Evernote for Android 7.2 Release

Theresa Pittappilly

Idea

Last week we released Evernote for Android v7.2 to the Play Store.

In this update we introduced a new and improved Evernote widget that is part of the main Evernote app. There is no need to install a separate widget to get Evernote functionality right on your home screen. Read the blog post here to learn about the changes and improvements we made. 

There are known issues with certain launchers where the widgets are not showing up. If you don't see the widget please reboot your device or try looking in the shortcuts section on your device. If you still don't see the new widgets please let me know what device and OS you're on and if you installed your own launcher. Do let us know of any other issues or feedback you have.

Thanks in advance! 

51 replies to this idea

Hi!

I have an Xperia Z3 Compact and I cannot see the 'Actions widget (1×1)', only the Action bar (4×1) and List widget (4×2). My OS is the Android 4.4.4 with the default launcher from Sony and I don't pretend to upgrade to Lollipop, since this version has a critical bug which will be fixed only in version 6, Marshmellow (https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=165558).

Nilton.

Hello. I have had the same problem with my Xperia L, 4.2.2., standard launcher. After installing 7.2 and uninstalling the old Widget app all my old widgets dissappeared. But moving the app again from the SD card to the phone and rebooting, the List widget and Action bar appeared. But the Action widget (1x1) don't, and it's precisely this what I need and use in the previous version. Do you know what happened or what i have to do in order to have it? Thank you very much

Some devices places the 1x1 in the shortcuts section. Can you check to see if you see it there?

I updated my os to lollipop and I'm back to having no list widget. It appears when I move Evernote off the SD card, but disappears when I move it back to the card. Very disappointing.

Galaxy s5, Evernote 7.2, Nova launcher.

Unfortunately that's an Android limitation. The app needs to be stored on your internal device storage to access the widgets. We have found that for some people un-installing and re-installing the app fixes the situation. However a reboot will get you back into this same state. 

Hi!

I have an Xperia Z3 Compact and I cannot see the 'Actions widget (1×1)', only the Action bar (4×1) and List widget (4×2). My OS is the Android 4.4.4 with the default launcher from Sony and I don't pretend to upgrade to Lollipop, since this version has a critical bug which will be fixed only in version 6, Marshmellow (https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=165558).

Nilton.

Please check the shortcuts section of your launcher. We have found that some devices place the 1x1 there. Let me know if you find it. 

Hello. I have had the same problem with my Xperia L, 4.2.2., standard launcher. After installing 7.2 and uninstalling the old Widget app all my old widgets dissappeared. But moving the app again from the SD card to the phone and rebooting, the List widget and Action bar appeared. But the Action widget (1x1) don't, and it's precisely this what I need and use in the previous version. Do you know what happened or what i have to do in order to have it? Thank you very much

Some devices places the 1x1 in the shortcuts section. Can you check to see if you see it there?

I updated my os to lollipop and I'm back to having no list widget. It appears when I move Evernote off the SD card, but disappears when I move it back to the card. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately that's an Android limitation. The app needs to be stored on your internal device storage to access the widgets. We have found that for some people un-installing and re-installing the app fixes the situation. However a reboot will get you back into this same state. 

Hi!

Nilton.

Please check the shortcuts section of your launcher. We have found that some devices place the 1x1 there. Let me know if you find it. 

Thank you, Theresa. I found it in the shortcuts section of my launcher!

Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with the list widget: I chose "reminders" to be shown and sort notes by date. The widget shows all notes with date reminders correctly but doesn't show those notes with dateless reminders properly. When sorting notes by notebooks all notes are visible in the widget (even those with dateless reminders).

Is this behaviour reproducible?

Axel

I'm on a LG G3 with android 5.0.

It's not that I have no widgets. I have the individual action widgets. I'm missing the action bar and list widgets.

Hi!

Nilton.

• Level 5*

Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with the list widget: I chose "reminders" to be shown and sort notes by date. The widget shows all notes with date reminders correctly but doesn't show those notes with dateless reminders properly. When sorting notes by notebooks all notes are visible in the widget (even those with dateless reminders).

Is this behaviour reproducible?

Axel

I'm on a LG G3 with android 5.0.

If I choose reminders / sort by date,  I get all the dates (obviously) in order.  At the bottom of my list I get 'unscheduled reminders' which -I assume- are the undated ones.  Is this the kind of thing you mean?

I've attached two screenshots to clarify what I mean. 

First one shows the widget sorted by notebook. I've got four notes with reminders. Two of them with dates and the other two unscheduled ones which are in the notebook "jobs". All notes are displayed in a correct way.

The second screenshot shows the widget sorted by date. You can see that the two notes with scheduled reminders are still there but the other ones aren't displayed properly. I've marked them with red arrows.

post-271868-0-81302400-1443906151_thumb.

post-271868-0-51370100-1443906152_thumb.

Saved Search Gone:

Very disappointed that the Saved Searches feature was removed!   I use Evernote for my GTD implementation, as well,  and constantly switch the widget to show my relevant next actions.   Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had a feature forcefully removed from software.    

My workaround is to save all of my saved searches as “Shortcuts” (by dragging them to the shortcut bar using the Windows app)  and use this list of shortcuts to quickly jump to the appropriate saved search inside the Android Evernote app –otherwise,  “Evernote List” widget is now useless to me.

Quick Photo Gone:

The “Camera” action bar item is not always saving my photos to the default notebook (Inbox), like the “quick photo” did –I now have to make sure I scroll all the way to the top and look at the saved notebook, before clicking the green checkmark ---not so quick anymore!

Summary:

Please add the “Saved Search” and “Quick Photo” features back to the “Evernote List” widget.

YES VERY DISAPPOINTED FOR ME TOO TO SEE SAVED SEARCH VANISH IN EVERNOTE WIDGET UPDATE , I TOO USE IT FOR MY GTD METHODOLOGY

This is a complaint. Your multi widget does not work on my launcher. (nova) because the NAME of my notebook is all that shows up. 

Please give me the option of turning OFF the name function. 

ALSO - please add back the "quick photo" option - why would you take away a function like that?

--

I can use individual widgets, but they all look the same. NOTE: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DON'T WANT. I want each of my widgets to look different, so I can tell them apart. 

So, the central application I use on my phone is now far more difficult for me.

I am angry and frustrated. I really liked how it was. No thanks for "fixing" it for me.

I kinda echo @teloscientist frustrations.  

Like:

• The new Simple Note feature

Dislike:

• Not having the quick/lightening photo action - this was so useful for snapping quick images on the move with two taps (which could be 'filed' at later). Would love to see this come back as its simplicity made it what it was - a quick, no fuss feature.
  • Not being able to turn off displaying of the Notebook name on the 4x1 Action Bar.  Looks naff.  I know where my notes are going to be saved, I don't need to know!  Maybe useful for some but it would be nice to be able to customise it.
  • Not being able to change to dark widget theme on 4x1 Action Bar.  Grrr!  The colour doesn't suit my homescreen!

Hate to say it but I am a bit upset with Evernote tbh, especially being forced to stop using the 'old' Widget - I understand there could be comparability issues but it would have been nice to let people decide when to ditch the old widget!  I use EN as part of a GTD approach - people use EN in very specific ways (i.e. workflows) which they've tailored/adapted to make EN work for them - as we all know change has to be managed carefully and not doing so upsets people.  

I love Evernote, it's the best out there, been using it for so many years now.  I always look forward to new versions as generally they are genuine upgrades/step forward.. but in future I think I may refrain from immediately upgrading to the latest release.  Nothing mentioned here is insurmountable of course, well not for me anyway - and I've no doubt things will get fixed / improved etc, but it's just frustrating the change wasn't managed better.

YES ME TO DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THE WIDGET WITHOUT A LABEL AS TO WHAT IT IS AND THE LIGHTING PHOTO OPTION GOING ONE FINE MORNING

Hi, all.

Just to put my 2 cents:

On Galaxy Tab S Android 5.02 I have the same above mentioned bug; only Action 1 x 1 Widget if EN is on SD; restoring it to internal storage corrects this widget bug, but on the very second I move it back to SD, other widgets vanishes and I have to reinstall it again. 
As Google is trying to kill SD, I think it is not a bug, but a design choice... Anyway, Evernote may request Google to correct this non-scan-SD-bug and see what happens...

TIA

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you long-press a blank area on your home screen you should see options to add items to the screen,  including wallpapers,  widgets and (maybe) shortcuts.  I'm currently on Android 5.1.1 and just get wallpapers / widgets / homescreen settings.  If I tap the Widgets option I can then page through several screens of icons for various installed apps including Evernote.  If you do something similar,  what options do you see?

hello - 1x1 icons missing in my version of evernote widgets - using a new phone Xiaomi Mi Mix using Mi launcher - please advise hot to get the 1x1 audio recorder icon displayed. No SD card involved.

• Level 5*

Hi.  So what exactly happens when you try to add a widget to your screen? Can you see any 1x1 widgets on offer?  What happens if you select the visible icon - you should get a further option to add one of eight choices

hi. when i add a widget - i hold on the desktop - then the menu comes up - i choose widgets - evernote - two icons are displayed. once places the note list, the other places a 5 item toolbar. i want the 1x1 audio note but it is not available as a choice.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  It's inevitably going to be a suggestion - could it be some sort of incompatibility with the MIUI launcher?  Would you be willing to try uninstalling that?  I'd suggest you talk to Support before you do so though -  they may already be aware of an issue.

Reach out to them directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

I finally got all the widgets to show up and Evernote can live on the SD card, but I had to temporarily transfer it to the device.

The details are: I've got a Galaxy s5, am running Evernote 7.2 on the sd card, and use Nova Launcher. Only the action button widgets were available. Rebooting had no effect. When I moved Evernote over to the device, all the widgets became available. I added the widget I wanted (list version), and then moved Evernote back to the sd card. The widget stayed on screen and now all of the widgets are available to me.

Unfortunately, it isn't a workable option for those whose devices are severely space limited.

eta missing word

I have a Motorola Moto G 4G with Android 5.1, no custom launcher, and I only see the 1x1 action widget after upgrading to 7.2. On my Nexus 10 tablet all is OK.

Thanks Leandro for letting us know. Can you confirm that rebooting your device doesn't cause the widgets to appear? 

Glad to your hear you like the widget Morticia!

I just saw this topic (thanks gazumped). I'll quote my other post (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/88816-why-saved-searches-disappeared-from-the-new-widgets/) as it is also relevant here:

In the old widgets you were able to choose from your saved searches to filter the notes displayed. This seems not possible anymore. 

Why is this functionality disappeared? Same thing happened with batch email clipping in the desktop version lately. Is this development team aware people actually work with this software and use a process which is broken when functionality is decreased? 

I am really thinking about leaving Evernote if this is what I have to expect from it in the future. 

Thanks littleredhood. Glad that worked.

It is on my SD card, which is where I need it to stay due to space constraints.

Unfortunately due to an Android bug they don't scan widgets on the SD card in time to load them. One way around this is to uninstall and re-install the app. However a reboot will cause this issue to happen again. 

On Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.4.2, Evernote was previously "Move to SD Card" in Android Application Manager (not rooted):

1. After updating to EN 7.2, only 1x1 EN Action widget is visible under Widgets tab.

2. Rebooting several times caused no change in available EN widgets..

3. Added 1x1 EN Action of Simple Note to Home Screen which worked fine.

4. In Android Application Manager, changed Evernote to "Move to Device Storage" which caused 1x1 EN Action of Simple Note, created in Step 3 to disappear from Home Screen, but now all 3 EN widgets visible under Widgets tab. 

5. Added 1x4 EN Action Bar widget to Home Screen and configured with my 5 desired actions which worked fine.

6. In Android Application Manager, changed Evernote back to "Move to SD Card" which caused 1x4 EN Action Bar, created in Step 5, to disappear from Home Screen, but all 3 EN widgets still visible under Widgets tab.

7. Re-added 1x4 EN Action Bar widget to Home Screen but it showed default 5 actions so had to re-configure with my desired 5 actions which now work fine.

Only have the 1x1 action widget. Running Android 4.4.2 kit kat on a Samsung galaxy note 2 with Touchwiz 4.4.2(unsure tbh)

Thanks to the post above, moving Evernote back to device storage revealed the 2 missing widgets. I'd prefer to be able to have Evernote o the the sdcard but it's all but useless for me without the note widget, so I'll have to suffer until this is fixed.

This is a complaint. Your multi widget does not work on my launcher. (nova) because the NAME of my notebook is all that shows up. 

ALSO - please add back the "quick photo" option - why would you take away a function like that?

--

I can use individual widgets, but they all look the same. NOTE: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DON'T WANT. I want each of my widgets to look different, so I can tell them apart. 

I am angry and frustrated. I really liked how it was. No thanks for "fixing" it for me.

--

Sorry for the frustration teloscientist. Some questions for you: 

- By multi-widget do you mean the list widget? Could you please let me know what device, OS you're running? 

- For the quick photo - you can still use the photo action. The only difference is that you get dropped back into the note so that you can set the title so you can find the note later.

- For individual widgets - each 1x1 has the type of action as it's icon as well as the notebook name (in case you want to use the same action for different notebooks). This helps differentiate the widgets. How else would you like these to be represented?

--

I kinda echo @teloscientist frustrations.  

Like:

• The new Simple Note feature

Dislike:

• Not having the quick/lightening photo action - this was so useful for snapping quick images on the move with two taps (which could be 'filed' at later). Would love to see this come back as its simplicity made it what it was - a quick, no fuss feature.
  • Not being able to turn off displaying of the Notebook name on the 4x1 Action Bar.  Looks naff.  I know where my notes are going to be saved, I don't need to know!  Maybe useful for some but it would be nice to be able to customise it.
  • Not being able to change to dark widget theme on 4x1 Action Bar.  Grrr!  The colour doesn't suit my homescreen!

Hate to say it but I am a bit upset with Evernote tbh, especially being forced to stop using the 'old' Widget - I understand there could be comparability issues but it would have been nice to let people decide when to ditch the old widget!  I use EN as part of a GTD approach - people use EN in very specific ways (i.e. workflows) which they've tailored/adapted to make EN work for them - as we all know change has to be managed carefully and not doing so upsets people.  

I love Evernote, it's the best out there, been using it for so many years now.  I always look forward to new versions as generally they are genuine upgrades/step forward.. but in future I think I may refrain from immediately upgrading to the latest release.  Nothing mentioned here is insurmountable of course, well not for me anyway - and I've no doubt things will get fixed / improved etc, but it's just frustrating the change wasn't managed better.

Saved Search Gone:

Very disappointed that the Saved Searches feature was removed!   I use Evernote for my GTD implementation, as well,  and constantly switch the widget to show my relevant next actions.   Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had a feature forcefully removed from software.    

My workaround is to save all of my saved searches as “Shortcuts” (by dragging them to the shortcut bar using the Windows app)  and use this list of shortcuts to quickly jump to the appropriate saved search inside the Android Evernote app –otherwise,  “Evernote List” widget is now useless to me.

Quick Photo Gone:

The “Camera” action bar item is not always saving my photos to the default notebook (Inbox), like the “quick photo” did –I now have to make sure I scroll all the way to the top and look at the saved notebook, before clicking the green checkmark ---not so quick anymore!

Summary:

Please add the “Saved Search” and “Quick Photo” features back to the “Evernote List” widget.

Thanks for your feedback folks. We've added saved searches if you have them to the list of options for the 4x2 widget. Stay tuned for the next release coming soon. We have started to look at adding dark theme options in the customization screens and have added quick camera to our backlog to investigate next. 

Glad folks like the simple note functionality. Do let us know if you run into any more issues. Thanks for all the feedback. 

Archived