unsynced note as it exists on your laptop even without net access. Forgive me for being pedantic, but are you sure you're holding down Ctrl while selecting Copy Note Link? If you don't, then  indeed the link you get might not work while you're offline. Sorry if I'm being dense; I'm just a little confused about the scenario.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5
On 5/25/2017 at 3:14 PM, djmoonbootsplur said:

There is one more alternative that I use and that is Evernote Sticky Notes. A must have.

How is that an alternative solution to the problem(s) in this thread (especially since this is the Android forum, and EN Sticky Notes is a Windows program)? Looks like marketing spam. Reported.

• 2 months later...

I'm giving a Windows answer even though this is Android because some Windows folks have ended up here. I have Windows 10.  I copied the note link and then made a new shortcut on my desktop. I then used the note address for the shortcut. The first time I double clicked the shortcut, it showed the note in my browser (it could not be edited). But then a window popped up asking me if I wanted to open it in the Evernote program on my computer. I clicked "Remember my choice" and YES. Now my Evernote shortcuts automatically open in the Evernote program with full editing capabilities. Hoping that helps someone!!  It is very handy to be able to open a note up quickly.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bookit said:

I'm giving a Windows answer even though this is Android because some Windows folks have ended up here.

Thanks, but please don't do that in the future. We usually aim to direct them to an appropriate answer (or place to post a request) elsewhere in the forum. Yes, people get lost in here, but let's not intentionally mix things up if at all possible.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, bookit said:

I'm giving a Windows answer even though this is Android because some Windows folks have ended up here.

Very interesting. There's actually a thread going on in the Windows forum just now on a related topic. Someone there might find this helpful; you might post it there.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

I read a lot of topic on the internet about if it is possible to create a desktop shortcut for a single note on android or iPhone device but I didn't find any information about that. I guess this option is not available anymore. I'm right?