Jump to content

Error message on start up

Recommended Posts

I have started getting this message on evernote start:


"the operation you have attempted to perform cannot be completed
error: note title "windows keyboard shortcut description"

problem: has invalid characters"

This comes up every time I start evernote, before I try to attempt any operation, I am also unable to find any note title or content like "windows keyboard shortcut description" in any of the notes, the only result from searches of all notes is for 'windows'.


Any sugestions for stopping it?

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sounds like there's a rogue character somewhere.  I'd suggest -

  • Uninstall the Clipper,  restart your browser,  reinstall it,  and log into Evernote again.
  • If that didn't resolve the issue,  Evernote > Tools > Options > General to check the location of your Databases folder (you can open it from there too..)
  • File > Exit Evernote and then copy the Databases folder to your desktop.  - This is a contingency copy in case something goes wrong with a reinstall*.
  • Uninstall / Restart / Reinstall Evernote and log back in.
  • If that doesn't fix it,  you need to talk to Support!


Basic users don't get email support,  (except for bug reports,  or payment / account access issues)  but if you're Plus or Premium submit a request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

All users can contact Twitter @Evernotehelps

In either case include the forum thread URL for extra background.

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.


* It's not a bad idea to set up a batch file to do this regularly anyway...

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

This happened to me also.  And, sadly, the comments so far didn't help.  I couldn't find the note that Evernote was having trouble with.

Poking around my PC, I found the directory C:\Users\your name here\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs and saw there were two recent log files.  I opened one and it was pretty clear the problem was that it couldn't import a file from my import directory because of illegal characters,  In this case, the web page I'd copied and pasted text from had used odd single and double quote characters.  I replaced them with regular ones and restarted Evernote.

Problem solved!  No more error messages!

You may have a different issue, but the log files are probably a good place to start your search.


Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...